[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Ever Night 将夜

tothestars

27 minutes ago, rhaps said:

@raziela, that's what I've been trying to say *SIGH* . They really overdid the romance in a WRONG way. The purpose of MSS's appearence is to make NQ-SS realize their own feelings and move on to the next 'stage' , not to create different ships. Even more, it is not supposed to weaken NQ-SS's relationship. It should make it stronger instead.

That's a bit unfortunate. 

I read somewhere it took 2 years for the screenwriter to finish the script for the drama. So w/ 2 years, you'd think they understand the nuances/point of the material they are reading. I suppose it's not in this case, judging from webnovel spoilers here.

There's even a social media poll setup between MSS vs. SS when there shouldn't be a competition. But I suppose people are into these kinds of things.

• Like 5

I feel like if the drama was going to create such a relationship between NQ and MSS it would only be fair if they also let SS explore a relationship with another male second lead too (not 3rd prince or LQ cos they don't actually care about her) but one that actually loves and cares about her. 

It's unfair that SS only sees NQ in her eyes yet NQ is surrounded by heaps of women and flirts with all of them. 

Feeling so heartbroken for SS :tears:

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, rhaps said:

I actually feel that the poll is unnecessary :P . The novel is already completed anyway, and the OTP was already decided since a long time ago. Polls like that just initiate a fan war, IMHO :P

Having no prior knowledge about the webnovel when I started watching EN, I didnt know that NQ/SS were actually a pair. My initial thought was Yu'er is NQ's love interest. After 4 episodes in, she definitely was not.

I really liked NQ/SS together because of their interactions/close bond. CFY and SY has great onscreen chemistry. Then I found out that NQ/SS was a pair(based on spoilers) and I was stoked. But I figured that MSS was his first interest due to the trailer, so I wanted to see how this romance would pan out through the drama series. 

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, ningsangcpp said:

I feel like if the drama was going to create such a relationship between NQ and MSS it would only be fair if they also let SS explore a relationship with another male second lead too (not 3rd prince or LQ cos they don't actually care about her) but one that actually loves and cares about her. 

It's unfair that SS only sees NQ in her eyes yet NQ is surrounded by heaps of women and flirts with all of them. 

I agree. SS deserves a first who appreciates & treats her with the upmost care/attention & respect.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, greenwatch08 said:

love SS. She's my favorite character. Im not too familiar w/ the novel but it's really nice if the drama included more intricate details from the webnovel onscreen. I never understood why NQ addresses SS as his handmaiden so thank you for the clarification.  

I try not to compare the drama w/ the webnovel since they both can be seen as two seperate medium/approach to storytelling. Ill wait to see how the drama plays out 'till the end. Although all my judgement will be based on the drama alone, since I have not read it.

You're welcome :) I was also curious after reading fan posts about their relationship which is one of the reasons I started looking at the novel.  The fact that they omitted such simple and important information in the drama is just ridiculous IMO :wacko:

You are right that we should wait to see how it plays out and I do agree they are two different mediums'  Usually I wouldn't be so critical about differences but they seem to have missed some very important nuances that change the whole tone of the story. 

2 hours ago, greenwatch08 said:

I read somewhere it took 2 years for the screenwriter to finish the script for the drama. So w/ 2 years, you'd think they understand the nuances/point of the material they are reading. I suppose it's not in this case, judging from webnovel spoilers here.

I can understand why it took so long as the plot is very complex and there are so many characters and groups and in terms of the plot I think she has done a good job. At the same time she seems to have missed the mark with the depth of NQ and SS relationship which is very disappointing and does the characters and the story a disservice.

3 hours ago, rhaps said:

@raziela, that's what I've been trying to say *SIGH* . They really overdid the romance in a WRONG way. The purpose of MSS's appearence is to make NQ-SS realize their own feelings and move on to the next 'stage' , not to create different ships. Even more, it is not supposed to weaken NQ-SS's relationship. It should make it stronger instead.

Exactly. I am so confused by the way they have overdone the NQ-MSS relationship. to the point they have added extra romantic scenes and tropes that are not in the original novel.  What's the point? It adds nothing to the plot. Why spend so much time building up a NQ's little fling and making the actual OTP relationship look lacking in comparison rather than establishing the central relationship which is the foundation of NQ's character and the whole series?  It makes no sense!

Maybe I'll change my mind when I have watched the episodes but currently I feel the director and screenwriter do not really understand the NQ-SS relationship as written in the novel. I am very sceptical how they are going to turn things around in such a short time to make it believable that NQ is so devoted and in love with SS that he'll the fight the whole world. The funny thing is I would say for the first 20-something episodes they were doing a pretty good job with establishing the NQ-SS relationship even if they missed some important details but that's all gone out of the window in the subsequent episodes.

2 hours ago, ningsangcpp said:

I agree with this. I want to see SS be loved and appreciated as a woman by someone else.  They've changed the relationship between NQ and MSS for no good reason so I don't see why they can't do the same for SS with another character.  It would be a great piece of character growth for her AND Ning Que. 

Ning Que is all she's had her whole life so it would be good to expand her horizons to explore a relationship with someone who cares for and respects her.  I also feel like Drama NQ is such an insensitive donkey towards SS only getting jealous and seeing that she is desirable to someone else would change the way he looks at her (but by then it would be too late hahaha:naughty:  )  Go Sang Sang!  Forget NQ! Find a new hot guy, work on your powers and career. Make those taels girl (because money + Sang Sang is the true OTP!) :w00t: We support you!:w00t:

• Like 4
  • LOL 3

I wonder is everyone reading the nove. I feel that I have to become advocates on reading the novel. Chapter 354-372 was so hilarious , I couldn’t stop laughing at what I was reading. Now everyone, I know a lot of you are disappointed but I need to remind you that this development is so typical in any drama. Their need to be dramatic is to cause a Fan war just like @raziela said, so people can keep watching. I wonder do they do this from lack of confidence or belief the rating will go through the roof. What do you guys think???

In the chaotesyI mentioned there is a secret that will shock you. So please read it. This secret shocked me so badly and I was OMG!!! I wanted to share with you. I have no idea. 

I was so happy to find out 

Spoiler

That Ning Que never fights anyone from the Academy because they are his family. They love him and understands him best. I kinda suspected that there is a possibility that they might have the same inclining to killing people. Funniest thing I believe third sister, Second Brother and Eldes brother know Ning Que’s secret. 

P.S I have been absent here because I am hooked on the novel.

• Like 3

Just saw episodes 33 + 34:

Spoiler

It was good to see another excellent fighting scene! Been missing NQ in action! Pacing has been a bit slow Re SS’s development with her Shifu and for me I look forward to these scenes the most although still following the main plot line with NQ. The palace stuff between Empress vs Princess is also intriguing because I think it will threaten the Tang kingdom from the inside. The Princess is frustratingly blind and like the Empress said, “trying to be smart” but I think trying to get revenge etc. The idiot prince isn’t fit to rule. How many episodes of this wilderness arc? Up to 40? 45? 

Edited by stella77
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, raziela said:

Thanks for finding the SS Jun Mo BTS video!

My understanding NQ only has SS registered as a handmaiden in the census so she can legally live with him as otherwise it is unacceptable as they are not related.  Basically until they go to Chang An city their relationship is equal but in the drma they have SS calling NQ "young master" from the beginning as if she has always  has.  Also it's never clearly explained in the drama the reason NQ has SS working so hard doing exhausting chores all the time is for her health as due to her Cold Disease she needs to exercise as much as possible to keep her circulation going and to try and sweat out the toxins in her body.  The drama doesn't make either of these things clear so it seems like NQ and SS just have a very close young master and handmaiden from the beginning.

These little excerpts are exactly the kind of thing that are missing from the drama to give an understanding of the hardships they went through together.  Like SS and NQ were literally starving at times.  The novel explains one of the reasons she is so small and weak is due to malnourishment as a baby.  They are so poor that the only toy NQ can afford for her is made from twigs :tears: I mean this imagery is absolutely heartbreaking and gives you real sense of their suffering and how far they have come in life.

Yep!  that's my number one ship:  SS + happiness :heart: I could watch a whole drama just about Sang Sang.

The MoSang ship continues to rise :lol:

I LOVE these scenes in the novel.  You can really feel his quiet panic and desperation after not even one day without SS.

This is hilarious!  Thank you so much for sharing :lol::lol::lol:

Thanks so much for translating @ningsangcpp You tell him, Sang Sang girl!:angry:

I love your a fangirl of SS too. SS is too precious.  I don't need her to have a love interest but it would be gratifying to have someone good looking and worthwhile show romantic interest in her especially when NQ basically has a harem of remarkable women all fawning over him.

I totally agree with your comments @rhaps, @UnniSarah @lynne22. Now I'm reading the novel (not going to lie I'm mainly just reading the NingSang scenes:sweatingbullets:) it has definitely given me a worse perspective on the drama portrayal of their relationship.  I think the drama has done very well on a number of other aspects of the plot but I do not understand why they have changed NQ and SS relationship dynamics so much or played up the NQ-MSS relationship to the extent they have. 

It has weakened the NQ-SS relationship considerably and NQ comes across in the later episodes as insensitive and very unkind towards SS.  I adore Song Yi Ren as SS but they have also weakened SS character a lot.  In the novel I never truly believe they are young master and maid and SS is basically a little boss with a quiet strength and dignity but the drama writing makes SS more weak and pitiful and as if NQ really does think of her as just his little servant at times.  I understand things have to change in the drama but the dynamics of NQ/SS relationship are so specific and important to their character growth and so well-written in the novel.  The drama changes add nothing and are actually detrimental to both the characters, the foundation of their relationship and the plot! :angry:

P.S. Sorry for the length of my post

The reason why I skipped the drama and just went ahead read the novel. Because in drama, they always ruined it. 

• LOL 2

1 hour ago, angelangie said:

im back :D my friend is off back to her city.....

and im here for the night then tomorrow another busy day for me... :P 

why u dont want me? :( 

Welcome back @angelangie.... Ofcourse I want you back. Glad to see you and love your comments and contributions to the thread. :heart::heart:

32 minutes ago, angelangie said:

usually when i want more NingSang and better NingSang interaction....i revert to the books....and if i want to see the longing in NingQue eyes for SangSang i will revert to the drama....

somehow even as i read the books....Song YiRen and Chen FeiYu images kinda stuck......

I know. I imagine their images as I read the novel. Hahahha. 

@angelangie did your friend came in? Hahaha, I wanted to call out today so I can focus on this forum and reread the novel but I'm stucked in the training room to finish my 8hrs of computer training for Special Service Desk for Customers Service. Sad sad sad and bored. 

• LOL 1

15 minutes ago, angelangie said:

yea she did.... :) we have fun......catching up lols :) 

what service lines are you in? lols sounds fun **ahem**

That's good to hear. I thought you will not be back until Monday. But I'm so happy that you were not out for that long though. Hahahha. 

I'm in Retail and also Food Industry. I worked 2 jobs..:) 

• Like 1

I just did a very useless thing, since i dont really like reading book on gadget, my eyes start to get itchy when i use gadget after hours, so i planned to print in into paper, i just copied a few chapters from Ever Night novel into MS Word, and it almost got hundred pages LOL. Maybe i have to reduce the font size or something.

I cant stop laughing when i read how NQ using money as one of reason to get SS back to home with him LOL.

• LOL 6

7 hours ago, greenwatch08 said:

I agree. SS deserves a first who appreciates & treats her with the upmost care/attention & respect.

Why are people saying this when Ning Que does treat her like that?

Hes someone who will die for her and die with her protect her vs the world , he saved her..

6 hours ago, raziela said:

I dont think its that confusing?

This is the show that is the book the show would go into the romance into more depth than on screen . 

4 hours ago, UnniSarah said:

I wonder is everyone reading the nove. I feel that I have to become advocates on reading the novel. Chapter 354-372 was so hilarious , I couldn’t stop laughing at what I was reading. Now everyone, I know a lot of you are disappointed but I need to remind you that this development is so typical in any drama. Their need to be dramatic is to cause a Fan war just like @raziela said, so people can keep watching. I wonder do they do this from lack of confidence or belief the rating will go through the roof. What do you guys think???

In the chaotesyI mentioned there is a secret that will shock you. So please read it. This secret shocked me so badly and I was OMG!!! I wanted to share with you. I have no idea. 

I was so happy to find out 

Reveal hidden contents

That Ning Que never fights anyone from the Academy because they are his family. They love him and understands him best. I kinda suspected that there is a possibility that they might have the same inclining to killing people. Funniest thing I believe third sister, Second Brother and Eldes brother know Ning Que’s secret. 

P.S I have been absent here because I am hooked on the novel.

I hate reading of stuff i already know about sadly.

3 hours ago, angelangie said:

a short BT clips on NingSang :) 

Omg i love them.. s2 will be so hard ahhhhhhh.

2 hours ago, rhaps said:

If they spent that much time to make a script, then they should have understood how NQ-SS's relationship should be, how much he cared about her and vice versa. I agree that the recent development makes the actual OTP relationship look lacking in comparison, rather than establishing the central relationship which is the foundation of NQ's character and the whole series. It does nothing good in that term. The only thing that it does well is making NQ looking like rude and doesnt care about SS as much as he did. 

I hope this doesnt take too long and is solved next week. Otherwise, I'll have to do a lot of fast forward, something that I rarely done since I watched EN for the 1st time

Do you really think he doesnt care about her when hes always thinking of SS and talking about her even with MSS? 

If people really think hes rude and doesnt care about SS i cant help but face palm.

2 hours ago, rhaps said:

BTS..has this been posted here? One of my fave scenes :P

https://twitter.com/sachinian09/status/1069090509669322752?s=20

Sorry..how do you embed it to the post, instead of in the form of an url?

so damn cutee.

1 hour ago, stella77 said:

Just saw episodes 33 + 34:

Hide contents

It was good to see another excellent fighting scene! Been missing NQ in action! Pacing has been a bit slow Re SS’s development with her Shifu and for me I look forward to these scenes the most although still following the main plot line with NQ. The palace stuff between Empress vs Princess is also intriguing because I think it will threaten the Tang kingdom from the inside. The Princess is frustratingly blind and like the Empress said, “trying to be smart” but I think trying to get revenge etc. The idiot prince isn’t fit to rule. How many episodes of this wilderness arc? Up to 40? 45? 

Yeah why doesnt she rule over him? She could make her son the leader and basically rule the Kingdom.

1 hour ago, thartie said:

The reason why I skipped the drama and just went ahead read the novel. Because in drama, they always ruined it. 

Ruined it? Because they decided to keep to the book 95% of the time instead of 100%?

They barely changed anything. 

1 hour ago, rhaps said:

I've watched that too. I dont think it will really happen in epi 49, wont it? Last time, trailer no 41-42 happened in epi 37. So, I'm guessing that trailer 49 will happen in epi 45 ..this Thursday. 

I actually hope that this arc wont be too long, so that we can move on to another topic :

Hide contents

General Xia Hou. 

He-NQ finally met in epi 42. 

Thank youuu

I've been expecting them to talk about it at that scene, because those lines were narrated in the novel. They turned them into NQ saying it out loud, thankfully

Me too, now..and so do other characters. That's why I've stopped reading the novel at around chapter 600

So they didnt ruin the book? did something right ;o

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Wotad said:

Hes someone who will die for her and die with her protect her vs the world , he saved her..

This is the show that is the book the show would go into the romance into more depth than on screen . 

Do you really think he doesnt care about her when hes always thinking of SS and talking about her even with MSS? 

If people really think hes rude and doesnt care about SS i cant help but face palm.

so damn cutee.

Yeah why doesnt she rule over him? She could make her son the leader and basically rule the Kingdom.

Ruined it? Because they decided to keep to the book 95% of the time instead of 100%?

@Wotad whoa! Hahaha. Yeah, I stand corrected. But those small changes that they will add or take out can cause something to the drama. Well, anyways, you must be an avid followers to both so I will trust your words. If you will say it's 95% accurate then be it. We are not a haters or something. We just wanted to laid our thoughts and opinions in the open so someone like you can correct us and give us a better understanding on the show. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, thartie said:

@Wotad whoa! Hahaha. Yeah, I stand corrected. But those small changes that they will add or take out can cause something to the drama. Well, anyways, you must be an avid followers to both so I will trust your words. If you will say it's 95% accurate then be it. We are not a haters or something. We just wanted to laid our thoughts and opinions in the open so someone like you can correct us and give us a better understanding on the show. 

I have not read the book so maybe i know nothing but from people here its a really close adaption and have not changed much. 

So maybe i need to be corrected as well , as long as this NQ and MSS flirting or w/e does not last long it should not be a issue.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Wotad said:

I have not read the book so maybe i know nothing but from people here its a really close adaption and have not changed much. 

So maybe i need to be corrected as well , as long as this NQ and MSS flirting or w/e does not last long it should not be a issue.

I know, right! At least this scene with them will have a huge impact with NQ realization of his own feelings for SS. And also, we all know how he is willing to die for SS for MSS and their flirting will not really matter. It's just a little spice added to the food. Lol

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Wotad said:

so damn cutee.

I know NQ would do anything for SS. My comment was referring to SS having a first experience at love w/someone how NQ is w/MSS. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, angelangie said:

usually when i want more NingSang and better NingSang interaction....i revert to the books....and if i want to see the longing in NingQue eyes for SangSang i will revert to the drama....

somehow even as i read the books....Song YiRen and Chen FeiYu images kinda stuck......

OMG!!! As I read the novel their image is in my mind. They are the characters and no one can replace them.  When am actor or actress plays a role and it fits them perfectly, the drama or movie can’t receive the same kind of appreciation or acknowledgement because they once who started the role should be the one who end it. Just my opinion. :bawling::bawling: 

@angelangie..:: Thanks for the translation. Now if that were the word he used, Why did MSS still think she had a chance??? Now I understand why some fans pity her.

• Like 2