Broadcast Period: 5/4/2020 - 5/30/2020

Cast:

Allen Ren

Yinger

He Du Juan

Liu Huan

Liu Xue Yi

Synopsis:

Our hero is a young man emanating with patriotism and begins his career in Hong Kong, helping with the establishment of a military base and an intelligence agency. To collect information about the Japanese, he goes by the name Qiu Chan and with the two identities coming into conflicts with the work and people around, he encounters many dangerous situations. When his identity is exposed, he’s caught and interrogated in Japan, only read moreescaping with the help of his true love. They are a group of young people ready to die for the greater cause of their country and they continue to fight alongside each other.

Cr mydramalist

**Please use spoiler tags for those who have not seen the episodes yet**

Episodes:

OSTs:

Additional Links:

Autumn Cicada 秋蝉 English Subbed Episodes

RULES of SOOMPI
Don't post any requests for subs! Anything unrelated to the drama plot is considered spamming. Don't quote images. Due to the copyright/legal problems, no illegal streaming links will/should be posted on this thread as there had been major crackdowns going on lately. Any complaints about any streaming links will be counted as spam and will be reported to the mods.Any complaints of the respective companies such as Viki, youtube, etc. should be reported to the respective companies instead of posting your complaints here. Those who are caught breaking the Soompi posting rules more than 5 times will have their ID/IDs reported to the mods. Those who are caught promoting/posting illegal streaming links with subs (those without permission from the original subbers and doesn't have copyrights like Viki, Dramafever or Crunchyroll) will have their ID reported to the mods for endangering Soompi to legal issues for illegal streaming sites promotions. PLEASE GIVE CREDIT TO WHERE CREDIT IS DUE

Spoiler

• Like 2

• sugarplum892 changed the title to [Current Mainland Chinese Drama 2020] Autumn Cicada 秋蝉
2 hours ago, leslie02 said:

I'll just be glad to see a new series with Allen Ren so that I can stop rewatching episodes of Under the Power...

So true for me too.  I am just glad that it's a spy drama which I prefer over tradgedies like the other two dramas that he has starred in the recent past prior to UTP.  Looking forward to seeing Han Dong, the villain in UTP.  However brief his appearance may be.  It will also be interesting to see Lu Yi's uncle (Gai Shu?) as his archenemy in this drama.

• Like 1

LOL Getting 嘉伦 the views he deserves. :lol: 

MangoTV is literally making videos of both LuYi and Ye Chong in one and I’m so done. :lol::lol:  But I highkey love it. They are really not letting DaRen go like that. Lu DaRen is the only RJL character that deserve rights (to be consistently) mentioned. LOL 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, angelangie said:

at least 2 episode a day and 1 episode only on Saturday

For the whole month of May! Maybe instead of Autumn Cicada, it should be called Spring Spider or May Moth:D.  I normally watch shows through YouTube, Netflix or Amazon  Prime and this is not on any of those yet  so I have to wait a few days before somebody gets to it I think.  I don't mind waiting a few more days for more episodes to come out anyway.  

Btw, that ultimate supporter gets my vote for most devoted fan.  That is way out of my realm of thinking.  I wonder if that person is under lockdown due to Covid.   I can totally see a person going that extreme under lockdown with all the time on their hands and nothing to do:D.

Lol, for real. I don’t even have that many devices to stream. They doing God’s work. Hahah! 

I name my favorite actors after each month based on when I watched their drama. Hahaha! Li Xian is my June boyfriend, Deng Lun is my August boyfriend although Xu Kai temporarily took that name last August. Now RJL is my May boyfriend, although originally my January, winter boyfriend. LOLOL 

Is this drama a happy ending or no? Hmm. 

On 5/4/2020 at 2:30 PM, rose_loves_ice said:

this drama a happy ending or no? Hmm. 

That would depend on one's definition of happy ending.  I have low standard of happy ending for dramas of this type of setting, namely war.  I wouldn't even hope for any happily ever after. I would be happy if the lead does not die in the end.  If he does, I hope it is well done and for a good reason in the overall plot resolution.  

Spoiler

I saw the first episode and Han Dong's character survived less than 10 minutes of screen time.   They must have cut a few of his minutes in the process of editing to fit 60 episodes originally into the scheduled 49 episodes.

I watched the first episode raw and some part with Vietnamese sub and I like it so far. It moved so fast if you take a restroom break without pausing you will miss somebody meeting their fates:D.  It's kind of funny in that the things that the bad guys used to be able to get away with is now enjoyed by the spy which is the bad guy for one side and the good guy for the other side.  I am referring to the dynamics of Ye Chong(?) the character played by RJL, and the one played by the actor who play Gai Shu in UTP (I am sorry I am terrible with names).  It should be interesting watching their cat and mouse game.

btw, the rating for 5/5 remained third, with the same order as 5/4 but the number went up from around 65 to around 76 in whatever unit is used in that rating graph @angelangie posted yesterday.  

• Like 1

Hi all,

Woah... It has been so long logging in to soompi. Ren Jia Lun has awaken my fangirl mode. I watched Under The Power and loved both Seven Tan and Jialun. Amazing chemistry. Amazing acting.

Now, that he has a new drama, I should come to this forum of cos. Anyone knows if this drama is getting subtitled? 

I Just checked YouTube again and there's English sub for first episode if anyone wants to give it a try:

@JC's Lingxi You are right, the top two are of Wang Kai and the first one is towards the ending episodes.  Not sure about how far along the second one is but it started airing before Hunting, which is the one ranked first.

• Like 1

I started this one, and am loving the chemistry between ML and FL. Will there be some romance in here, or light romance?

The plot is developing nicely, and ML is cute. I heard his voice actor before, I wonder who voice him? 

FL looks reminds me of Yang Mi, she looks cute and pretty like Yang Mi^^

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2020 at 9:51 PM, Lawyerh said:

UTP under the power? I also think to try this. 

Btw I think Allan Ren more suitable for wuxia drama. I felt, for republican setting his acting felt a bit stiff? The way he hold the gun, not the most convincing one either. Or maybe it's just me. The chemistry with the FL also felt a bit lacking. 

The villain really steal the show imo. Have you finish this drama?

@Lawyerh I would tend to agree with you about Allen Ren.  He is too fierce for a republican drama - he is too calm and lacks angst.  Although Siege in Fog had its flaws, the Republican era was so unstable so the emotions reflected should have been unstable too.  So even though Elvis Han over-acted, it was more reflective of that era.

Allen Ren's characterizations always seem to present confidence and steel - and no wavering.  His characterizations are more about stoicism and repressed passions - during the Republican era, people were driven by passion and emotions ran high.  So wuxia does make more sense.

However I love the costumes of the Republican era and all the sharp tailoring of that era.   Every male looks very smart and  sharp.  And evening formal wear elevated men to another level.  Great eye candy.

1 hour ago, Lawyerh said:

@rosamundekingsley99_stvbtw don't you feel his hairline a bit funny? He look like Astro Boy haha

But having said all that, I think I will continue revisit with ep7 someday. Cos I think some scenes do look interesting. Eventhough I braced myself for tragedy? Spy drama normally won't have rosy ending. 

@Lawyerh So I kind of like the windswept look, except that yes, I do agree with you - there is an Astro boy feel to it.

With any drama from this period, I brace for a sad ending.  Siege in Fog - case in point.  And this era was a deeply tumultuous period - no one who got through it alive was ever in one piece mentally, unless they locked away all the memories in a deep part, never to be taken out again.

You know, I watched Li Man in a couple of episodes - I think that the problem with this drama on a couple of fronts:

1) Ren Jialun is almost too "still waters run deep" for this drama - if you recall this era, it was all about partying away, hiding one's pain under a false pretense of sheer happiness and gaiety, as if one did not care about anything  - I can't ever see Ren Jialun playing that kind of role - that is more an Elvis Han type of role .  And again, there is no second guessing with any of Ren Jialun's character except with The Glory of the Tang Dynasty, and he had a baby face enough back then to pull that off.  Now he has hit over 30, Ren Jialun's features have matured that he can't pull that off now.

2) I think that Li Man's character is too weak against Ye Chong -  she just seems rather hysterical like Qin Sang in Siege in Fog (until Qin Sang let go of her hate and recriminations to learn how to love again), and she just seems too meek and mild.  Because Ren Jialun pretty much captures the screen and has a large presence, he needs a strong female character against him, which is why Tan Songyun worked for him in Under the Power (which now ranks among my favorites).  I just don't understand Li Man's purpose in life or in this drama right now.

3) I am sure that the censors had their reasons, but the editing is very choppy, and it's not clear what I am missing, but I am missing something.

But again, I love the style of that era, so all the eye candy is great. :) 

• Guest changed the title to [Mainland Chinese Drama 2020] Autumn Cicada 秋蝉