[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Ever Night 将夜

tothestars

The fight between SS and NQ looks intense.  I didn't have a chance to see the full, but he is even manhandling her by hitting her in the forehead and pulling her soft ears so strongly.  Now, I hate NQ.  Here's the video. Her father is calling her yuer, what is her birth name?  The parents of SS seems to me so sweet and naive.

CR: uploader

EDIT: I am posting some more videos from this uploader

NQ bids goodbye to MSS

SS meets MSS.  @satanghaesolim translated this for us

CR:uploader

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, raziela said:

@Daylight Chang Welcome to the thread!  Thank you for the videos :)

:lol::lol: I see you have your priorities in order!  Good point about a potential real kiss scene with an older lead. I wish they would hurry up and announce officially who will be replacing CFY.

I'm still not sure if I will watch the second season. I don't really have the patience to watch more than one season of any drama especially when most C-dramas are already too long.  I'm also not that pleased with how the writer has handled certain aspects already so I'm not sure if I trust her for the next part. It also seems like the plot will get very dark and I'm not sure I will be able to handle it.

Hahahhaa. I have already paved my own path towards this Season 2. I think you should watch it because I believe that is where NQ and SS love story will start. And also, the heart wrenching sacrifices of NQ towards the most important person and how far he can go and how many he will kill and sacrifice for the sake of that most important person in his life. Although, they better use the same wig as what NQ is using because it definitely looks real and youthful. Not the usual long well crafted one! 

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

19 hours ago, raziela said:

You're welcome :) I was also curious after reading fan posts about their relationship which is one of the reasons I started looking at the novel.  The fact that they omitted such simple and important information in the drama is just ridiculous IMO :wacko:

You are right that we should wait to see how it plays out and I do agree they are two different mediums'  Usually I wouldn't be so critical about differences but they seem to have missed some very important nuances that change the whole tone of the story. 

I can understand why it took so long as the plot is very complex and there are so many characters and groups and in terms of the plot I think she has done a good job. At the same time she seems to have missed the mark with the depth of NQ and SS relationship which is very disappointing and does the characters and the story a disservice.

Exactly. I am so confused by the way they have overdone the NQ-MSS relationship. to the point they have added extra romantic scenes and tropes that are not in the original novel.  What's the point? It adds nothing to the plot. Why spend so much time building up a NQ's little fling and making the actual OTP relationship look lacking in comparison rather than establishing the central relationship which is the foundation of NQ's character and the whole series?  It makes no sense!

Maybe I'll change my mind when I have watched the episodes but currently I feel the director and screenwriter do not really understand the NQ-SS relationship as written in the novel. I am very sceptical how they are going to turn things around in such a short time to make it believable that NQ is so devoted and in love with SS that he'll the fight the whole world. The funny thing is I would say for the first 20-something episodes they were doing a pretty good job with establishing the NQ-SS relationship even if they missed some important details but that's all gone out of the window in the subsequent episodes.

15 hours ago, rhaps said:

If they spent that much time to make a script, then they should have understood how NQ-SS's relationship should be, how much he cared about her and vice versa. I agree that the recent development makes the actual OTP relationship look lacking in comparison, rather than establishing the central relationship which is the foundation of NQ's character and the whole series. It does nothing good in that term. The only thing that it does well is making NQ looking like rude and doesnt care about SS as much as he did. 

Totally agree with these! -_-
Yes, it's true that we shouldn't compare the novel and drama, not when both are still align with the theme, however, when the drama made too much changes yet stay similar that's when I cant help but comparing. 

The whole core of the story is NQ-SS as the inseparable power couple. They may not realize it when they're young and there may be other distraction (MSS or others), but regardless whatever the obstacles / challenges,  they continue to stay true to each other. For me, Ever Night is not a romance story with all that jealousy, but it is about 2 people realizing how much they mean to each other and how far they can grow together. In NQ-SS world, there is no room for other people.

That's why in the novel, when NQ has to let go of MSS, he feels slight regret and apologetic yet he is not too broken-hearted about it because he knows which one his heart wants. 

Spoiler

In Ep 52 preview, I feel like he's regretting the separation a loot! :huh:

So when the drama took that out and digs more on the romance side, especially NQ-SS-MSS triangle, I cant help but cringing. 

To be fair, if we dont compare drama-novel, then the drama is the story of NQ - not NQ-SS.
It's NQ's journey for cultivation and his romance with MSS, whereas SS stays as the side story. But the title Ever Night itself is not about NQ, it's about SS as the you-know-who.

Oh well... It's done. As an audience, I'd just choose to skim through the part that I'm not too happy with. :sweatingbullets::P

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

1 hour ago, stucked said:

You really are my kindred spirit. :D :D :D 

Wow! Thank you for these helpful links!!!! And NingSang is really cute af. I wanna hug ‘em and squeeze ‘em and just cuddle these babies coz the world is just too cruel to them sometimes. And welcome to our awesome thread :) 

Thanks again @angelangie our dearest angel. *kiss* Hehe. The spoiler tags here in our forum are really gifts, you never know what uou gonna get but you can be sure that it will always be a good one. Always!

and perfect example of spoiler tag santa is @satanghaesolim woohooo! Thank you!!! :) 

And you're mine too @stucked since that comment you made when I posted that chapter before! Hahahaha. Now, I know, that somewhere out there, there's someone who has the same thought as me. Hahaha. We are the perfect two. Lol! I have been through a lot of sleepless night, read soo much chapter until I found that perfect scene. Hahahhaa. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

@penelop3, I finished watching through episodes 36 tonight and I must say I agree with your conclusion about the drama presented more like a story of NQ, his cultivation, and his romantic interests. While I have not read the novel, I have read plenty of the spoilers you guys posted here and I’m disappointed with some of the changes especially with the way they had SS mentioning her master in almost every scene she had while he was away in the wilderness. The disparity in her reflections on NQ compared to his reflections on her while in the wilderness is very wide. I was also disappointed because here I was thinking that I’d actually see more of WGM teaching SS and her development as his student but hardly anything happened before he departed. Maybe I was expecting too much. 

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, celebrianna said:

@pad-hari, thanks for the videos. How does SS find her parents? I mean, are they her biological parents? 

What is SS and NQ arguing about though?

Yes, it's her biological parents.  I skipped  the portion how they found her in the novel.  

BTW there is the translation done for the video by @ningsangcpp  in page 66.  

@thartie I agree with you.  Both their hairstyle with high pony-tail is so cute.  It's different from the usual c-dramas.  Me too likey:wub:

• Thanks 3

My only request for Season 2 is to retain NQ's wig! I love it. It looks soo natural and it's very shiny. And I love how they moves whenever the wind blows. 

9 minutes ago, pad-hari said:

Yes, it's her biological parents.  I skipped  the portion how they found her in the novel.  

BTW there is the translation done for the video by @ningsangcpp  in page 66.  

@thartie I agree with you.  Both their hairstyle with high pony-tail is so cute.  It's different from the usual c-dramas.  Me too likey:wub:

I know, right?! It's more than perfect! I'll be upset if they'll change the hairstyle. Hahaha

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

1 hour ago, penelop3 said:

Yes, it's true that we shouldn't compare the novel and drama, not when both are still align with the theme, however, when the drama made too much changes yet stay similar that's when I cant help but comparing. 

The whole core of the story is NQ-SS as the inseparable power couple. They may not realize it when they're young and there may be other distraction (MSS or others), but regardless whatever the obstacles / challenges,  they continue to stay true to each other. For me, Ever Night is not a romance story with all that jealousy, but it is about 2 people realizing how much they mean to each other and how far they can grow together. In NQ-SS world, there is no room for other people.

That's why in the novel, when NQ has to let go of MSS, he feels slight regret and apologetic yet he is not too broken-hearted about it because he knows which one his heart wants. 

Reveal hidden contents

So when the drama took that out and digs more on the romance side, especially NQ-SS-MSS triangle, I cant help but cringing. 

To be fair, if we dont compare drama-novel, then the drama is the story of NQ - not NQ-SS.
It's NQ's journey for cultivation and his romance with MSS, whereas SS stays as the side story. But the title Ever Night itself is not about NQ, it's about SS as the you-know-who.

Oh well... It's done. As an audience, I'd just choose to skim through the part that I'm not too happy with. :sweatingbullets::P

So true. The Drama/Novel is not just about NQ. It's about SS and the very man who will turn his back to the world just to protect her and die for her.

• Like 5

Spoiler

Mo Shanshan silently stood beside Ning Que, but withdrew a little bit.

She was somewhat happy, eager, and uneasy when invited by the Eldest Brother of the Academy to visit Chang'an. But one could not find such emotions on her peaceful and indifferent face. She knew why she was uneasy. Sometimes, she even wondered if her expectation of being in Chang'an was actually her expectation about Ning Que, or his little handmaiden.

Following Ning Que, she entered the Old Brush Pen Shop and saw the little handmaiden eating noodles on the wooden bench. The first time that she saw her, she knew that this was the person she had wanted to see. That little handmaiden was Sangsang.

The Sangsang that appeared at the very beginning of the Chicken Soup Calligraphy.

The Sangsang that Ning Que always mentioned.

During the summer nights, Mo Shanshan had scanned over the Chicken Soup Calligraphy beside the Ink Lake numerous times, so she was clearer than others, even Ning Que, about what absolute trust and intimacy were hidden in those disordered strokes of that handmaiden's name. So, she had been wondering what kind of handmaiden Sangsang was.

In the grassland palace, she said that she liked the Big Black Horse of Ning Que. In the Snow Fields, she said that she liked the calligraphy of Ning Que. And finally, when she was almost dying at the Front Gate of the Devil's Doctrine, she calmly said what she liked was not only the horse and the calligraphy, but also Ning Que.

At that time, she thought that she would die, so she just followed her heart to say so. Yet, she did not die in the end, and what she had said could not be withdrawn now. So, she was convinced that she really liked Ning Que, and was even more eager to see Sangsang.

But she felt a bit surprised when she actually saw Sangsang today. Because the girl was not the usual beautiful handmaiden that one would often see on the streets, but just a darkish, thin, and ordinary girl. She had not totally grown up because of her young age. In addition, when she held onto the big bowl and smiled with noodles hanging from her mouth, no one could have any other feeling than pity for her.

Facing such a little handmaiden, Mo Shanshan felt that her previous assumption and even her uneasiness before arriving in Chang'an had gone to extremes. So, she felt a bit ashamed and silently lowered her head after blankly looking at Sangsang for some time. She was now looking at the tip of her shoes and did not say anything else.

It looked a bit ridiculous seeing both Sangsang and Shanshan looking at the tip of their shoes, and the Old Brush Pen Shop was shrouded in a strange atmosphere.

Ning Que was immersed in the happiness of seeing Sangsang again, so he did not even notice it. As for the Eldest Brother, although he appeared to look up and down at the displays in the shop and seemed to have noticed nothing at all, he actually slightly sighed in his heart.

Sangsang suddenly emerged from her daze with an "Ah!" and said in a flurry, "I will pour tea for the guests."

She bowed to the others, took her bowl from the table, snatched the other one from Chen Pipi, who was also in a state of shock, and hurriedly went into the backyard.

Ning Que was surprised when seeing her little figure vanish behind the curtain. "Although she is as busy as before, after such a long time of not seeing each other, why didn't she come to hug me?"

To all the chingus who were a bit upset and restless towards NQ and MSS flirting and interaction in the drama, this is for you. I hope it will help settles some of your worries.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pad-hari said:

The fight between SS and NQ looks intense.  I didn't have a chance to see the full, but he is even manhandling her by hitting her in the forehead and pulling her soft ears so strongly.  Now, I hate NQ.  Here's the video. Her father is calling her yuer, what is her birth name?  The parents of SS seems to me so sweet and naive.

55 minutes ago, rhaps said:

That's why I said that the drama made him too rude to SS. I dont remember him doing something like that in the novel. All I can remember is :

Reveal hidden contents

He raised his hand, but he didnt do anything and stopped himself. He thought of hitting her like when she was 4 yrs old, but he didnt do it too. 

His words were indeed harsh, but SS faced him calmly and stubbornly, so he couldnt do anything. And the parents looked at them with amazed, because they were indeed fighting, but, strangely, they looked 'intimate' and close

Please CMIIW. From the preview, I dont see how that scene reflect the one in the novel

After that clip I have to say I do not understand what this drama is doing with the NQ/SS relationship at all. This big strong guy hitting and pulling the ears of this tiny girl? Is this supposed to be funny or something?  If I were Sang Sang's parents I'd be about to fight him and kick him out of my house.  He is treating her so badly :angry:  Meanwhile the goodbye clip with MSS is all heartbreaking music and slow motion.  WTF is this?!

@rhaps You are right!  I just read the scene in the novel and he definitely doesn't hit her and even thinks about how he hasn't been able to physically discipline her since she was 4 years old.  Like you said SS is very cool and calm in the novel but I can give Drama Sang Sang a pass for shouting because DramaNing Que is so much more of a jerk than Novel NQ so I don't blame her for blowing up at him.

48 minutes ago, penelop3 said:

Reveal hidden contents

37 minutes ago, celebrianna said:

@penelop3, I finished watching through episodes 36 tonight and I must say I agree with your conclusion about the drama presented more like a story of NQ, his cultivation, and his romantic interests. While I have not read the novel, I have read plenty of the spoilers you guys posted here and I’m disappointed with some of the changes especially with the way they had SS mentioning her master in almost every scene she had while he was away in the wilderness. The disparity in her reflections on NQ compared to his reflections on her while in the wilderness is very wide. I was also disappointed because here I was thinking that I’d actually see more of WGM teaching SS and her development as his student but hardly anything happened before he departed. Maybe I was expecting too much. 

Agree with you both.  In the parts of the novel I have read as @penelop3 said the core of the story is NQ-SS but the drama has made the story all about NQ and diminished SS role so she's like just another supporting character in his life.  The thing that surprises me the most is that the director and screenwriter are both women. I would have thought in their hands a intelligent, interesting, unique atypical female protagonist like Sang Sang would have been safe and given her fair share of story and screen time but I guess I assumed wrong:(

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, raziela said:

After that clip I have to say I do not understand what this drama is doing with the NQ/SS relationship at all. This big strong guy hitting and pulling the ears of this tiny girl? Is this supposed to be funny or something?  If I were Sang Sang's parents I'd be about to fight him and kick him out of my house.  He is treating her so badly :angry:  Meanwhile the goodbye clip with MSS is all heartbreaking music and slow motion.  WTF is this?!

@rhaps You are right!  I just read the scene in the novel and he definitely doesn't hit her and even thinks about how he hasn't been able to physically discipline her since she was 4 years old.  Like you said SS is very cool and calm in the novel but I can give Drama Sang Sang a pass for shouting because DramaNing Que is so much more of a jerk than Novel NQ so I don't blame her for blowing up at him.

Agree with you both.  In the parts of the novel I have read as @penelop3 said the core of the story is NQ-SS but the drama has made the story all about NQ and diminished SS role so she's like just another supporting character in his life.  The thing that surprises me the most is that the director and screenwriter are both women. I would have thought in their hands a intelligent, interesting, unique atypical female protagonist like Sang Sang would have been safe and given her fair share of story and screen time but I guess I assumed wrong:(

I believe SS fair share with the role will come in Season 2. Because even in the Novel, SangSang's character has not been develop that much not until chapter 600+ after the wilderness chapter. Her character was just given a scene here and there and sometimes in NQ's thought of her for the first 500+ chapter. So mainly, Season one is focused on NQ development. If they are going to Develop both character together at the same time, then there's no point of having Season 2 because by then, they have no story to tell anymore.

• Like 3

Just out of curiosity I wonder amongst the fans watching inside China if there's a stronger SS/NQ or MSS/NQ ship :huh:. I read some of their live comments posted on some of the videos and I see some people keep saying SS should only be a little sister cos of her age. But she really is only about 4-5years younger than NQ? It's not strange to have that age gap especially back in the ancient times. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, thartie said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Mo Shanshan silently stood beside Ning Que, but withdrew a little bit.

She was somewhat happy, eager, and uneasy when invited by the Eldest Brother of the Academy to visit Chang'an. But one could not find such emotions on her peaceful and indifferent face. She knew why she was uneasy. Sometimes, she even wondered if her expectation of being in Chang'an was actually her expectation about Ning Que, or his little handmaiden.

Following Ning Que, she entered the Old Brush Pen Shop and saw the little handmaiden eating noodles on the wooden bench. The first time that she saw her, she knew that this was the person she had wanted to see. That little handmaiden was Sangsang.

The Sangsang that appeared at the very beginning of the Chicken Soup Calligraphy.

The Sangsang that Ning Que always mentioned.

During the summer nights, Mo Shanshan had scanned over the Chicken Soup Calligraphy beside the Ink Lake numerous times, so she was clearer than others, even Ning Que, about what absolute trust and intimacy were hidden in those disordered strokes of that handmaiden's name. So, she had been wondering what kind of handmaiden Sangsang was.

In the grassland palace, she said that she liked the Big Black Horse of Ning Que. In the Snow Fields, she said that she liked the calligraphy of Ning Que. And finally, when she was almost dying at the Front Gate of the Devil's Doctrine, she calmly said what she liked was not only the horse and the calligraphy, but also Ning Que.

At that time, she thought that she would die, so she just followed her heart to say so. Yet, she did not die in the end, and what she had said could not be withdrawn now. So, she was convinced that she really liked Ning Que, and was even more eager to see Sangsang.

But she felt a bit surprised when she actually saw Sangsang today. Because the girl was not the usual beautiful handmaiden that one would often see on the streets, but just a darkish, thin, and ordinary girl. She had not totally grown up because of her young age. In addition, when she held onto the big bowl and smiled with noodles hanging from her mouth, no one could have any other feeling than pity for her.

Facing such a little handmaiden, Mo Shanshan felt that her previous assumption and even her uneasiness before arriving in Chang'an had gone to extremes. So, she felt a bit ashamed and silently lowered her head after blankly looking at Sangsang for some time. She was now looking at the tip of her shoes and did not say anything else.

It looked a bit ridiculous seeing both Sangsang and Shanshan looking at the tip of their shoes, and the Old Brush Pen Shop was shrouded in a strange atmosphere.

Ning Que was immersed in the happiness of seeing Sangsang again, so he did not even notice it. As for the Eldest Brother, although he appeared to look up and down at the displays in the shop and seemed to have noticed nothing at all, he actually slightly sighed in his heart.

Sangsang suddenly emerged from her daze with an "Ah!" and said in a flurry, "I will pour tea for the guests."

She bowed to the others, took her bowl from the table, snatched the other one from Chen Pipi, who was also in a state of shock, and hurriedly went into the backyard.

Ning Que was surprised when seeing her little figure vanish behind the curtain. "Although she is as busy as before, after such a long time of not seeing each other, why didn't she come to hug me?"

To all the chingus who were a bit upset and restless towards NQ and MSS flirting and interaction in the drama, this is for you. I hope it will help settles some of your worries.

Thanks for the excerpts from the book  to ease the suffering of the drama ^_^

4 minutes ago, ningsangcpp said:

Just out of curiosity I wonder amongst the fans watching inside China if there's a stronger SS/NQ or MSS/NQ ship :huh:. I read some of their live comments posted on some of the videos and I see some people keep saying SS should only be a little sister cos of her age. But she really is only about 4-5years younger than NQ? It's not strange to have that age gap especially back in the ancient times. 

I think it might depend on whether they have read the novel too.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, raziela said:

Thanks for the excerpts from the book  to ease the suffering of the drama ^_^

You're welcome. I know how hard it is. I have been there. :):) I suffered a lot because if EN. Lol Imagine, I did not go shopping for 2 weeks! I ignored my friends and drifted away to my small world of wuxia. I carried my Amazon fire everyday so I can read in between break from work. I got broke because I spent a lot of money in Starbucks just so I can sit in the corner and be drown to my reading. Lol! 

• LOL 3

36 minutes ago, ningsangcpp said:

I never got the notion that NQ/SS view eachother as siblings. They may have a close familial bond but not to the point of being bro/sis. I dont think there's anything wrong w/ the age gap. Heck, NQ's maturity level is pretty much the same wave/length as SS, even though he's older than her. I'd choose NQ/SS, even if I had not known about the end/outcome.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, greenwatch08 said:

Judging from preview clips, NQ seems like he's really genuinely likes/interested in MSS.

Also, I've never seen NQ have such an outburst/anger before(even w/his enemies), & seeing him man-handling SS is offputting. 

Yeah. He likes MSS because they can get along with cultivation and Calligraphy which they both love doing. But aside from that, they can't find any connection at all and sometimes they just both fell silent because there's nothing to talk about. At least that's what I read from the novel. 

• Like 4

Ah, now I remember, wasn't there a bts video where the director ask NQ to beat her with a stick below her butt??? Isn't it too much??  I think SS was in this pink dress in that bts scene.  So, will he be beating her in the drama? :cry:.  Then can we blame the director or the screenwriter for this exaggerated scenes???:scream:

And indeed NQ looks sad bidding goodbye to MSS in that video.  In later chapters also, NQ seems to have some regret abt MSS and SS also tell him that he seem to regret abt it.  

• Sad 2

5 minutes ago, greenwatch08 said:

I never got the notion that NQ/SS view eachother as siblings. They may have a close familial bond but not to the point of being bro/sis. I dont think there's anything wrong w/ the age gap. Heck, NQ's maturity level is pretty much the same wave/length as SS, even though he's older than her. I'd choose NQ/SS, even if I had not know about the end/outcome.

I feel the same way! I actually was so addicted to ningsang in the drama from the first few eps that I started reading the translated novel. I've never gotten a sibling vibe, only such a close loving bond between them. And I loved the way NQ looks at SS. :wub:if he could he would shoot hearts from his eyes towards her hahaha. I also seen some comments of criticism that Songyiren is too ugly to play SS. But I honestly think she is so cute and pretty she glows. And it's so refreshing to have a main female lead that isn't your typical type of beauty. 

• Like 4