[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Ever Night 将夜

tothestars

3 hours ago, lynne22 said:

Here's Chen Fei Yu's farewell post for Evernight :bawling:

Here, he said, he auditioned for the role of Ning Que because he love the character that he read from Jiang Ye. Considered Ning Que as a role model, flawed that he is.

There were times I can't believe he is only 17 to 18 when he played this role. 

https://m.weibo.cn/status/4322897017390909

41ed423ely1fyomvqm9y5j21jk0v9h12.jpg

Maybe he didn't want to continue because he too was dissapointed with NQ-SS arch? And maybe he too was not fond of the overly done scene between NQ-MSS? :huh:

Hahaha... That's my wishful thinking... But if what attracted CFY was novel NQ, i would understand if he doesn't want to continue to S2. The drama did butcher the integrity, essence, uniquness and consistency of NQ. We were left off with a fun alternative, sure, but man it could have been one of the greatest characters on tv ever... 

If you watch the trailer (refer pg 1) almost every important character had a clip of their pov except SS. What's with that? It is as if SS isn't a lead character. A pity to SYR... 

I'm going to watch S2 and will continue to nitpick if they fail to deliver. But I'm guessing

1. S2 will be darker with toned down comedic scenes

2. S2 is not going to be as gory as the novel

3. Misunderstandings occur btwn NQ-SS, myb due to MSS

4. NQ will not end up with SS - either she dies or go to Xiling. 

I genuinely hope i'm wrong. Especially regarding no 4

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • LOL 1

50 minutes ago, dzareth said:

Maybe he didn't want to continue because he too was dissapointed with NQ-SS arch? And maybe he too was not fond of the overly done scene between NQ-MSS? :huh:

Hahaha... That's my wishful thinking... But if what attracted CFY was novel NQ, i would understand if he doesn't want to continue to S2. The drama did butcher the integrity, essence, uniquness and consistency of NQ. We were left off with a fun alternative, sure, but man it could have been one of the greatest characters on tv ever... 

If you watch the trailer (refer pg 1) almost every important character had a clip of their pov except SS. What's with that? It is as if SS isn't a lead character. A pity to SYR... 

I'm going to watch S2 and will continue to nitpick if they fail to deliver. But I'm guessing

1. S2 will be darker with toned down comedic scenes

2. S2 is not going to be as gory as the novel

3. Misunderstandings occur btwn NQ-SS, myb due to MSS

4. NQ will not end up with SS - either she dies or go to Xiling. 

I genuinely hope i'm wrong. Especially regarding no 4

So CFY is a fan of the novel. I wonder what he thought of the end product of S1. 

I think it is better than other adaptation as it followed the story line and did not change much. The only thing is that I want more of NQ-SS. In the boat scene , they cut off NQ initiation of giving SS a kiss on the cheek.So it is less sweet and I thought in the scene that was cut, CFY express his love of his SS well.

I know that there will be many change to the S2 story line that will be different from the novel.

I suspect that MSS will play a bigger role than she is in the novel.

I really hope that they keep the essence of the novel which is NQ-SS deep relationship well and not change the ending.

Many years ago I saw the addaptation of a very good novel and they ruin it by having one of the male lead die at the end which is not like in the novel.

I do not understand the obsession of tragic ending.:mellow:

So may be I should wait until it really end to decide if I would want to watch S2 or not.<_<

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

35 minutes ago, rhaps said:

@dzareth, I'm pretty sure about no 1-3 ..and I've also predicted no 4 :D . That's why I'm not planning on watching, other than because of the change of CFY. I'm just going to wait for the end reviews instead to see whether it's good or not :P

Coward! Lol:P

The changes made to the live adaptation kind of gave that vibe, don't they? Should this guess be true, i wonder if it is a creative change or a political one (due to higher up interferences etc). I really want to hear Mao Ni's thoughts as SS is kind of his favourite character. 

Overall, EN is not a bad series. Despite the declining quality of martial arts scenes and special effects, the production team performed quite admirably with creative fighting scenes that one only see in big budget movies. But, while it was an awesome adaptation up until the wilderness episodes, from then on it became a mess. Character development is basically disregarded in favour of puppy love. SS became a whiny, lovesick adolescent and NQ became someone who raised his hands in a bad way. For all the disfunctional personality that novel NQ had, he is not the kind who hits people unless in fights or life/death matters. And novel SS is not whiny or one who smiles too much that it feels creepy. 

• Like 3

Yes yes @lynne22, i believe @mei2018 is true! I think they cut the NQ initiate the kiss version, or... They cut the scene. So the full version was NQ initiate the kiss, and then SS smile and return the kiss with a hug, and then NQ want to return and have more than just a kiss, he also want a hug, so he put the paddle and focus on SS :P. Oh well i can only saw it on clip now...

About CFY didnt continue to play the NQ role on S2, i guess i will just accept the official reason from CFY side, that was due to conflict schedule and school obligation, i believe although the offering was awesome, but still he is a scholar and still have much time to start a long path career, no need to rush to make a fame. I think he is a man of his word, he promised his parents and school only to have one year official leave, so he did. One step of a time.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

I haven’t been reading too much here by will come back after I finish their series.

I just caught up to episode 54 and the pacing and how the story is told is slightly off. The fight scenes are still good but not as good as in earlier parts, Fuzi and his food is now really a running joke lol, but in all- I am looking forward to the end (still sad about many cast departing S2 but understandable).

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

Im still suprised how far Ive watched into a drama series this long, besides ROP. Lately, I can barely finish any kdrama that has only 16 ep. Most of recent shows have been a snoozefest this past fall/winter.

Cdramas have been a breathe of fresh air, even w/its long run/episodes.

• Like 3

Watched ep 52 -54. 

Why did NQ raised his hand at SS as if he was going to hit her? She didn't do anything for him to do that. I liked the XH fight scene it was cool. LQ doesn't learn he's so obsessed with becoming more powerful. I think the actor does a great job. Chao got himself a wife. I didn't see that coming. I really hope we see more of him in s2. I did enjoy the sweet NingSang moments. 

10 hours ago, UnniSarah said:

Hello Chingu’s

I am quite confused, Did they officially tell us that Who will be playing NQ for Season 2. Mydramalist has made a page for Ever Night a Season 2 with all cast members listed. 

@UnniSarah Really ? According to that list who is coming back?

• Like 2

On 12/30/2018 at 6:03 AM, lynne22 said:

I know what you mean..... I too am fine with changes as long as it kept the heart of the story... Sigh... the earlier episodes were very heartwarming... and I guess it raised my expectation too much. There are many good things they did right, but there are things that disappoint me too. I can't say I'm happy with the changes in the latter episodes. But there's nothing we can do... it is what it is... sigh...

--------------------------

I won't say much anymore, I just want to remember NQ-SS as one of my favorite couple, with bonds thats beyond superficial.

I agree what's done is done.  Still it breaks my heart thinking about what this drama and NingSang could have been if the drama had treated them better when I look at your adorable gifs :tears:

On 12/30/2018 at 6:33 AM, lynne22 said:

Here's Chen Fei Yu's farewell post for Evernight :bawling:

Here, he said, he auditioned for the role of Ning Que because he love the character that he read from Jiang Ye. Considered Ning Que as a role model, flawed that he is.

There were times I can't believe he is only 17 to 18 when he played this role. 

https://m.weibo.cn/status/4322897017390909

Thanks for posting.  I'm glad he posted a goodbye.  I love what he said about the character. in a way I'm glad he isn't coming back as I think I might be more tempted to watch the second season as I'm already attached to him as NQ.

On 12/30/2018 at 7:37 AM, epinklyn said:

Yeah i read somewhere CFY stated he really like NQ role after read 将夜, so when he knew about the audition he excited to try. 

This is the loose translation from weibo machine translator.

Really admired his maturity and profesionalism on the set, willing to listen and learn from his senior, wishing Arthur CFY always keep down to earth and always keep up upgrading his skill and talent, and last but not least dont forget to keep study at school.

Thanks for posting the translation.  Yes, I certainly admire his attitude and professionalism and that he takes his education so seriously.

On 12/30/2018 at 8:20 AM, lynne22 said:

@mei2018, @epinklyn has shared the translation.....

Chen Fei yu seems like a good kid to me.. I respect him especially because he's still at a young age, but he's not afraid to work hard. 

Here's some new Pics that's been spreading in twitter :wub:

I'm going to really miss Chen Feiyu's Ning Que and Song Yiren's Sang Sang:tears:

Especially given his background it would be easy for him to be lazy or unprofessional but he really seems like a genuine hardworking guy.

Thank you for the lovely pictures.  Whatever other conflicting feelings I have towards the drama I am grateful for the wonderful casting especially Chen Fei Yu as Ning Que and Song Yiren as Sang Sang :heart:

• Like 3

3 hours ago, n3bula said:

Really ? According to that list who is coming back?

I appologize ,:sweatingbullets::sweatingbullets:  Big Typo . I edited my post, I was asking if they made an official statement on who the cast for Season 2 will be for Ever Night. Mydramalist hasn’t officially made page for Season 2 yet.. They usually make a page for a drama quite fast even with only two cast members being listed. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, dzareth said:

Coward! Lol:P

The changes made to the live adaptation kind of gave that vibe, don't they? Should this guess be true, i wonder if it is a creative change or a political one (due to higher up interferences etc). I really want to hear Mao Ni's thoughts as SS is kind of his favourite character. 

Overall, EN is not a bad series. Despite the declining quality of martial arts scenes and special effects, the production team performed quite admirably with creative fighting scenes that one only see in big budget movies. But, while it was an awesome adaptation up until the wilderness episodes, from then on it became a mess. Character development is basically disregarded in favour of puppy love. SS became a whiny, lovesick adolescent and NQ became someone who raised his hands in a bad way. For all the disfunctional personality that novel NQ had, he is not the kind who hits people unless in fights or life/death matters. And novel SS is not whiny or one who smiles too much that it feels creepy. 

Another excellent post from you and yet another post that summarises my feelings towards this adaptation.  I also felt there is marked difference in the tone and quality between the first and second half of the drama. Perhaps because the first half stuck closer to the novel?  I think if it had continued in that vein the drama could have been a masterpiece but it's too late now.

I would love to hear Mao Ni's honest thoughts.  By the way, both you and @lynne22 have mentioned some of  his other works.  Do you recommend them?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, UnniSarah said:

I appologize ,:sweatingbullets::sweatingbullets:  Big Typo . I edited my post, I was asking if they made an official statement on who the cast for Season 2 will be for Ever Night. Mydramalist hasn’t officially made page for Season 2 yet.. They usually make a page for a drama quite fast even with only two cast members being listed. 

Oh okay. Nothing official yet. I'm wondering if the will say it after this week. When are they starting to film do you know?

• Like 1

@raziela Mao Ni's work are always an interesting read, due to different reasons....

You can see some of his current novel that are translated in this NU link :

https://www.novelupdates.com/nauthor/mao-ni/

There were 2 novel aside from EN that were most talk about. One is Ze Tian Ji, which I really recommend, and another is Joy of Life.

Joy of life also had an adaptation, but haven't aired yet... so I'm not sure if this is a loose adaptation or not. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2