[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Ever Night 将夜

tothestars

12 minutes ago, raziela said:

Excellent analysis of NQ-SS relationship in the novel.

I haven't reached those episodes yet but that is disappointing to hear.  It would have been great to use the relationship with WGM for SS character development and see her potential.  That is what I was hoping for.

Agree that there is a bit too much exposition at times.  Ironically at other times I feel like unless you have read the novel it's hard to understand certain things. I think the screenwriter obviously struggled with knowing how much information to share and how to cater to both new TV fans and fans who are already familiar with the story and I don't think she hit the right balance.  Even though I'm not a fan of how she has handled some things, I do understand adapting this novel can't have been an easy task.

@Wotad I have already reported your post.  I have already asked you to stop engaging with me and you continue to do so and to be rude and antagonistic.  As previously requested: please do not comment on my posts or @ me.

I was replying to your accusations against me which are false, you were rude and antagonistic against me as well by accusing me of stuff i never said./ Dont Worry wont reply to someone like you again

You cant expect to call me out with lies and not get a reply. 

12 minutes ago, greenwatch08 said:

You mentioned it in an earlier post but let's forget about it, shall we. We both have different opinions, and that is okay. 

That was barely rough play hes played with her doing the exact same things and people thought it was cute or did you all suddenly miss that?? 

So this is me saying that i thought violence was cute? 

Clearly not what i meant but w/e everyone can accuse me of richard simmons.

Obviously i got questionable morals and think violence is ok so should just leave the thread. 

19 minutes ago, Wotad said:

I was replying to your accusations against me which are false, you were rude and antagonistic against me as well by accusing me of stuff i never said./ Dont Worry wont reply to someone like you again

You cant expect to call me out with lies and not get a reply. 

That was barely rough play hes played with her doing the exact same things and people thought it was cute or did you all suddenly miss that?? 

So this is me saying that i thought violence was cute? 

Clearly not what i meant but w/e everyone can accuse me of richard simmons.

Obviously i got questionable morals and think violence is ok so should just leave the thread. 

Let me clarify since theres some misunderstanding.

1. I never said you thought violence was cute.

2. I was referring to the part that you infer people thought NQ's behavior towards SS was cute, so I stated that I did not find it cute.

3. I mentioned that people have different opinions and its ok to agree/disagree. I never said that you thought violence was okay.

4. Also, the thread here is for everyone, there's no need for you to leave. People come and go/say as they please.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, greenwatch08 said:

Let me clarify since theres some misunderstanding.

1. I never said you thought violence was cute.

2. I was referring to the part that you infer people thought NQ's behavior towards SS was cute, so I stated that I did not find it cute.

3. I mentioned that people have different opinions and its ok to agree/disagree. I never said that you thought violence was okay.

4. Also, the thread here is for everyone, there's no need for you to leave. People come and go/say as they please.

Maybe im not explaining my self well but people thought when he was playfully doing that stuff before this clip was cute did they not?

Hes flipped her for-head before and people thought it was cute and funny, it seems im not explaining my self well.

The thread is here for everyone sure but when someone else calls out my morals and tells me not to reply to them again and that same post gets likes what should i think? Im thankful that you think im not normalising violence or thought that violence is ok because its clearly not.

Ill clarify before i leave the thread that i did not think any violence was cute or acceptable. I have been through domestic abuse with my mother and maybe i just saw it differently than others here.

I also believe in equality etc.. so when people question my morals like this its better to just remove my self from the situation. 

Im ruining the mood of the thread so ill just leave have fun.

1 hour ago, Wotad said:

Maybe im not explaining my self well but people thought when he was playfully doing that stuff before this clip was cute did they not?

Hes flipped her for-head before and people thought it was cute and funny, it seems im not explaining my self well.

The thread is here for everyone sure but when someone else calls out my morals and tells me not to reply to them again and that same post gets likes what should i think? Im thankful that you think im not normalising violence or thought that violence is ok because its clearly not.

Ill clarify before i leave the thread that i did not think any violence was cute or acceptable. I have been through domestic abuse with my mother and maybe i just saw it differently than others here.

I also believe in equality etc.. so when people question my morals like this its better to just remove my self from the situation. 

Im ruining the mood of the thread so ill just leave have fun.

Youre definitely not ruining the thread. It's good to have these kinds of discussion/in depth analysis of EN. You seem very passionate about the drama, and that's cool. As a fan, I am too. So If I made you feel uneasy in an way, I apologize. 

I finished episode 36.

NQ looks simply powerful on screen, and so handsome in that

white fur outfit. 

In the scenes with MSS, his face is soft and smiling.

Then, again SS looks very plain.

She managed to create light on her finger, but that didnt spark any

curiosity in her.

I dont like how SS was shown that way.

The director and the scriptwriter really tried to ruin the beginning of any kind

of romance between NQ and SS.

• Like 2

@rocher22, SS does like the idea that now she can create light because in her usual soliloquy to NQ she told him that she can now create light for the night but then she said how will people sleep if she lit up the sky. I wished the light issue was explained more in her scenes with WGM. I mean, I have no idea if she’ll be able to become powerful like we saw with WGM when he broke out of his prison. This is why I was hoping for more exploration on this before he departed. 

Spoiler

I did see in the RAWs for the episodes this week that her entire body lights up in one part of the peaceful duel between WGM and Yan Se.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, rocher22 said:

curiosity in her.

Actually it is very important in the development of Sangsang later on in the novel and will not be until season 2 of the drama that she is someone that did not get much attention compared to NQ.  This is actually where drama differed so much from the novel cause in the drama Sangsang is bright and adorable but in the novel she is dark, introverted, and in the words of NQ "slow witted".  NQ constantly talks about how Sangsang can actually have good ideas but that she is too lazy to think cause she got used to depending on NQ. 

I actually really loved these passages in the novel...so poignant but will not be in season 1 unfortunately:

Spoiler

"I have never been beautiful. Ning Que said that in the two years after he found me, I could not get any taller no matter what I ate, be it meat soup or rice soup. I was like a small mouse in his embrace."......"Ning Que has made fun of me before. He said no one would ever discover me even if he discards me into the vegetable fields or into the coal mines. And he is right. I am always that unimpressive little handmaiden no one ever notices."......She turned around, looked at Mo Shanshan and smiled. Her smile was very genuine. Her two dazzling white front teeth seemed to have brightened the dark carriage. She said, "Ning Que is born to be better looking than me. His mouth is also sweeter than mine. Thus, it's easy for him to win over others' favor. Regardless of whether the person is General Ma from City of Wei, Aunt Jian, or even the Headmaster.".....She then added, "When I was with him, everyone only looked at him; but that's fine. I am used to standing behind him, and I don't really like being stared at anyway."

Beside the Jumping Tiger Stream, Sangsang had said that she wanted to solve the chess puzzle. This surprised him greatly. He knew that while she might be vain at times, she was never one for competition. Most importantly, in the past she would just sit quietly by his side and wait for him to solve the problem when they were in such situations. He thought of many reasons for this change. For example... the other girl outside the carriage. However, he had heard Sangsang say many things in the meditation room earlier. That was when he understood that Sangsang had done this just to prove herself. She wanted to prove to herself that she could do it. It had nothing to do with the world. She wanted to make it clear she was no longer just the quiet handmaiden by Ning Que's side. She was now his wife who could shoulder burdens for him. She could even try to shield him from wind and rain. Sangsang wanted to feel needed by Ning Que. She needed Ning Que to be proud of her.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, rhaps said:

Not directly commenting the main issue, I just wanna say that CFY indeed has chemistry with almost everyone in the show, starting from Old Ma, Bro and Sis of 2nd Floor, Master Yan Se, Chao Xiaosu (Andy On), his friends, and even the Emperor, and SS-MSS-YHY at once. Seriously, I'm amazed with this kid. He was only 17 yrs old at that time, so how come he looked compatible with all of those older more mature girls around him? He acts like a sweet rascal in front of the elders, then turns into a manly man with the girls.

Happy forum at home! I'm on the way to work, and I'm late! :bawling:

Hahahhaa. That's what you've got when you are so engrossed on this page. It happens to me too. Hahahhaha

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

59 minutes ago, rocher22 said:

I finished episode 36.

NQ looks simply powerful on screen, and so handsome in that

white fur outfit. 

In the scenes with MSS, his face is soft and smiling.

curiosity in her.

The director and the scriptwriter really tried to ruin the beginning of any kind

of romance between NQ and SS.

My dear, to be honest, there is no romance between NQ and SS in the 1st Season. Even in the 2nd Season, you can hardly get it. So, nothing was ruined, really. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, rhaps said:

After rewatching and accepting it, I dont feel it that bad anymore *LOL* . 

This kinda plot device has happened in other dramas too. If you are familiar with Jin Yong's work (Condor Trilogy, Smiling Proud Wanderer), the hero does almost the same thing . I now seriously think that Mao Ni (EN's author) got a lot of inspiration from them

Reveal hidden contents

Usually, the good sects are described as being corrupted, while the demon sect are described as not being understood, so people have wrong judgement towards them.

Well, in Ever Night, it does feel scarier because the good sect indeed looked nice, like the Bros and Sis in 2nd Floor. But I'm seeing the same setup in the Martial World Alliance, with that hypocrite Quni Madi (the evil woman) and the Xiling General.

Well, just my 2 cents

Hahaha. I accepted a long time ago that we need MSS presence in NQ life to have a huge twist in his perspective towards romance. By then, he will be able to differentiate which one is necessary and which one is for fun. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 5

14 hours ago, UnniSarah said:

Very true @rhaps the author is male. Then we have a female writer and female director who is trying or thought changing some stuff to attract female viewers. Which only complicated relationship dynamics couldn’t thick of a way to make the relationships click because of the short window to tell us the first arc of this story. I think they should have left it the way the author had created at first since they are using most the author’s material so that it can sync well. 

True. They should have anticipated that people will read the novel and will find out some contradiction in between both. And also, the novel is already at its best  that's why people gets drawn to it. They don't need to attract females viewer. Just put handsome actors and rest assure female viewers will be swarming all over it. Lol. I'm one of them. Hahahha

• LOL 4

10 hours ago, angelangie said:

but Chen FeiYu is even younger :D

did u know that Chen FeiYu had a run in with ShenYue too? :D 

I know. That's what I'm saying. I would only  accept youngster if it's CFY because he is very versatile. He can be matured when needed, serious if he has too, playful if the scene ask for it and childish if permitted. Other than him, I won't accept 19 and below! Lol

• LOL 4

14 minutes ago, rhaps said:

A handsome actor that can act, of course :P . It wont be fun if the guy cant act. I've watched dramas with guys like that, and I ended up fast forwarding a lot. Seriously

Hahahhaa. I knew you would say that @rhapz! Haahahha. I was just waiting for it! Now, you are surely gonna be late. Hahhahaha

• LOL 2

14 hours ago, UnniSarah said:

Hello Chingu’s 

I would like to tell you guys my opinion on everyone’s discussion on how the drama and novel is really different. I think it is different because it a woman writing the script and a woman directing. Some have said he still has doubts or missed MSS because his feeling were genuine. Even SS knew he had had doubts. I haven’t reache that part yet in the novel. I am back at CH 111. I was dying to see SS leave him so that he can make a choice. Let’s face it in RL forcing a man to chose when he should have made the choice all by himself would always leave doubt in his mind. I am certain that NQ’s love for SS is reall and much deeper because truthfully SS is life for him and vice versa with her. Due to this being a drama, I think the writer and drama may be trying to get rid of that doubts ever resurfacing in the future episode , so that  NQ’s love for SS is much more deeper and earth shattering to us viewers. They want it to be “EPIC” or like some Koreans would say “ DAEBAK!!!”. We all have to wait see is if these scenes are up to our approval or not. I fear that when a drama is being aired there are certain criteria’s they must meet in the drama due to some law or regulation that wherever the drama is being filmed or shown. 

@rhaps @stucked @greenwatch08 @Daylight Chang @thartie @pad-hari @ningsangcpp  WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK???

TBH , I notice when watching clips with no subs some scenes can be misinterpreted due or find offensive to some viewers unless you watch the whole episode and have sub.h only complaint is that we do see them reunited until the following week. :bawling::tears: There is so much more they need to cover right now. 

P.S I don’t doubt the spoilers but I would like to read the the before chapter and after chapter o get a better understanding on what is being written. I may see it in a different light so I can share with the rest of you. :heart:

I think the love triangle is made more prominent to make the audience more invested in their ships/team. These changes make NIngsang shippers anxious about their ships while making NIng Que x Mo Shan Shan shippers think they have a chance or at least make them more invested in the show. This could be further seen as there is also an official poll between the girls to see if you are team Sang Sang or team Mo Shan Shan.

My opinion on Ning Que hitting Sang Sang: Although I also don't like it and think they could have handled it differently, I could also see it as a parent/older figure disciplining a younger member. Whether you believe it's right or wrong it's a reality that even now in the modern time and in every culture, some parent's discipline their kids by hitting them. In this particular case, it's the Chinese culture where  correct me if I'm wrong, younger people should show respect for elders/people older than them. From Ning Que's point of view, Sang Sang who is younger than him is disrespecting him by yelling, talking back, and disobeying him so he hits her as an elder/parental figure. Other similar situations in the show are when the emperor hits the princess on the cheek, when the princess makes her brother kneel on his knees, when the emperor allows the prince's tutor to hit him if he disobeys, and when Yan Se tries to hit Ning Que when he found out about the fake chicken soup writings. This doesn't excuse Ning Que's actions, but is a possible explanation for this scene.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, thartie said:

True. They should have anticipated that people will read the novel and will find out some contradiction in between both. And also, the novel is already at its best  that's why people gets drawn to it. They don't need to attract females viewer. Just put handsome actors and rest assure female viewers will be swarming all over it. Lol. I'm one of them. Hahahha

Not reading pages from this thread i feel so much left behind. Cant quote much, but i agree with @thartie @rhaps @UnniSarah and @kiara_bleu. I always accepted all movie and series based on novel adaptation, although yeah got lil dissapoint here and there, but i think as long as it has least 80% faithfully to the book, i'll be okay. I know how hard to translate someone imagination from writing become 100% faithfully to be watchable. 

Yet with some addition of NQ-MSS scenes, NQ hitting SS, and etc..., oh well i still accepted, maybe i just too easy to pleased LOL. Because what important for me is, the plot that at least 80% faithfully to the book and the casts. And Ever Night give me more than that, beside they were least 80% faithfully to the book (CMIIW i give the score after reading some explanation from novel reader, since i myself havent finish read the novel) and succeed to cast beautiful and talented actors, also they added so many natural breath-taking scenery, and last but not least, they have great ost! 

So I just enjoy the series, enjoy reading the novel and reading this thread, and bonus got to know you all in here, so happy!

Just my 2 cent

• Like 4

My old post about NQ-MSS-SS.... 

Jiang Ye / Ever Night is also a story about growth, and Mo Shanshan appearance to NQ and SS's life do force both to evaluate about their relationship. It forced Ning Que to decide who he's wiling to let go (Mo Shanshan) and who he will never let go (Sang Sang).

Spoiler
On 11/9/2018 at 1:39 PM, lynne22 said:

Now about the romance in Ever Night, 

Hide contents

I love Sang Sang, trully! But Mo Shan shan do have a special place because how pure heart and graceful she is in her acceptance that for Ning Que, Sang Sang is the most important person. 

That's what I like the most from her and somehow missing from a lot of story these days.. Lol..... Yes @Wotad she's a likable personality.....   

Although I think of NQ feeling for MSS is appreciation for her abilities and likes for her kindness,  I guess there are some guilt and thankful towards her too. It's a complex feeling but very human so for me this very moving.... and also very telling on how much Ning Que will always choose  Sang Sang above everyone and everything. 

I have a favorite line of her talking to NQ about his feeling towards Sang Sang. 

"I like you... but I like you that likes her (Sang Sang) more...." she says this while looking at NQ that is looking at Haotian Sang sang. NQ is at a tragic point of his life.

Sang Sang is there, but it's not his Sang Sang.... Anyway... my point is this line is meaningful because of what it represents... she meant for it for NQ not to feel guilty to her... and also to give him a silent support... MSS is a good girl. 

Now, the trailer shows a scene where SS ask MSS to be NQ's wife whereas in the book there's not much contact between them at this time, so I'm looking forward on how the script writer is going to tell this part of the story.

One thing I mention that for me Jiang Ye is also a story about growth, and Mo Shanshan appearance to NQ and life do force both to evaluate about their relationship. And, I agree with you @rhap it's a very good.

It forced Ning Que to decide who he's wiling to let go (Mo Shanshan) and who he will never let go (Sang Sang).

I mean come on.....  SS and NQ's relationship... they're very Old Married Couple vibe, even Chao xiaoshu commented on it, but NQ didn't understand it at the time. 

I'm really looking forward in looking how their relationship is going to be developed on screen. Their's are special. 

In OLD Chang An MV there's this one scene where NQ placed a hairpin in SS's hair.. and it's so sweet.... :wub:

I want to talk more about NQ and SS in the latter season, but I find the situation to be so tragic...... Ning Que and Sang Sang breaks my heart................. especially for Ning Que  :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: 

Funny thing that crosses my mind the other day, Ning Que recently reminded me of Yang Guo from Return of Condor Heroes when Yang Guo misses and search for Xiao Liong Nu for 16 years.

Sang Sang is irreplaceable and  the only one that Ning Que cares about in his life. 

LOL.. I know i talk about about the romance. But trust me, Ever Night is also very patriotic. I'm looking forward towards the next season, and how other characters in the academy will be played. The Senior brother and sister's in the academy are awesome! 

42 episode into the drama, while I think MSS-NQ scene is overdone in the latter episode... (41-42).... I still have hope that the finish product can be good. So I'm willing to wait for now. Altho... this is getting too dramatic for my taste.. hahaha... 

Anyway,,, With the current Sang Sang that trust Ning Que completely..  drama Sang Sang will need a push / a catalyst of sort that makes her change.

That's why, I think the drama is going to make a dramatic moment between NQ and SS for the start of them having different thoughts... I'm thinking the revelation of Yan Se and Wei Guang Ming's death will be the start.

Also, I wonder what this scene is about , I saw this in the "Heart Shaped Universe" MV,,, and this particular scene lingers... :tears: I don't think this scene is aired yet right?

Spoiler

giphy.gif

• Like 7

1 minute ago, rhaps said:

@epinklyn, I basically imagined that this was not Ever Night, during the wilderness episodes :joy: . Besides, CFY wont be in S2, so I just try to enjoy S1 as much as I can. I'm loving the action scenes and YHY too, plus Xia Hou, so ...yeah

Oh yeahhh rightttt the action scenesss!! That is a superrrrr bonusssss!!! How come i can forget that huksss.

During the wilderness, it is not Ever Night ---> Oh why is that @rhaps

• Like 2
  • LOL 1