[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Ever Night 将夜

tothestars

I want to know what's the deal with everyone hating on the Demon sect folks, beside worshipping Hades(being darkness of the world)/cultivating differently? 

From what Ive seen so far, they dont seem like a bad group of people, just people living like every else.  Are they allowed to enter other territory without punishment? They seem to get killed everytime onscreen. 

Also, isn't LQ a prisoner of war(replacement for his brother). He seems to go about casually doing whatever he pleases. Is he allowed to venture in/out of the Tang empire whenever he wants? Im suprise there arent any Tang Guards stationed to oversee/watch LQ just in case he decides to ploy a coup. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, rhaps said:

@raziela, I edited my post above. That's my prediction

Sorry, I posted after you edited.  I just saw your prediction and you are right.  I am currently watching episode 28 and Chen Pi Pi says to NQ he is a genius for reaching the "No Doubt Level" at 20 years old and we know the events that destroyed NQ's family and Sang Sang's birth happened 15 years ago.  Therefore NQ and SS should be 20 and 15 respectively.

• Like 4

I'm follower 21 so that means I'm legal.  :glasses: I'm cool like SS (because of her cold illness...)

SS was 12yrs when they left City of Wei. NQ was 16yrs so they are 4yrs apart. It was already a 2.5yrs stayed in Chang'an before he left to the wilderness.  He stay outside for 6months. . SS was 15th when they had the marriage argument at her parent's house. She said she will turn 16th the following year which is a good age for marriage.  Yeah so they should be 4yrs apart.

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

38 minutes ago, rhaps said:

Is that so?

Because I just saw epi 29 and he(NQ) said that he is 18 :huh: ..(I forgot about epi 28, though). I tend to think that he is 18 (going on 19) and SS is 13(going on 14) , and he is 20 while SS is 15 after he got back from the wilderness. 

And I think epi 30 mentioned that they have left the Wei City for more or less 2 years (I forgot the detail, though). If NQ was 16-17 yrs old in the beginning and SS was 11 yrs old, then it all fits.

Maybe the subs are wrong?  I'm not as far as you as I'm watching on viki.  The subtitles have had their share of errors but I didn't think  they would get ages wrong too! It's at at 06:54 of episode 28 Chen Pipi says to NQ :"You advanced into the Realm of the No Doubt Level at the age of twenty years".

Also I didn't realise he leaves SS on her own for a whole year?  Wow!  Poor Sang Sang. I thought it was a few months. And then he comes back with a new chick as a potential mistress for her and thinks SS just going to make some noodles and just smile and be fine with it. Men! :rolleyes: 

1 hour ago, greenwatch08 said:

I want to know what's the deal with everyone hating on the Demon sect folks, beside worshipping Hades(being darkness of the world)/cultivating differently? 

From what Ive seen so far, they dont seem like a bad group of people, just people living like every else.  Are they allowed to enter other territory without punishment? They seem to get killed everytime onscreen. 

I wish I could answer with some super intelligent and in-depth answe...but truth be told as much as I'm enjoying the drama I am still confused by the many different factions and religions, who is who, who is good or bad and why they hate each other :sweatingbullets:

Also, isn't LQ a prisoner of war(replacement for his brother). He seems to go about casually doing whatever he pleases. Is he allowed to venture in/out of the Tang empire whenever he wants? Im suprise there arent any Tang Guards stationed to oversee/watch LQ just in case he decides to ploy a coup. 

LMAO:lol::lol: I was wondering the same thing myself.  The older brother is back home and LQ just goes out and about and in and out of the city doing whatever he wants whilst cursing the whole Tang Empire out loud the whole time.  Neither brother even seems to in the city anymore! So what kind of political hostage situation is this exactly?  :lol:

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, raziela said:

Maybe the subs are wrong?  I'm not as far as you as I'm watching on viki.  The subtitles have had their share of errors but I didn't think  they would get ages wrong too! It's at at 06:54 of episode 28 Chen Pipi says to NQ :"You advanced into the Realm of the No Doubt Level at the age of twenty years".

Also I didn't realise he leaves SS on her own for a whole year?  Wow!  Poor Sang Sang. I thought it was a few months. And then he comes back with a new chick as a potential mistress for her and thinks SS just going to make some noodles and just smile and be fine with it. Men! :rolleyes: 

I wish I could answer with some super intelligent and in-depth answer but truth be told as much as I'm enjoying the drama I am still confused by the various factions and who's who and who is good or bad and why they hate each other :ph34r:

LMAO:lol::lol: I was wondering the same thing myself.  The older brother is back home and LQ just goes out and about and in and out of the city doing whatever he wants whilst cursing the whole Tang Empire out loud the whole time.  Neither brother even seems to in the city anymore! So what kind of political hostage situation is this exactly?  :lol:

Ive been thinking about this since the earlier episodes with LQ's brother CM. CM literally created a cult and I thought it was rather odd that no state officials from Tang monitored his whereabouts(ex: secluded/secret warehouse w/followers).

Judging from preview clips, the Fullmoon state & Demon sect will be properly introduced in later episodes in the upcoming arc, so Im excited to see what they are all about. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

I see that NQ & SS have to part in the upcoming arc of the drama. In the webnovel, how long were they apart. Thinking about those two not seeing each other for a while is disheartening.  

This i had written a detailed post of how long they were apart in Page 48.  Ch.205 NQ met MSS and Ch.341 he returns back to old brush pen shop.  But thank god SS met WGM who was protecting her when she was alone and also chose her as the lady of light by him to practiced under him.  By the time he returned she was well versed with powers of divine light.  

Also

Spoiler

Indeed NQ also took SS to fight/kill XY.  She was the one who used her full energy to emit light during the night to help fight/kill XY.  Every body from academy esp. the eldest and second brother and even Ye Hongyu was surprised when she emitted a powerful light to assist NQ in the process of killing XY.  This was also one of the powerful fight scenes.  Hope the production does not disappoint as they did for the Wilderness one wasting the time on royal arc.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, pad-hari said:

This i had written a detailed post of how long they were apart in Page 48.  Ch.205 NQ met MSS and Ch.341 he returns back to old brush pen shop.  But thank god SS met WGM who was protecting her when she was alone and also chose her as the lady of light by him to practiced under him.  By the time he returned she was well versed with powers of divine light.  

Also

Reveal hidden contents

Indeed NQ also took SS to fight/kill XY.  She was the one who used her full energy to emit light during the night to help fight/kill XY.  Every body from academy esp. the eldest and second brother and even Ye Hongyu was surprised when she emitted a powerful light to assist NQ in the process of killing XY.  This was also one of the powerful fight scenes.  Hope the production does not disappoint as they did for the Wilderness one wasting the time on royal arc.

Alright. Thank you.

In the webnovel(not the drama), was there a length in time NQ was away from SS(in terms of days/weeks/months)?

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, angelangie said:

it a natural assumption that anything associate with the 'dark' is evil and bad, however if you look at a neutral perceptive....its just their belief....

however there is a 'but' u see they call them the 'dark arts' because the way of the practice that went bad that sometimes border lines in human sacrifice or the sacrifice of another being for them to reach another level.....no matter how much you hunger for power or how much you wish to be stronger, sacrificing another just for you own gain already fall under the bracket of 'cruelty'

i need to read further on their cultivating method to give you another input but currently that how ppl see the 'dark' or mostly how it was seen to be..... :P 

yes it fits as i remember clearly when i was reading the novel that they had mention NQ looks like a 15 or 16 years old boy and SS was only 11 then....i remember it clearly as i was remembering how Song YiRen fit the bill despite being a 2x woman in real life....

Ok that makes a bit more sense, dark = bad. Although I dont think it warrants for demon sect/civillians minding their business getting chopped down by foreign powers/authority, specifically on their territory(but ey politics, right). 

I could never figure out how the Demon sect folks cultivate the nascent energy. Hopefully it shows in the upcoming arc. I forgot that the Demon Sect incorporate human sacrifice in their beliefs from earlier episodes(ex:the princess).

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, rhaps said:

Finally, I checked the novel *LOL - why do I even bother..* 

1. after they go to their wilderness, NQ's friend said,"We've been stationed here for more than a month ..." (Chapter 197)

2. the time duration between NQ using a different name until he arrived back to Chang An : 6 months (chapter 341)

So, assuming that they need time to travel from Chang An to the wilderness, plus the length of time between no 1-2 (if any), NQ leaves SS for less than a year *LOL*

And the part in the novel that stated that NQ was 18 yrs old (chapter 186) was the same as the drama (epi 29). But, the novel also said that SS was 14 yrs old . So, if NQ leaves for less than a year, yeah ..SS could be 15 yrs old when he gets back

So..NQ found baby SS when he was 4 or 4.5 yrs old? *LOL*. .I honestly skipped the first parts of the novel

Wow. That is indeed quite a long time. Poor SS.

In the drama, hopefully she will be able to get by when NQ is away, plus WGM will accompany her, so that's good.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, rhaps said:

Regarding the Demon Sect, I only remember that their method of cultivation is against the 'nature', that is by forcing the power into your body. The result is stronger/bigger power, but could endanger yourself if you are not strong enough to hold it. 

I remember CPP telling NQ(during the library/study hall) when he couldnt open up his acupoints.

So by going against 'nature', does it mean one could still be able to cultivate even without opening up the acupoints since it's forced, resulting in larger quanities of nascent energy to be stored/transferred throughout the body, but w/damaging after-effects depending on the user's mental/physical state?

• Like 2

Oh thanks everyone for looking up the ages. I know the novel had clearly listed the age but I was confused by the drama because as friends have pointed out, the drama reference two ages in recent episodes (probably due to bad translations) and yes, the little boy NQ in the drama was probably older than the book etc. 

My inner philosophy geek is so happy! Re Taoism/Daoism philosopy - in essence - it's not about good vs evil but the interdependence of all duality -- basically when there is good, there is automatically evil that comes with it. So they are interdependent and it's not good vs. evil (where it should be one over the other etc.) I really enjoy how this story conveys this point. 

• Like 3

@greenwatch08, oh sorry i took long to see your query on the period of separation between NQ and SS.  But thanks to @rhaps, its been explained clearly and also thanks on clearing about the ages of NQ and SS.  As @angelangie mentioned, "curiosity kills the cat" I also was not so patient to read all the chapters initially and started reading randomly, but anyhow when i had to connect the later parts with some situation, i will start reading the initial chapters :rolleyes:

later in the novel

Spoiler

The sister of the devil sect head Tang Xiotang, one with the cute doggie will be accepted in the academy as third sister's disciple.  Even though master Fuzi will not accept her as his student, he will see how determined she is and allow her to stay in the academy.  

And also NQ will join the devil sect secretly later.  

Yes, nowi get a clear picture about devil sect.  Thank you for the explanation.

Now we talk about taoism/daoism and devil sect, later at the end of the novel we will go into buddhism also.  Ok, then what are haotian, hades and what is that WGM is practising?  is WGM also in taoism?:crazy:  What is exactly tang academy into?  What is teacher Yan se into?  We say he is a talisman expert. Usually i have seen talismans written in red chinese letter on yellow paper, they do some praying and use it.  Does it also come under any of these practices or it is entirely different?

The only thing common is cultivation for all but they are done in different ways to gain/obtain power/energy. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, rhaps said:

Finally, I checked the novel *LOL - why do I even bother..* 

1. after they go to their wilderness, NQ's friend said,"We've been stationed here for more than a month ..." (Chapter 197)

2. the time duration between NQ using a different name until he arrived back to Chang An : 6 months (chapter 341)

So, assuming that they need time to travel from Chang An to the wilderness, plus the length of time between no 1-2 (if any), NQ leaves SS for less than a year *LOL*

And the part in the novel that stated that NQ was 18 yrs old (chapter 186) was the same as the drama (epi 29). But, the novel also said that SS was 14 yrs old . So, if NQ leaves for less than a year, yeah ..SS could be 15 yrs old when he gets back

So..NQ found baby SS when he was 4 or 4.5 yrs old? *LOL*. .I honestly skipped the first parts of the novel

Thanks. You are right again! Just started Ep. 29 and NQ said he is 18.  Your suggestion CPP meant something like before you were 20 making him a prodigy sounds correct.  I guess they just translated it wrongly?

Ok that makes a bit more sense, dark = bad. Although I dont think it warrants for demon sect/civillians minding their business getting chopped down by foreign powers/authority, specifically on their territory(but ey politics, right). 

I could never figure out how the Demon sect folks cultivate the nascent energy. Hopefully it shows in the upcoming arc. I forgot that the Demon Sect incorporate human sacrifice in their beliefs from earlier episodes(ex:the princess).

Definitely one of the things I like about this drama is it isn't black and white as the assumption would be the Light sect are all good and the Demon sect are all bad.  In fact, I'd say we've seen the Light side commit far more atrocities than the Demon sect so far.

2 hours ago, pad-hari said:

Also

Reveal hidden contents

Thanks for the summaries.  I'm so glad Sang Sang has WGM by her side and he trains her too.  Really looking forward to their scenes and our Sang Sang developing her powers..

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, raziela said:

Thanks. You are right again! Just started Ep. 29 and NQ said he is 18.  Your suggestion CPP meant something like before you were 20 making him a prodigy sounds correct.  I guess they just translated it wrongly?

Definitely one of the things I like about this drama is it isn't black and white as the assumption would be the Light sect are all good and the Demon sect are all bad.  In fact, I'd say we've seen the Light side commit far more atrocities than the Demon sect so far.

Thanks for the summaries.  I'm so glad Sang Sang has WGM by her side and he trains her too.  Really looking forward to their scenes and our Sang Sang developing her powers..

Yep. Xilings were presented as these upright/righteous people of light w/good intentions but w/wrong direction(WGM insights/killing at Lin Manor). Not to mention the difference in culture/beliefs/politics that coincides/clashes together in the story.

Its all about perspective. Not all good is good and what is deemed bad isnt all bad. There's a grey area for everything.  

• Like 5

11 hours ago, thartie said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Even though NQ find YH very pretty and captivating and always flirt with her, but he knew himself that he has no intention of touching her. Even MSS liked him soo much and she made his heart flatter and he likes her back too, but, he would rather hurt and reject her rather than seeing SS letting him go. When MSS where asking Master Q if there's an afterlife, thinking that maybe by then she can have NQ heart but unfortunately, NQ already hope in his heart that whatever happens to him and SS, and if there's an afterlife, he hoped that SS will just be step away from him so they can still be together. What a lovesick fool indeed as what Master Qingian said. 

Chingu, spoiler for you all. Indeed, NQ love for her cannot be measured by death. 

@thartie.... Thanks for spoiler I am so :wub::wub: , Sang Sang is a lucky lucky girl. Damn even I am jealou. Please send NQ my way. Lol lol :wub::heart:

• Like 1
  • LOL 4