[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Ever Night 将夜

tothestars

3 hours ago, Snow Guardian said:

haha, I used to rooted so hard to Ashes of Love's drama but now no more. I found that Ever Night is much better than AOL:D 

I quite interested with the topic of comparison between SS and MSS personality. I personally do not hate her, but I do dislike her for few reasons:D As for me, SS is much kinder and more innocent in certain point degree than MSS. Unfortunately, MSS's appearance, other than looking beautiful and perfect like a royal princess, made her look much gentle and kind. While, SS, from the outer simple appearance (from the clothes that she is wearing) and I think she also have a bit of low self esteem characters, which obviously made her look inferior:tears: BUT SANGSANG IS VERY SELFLESS. (I found this in the novel). Therefore, she thought and assumes that by running away from home its not a big deal for NQ since he already found someone who is more dearly than her:bawling: she thought, by her leaving home and NQ, he would be more happy and ofcourse, she is wrong! She is not a selfish person and she always prioritizes her young master's happiness than herself. She wanna give NQ-MSS an opportunity to be together, and she doesnt wanna getting their ways.

and the second reason why I like SS and think that she much better is because..(BE AWARE, SPOILERS!)

Reveal hidden contents

(I think this scene would be shown in S2).. where MSS was preparing her marriage with the king at River country. and when NQ knew that, SS encourages him to stop the wedding since they both know MSS would not be happy in her marriage life and OFCOURSE THEY BOTH KNOW MSS STILL HAVE A STRONG FEELING TOWARDS NQ. Upon hearing the news, SS indirectly says to NQ that she will help him to stop the wedding because she knew that even though NQ wasnt prepare to marry MSS in the past, and chose her, but.. sigh.. I hate to see that SS always becomes a very considering person whenever things related to NQ's happiness, she doesnt mind being jealous or hurt:tears: even though she, as usual, acts whatever or cold towards him. She knew that NQ doesnt want to see MSS marry another man. Or perhaps, NQ knew that the king that gonna marry MSS has nasty behavior (just treat it as a bad guy). So, SS led NQ to River Kingdom and stop the wed. I dont want to say more, dont want to spoil too much. Sorry guys:D
Because of these reasons, I LOVE SS and rooted to her! Whenever she is little handmainden SS or Haotian SS. For me, she has the quality that makes me to admire her. And the question is, if MSS was in SS's shoes, would she does the same as SS's??? I believe, she wont do that, by judging her personality. she might only depressed or silent by knowing NQ still thinking another girl than her. Especially after they are married.

Reveal hidden contents

While SS always try to avoid by not getting involve with NQ-MSS relationship or anything related to them. On the other hand, MSS always trying to push or entering NQ-SS's world by force, in directly (she even dares to do that again even though she knew NQ-SS already married), which makes me annoyed and getting my nerve. I want to fight her for SS, but what can I say, I only in no-doubt level... poor me...:bawling:

SS does have low self esteem in a way she percieves her appearance, & it doesnt help that NQ calls her ugly/teases about her skin on previous occasions. So its natural that she would feel inferior to MSS. I adore SS. She has alot of personality/relatability. Something 'bout her is endearing. Im glad she decides to leave NQ, the selfish twerp, to give herself some time/space to reflect on her own. This allows her to have more agency. 

• Like 6

Just want to re-quote this again... because it's a possibility... Chao xiashu will appear this week.. or the next... LOL.. can't wait >.<

On 11/30/2018 at 2:29 PM, lynne22 said:

Anyway... for anyone missing Chao xiaoshu, don't worry he'll appear again.. Maybe not so soon. But he will hehe.... and

Reveal hidden contents

possibly with a significant other too if they follow the book.. :phew:

0068hE0kgy1fxq0itpe22j30qo12baoz.jpg

Anyway.............................................. I'm looking forward to a fresh new arc this week.... Let's get the story rolling..... :D 

a1b79d29a6fcc12b0e3d3f76d3393d8a.jpg

• Like 7

I don't hate MSS at all, but I'm highly influenced by the novel. I don't know if Mao Ni actually wrote the story in such a way or was it the translators that made such a wonderful translation/ interpretation of the novel, but reading the translations (at least until the present translated chapter), one just cannot say with conviction that MSS is going to be enough for NQ. Quoting 2nd brother when 1st brother stated there is no reason for NQ to NOT choose MSS - "Because he cannot forget SS." And the part from the moment SS left was so exquisitely written (translated) that one can just feel NQ's desperation. From there, even if NQ does get on with MSS and even if there is no romantic attachment between NQ-SS, readers just know that absolutely NO ONE can take SS's place in NQ's life. If you can't call it love, then it's probably loyalty. But because of this, MSS becomes irrelevant no matter how likeable she is. 

• Like 7

@dzareth I too don't hate MSS. She's a nice and graceful girl. Its actually her bad luck falling in love with someone unattainable. After reading and knowing how devoted NQ is to SS, I don't think he would ever get with MSS, even when SS was thought to be gone.. she's the furthest from his mind. That, I can assure everyone. I always see NQ's feeling to MSS more of a thankful and regretful to her. 

Tbh, after much talk with my friends... I think the main reason I was disappointed with how the story line of MSS's appearance [as a catalyst for NQ and SS's transition] was that the drama made it like a triangle and over did it.. when it doesn't really have to be like this...

This story line lost the poetic feeling it gave me when I read this part of the journey..... to me the drama cheapens it instead. Sigh.....

Anyway... I was planning to share this after S1 is over.. but as @dzareth is talking about it.. I guess its not too early to share this.

The author of Jiang Ye/Ever Night, Mao Ni is a good writer IMO, all of his book, except one [Joy of life] have monogamous relationship for the OTP, but in every journey there will be some ambiguous relationship, because its part of human life.. and its realistic... that eventually we will make our choices on who we would choose.

Now, Here's some of his Q&A during Ze Tian Ji [Way of Choices]  that perhaps can answer why he write his character like this... I really like his reasoning... at the end of the day... everything is based on choice.. realistic choice.

Source http://gravitytales.com/page/way-of-choices/mao-ni-question-answer-session-6-1

Q: Did Mo Yu really sincerely marry the Prince of Louyang? If so, why did you write about that ambiguous relationship with her and the Chen Changsheng [the lead]?
A: 

• For sincerity…for any independent woman, their personality is embodied in their choice of marriage partner. If she doesn’t sincerely want to get married, she naturally won’t get married. 
  • As for why I wrote about that ambiguous relationship at the start…everyone of us might have many ambiguous relationships with the opposite sex in our life, but in the end, we only walk together with one of them. Of course, we can dream about even more…but those are just dreams.

--------------
Q: Why is that when you were writing Nightfall and Way of Choices (mostly just Xu Yourong [female lead of ZTJ]) that you only have one female main character but write the female supporting characters so well? #Sad
A: Because that’s just how life is…or perhaps it’s better to say that it’s how a good life is.
--------------
Q: Big Mao has stressed before that Nightfall is underrated, and I’m sure that Big Mao has analyzed why Nightfall was undervalued. The presence of a female main character truly is hard for some people to accept. When people read books, they’ll put themselves inside, and men all like beautiful girls. Does Xu Yourong occupy the position of number one beautiful girl in Way of Choices affected by this review of Nightfall’s problems? Does it represent a sort of compromise from Big Mao?
A: Of course not, I just like beautiful girls…but this will never affect the supreme position that Sangsang occupies in my heart.
--------------
Q: Secretly asking, Big Mao, when writing you female characters, which one makes you think of your special person?
A: Bai Sangsang… [White Sangsang, the one person that Ning Que devoted his life, and fight for]

Anyway.... *shamelesly promoting* LOL.. if you guys like Ever Night.. do check out Ze Tian Ji [ Way of choices ] in gravity tales website. Its also a very good story. My favorite in fact. But this one is not as heavy in romance as Jiang Ye [ Ever Night ], its more philosophical in nature.

But I assure you the romance.. the OTP. Chen changsheng and Xu Yourong is worth it! They are what in Ashes of Love would say "one couple who is as if one body, one mind and one soul"

And if you're not into romance.. hehe... the philosophy here is deep, and great fighting scene!!!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

SS is so lucky to get so much love there @lynne22! Isn't it unique how we were initially given the understanding that SS is more loyal to NQ but it turned out that NQ is more devoted? Some people may say they are equally devoted, but i think NQ a bit more so because SS took a huge gamble by leaving NQ after MSS came into the picture. NQ could've rode his black horse towards the sunset with MSS since MSS is a great girl (even SS admits so) and NQ genuinely likes her. In other words, SS would sacrifice herself in this matter. But NQ is unwilling to do.

NQ is presently my favourite wuxia character. He reminds me so much of Linghu Chong, another fun character. 

• Like 6

Hello chingu @lynne22  Thank you so much for interview. 

In Nightfall my favorite character is Sang Sang . Sang Sang because of her love for NQ. SS’s love for NQ is so pure , strong and unforgettable. She has always put him first and will do her utmost to protect him. He is a ruthless, shameless , protective of SS, loves his entire family ( from the General Household), has a good heart and smart. He also loves to pretend but I also think the only people who can see right through him is His brother and sisters and Sang Sang.  CMIIW  

I don’t hate MSS either but I will not deny she found his shameless actions very cute. He would make her smile. She also put him down sometimes because he wasn’t strong enough which kinda hurt his pride but NQ took it like a man. He didn’t get mad or started acting like a bad man

Chingu in spoiler tag  Answer this question for me Does FuZi love his disciples??? Nahhh.!!! It’s okay don’t answer my question.   I will wait to find out for myself. I have beeen spoiling myself way to much. I need to stop asking for spoilers . Lol lol lol 

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

@dzareth 

To me, Ning Que and Sang Sang's relationship have this unconditional caring and trust where both values the others very much.

But Yes, I agree, I think think Ning Que is the more devoted one out of the two.

It's not that the current Sang Sang doesn't care for him any less, to me this is more because of Ning Que's psychological issues.

Ning Que himself admits that he is selfish, if possible, he would rather have Sang Sang stand behind him, so he can became her shield. 

I think this feeling develops because of how he struggles to survive at young age and also facing the feeling of despair at his situation.

By taking care of Sang Sang, he ultimately finds his reason to live [aside form revenge]. That's why I think he needs Sang Sang even more. Sang Sang is his anchor, his new home that he found when he lost everything. So as long as he is breathing, there is no way he is willing to loose his home again. For whatever reason.

Neither it is to Long Qing, Mo Shan Shan nor to "Son of Hades".

@UnniSarah LOL... its an easy answer.... to know the teacher, you should first look at the students... hehe.. Eldest and 2nd brother cares a lot for their brothers and sister... so the answer is simple right? :D

• Like 4

12 hours ago, pad-hari said:

Not only these situations she grew up was bad, in fact there is a scene in chapter 359, I think when she leaves home and in her parents house.  When she looks into the beautiful bronze mirror she thinks how she dressed while growing up without seeing a mirror.  Here is the excerpt from the novel.  When I read this, awwwww my heart really broke for the little girl

:tears: She really had a tough upbriging even though NQ did his best but he was just a child too!  I'm so pleased her mother and father are such good people.

12 hours ago, ningsangcpp said:

NQ will change to Dylan Wang 

SS will stay the same as Song yi Ren 

MSS will change to another actress not familiar with her but I think it's the one shown pulling her hair in the vid 

LQ will change aswell, also unsure of the actor but I think it's that guy shown in the video 

YHY will remain the same so far 

Thanks for translating!  So basically the whole cast is changing except SYR?

9 hours ago, pad-hari said:

I heard yang yang in the video, I think.  So I hope she is the director.  And I don't think they'll take this to another season.  They will try to incorporate the balance half of 500+ episodes in S2, even though it's very difficult coz there are more important scenarios in the 2nd half of the novel.  They are having so much casting problems unless they should have signed with the cast to compulsorily finish off the whole novel as drama.

That's a lot to cover in one season but I suspected they would have to make major changes because it gets way too dark and bloody after a certain point for a drama. The censors would not allow it and most audience would not want to watch it.

8 hours ago, ningsangcpp said:

In the video they did indeed mention Yang Yang however it wasn't a direct confirmation that she's the director but rather that she was the one that gave out news and confirmation of a season 2 plus the actors in season 2. So I would assume she's still directing it :D. Also forgot to mention Fuzi will not be played by same actor anymore aswell. Pretty much seems like everyone's changed except SYR. I'd definitely still watch for her though! 

I hope Yang Yang returns.  She is a good director.  Even if I don't agree with every aspect of the drama, it is clear from the BTS the feel and look of the drama is very much down to her vision and has helped set the drama apart and succeed. I do hope they are working with another scriptwriter because I think the current script has issues and the story is going to be even more of a challenge next season.

8 hours ago, greenwatch08 said:

SS does have low self esteem in a way she percieves her appearance, & it doesnt help that NQ calls her ugly/teases about her skin on previous occasions. So its natural that she would feel inferior to MSS. I adore SS. She has alot of personality/relatability. Something 'bout her is endearing. Im glad she decides to leave NQ, the selfish twerp, to give herself some time/space to reflect on her own. This allows her to have more agency. 

Agree.  SS is so lovable and endearing. I feel so protective of her :lol: and I think NQ's constant teasing must certainly have affected her self-esteem and the bringing MSS back was the final straw. SS leaving NQ was the best decision for the both of them.

5 hours ago, lynne22 said:

Just want to re-quote this again... because it's a possibility... Chao xiashu will appear this week.. or the next... LOL.. can't wait >.<

Spoiler

0068hE0kgy1fxq0itpe22j30qo12baoz.jpg

Anyway.............................................. I'm looking forward to a fresh new arc this week.... Let's get the story rolling..... :D 

Spoiler

a1b79d29a6fcc12b0e3d3f76d3393d8a.jpg

*fangirls* I will be so happy if Chao returns?  NingSang on course, Chao back, MSS out, more YHY.  i am so looking forward to this arc! 

4 hours ago, lynne22 said:

Anyway... I was planning to share this after S1 is over.. but as @dzareth is talking about it.. I guess its not too early to share this.

The author of Jiang Ye/Ever Night, Mao Ni is a good writer IMO, all of his book, except one [Joy of life] have monogamous relationship for the OTP, but in every journey there will be some ambiguous relationship, because its part of human life.. and its realistic... that eventually we will make our choices on who we would choose.

Now, Here's some of his Q&A during Ze Tian Ji [Way of Choices]  that perhaps can answer why he write his character like this... I really like his reasoning... at the end of the day... everything is based on choice.. realistic choice.

Thanks so much for sharing the interview with Mao Ni.  I loved reading his thoughts,  It's nice to see how much he appreciates Sang Sang too. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, raziela said:

:tears: She really had a tough upbriging even though NQ did his best but he was just a child too!  I'm so pleased her mother and father are such good people.

Thanks for translating!  So basically the whole cast is changing except SYR?

That's a lot to cover in one season but I suspected they would have to make major changes because it gets way too dark and bloody after a certain point for a drama. The censors would not allow it and most audience would not want to watch it.

I hope Yang Yang returns.  She is a good director.  Even if I don't agree with every aspect of the drama, it is clear from the BTS the feel and look of the drama is very much down to her vision and has helped set the drama apart and succeed. I do hope they are working with another scriptwriter because I think the current script has issues and the story is going to be even more of a challenge next season.

Agree.  SS is so lovable and endearing. I feel so protective of her :lol: and I think NQ's constant teasing must certainly have affected her self-esteem and the bringing MSS back was the final straw. SS leaving NQ was the best decision for the both of them.

*fangirls* I will be so happy if Chao returns?  NingSang on course, Chao back, MSS out, more YHY.  i am so looking forward to this arc! 

Thanks so much for sharing the interview with Mao Ni.  I loved reading his thoughts,  It's nice to see how much he appreciates Sang Sang too. 

That scene when NQ returns w/ MSS. Oh, the heartbreak. She looked like a chipmunk w/ her mouth full of rice. SS is so precious. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, greenwatch08 said:

That scene when NQ returns w/ MSS. Oh, the heartbreak. She looked like a chipmunk w/ her mouth full of rice. SS is so precious. 

She looked so adorable but she must have felt so mortified:( That moment was heartbreaking  Great acting by SYR and directing.

I meant to answer your earlier question about fanarts.  I saw a couple on weibo today.  Let me try to repost:

005EHQsLgy1fy6lnmjqxxj31rl1rlk0f.jpg

https://www.weibo.com/5182167375/H7eDzf3Qi?type=comment#_rnd1545175454203

006LIqIrgy1fybcssl9rej32n91zg1kz.jpg

https://www.weibo.com/p/100808befe1973b834bead28d7bcb98ca1928b/super_index#_rnd1545175243701

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

13 hours ago, epinklyn said:

Chinggus, plz someone translate this spoiler for upcoming eps, thx a lot

Thank you! I enlarged the image and just from the pictures I'm soooo excited for the upcoming episodes:  NingSang are back, looks like Sang Sang is still giving NQ a hard time (Good!) and I wonder what he is chatting about with SS dad; NQ in a new dashing outfit; Fu Zi punishing NQ, adorable Chen PiPi and his little romance; LQ being humbled and...CHAO XIAOSHU IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!

giphy.gif

I wonder what NQ is chatting about with SS dad?

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
  • Thanks 1

She looked so adorable but she must have felt so mortified:( That moment was heartbreaking  Great acting by SYR and directing.

Even though SYR may have been mortified @raziela   , NQ. Just was happy to see her. All her cute self . Lol lol 

giphy.gif?cid=4bf119fc5c1997fb5775596f41

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 3

34 minutes ago, raziela said:

Thank you! I enlarged the image and just from the pictures I'm soooo excited for the upcoming episodes:  NingSang are back, looks like Sang Sang is still giving NQ a hard time (Good!) and I wonder what he is chatting about with SS dad; NQ in a new dashing outfit; Fu Zi punishing NQ, adorable Chen PiPi and his little romance; LQ being humbled and...CHAO XIAOSHU IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!

giphy.gif

Today is the day, girl!!:lol:

• LOL 3

Thank you so much @raziela, from the trailer, NQ will propose SS to her dad, but SS not agree, dont know the full version of why, let see tonite!

Thx god it is Wednesday Yeayyyy, Happy Ever Night Days :lol:.

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

37 minutes ago, epinklyn said:

Thank you so much @raziela, from the trailer, NQ will propose SS to her dad, but SS not agree, dont know the full version of why, let see tonite!

Thx god it is Wednesday Yeayyyy, Happy Ever Night Days :lol:.

Thanks! NQ is going to propose already? I'm glad SS refuses.  Way too soon and he had better work harder for her hand in marriage :angry:

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

8 hours ago, raziela said:

Thanks! NQ is going to propose already? I'm glad SS refuses.  Way too soon and he had better work harder for her hand in marriage :angry:

Hahaha, agree! :lol:

I find it funny, when NQ looks like over the heels toward MSS - but wasnt prepare to marry her. Some people might thought he was actually being forced to make that decision because of SS. But, in my view, he doesnt. First, because he wasnt sure his own feeling towards mss even though he sincerely like her. So what? If a guy have to think over and over again to marry you or wasnt prepare to marry you, what does it means? It is obviously he doesnt love you enough or willingly to spend his life together with you even though he sweet talks with you.

Secondly, MSS knew that compares to SS, she isnt the most important person/girl in NQ's heart. NQ can still able to go on living even without MSS but he would not able to live without SS. Thus he wasnt hesitate to let go MSS  even though he somehow feels kinda such a waste (man ego) for letting go such a beautiful and good woman. All left in him is quilt towards MSS. (These are also mentioned in the novel)

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, Snow Guardian said:

Hahaha, agree! :lol:

I find it funny, when NQ looks like over the heels toward MSS - but wasnt prepare to marry her. Some people might thought he was actually being force to make that decision because of SS. But, in my view, he doesnt. First, because he wasnt sure his own feeling towards mss even though he sincerely like her. So what? If a guy have to think over and over again to marry you or wasnt prepare to marry you, what does it means? It is obviously he doesnt love you enough or willingly to spend his life together with you even though he sweet talks with you.

Secondly, MSS knew that compares to SS, she isnt the most important person/girl in NQ's heart. NQ can still able to go on living even without MSS but he would not able to live with SS. Thus he wasnt hesitate to let go MSS  even though he somehow feel kind such a waste (man ego) for letting go such a beautiful and good woman. All left to him is quilt. (These are also mentioned in the novel)

I agree with you.  Unfortunately, I think the the drama with all the unnecessary MSS stuff added didn't make this distinction clear enough unlike the novel.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

A little tidbit from the novel that is not really spoilery...remember when NQ and SS were leaving the city of Wei and this older woman was crying while saying goodbye telling NQ to take good care of SS and complaining that he wouldn't even consider marrying her off to the woman's nephew (not sure if this was mentioned in the drama)?  Ning Que was like how could he possibly think of marriage for Sangsang when she was only 8 yrs old at that time.  Well much, much later on in the novel this story comes up again with added detail: apparently the woman came to NQ asking for permission to have her nephew marry SS. Later that night NQ wanted to go "butcher" the nephew (doesn't say how old the nephew was) but SS stopped him from going.  That is quite an overreaction to the situation :joy:

I got this from the machine translated part of the novel so am not even going to bother copying it here, it's just a throaway line.  The context is that NQ was angrily telling SS that he always did what she wished and listed all things he did for her for example he didn't go hurt the nephew even when he wanted to cause she was not happy about that.

• Like 2
  • LOL 4