[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Ever Night 将夜

tothestars

1 hour ago, Wotad said:

I mean there is another season and maybe a season 3 not every romance needs to be rushed and clear cut. 

All im saying is i hope the book readers dont follow season two and complain about everything little thing, if you cant accept changes dont watch season two and complain.

This thread basically just turned into all book readers posting spoilers rather than actually discussing the drama. 

I have no issues with MSS being added more to the show to make SS jealous or for NQ to realise how special SS is to him , a clear cut romance is simply boring. 

As a consumer, complaints is the best part when buying into something that cleary can use some improvement/fix. Although, I would say its more of a constructive criticism/feedback.

Im not a fan of clear cut romance either so NQ/MSS isnt my cup of tea. Their scenes together are nice

/fluffy but too straightfoward.

It doesnt have the weight/complexity/

history as NQ/SS. I like substance.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, greenwatch08 said:

As a consumer, complaints is the best part when buying into something that cleary use some improvement

/fix. Although, I would say its more of a constructive criticism/feedback.

Im not a fan of clear cut romance either so NQ/MSS isnt my cup of tea. Their scenes together are 

nice/fluffy but too straightfoward. It doesnt have the weight/complexity/

history as NQ/SS. I like substance.

If you didnt know about the book would you think it would need a improvement or changes??

You can complain but every time i check this thread its complaint's. 

The book and show should not even be compared to begin with they are different products and are not clones of each other. 

Im just saying that after seeing loads of negative comments about the drama being so much worse than the books and them apparently destroying the characters it ruins the drama for me, maybe im alone and in the minority.

W/e i hope when season two comes we get less book readers flooding the discussion with spoilers and negativity, i just wont bother with this thread anymore everytime i come here it's just negative stuff. Ill check back after i finished the drama. 

9 minutes ago, Wotad said:

if you didnt know about the book would you think it would need a improvement or changes??

You can complain but every time i check this thread its complaint's. 

The book and show should not even be compared to begin with they are different products and are not clones of each other. 

Im not familiar w/the book.

Yes, I do have my fair share of gripes about the drama & some has nothing to do w/ the comparison w/the webnovel.

I enjoy the discussion of both the webnovel & drama here. It gives me a clearer understanding of the characters.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, rhaps said:

In my case :

Hide contents

Yes, for epi 47-48 :P

:D

Have you read the book's or spoilers and know the difference's.?

w/e though maybe im just different in regards to this i never expected a book and show to be similar at all and would never read a book during a show because naturally you compare and it ruins the show for you. 

Im done here though you guys can enjoy the thread but reading spoilers and negative stuff is not good for my mood. 

1 minute ago, greenwatch08 said:

Im not familiar w/the book.

Yes, I do have my fair share of gripes about the drama & some has nothing to do w/ the comparison of the webnovel.

I enjoy the discussion of both the webnovel & drama here. It gives me a clearer understanding of the characters.

Yeah maybe we are just different i dont mind a discussion and comparison but when it comes to straight negativity that is not fun at all 

Maybe I have seen too many c-drama go completely off the rails or have the OTP behave in incomprehensible ways but I am on the whole really happy how this drama turned out now that it's in the home stretch.  I don't think that any drama or movie can completely capture a well-written novel that has complexity and layers to it.  For me, the characters behaved in believable ways, regardless of whether it stayed true to the novel, and I was frustrated in parts where I should feel frustrated and for me the drama has done enough to make me believe that the OTP are meant to be together and to no one else.

So some of you guys hated that he didn't show enough desperation when SS left and also complain he does not really show how much SS means to him before...but now they show him desperate when he thinks SS is being taken away and publicly say how much she means to him, you say it's too abrupt, too much, and corny?  You guys are less forgiving of this drama because of MSS than even SS is to NQ  :lol:  I though someone posted here that he mentioned something about marrying SS to Chen Pipi when he visited.  Also, from the translation of his conversation with Chen Pipi in the mountains he said "Sang Sang would not allow me to have a concubine" if the translation of the drama is accurate he already anticipates making her his wife, otherwise he would have said SS wouldn't allow him to marry. So for me, it's not that he just thought about marriage in that moment but he was compelled to say something otherwise SS might be taken away.

You know what, SS could have stayed at her parents and they would have had a more conventional romantic relationship where they could go on dates, show their most attractive side, and be lovey-dovey...but no, not this two...when you have literally watched each other going to the bathroom (I can't believe the drama went there :joy:) your relationship is past the point of normal courtship and romance.  What I actually love about the drama is how it shows NQ and SS being happy in their simple domestic life.  You see them having that in the cave.

I like that he finally succeeded in leaving the cave because he felt he needed to rescue SS.  It follows the same theme as his breakthrough in the wilderness where missing her and wanting to go back home led him to that transformation he did.  Shows that SS is his motivation in everything he does. 

For me the fight scenes are good enough because in other dramas like this I usually hate the overdone CGI and the ridiculously orchestrated moves that makes the characters look silly, so fighting scenes were never my favorite.

What I love is the sequence where his brother and sisters take turns visiting him, they really do feel like a family and not just like disciples of one master. 

• Like 8
  • LOL 1

25 minutes ago, kiara_bleu said:

Maybe I have seen too many c-drama go completely off the rails or have the OTP behave in incomprehensible ways but I am on the whole really happy how this drama turned out now that it's in the home stretch.  I don't think that any drama or movie can completely capture a well-written novel that has complexity and layers to it.  For me, the characters behaved in believable ways, regardless of whether it stayed true to the novel, and I was frustrated in parts where I should feel frustrated and for me the drama has done enough to make me believe that the OTP are meant to be together and to no one else.

So some of you guys hated that he didn't show enough desperation when SS left and also complain he does not really show how much SS means to him before...but now they show him desperate when he thinks SS is being taken away and publicly say how much she means to him, you say it's too abrupt, too much, and corny?  You guys are less forgiving of this drama because of MSS than even SS is to NQ  :lol:  I though someone posted here that he mentioned something about marrying SS to Chen Pipi when he visited.  Also, from the translation of his conversation with Chen Pipi in the mountains he said "Sang Sang would not allow me to have a concubine" if the translation of the drama is accurate he already anticipates making her his wife, otherwise he would have said SS wouldn't allow him to marry. So for me, it's not that he just thought about marriage in that moment but he was compelled to say something otherwise SS might be taken away.

You know what, SS could have stayed at her parents and they would have had a more conventional romantic relationship where they could go on dates, show their most attractive side, and be lovey-dovey...but no, not this two...when you have literally watched each other going to the bathroom (I can't believe the drama went there :joy:) your relationship is past the point of normal courtship and romance.  What I actually love about the drama is how it shows NQ and SS being happy in their simple domestic life.  You see them having that in the cave.

I like that he finally succeeded in leaving the cave because he felt he needed to rescue SS.  It follows the same theme as his breakthrough in the wilderness where missing her and wanting to go back home led him to that transformation he did.  Shows that SS is his motivation in everything he does. 

For me the fight scenes are good enough because in other dramas like this I usually hate the overdone CGI and the ridiculously orchestrated moves that makes the characters look silly, so fighting scenes were never my favorite.

What I love is the sequence where his brother and sisters take turns visiting him, they really do feel like a family and not just like disciples of one master. 

The costumes/set designs & setting is gorgeous. I dont think Id ever watched a drama this beautiful. The cinematography is breathetaking, along w/the scenery. The input in music on certain scenes adds a nice touch. It really elevates the show. 

NQ/SS may not be romantic in their gestures/interactions but their domestic activities together is cute/fun to watch. It reminds me of their interactions before the wasteland arc. NQ&SS were so cute in Weicity too. I love it when NQ warms her up when shes cold. The nuance in little things NQ/SS share w/eachother & do together speaks volume. The intimacy of NQ/SS's closeness is portrayed naturally well. 

• Like 6

Few of my favorite scenes from Ep 49-50 :wub:

I hope this can make everyone smile..... :wub:

Spoiler

- Ning Que's reaction when he sees that Sang Sang is back... the relief he felt is so telling..... 

giphy.gif

He even turn around the second time just to make sure Sang Sang is real. :wub:

giphy.gif

- I keep saying this, but he look at her differently now..

giphy.gif

- And of course don't forget the big smile they gave each other when eating... Its like a tension has been released. That its a silent way of saying We're Ok.

giphy.gif

- When Sang Sang con her parents, so they won't be mad again and let her stay with Ning Que........ Her solution... call them Father and Mother :D The wink she gave Ning Que afterward was so telling... :joy: 

3d9692801a7905d2e34250a476b42a2e.gif

- And I remember @angelangie wants some hug right? :wub:

26c49be87622ce69929b9db19f1dc8a2.gif

- And the last one .. Sigh....... :wub:

d859f9fd60bc23d3e63f059683158b97.gif

@rhaps 

Spoiler

Yeah... I think he can control them now.... 

2 hours ago, kiara_bleu said:

@kiara_bleu Yes.... I love this part too.. :) 

And I crack out a bit when 6th brother chop down a block of wood to show of NQ's new blade ability, Sang Sang sweetly ask him to chop some more while he's at it.... :D LOL...... 

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

@Wotad, with the regards to the contamination of novel fans in a drama forum, you are absolutely correct. In fact, most of the novel readers (me included) only read the novel AFTER watching the first episode. But I'm afraid this occurrence will not be the last for such situations. IMho, in EN's case, this happened because the availability 

of english translations that preceeds aired episodes - EN gained benefit AND misfortune due yo this matter. If we were to compare with say, Condor Heroes, even the versions after 2000, the isn't much novel vs drama comparison as translations are still pretty much non-existent. But people were still comparing between the airing version and previous versions. Even k-drama secretary kim faced similar treatment. And come eat shan shan. And my sunshine... Actually many more. This is further enhanced when unsubbed and/or subbed episodes are ready for viewing within a short period.

I apologised to all viewers who prefer to remain spoiler free. If i were one of you i'd launch my own primordial dart the moment the first word of the spoiler is being written. And those who are impatient to share spoilers should exercise caution. As much as as i enjoy being spoiled, I'm honestly not a fan of word-by-word sharing of the novel on this page. A link would suffice. 

But, i am a guilty party too. I do tend to compare novel content especially after the related episode is aired.

Having said, i don't think having 2 sets of EN forum (spoiler-free and spoiler-included) is a solution. But i suppose it is a compromise. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, greenwatch08 said:

The costumes/set designs & setting is gorgeous.

Absolutely agree with this. 

The fact that the costume has influence from non-Chinese cultures constantly reminded me of its fantasy setting, despite having names that would confuse with actual history. 

Xiling Citadel is definitely very GoT, but i love how they infuse Chinese ancient costumes with some ancient western and contemporary touches. I especially like CPP's costume, which reminds me of Benedictine monks, and NQ's costumes with the un-sewn hemlines, the many buckles, YS's robe, LY's dresses is very Cersei Lannister-like, SS's female ninja attire... Many more. I even love LKD's helmet! :D

The scenery is not quite T&E, but at least they were shot outdoors. I did wonder why wasn't there any special effects showing the lake that covers demon gate being drained.... That was a bit strange... 

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

@rhaps 

4 hours ago, rhaps said:

Hide contents

Like I said, I also love how they showed him getting out of the cave. It's pretty cool. 

And I thought that NQ would bump his head again like before (which was pretty stupid), but luckily he didnt :P . I'm glad that the drama didnt make him do that in panic

Well, he had motivations :D 

giphy.gif

And, can we give a round of applause for Big brother 12... Chen Pipi... He's adorable and the best person you would need to give you advice and cheer you! 

giphy.gif

Anyway... I really like seeing Ning Que in Black... he looks good :wub:

• Like 5

I think one of the highlight of ep 51-53 for me is chao xiaoshu :D

Spoiler

0068hE0kly1fydlucyft2g30it0dg1kx.gif 

0068hE0kly1fydluf5llrg30in0dchdt.gif

6ce14f2bly1fydtiq1zvzj21400qotia.jpg

6ce14f2bly1fydtipq81uj21400qowmc.jpg

786d378dgy1fyepv3u2ffj20zk0k0gnf.jpg

The lady is someone that rescued him when he's injured. And apparently she's more or less getting harassed for helping him, a stranger. Well.. they met the wrong guy.. its very easy for Chao xiashu kick their *ss LOL. 

Anyway, now chao xiao shu is healed...he had this interesting conversation with the lady...

He put the money in the table, and she say more or less, that giving money is unnecessary, he should just go if he thinks she did it for money.... but he replied with this smooth words:

"This money is for my wife, for her to buy food and stuff..... if you want to [meaning becoming his wife], then take it [the money]"

And she takes it :D

And this arc ended with them leaving the village :D

Arghhh Chao xiashu doesn't speak much.. but when he do.... it will leave impressions! :wub:

His appearance this time is short.. but a good way to end his story in this season....

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

38 minutes ago, rhaps said:

@angelangie I have no problems with Leon in a period garb. He looked decent as a wise King.

@lynne22, I think NQ has many costumes this week . Just for tonight's episodes, he has worn 3 costumes already. Even SS doesnt have that many :P

Btw, I just realized that the Empress was once in Nirvana in Fire 2. I'm kinda surprised because she looked very mature here, while she looked compatible with Liu Hao Ran in NIF2 :P

Hide contents

Love the fighting scene between XH-Tang. It's pretty good. I especially love how the armor deflected all attacks. Cool

Those Xilling guys are scary and lewd. Poor YHY

Too bad, YHY hasn't meet NQ this week :( ..

:phew: and he looks oh so good! in each of them 

006AUUKhly1fydk60i71rj318z0u0x6p.jpg (405�270)

Anyway,....... 

Spoiler

Yes... the fighting scenes is great! I love it.... I'm confused tho about the thing Xia hou is holding in his hand when he fights Tang...

And.. argh.. that lewd priest... I'm pretty sure its that freaky headmaster that arrange them to attack Ye HongYu.. ugh! :crazy: 

Anyway... NQ-SS is adorable hehehe.......... 

Btw the talk between the empress and NQ is interesting... the tone of the empress when she says she's also a Demon Cult saintess is threathing right? I really like this talk...

23 minutes ago, angelangie said:

when u have motivation things work for the best 

especially when the motivator knew very well which button to push :) 

:D agreed! 

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

I guess not everyone can be happy with the different opinions given in a group discussion. Some don't like spoilers, others don't like book readers comparisons, negativity etc. However,  we can all agree on one thing and that is the fact that we like EN. Otherwise, we wouldn't be here. I think it's important to respect each others opinion regardless if we agree with them or not. Let's agree to disagree and move on.

I am still waiting for eng subs so I can watch and be able to further discuss. Thanks for those who translate scenes for us. I do like the way NingSang looks at each other even more now. They look extremely happy and I'm loving it. We are seeing the transition to romance now. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, angelangie said:

anyway all that asides i still like what NingQue said in front of others despite the setting is not like by others.......

love-red-crablove-red-crablove-red-crablove-red-crablove-red-crablove-red-crab

Hide contents

宁缺:“我们的命,从来都是绑在一起的,我已经习惯了身边有桑桑的日子,习惯到我从来没有想过身边会没有她,桑桑,我非常喜欢这个习惯,你不许离开我,我要娶你!”

NingQue: "Our life had always been tied together, I'm use to having SangSang besides me all the times, so used to it that it had never ever accrue to me not to have her besides me, SangSang, I really like this habits, you are not allowed to leave me, I want to marry you!"

@angelangie I love this as well :wub:. Give me more of these and I'll be happy. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

1 hour ago, n3bula said:

I guess not everyone can be happy with the different opinions given in a group discussion. Some don't like spoilers, others don't like book readers comparisons, negativity etc. However,  we can all agree on one thing and that is the fact that we like EN. Otherwise, we wouldn't be here. I think it's important to respect each others opinion regardless if we agree with them or not. Let's agree to disagree and move on.

Frankly, there was a point for me yesterday  where like @Wotad I wanted to take a break from the forum and just enjoy the rest of the drama.  It's not so much the criticisms of how certain scenes played out because I have similar criticisms but more the tone I felt from the past few pages where you can have the impression that the whole drama has been completely ruined and what it has done successfully got lost to pointing out everything that is wrong with it.  It just felt like for a moment the drama can do nothing right and it's not really enjoyable for the discussion to turn that way.  I'm glad we seem to be moving on from that.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, rhaps said:

Thanks!

-EDITED-

Sorry, there's a problem in my connection. I keep on failing to edit / post comments

@angelangie

@lynne22, I think NQ has many costumes this week . Just for tonight's episodes, he has worn 3 costumes already. Even SS doesnt have that many :P

Btw, I just realized that the Empress was once in Nirvana in Fire 2. I'm kinda surprised because she looked very mature here, while she looked compatible with Liu Hao Ran in NIF2 :P

Hide contents

Love the fighting scene between XH-Tang. It's pretty good. I especially love how the armor deflected all attacks. Cool

Those Xilling guys are scary and lewd. Poor YHY

Too bad, YHY hasn't meet NQ this week :( ..

Yes yes the empress was in NoF2 with LHR, her eyes when looking at somebody is deep, i was also surprise she was in NoF2 and look younger and like usual spoiled princess (still better though than Li Yu), and now in EN, she look so mature and graceful. 

I also like the fight scene between TXT n XH! That's what i expect with cultivation n sword/hand-combat should like! Just like the fighting scene in Spring Breeze Pavilion.

IMHO, with all the flaws EN is one of the best novel adaptation c-drama ever, with bonus breath-taking natural scenery, the fighting choreography, the costumes, the osts, and last but not least the casts. I believe it reached 70-80% faithfull to the novel.

The flaws in script and directing for romance scenes is inevitable, despite all the efforts that had been done to stay faithfully to the novel, there must be some business interest involved. How the series will guarantee gain a lot of audiences and make profit for the company after investing a lot of money. Maybe selection for the cast changing the script aka the script adjusted with the cast selection, we never know, at the end it is all about business profit. Cruel fact.

But hey there is no 100% perfect thing ever exist in this world, because there always will be some subjective opinions or different perspectives from people. And when an outcome or product comes from the hardwork of more than one person, there should be conflict of interest. When it comes from the hardwork of one person, there will be one and only interest and result. That's why a novel from a hardwork of one author will never get 100% adapted or realized into a movie/film/series that comes from a hardwork of an ansamble team. We can reflect from Harry Potter's project that being handled directly with J.K Rowling herself, the author, was it 100% adapted? No.

So for EN S1 i would still give my standing ovation to the production team! Well done guys and keep up for the season 2!

Just my 2 cents.

• Like 6