[Official] ♔ WonSan Lovers || HanCheon ❤ SoHwa (Im Siwan • Im Yoona) ♔

bebe1989

10 hours ago, nyeb2tosq said:

Hi everyone!

I'm very glad that I found a place where I can discuss more about the king loves drama and of course most importantly Won and San relationship. So many thanks to @bebe1989 for opening this lovely thread! :D

I have been a silent reader on Soompi forum for yeaaaaars and finally after all these years decided to create an account so I can join on discussion. Yay!

I came to watch the drama by chance, i had just finished Seven days Queen and was experiencing withdrawal. I was still in the mood for some sageuk and the king loves was the hype at that time.

At first I wasn't interested, the casts were a bit too pretty for my liking (I know I know shouldn't judge a book by its cover -__- ). Besides that im also:

- not a fan of Yoona. Last saw her in k2 and she didnt do anything for me. Personally I think Song Yoon Ah (and Ji Chang Wook of course) owned the show.

-  do appreciate Hong Jong Hyun mighty fine look (them jawlines and high nose bridge ^^ ) and I did also enjoy HJH performance as an antagonist in Scarlett Ryeo. But he wasn't an enough force to get me started, if you know what I mean.

- aaaaand lastly, never seen anything by Im Siwan. Again, I admit I was quick to judge his beautiful flower boy look. 

However, a friend of mine, a male friend to be exact, mentioned about him (Im siwan) one day. He had just seen "the merciless" and was in awe with his acting there. His remark somehow caught my attention! I was in the mood for saguek, I felt like something new (in this case fresh face), cinematography looking good, sooo that was it! I thought i ahd nothing to lose anyway, i started the drama with no expectation, but then boy I was hooked! before ep 1 was even ended!

Phew! this ended up to be longer that I thought! Lols :tongue: I won't bore you guys with further essay, will post on separate note to discuss our won-san! Until then 친구글! 

So there you are!  I was wondering when you were going to delurk. :)  I noticed that you liked @angelwingssf post on my wall so I was hoping you'd come out of hiding on your accord. I'm glad you did. 

I agree with you. Siwan is a great actor. I understand why he chose this role, and not some other cutesy part.

I can’t help but compare him to his good friend and band member Park Hyun-Sik. PHS’s romcom would be more appealing to a wider audience because PHS played a safe role. He acted a character that was an extension of himself. Meaning, how he acted in Strong Woman DBS was how he essentially behaved as an idol doing fan-service. The swagger, the aegyo, were the same. 

With Siwan however, I think he was pushing himself beyond his idol image. As a matter of fact, when he played Won, it was hard to reconcile his autocratic, dominating ways with his image as a singer on a boy band, gyrating his hips on stage to pop music. 

To me, Siwan was intense in this kdrama, and I no longer him see him as a mere "flower boy." I think he had long outgrown that role and he was ready for more depth in his acting. Sure, I would like him to appear in a light-hearted, romcom like PHS when he returns from his military service. But judging from his interviews, I don't think he’d parlay his popularity into cutesy, dreamy boyfriend roles. He appeared willing to hone himself as an actor and take on challenging, even riskier, work. More power to him! 

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, mslee said:

Welcome to WonSan thread @nyeb2tosq

Most of the viewers of TKL haven't watched any Siwan drama before so they were really surprised at his acting. Yeah he is one of the few idol turned actor who can actually act. I knew the feeling...although i have watched him and knew his acting range..still he stole my attention just like you before ep 1 ended. Although I started feeling RinSan chemistry at earlier episodes, but that scene where he stopped the wedding proposal of Jeon..my..my.. That moment was his! :tongue: and the rest i become a wonsan.

You mean this scene?

1wpah5.gif

The song here should have been the theme song from Jaws. :)

Try playing this YT video as soon as you see that little fin ... errr... bobble thing on his head appear in the horizon... errr above the steps. You'll see what I mean. 

For me, the cool aspect of this scene was that Rin went missing for days trying to figure out how to solve the problem while it took Won...what? an hour? half that morning? the whole day? to figure out what to do.  

Less than five seconds. It took him five seconds, tops. 

At 0:16, Rin said, “Please stop it. I’m sorely disappointed in myself. There’s nothing I can do.” 
At 0:25, he ended his plea with “Please stop it, Your Highness.”
At 0:28, Won responded, “Alright, Fine.” 
At 0:30, Won said to his eunuch, “I’m going to make a trip outside the palace,” and ordered him to “Call on a good number of bodyguards for me too, so I can play the part of the Crown Prince properly.”

His bodyguard tried to dissuade him saying that the marriage had been approved by the King, and to block it was as tantamount to defying the King, his father. 

Won then justified incurring his father’s wrath as such: “Rin here knows that, too. So for the past six days, without being able to say a word to me and trying to find a way to block it on his own, he wandered around until his lips became this pale.”

PHOTO-FINISH. Had Rin opened up to Won earlier, this wouldn’t have reached this point and the situation could have been remedied in a better way. Had he been honest, he wouldn’t have bungled up and thrust Won in direct opposition with his father. 

PHOTO-FINISH. However, because Won swooped in at the last minute to Rin's Dial-1-800-save-a-buddy, his rescue effort looked dramatic like a superhero's mission. B) With all eyes on him, he sauntered in like he was rudely inconvenienced and disrupted from playing golf because this pesky Jeon was trying to grab a rich wife for himself. I say, well-played, Won. Well-played. 

2 hours ago, packmule3 said:

For me, the cool aspect of this scene was that Rin went missing for days trying to figure out how to solve the problem while it took Won...what? an hour? half that morning? the whole day? to figure out what to do.  

Less than five seconds. It took him five sec...

PHOTO-FINISH. However, because Won swooped in at the last minute to Rin's Dial-1-800-save-a-buddy, his rescue effort looked dramatic like a superhero's mission. B) With all eyes on him, he sauntered in like he was rudely inconvenienced and disrupted from playing golf because this pesky Jeon was trying to grab a rich wife for himself. I say, well-played, Won. Well-played. 

Sorry i cut your posts..

And thank you for that gif. That was one of the highlights in TKL of Won showing HE IS THE LEAD! How cool he entered with the camera focusing on him as he sauntered uninvited. Lol..maybe only an hour after he spoke with his "friend". And i like this dramatic entrance of him with palace guards. HonestlyTHIS was the moment when i fell in love with Won:wub:.  Just like how you described this moment He is very suave. Very cool. This scene will always be the first I would remember when somebody talks of TKL.:)

I think at this point Rin was beginning to annoy me because he was already keeping secrets from Won.  I dont like any form of deception. And between friends just like this. 

10 minutes ago, mslee said:

Sorry i cut your posts..

And thank you for that gif. That was one of the highlights in TKL of Won showing HE IS THE LEAD! How cool he entered with the camera focusing on him as he sauntered uninvited. Lol..maybe only an hour after he spoke with his "friend". And i like this dramatic entrance of him with palace guards. HonestlyTHIS was the moment when i fell in love with Won:wub:.  Just like how you described this moment He is very suave. Very cool. This scene will always be the first I would remember when somebody talks of TKL.:)

I think at this point Rin was beginning to annoy me because he was already keeping secrets from Won.  I dont like any form of deception. And between friends just like this. 

Don't EVER worry about cutting my posts. Honestly, I prefer that you cut my posts to save space. :D 

The dramatic entrance was very clever of him. He knew the people would think he was being a big jerk when he strode in uninvited to that prenuptial ceremony.

In his Art of War,  Sun Tzu said, "Engage people with what they expect; it is what they are able to discern and confirms their projections. It settles them into predictable patterns of response, occupying their minds while you wait for the extraordinary moment - that which they cannot anticipate."  Just like when he pretended to be drunk before his Father in Episode 2, he was pretending that he was concerned about threats to his succession to the throne. He used THAT as an excuse to halt the wedding. 

The other thing interesting about this scene is that he didn't recognize SoHwa. Of course, the director made sure that the two didn't actually stare into each other's eyes. San's eyes were avoiding his when Won was looking at her.  And when San peeked at him, Won was then looking away. lol. I was happy to know that Won wasn't interested in catching the eyes of the girl whom Jeon wanted to marry, or of ANY girl for that matter. 

Omo..thank you my chingus @packmule3 and @Bambiina for tagging me to here :wink:

As TKL was not a favorite of mine (plot wise and pace wise) from SJN, I didn't spend too much time on it as I wanted. I spent more time analyzing the characters and not the OTP. But even with this said, the ending didn't leave me with a confirmation on who San loved. Once more, the ambiguity prolonged until the very end <_< i understood that Won let his falcon go (which I admire). But..my main question was this: San, herself, in the drama didn't tell the audience who made her heart ache more..so why did Yoona have to tell the audience instead? In an article, Yoona stated it was Rin whom San loves. But I always thought she loves both of them. Anyhow though, TKL has ended for me. Won and Rin as individuals got my attention but not the love arc. I should leave it as that :)

I will lurk in this thread, and be more active at drama thread since i am following 2 dramas lol. Hope to see all of you there so we can discuss dramas :wink:

And a big hello to @YourHighness . and @Kissy13 and @alekaonu:D

@packmule3 whenever you are contemplating on watching a drama, give me a shout out too so I can figure out if i will watch it as well. Then, we can discuss dramas again :tongue:

@vangsweetie637

I had planned to watch "While You Were Sleeping" but I only stayed till the gas explosion.  :)

I told some ladies here that I was wondering how Hemingway's "For Whom The Bell Tolls"  could be relevant to the plot. The themes of that book were mortality, love (of course!) and predestination or belief in the supernatural. There was one woman in the story, the lover of the rebel leader, who had this gift for seeing the future. She foresaw the death of the lead character. She believed that those people who scoffed at fortunetellers, seers and psychics are like deaf people. Because the deaf people can't HEAR...hmmm, celestial music for instance, they'd refuse to believe that choirs of angels exist.

I only stayed to see if Suzy's dream had something to do with the supernatural or psychic ability. :) I'm guessing that the conflict of this drama will center around love between a psychic, emotionally volatile female and a logical, analytical male. lol.

But I digress. To go back on topic here --

For me, what convinced me of WonSan was, ironically, the kiss assault on the bridge. Ugh!!! I couldn’t believe that somebody of SJN’s caliber and influence would use a forced kiss as a pivot point for a flawed second male lead to win over the heroine when there is a perfectly good hero who treated the heroine better and UNDERSTOOD her better. I knew as soon as Rin grabbed her that no matter what happened in the next three episodes, he would live to REGRET forcing that kiss on her.  There was karma waiting to happen. 

And I was right. :)

Rin apologized to three people who mattered to him: to Won in writing; to his father in silence; and to San in words. 

One, in Episode 19, in his letter to Won, he acknowledged that he had “sinned” in coveting Won’s love. It’s biblical actually and if Maryofbethany is lurking here, she would know as well as I do what commandment this would be in the bible. Rin said, “The days I spent behind you (meaning Won), protecting you, supported you and the times spend with you, were all an honor to me. However, I came to love a woman whom you had in your heart. I yearned more and more as my feelings grew and grew to a point where I no longer had control over it. I know that this sin is worthy of death, so I will not try to run away from it.”

tdOq2I6.jpg

Two, in Episode 20, in his talk with his family, he couldn’t meet Father's eyes because he knew he had done wrong. He was lecturing his older brother Jeon on "greed and lust," when his father called his attention that he committed the same offense. Rin regretted his own “greed and lust for a woman” who belonged to his friend. 

Spoiler

n2.gif

credit: @mslee

There was no need for words. 

AXin7wR.jpg

And lastly, Rin apologized to San herself in the hut. Even now, it's funny how people refuse to see that and cling to their belief that Rin ended up marrying her.  lol. Rin unequivocally admitted that he MOMENTARILY became greedy and desired somebody who wasn’t his. 

Momentarily = briefly, for a fleeting moment. I'd call it the temporary insanity defense. :lol:

Spoiler

XoOzqLz.jpg

When he confessed his feelings for her in that hut, he was saying that the "moment" was gone. He was ending his pursuit of her, so she didn’t need to be burdened by him. He said, "Please do not look back."

That was why Won wasn't jealous when Rin had a heart-to-heart talk with San late at night. Rin could be trusted again with his SoHwa. And this was proof. 

Spoiler

He wasn't going to touch Won's woman ever again. 

Z4CS0tK.jpg

In a way, I blame SJN and the director for the confusion.

The problem with them was that they had TROLLED the audience for far too long that when SJN was finally telling the truth, the audience didn’t believe her. lol. I said so in my post in the other thread, didn’t I?  I said SJN was the girl who cried wolf, and her trolling came back to bite her in the tushy. :lol:

8 hours ago, packmule3 said:

1wpah5.gif

Hi @packmule3 and @mslee this scene of Won to the rescue is my fave moment too. I rewinded this scene few times to feel the impact of Won the Crown Prince walking in with the effective background music.

Hello  my dear @vangsweetie637 Kraken! I'm planning to watch When You Were Sleeping Too later but first let me catch up with Hospital Ship and Temperature Love. Then I will join you all at WYWS after I watched the 2 episodes.

I wonder how Siwan thinks and feels about The King Loves. Is he satisfied with the ending? Or he's just like Yoona, don't know the ending as well.

1 hour ago, packmule3 said:

The problem with SJN and the director was that they had TROLLED the audience for far too long that when SJN was finally telling the truth, the audience didn’t believe her. lol. I said so in my post in the other thread, didn’t I?  I said SJN was the girl who cried wolf, and her trolling came back to bite her in the tushy.

If SJN was in front of me during the finale of TKL, I would throw something at her. What a lousy troll-er. I'm not going to watch any of her work in future.

@packmule3 omo..so you did watch WYWS :D but you said only until the explosion so that means..only the beginning. You should definitely continue. There is quite a twist  (i won't spoil it for you haha). Omo..I am not familiar with Ernest Hemingway's story that you mentioned but I am familiar with his style of writing. I have read his 'Hills Like White Elephants' and 'The Sun Also Rises.' He is definitely one of my favorite contemporary authors. But i read more of Nathaniel Hawthorne and Edgar Allen Poe. Their stories always has my mind turning in critical thinking haha. 

But yes..back to the topic lol. Won as the individual character intrigued me a lot. I liked his boldness..and his straightforwardness in confessing to San that he loves/likes her. I even like that bit of him when he became dark..or berserk..when he realized the guard landed their hands on San. He was protective but..because he was protecting the ones he loves. In a palace where his blood was always in question, having someone to love was a treasure to not be thrown away. This was why i believed greatly in the bromance of WonRin more than the romance of RinSan or WonSan. Now, this doesn't mean that I wanted San with Won or San with Rin haha. I actually preferred San to be alone because 1) she couldn't make up her mind and 2) she was a person who was not dependent on the love from a man. She was freewilled and liked to roam freely. I am also not used to SJN's writing in prolonging the love question for her leads. However, individually, she did develop her characters well enough for me to sentiment them so for that, I do appreciate and enjoy. 

In regards to the kiss at the bridge..and i have written it at the MT before..that it wasn't genuine. First..Rin knew Won was there. He looked at him first before declaring he will break the thread. That's why I didn't believe that moment was a declaration of love from San to Rin. I always and honestly think San loves both Rin and Won, for she didn't want to be the reason for the friendship to break. 

This is also why I liked that slashing scene from Won to Rin, and Won stepping away in shock and disbelief. It was this pivotal moment..that I believe San didn't love Rin more than Won nor did she love Won more than Rin. These two..to me..were the two persons whom she told the Queen that she wished..if she also shared the same bond..to have friends like that. And..i always thought the way San looked at Won and Rin were almost at the same level. So my shipping heart never sailed for either one :wink:

Haha..and once again, your analysis always comes with such details that it always amazes me you can analyze much more in depth than I can :tongue::wink:

@alekaonu hi Cougar!! Yes join me at WYWS when you can :wink: 

When did this song play?  At the end of the tea party?  Is San saying this to Won?

The song brings together Luna's clear, melodic voice with a string arrangement, and was first introduced on the August 8 episode of 'The King Loves' during a critical ending scene between the leads - Girls' Generation's YoonA and Siwan. 

18 minutes ago, angelwingssf said:

When did this song play?  At the end of the tea party?  Is San saying this to Won?

Here is the translation of the sobg by popgasa:

Can’t turn things back
Can’t go back
Passed through the forgotten memories
Is that familiar look, the familiar voice
It’s shaking up my heart

I love you, I love you, those words
Words I want to hear just once
I miss you, I miss you, those words
The voice lingers in my ears
Will you say it to me?

Exhausted with longing
Even my tears still remember you

Will you say it to me?

You’ll come back, you’ll come back, that promise
I’m endlessly waiting for you
Will you say it to me?

52 minutes ago, alekaonu said:

Hi @packmule3 and @mslee this scene of Won to the rescue is my fave moment too. I rewinded this scene few times to feel the impact of Won the Crown Prince walking in with the effective background music.

Hello  my dear @vangsweetie637 Kraken! I'm planning to watch When You Were Sleeping Too later but first let me catch up with Hospital Ship and Temperature Love. Then I will join you all at WYWS after I watched the 2 episodes.

I wonder how Siwan thinks and feels about The King Loves. Is he satisfied with the ending? Or he's just like Yoona, don't know the ending as well.

If SJN was in front of me during the finale of TKL, I would throw something at her. What a lousing troll-er. I'm not going to watch any of her work in future.

I like his boots here. They remind me of my comfy UGGs.. His have the decorative design; mine have ribbons. 

1wpah5.gif

Go ahead. Throw something at SJN, and I'll follow you. hahaha.

I was telepathically asking her, "Why are you doing this? Why the heck are you doing this?!" And then I remember that scene when the Queen, Won's mother, had their first heart-to-heart, face-to-face conversation.

From Episode 10:

Won: She's what I want first.
Queen: Then why did you choose someone else when I gave you the chance to have her?
Won: I couldn't lose the brother Rin either.
Queen: (scoffing) You could have possessed both of the girls. You're set in line to be the next King. 
Won: If she were someone who could be had so easily, I would've let her go already. Right? 

And she's right, you know. SJN is right. Through Won, I think she was expressing her philosophy on life.

This -->> People that easily possessed, things that are easily acquired and knowledge that is easily grasped….all these things, we esteem lightly precisely because they're EASY. When there’s little effort required to obtain or achieve something, then it’s human nature to devalue its worth.  Take Park Hyung Sik’s Strong Woman DBS. It was fun (up to a point) and very simple to understand (almost elementary) but I didn’t bother finishing it. :) Same thing with ... shhhh... I'll be pilloried for this: Descendants of the Sun. I saw the first episode and I thought: "Mais non!!!"

For me, if a kdrama is more complex than most, then it's worth my time. I’ll enjoy going over it, breaking it down to pieces then putting it back together again -- pretty much like how my brothers enjoy working on their vintage cars and Harley touring bikes. With kdramas though, I don't have to get down and dirty... unless... unless, you know, required. :lol:  Insights and discoveries are more satisfying when they're hard to come by. 

1 minute ago, deandraluv said:

Here is the translation of the sobg by popgasa:

Can’t turn things back
Can’t go back
Passed through the forgotten memories
Is that familiar look, the familiar voice
It’s shaking up my heart

Will you say it to me?

Exhausted with longing
Even my tears still remember you

Will you say it to me?

You’ll come back, you’ll come back, that promise
I’m endlessly waiting for you

Will you say it to me?

Wow!!  I saw it on youtube and she is literally confessing she loves Won. I think the key is the tears?  She had cried when Won delivered her mother's first message to her.  Today at the tea party, she is crying  and saying her tears still remember him.  From 8 years ago. 

Anyone else have a differing take on it?    

41 minutes ago, angelwingssf said:

The song brings together Luna's clear, melodic voice with a string arrangement, and was first introduced on the August 8 episode of 'The King Loves' during a critical ending scene between the leads - Girls' Generation's YoonA and Siwan. 

Maybe we should compile all the songs here for our future reference?

I can't play this right now. My husband's working right beside me and I don't have my earphones. :wacko:

Here's Siwan's OST. I chose the one with the English sub for your convenience. 

Credit: nurulee__

Here's the translation. It doesn't make sense to me... especially the last lines. He wants to give her HIS EYES? What does that mean? He wants to go blind??!! Will have to look for a better translation.

Siwan – My Heart English Translation

You are slowly coming to me
With a smile
But I couldn’t say anything
And I just looked

From a place so faraway that you can’t even feel it
I was standing there, all alone
Drawing you out without anyone knowing

My heart is going to you a little
I want to close my eyes and take another step
I want to touch your eyes that look at me

I’m still clumsy and awkward
But I want to be honest and just show you

So you an always find me
I’m slowly being colored
I’m drawing myself with your color
I’m writing you in my heart all day
So I can find my hidden heart

The times I was alone
Now fill my empty heart with you
I’ll be brave and tell you my hidden heart

Without knowing, I’m calling out to you
My heart is beating toward you
I want to go to you, hold you and kiss you
My eyes that looked at you
I want to give them to you

source: https://klyrics.net/siwan-my-heart/

7 minutes ago, angelwingssf said:

Wow!!  I saw it on youtube and she is literally confessing she loves Won. I think the key is the tears?  She had cried when Won delivered her mother's first message to her.  Today at the tea party, she is crying  and saying her tears still remember him.  From 8 years ago. 

Anyone else have a differing take on it?    

I agree.   

Remember that San was finding who ached her heart more?   Actually the answer would clearly be Won.... throughout the drama..... San cried for him more, esp.  when she witnessed the King humiliated Won.

41 minutes ago, packmule3 said:

I like his boots here.

1wpah5.gif

The boots sing MAJESTIC -  I AM THE CROWN PRINCE.....  Love those boots.  

41 minutes ago, packmule3 said:

His have the decorative design; mine have ribbons. 

Aren't the Kings' and the Crown Prince boots embroidered with Golden Dragons ?  Beautiful !!

6 hours ago, mslee said:

Sorry i cut your posts..

@mslee You have said the exact same things I had in my mind when I read @packmule3 's post. I think it was the same time when I started to get confused about Rin's actions and questioning why he was doing things on his own and not discussing with Won first. They were BFF after all- if theirs were such a relationship where no words were needed (like in the scene where Rin understood why Won had to save San first when they were in jail), then surely two heads are better than one and they would have saved themselves all the misery, just as @packmule3 had pointed out. 

Yes, SJN has trolled us this time but I wonder. Except for the ending, she has given us a wellrounded and exceptional character such as Won- a smart, decisive and caring CP and how he met the love of his life and what he would do for the people he loves, how and why she decided to give us such a open-ended final is rather bewildering. Recently I have started watching The Temperature of Love (and loving it too) and there is this scene where the writer of a drama is in conflict because the director and actor want to convey something different to the audience than what the writer wants. Naturally it got me thinking of TKL and I wonder if perhaps something similar happened in TKL. We were given many scenes and many hints that showed a WonSan endgame but only to be told that it's not so at the final episode. I am hoping that SJN will really come out and explain why she did what she did with TKL. 

23 minutes ago, angelwingssf said:

The boots sing MAJESTIC -  I AM THE CROWN PRINCE.....  Love those boots.  

Aren't the Kings' and the Crown Prince boots embroidered with Golden Dragons ?  Beautiful !!

Spoiler

7knh8Ga.jpg

Speaking of boots, another thing I do like about Siwan is that he's learned to take the jokes/snide remarks about his height in stride. Here in this article, he talked about his insoles as possible world record breakers. lol. 

https://www.allkpop.com/article/2013/03/zeas-siwans-insoles-are-worthy-of-a-place-in-the-guinness-records 

I know some people didn't think that he matched Yoona because of his stature. But so what? I like to think of him as "Fun Size" and "SUPER Size."

Image result for super

9 hours ago, packmule3 said:

PHOTO-FINISH. Had Rin opened up to Won earlier, this wouldn’t have reached this point and the situation could have been remedied in a better way. Had he been honest, he wouldn’t have bungled up and thrust Won in direct opposition with his father. 

I have lost count of how many times Rin has lied or held back the truth.  At the time he asked Won to stop the marriage, why did he not tell Won that the girl his brother was going to marry was San and they found out that she was switched with the maid.  He was already aware that she was San, even before the festival.  Rin has time to ask for help from Won when he needs it, but is at a loss for words when he has to tell the truth, the entire truth and nothing but the truth.  

My take is that if he opened up and told who San was, then Rin would have to talk about the accident that happened 8 years ago and he has to bring up the issue of his brother's involvement in it and the connection to the straw hat snake man and SongIn too and hence the shame and repercussions his family members would have to face.  Rin 's nature is to push or hide the facts as long as they can and eventually end up unable to do anything.  

If you look for every event that has ended up with Won paying a price has Rin bungling up the event ; Each and Every time.  Wonder why Won would want such a person as his flagpole.  

On 9/27/2017 at 2:07 PM, ZarraJae said:

Sorry, I was too excited to show you girls my "handy work" and took it for granted that everyone would know. 

Briefly, Koreans celebrated the New Year on the same day the Chinese celebrate the Lunar New Year. They call it "Seollal" and like we see in many korean dramas,  they  will dress in their new hanboks and have a feast with with family and friends on the first day of the New Year. There is a ritual of filial piety, known as Sebae where the younger family members will bow to the elders and wish them a happy and prosperous new year. In return, the elders will give them blessings and  sebaedon or pocket money wrapped in traditional silk bags with embroidery, known as bokjumeoni.  The Chinese also practise the same custom and  the pocket money is better known as the red packet or hongpao. Regardless of age, one is always happy to receive a sebaedon because it is a blessing, it brings  good luck and fortune and is believed to ward off evil spirits. It's like getting presents in the form of money on Christmas Day.:D

To San, Won is very much like the lucky pouch , just like she says, He gives it to me even before I even made a wish. Many times, Won does things for her, sometimes without her even knowing - like the time he instructed his man to help ease her journey home in the earlier episode - his men gave San water, meat buns and even hint at where to get fine, quality wine, all without her knowledge. He even made sure that she had something nice to wear to the Queen's party - an outfit, a veil and a hairpin all prepared for her. San feels lucky and blessed that she has Won, who has always been there for her, and that's why she says he is like a New Year lucky pouch.

Thanks for the explanation, @ZarraJae

And now, I get it. I've wondered why towards the end, San started making requests without hesitation, without shyness. Used to be, she would view such "favors" as becoming beholden to him. She would feel obligated to repay him. But as her feelings for him developed, she had no more inhibitions to make her wishes known.

Remember this? He was giving her his wish even before she made her wishes known. 

CFKhk8f.jpg

34 minutes ago, packmule3 said:

Hide contents

7knh8Ga.jpg

Speaking of boots, another thing I do like about Siwan is that he's learned to take the jokes/snide remarks about his height in stride. Here in this article, he talked about his insoles as possible world record breakers. lol. 

https://www.allkpop.com/article/2013/03/zeas-siwans-insoles-are-worthy-of-a-place-in-the-guinness-records 

I know some people didn't think that he matched Yoona because of his stature. But so what? I like to think of him as "Fun Size" and "SUPER Size."

Image result for super

I don't know why people make fun of his size.  He is not too short and Yoona is not too tall.  Yoona has what is called 6" heels while most men don't wear heels.  Most asians are petite sized both in height and weight.  Probably has to do with malnutrition since food availability was difficult in olden times.  

This is his and Yoona's height and weight info:

Siwan
South Korean singer
Im Si-wan, simply known by his stage name Siwan, is a South Korean singer, actor and television host. He is a member of the South Korean boyband ZE:A and its sub-group ZE:A Five. Wikipedia

Born: December 1, 1988 (age 28), Busan, South Korea
Height: 5′ 9″

Im Yoon-ah, better known by the mononym Yoona, is a South Korean singer and actress. She debuted as a member of girl group Girls' Generation in August 2007, who went on to become one of the best-selling ... Wikipedia

Born: May 30, 1990 (age 27), Daerim-dong, Seoul, South Korea
Height: 5′ 6″
Nicknames: Nam Choding, Him Yoona, Yoon-Ah, Saseumi, MORE

Archived