[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Ever Night 将夜

tothestars

22 minutes ago, raziela said:

I always love your posts.  Agreeing with everything you have said here too.  I think you summed up my feelings with these words "they clearly have the ability to do so, they just won't do it for some reason."  That's what I keep coming back too.  Mao Ni gave them a fantastic blueprint in the original story.  I can accept dramas have to change things but I don't think it's acceptable when it changes the essence of the story in the way they chose to and I can't think of any logical reason why they made those choices.

There was a lot I loved about this drama: the great cast, the beautiful scenery, cinematography, sets, music, fights but in the end certain writing, directing and editorial decisions left me very disappointed and confused.  It's sad because the early episodes were wonderful but in the end this drama left me with a bitter taste in my mouth.  

I'm appreciating all these posts.  One of the reasons I haven't posted for a couple of days is because I've been trying process my feelings towards the drama and why I'm unhappy about it even though, objectively, I don't think it was a bad drama.  It's nice to see I'm not alone in my thoughts and feelings.

Yes, There's plenty of things to enjoy about EN. Great cinematography, epic music score, beautiful costumes

/settings, distinctive fight choreography. 

The drama would be flawless if it followed the webnovel. And from learning snippets about the book, everything seems to pan out perfectly how Id imagine it would be, for both NQ/SS.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, greenwatch08 said:

Even though I enjoy EN, the writing has been insufferable. SS really got the end of the stick & scrapped to the sideline as second fiddle as a character/romantic interest for NQ. I wanted her to have more agency in her own story arc & the drama hasnt deliver so far. Judging from preview clips, I dont think it will. She gets killed/dies for shock value at the last episode, when this season's conflict couldve been resolved easily earlier on if given the time/episodes to develop & give NQ/SS a more fullfilling ending together.

NQ as a character is mostly interesting when he's w/SS or interacting w/others. His character development is bare minimum & stagnant. NQ at ep. 40 is pretty much the same NQ from ep.1. The only difference is he gains new abilites but even w/his newfound powers, his growth is almost nonexistent. The drama doesnt showcase NQ studying/learning enough. At times, NQ comes off as rather dull. He's an alright character but has potential to grow, but its executed poorly in a way thats inorganic. 

MSS/NQ relationship definitely cheapened NQ/SS would be 'perfect' transition from childhood friends to lovers. The drama needed to give NQ/SS more in-depth interaction to develop their relationship that goes beyond master/handmaiden & domestic activities/running errands for the first half of the show as individuals/pair. I also dislike SS addressing NQ as master the entire show, even after NQ claims/announce her as his wife, she still calls him master? Its ridiculous. Theres no equalness between them & this makes NQ comes off as overbearing. 

The romance couldve been handled alot better but this issue has been mentioned on several occassions throughout the thread, so at this point, it is what it is.

Some of the characters needed more

development & better writing/

characterization & screentime.

(Ex: Fuzi literally does nothing for 40 episodes besides eating/relaxing on the side of the river & shows up briefly in dream sequences.)

Stuff happens too late & too abruptly. Pretty much my criticism of EN is the writing.

I agree with everything you said. Especially with the lack of individual character growth. I would have loved to see more important parts of the story that show us why the characters are the way they are. More scenes of SS with her teacher, cultivation etc. Mao Ni did an amazing job writing the characters and the screenwriter/director fell short from showing this onscreen. Part of me wishes they had different screenwriter/director for next season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, greenwatch08 said:

I havent been this bummed out over a female/favorite character since Ni Ni's character in Rise of the Phoenix. The writing did a huge disservice to her character in favor of the male lead. It was awful.

Same! They shortchanged Feng Zhi Wei in favour of making the drama about Sixth Prince's character<_<   

But at least she still got  consistent characterisation, screen time and there was no doubt who the heroine or OTP were in that drama which is more than can be said for our poor Sang Sang and NingSang pairing in Ever Night drama :P

1 hour ago, n3bula said:

NQ is definitely not my favorite character in the book. Hell, of any book of that matter. His ONLY redeeming quality is his love for SS. I can take him being shameless, but he is way too flirtatious and is tempted (you can argue even does tempt) with the other ladies. Please change this in the drama lol. You gave us unnecessary and nonexistent NQ&MSS/NQ&YHY arcs. Please give us a more loyal Ning Que! LOL  

You're right on point! As much as YHY is bad richard simmons everytime I saw her interaction with NQ I had to roll my eyes.. Was the same when it was NQ MSS it looks like NQ is in love with all these pretty women and with SS during later eps he's always got a pissed off looking face on like his mind wasn't really there? ?

• LOL 1

13 minutes ago, raziela said:

I felt the same way! They shortchanged Feng Zhi Wei in favour of Sixth Prince's character<_<   But at least she still got  consistent characterisation, screen time and there was no doubt who the heroine or OTP were in that drama which is more than can be said for our poor Sang Sang and NingSang pairing in Ever Night :P

I agree.

But the ending was so sad. I felt so sad for her. I read somewhere that the novel was more female centric through FZW's character's perspective & she was a more proactive agent in her revenge/story arc & didnt have such a unfortunate end, unlike the drama since she was placed in all those situation mostly due to the 6th prince's cunningness. She didnt get the revenge arc she derserved. 

Yes, I like that there was no muddled love triangle. 

• Like 1

I've seen a few posts on weibo(not sure if official accounts) but MSS will also still be played by the samg actress. In another video found on YouTube it initially said she would be replaced. Makes me kind of worried if some of your predictions were right about her having such a sweet/overly long story with NQ because she's a bigger star than SYR? and they might demand more screen time for her :crazy:

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, ningsangcpp said:

You're right on point! As much as YHY is bad richard simmons everytime I saw her interaction with NQ I had to roll my eyes.. Was the same when it was NQ MSS it looks like NQ is in love with all these pretty women and with SS during later eps he's always got a pissed off looking face on like his mind wasn't really there? ?

The scene were YHY met SS and NQ introduced her as lady of the house she looked upset. My thought was oh no here we go. She's in love with him too. Then when he fed her I just rolled my eyes. I thought isn't this girl supposed to be a bad richard simmons girl version of NQ? Guess not. 

I've avoided seeing MSS scenes. The flashes NQ had while reading her letter are enough for me to skip all their scenes. 

In what scenes did you get the feeling NQ had pissed off look while looking at SS? 

I think he had some cute looks for her after she came back and they were eating noodles together. Or when he was in the cave and they ate together. I'm beginning to think all eating scenes are cute lol. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ningsangcpp said:

I've seen a few posts on weibo(not sure if official accounts) but MSS will also still be played by the samg actress. In another video found on YouTube it initially said she would be replaced. Makes me kind of worried if some of your predictions were right about her having such a sweet/overly long story with NQ because she's a bigger star than SYR? and they might demand more screen time for her :crazy:

I heard rumors that Crystal would stay on as MSS. I've never seen this actress before so is she like a big star? Are her dramas very successful? 

I really hope they don't give her longer screen time than SYR. No matter how big of a star she is she isn't the female lead. If her agency wants more screen time have her get a role were she is the lead. I find it very unfair for SYR to get second lined for other actresses. Could it be because the other actresses are considered prettier or due to favoritism? 

• Sad 1

55 minutes ago, raziela said:

I always love your posts.  Agreeing with everything you have said here too.  I think you summed up my feelings with these words "they clearly have the ability to do so, they just won't do it for some reason."  That's what I keep coming back too.  Mao Ni gave them a fantastic blueprint in the original story.  I can accept dramas have to change things but I don't think it's acceptable when it changes the essence of the story in the way they chose to and I can't think of any logical reason why they made those choices.

There was a lot I loved about this drama: the great cast, the beautiful scenery, cinematography, sets, music, fights but in the end certain writing, directing and editorial decisions left me very disappointed and confused.  It's sad because the early episodes were wonderful but in the end this drama left me with a bitter taste in my mouth.  

I'm appreciating all these posts.  One of the reasons I haven't posted for a couple of days is because I've been trying process my feelings towards the drama and why I'm so unhappy with it even though, objectively, I think it was quite a good drama.  It's nice to see I'm not alone in my thoughts and feelings :)

I know what you mean..... I too am fine with changes as long as it kept the heart of the story... Sigh... the earlier episodes were very heartwarming... and I guess it raised my expectation too much. There are many good things they did right, but there are things that disappoint me too. I can't say I'm happy with the changes in the latter episodes. But there's nothing we can do... it is what it is... sigh...

--------------------------

I won't say much anymore, I just want to remember NQ-SS as one of my favorite couple, with bonds thats beyond superficial.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, lynne22 said:

I know what you mean..... I too am fine with changes as long as it kept the heart of the story... Sigh... the earlier episodes were very heartwarming... and I guess it raised my expectation too much. There are many good things they did right, but there are things that disappoint me too. I can't say I'm happy with the changes in the latter episodes. But there's nothing we can do... it is what it is... sigh...

--------------------------

I won't say much anymore, I just want to remember NQ-SS as one of my favorite couple, with bonds thats beyond superficial.

NQ/SS has the best hugs. SS is NQ's precious sack of rice.

• LOL 2

Here's Chen Fei Yu's farewell post for Evernight :bawling:

Here, he said, he auditioned for the role of Ning Que because he love the character that he read from Jiang Ye. Considered Ning Que as a role model, flawed that he is.

There were times I can't believe he is only 17 to 18 when he played this role. 

https://m.weibo.cn/status/4322897017390909

41ed423ely1fyomvqm9y5j21jk0v9h12.jpg

• Thanks 4

1 hour ago, lynne22 said:

Here, he said, he auditioned for the role of Ning Que because he love the character that he read from Jiang Ye. Considered Ning Que as a role model, flawed that he is.

What did he said?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lynne22 said:

Yeah i read somewhere CFY stated he really like NQ role after read 将夜, so when he knew about the audition he excited to try. 

This is the loose translation from weibo machine translator.

Screenshot-20181230-160521-Weibo-Intl.jp

Really admired his maturity and profesionalism on the set, willing to listen and learn from his senior, wishing Arthur CFY always keep down to earth and always keep up upgrading his skill and talent, and last but not least dont forget to keep study at school.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

@mei2018, @epinklyn has shared the translation.....

Chen Fei yu seems like a good kid to me.. I respect him especially because he's still at a young age, but he's not afraid to work hard. 

Here's some new Pics that's been spreading in twitter :wub:

DvkdLg7UwAAdrrq.jpg

DvkdLg7UwAEQVMz.jpg

DvkdLg-V4AA2fUY.jpg

I'm going to really miss Chen Feiyu's Ning Que and Song Yiren's Sang Sang:tears:

DvkdLg7U0AAKNmg.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

hope the production will wait for CFY and SYR I believe they the best NQ SS without them the entire love feeling of this drama will disappear SYR is really pretty and adorable i believe she can handle the roll of SS. Don't change either of them

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, LeeN said:

hope the production will wait for CFY and SYR I believe they the best NQ SS without them the entire love feeling of this drama will disappear SYR is really pretty and adorable i believe she can handle the roll of SS. Don't change either of them

My wishful thinking as well, but its been confirm that CFY will not return for EN S2 but SY will reprise her role as SS, unless theres been a change in cast.

As for now, others casting/roles has been rumors & no official statement has been made in regards to the full cast of EN S2.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, angelangie said:

Wow thx @angelangie for the article, so excited Arthur CFY n Liu Hao Ran included on their short list :wub:.  I am also longing when CFY can participate on celebrity cooking competition LOL.

Thx to @lynne22 for the CFY n SYR pictures, their chemistry is so visible as crystal clear even from their photos.

Gonna miss them a lot :tears: #runIntoDarkEmptyRoomCrying

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

15 hours ago, mei2018 said:

Me too! :dissapointed: I wish that somehow they could work it out and kept most of the original cast, especially Chen Fei Yu. Since they keep delay the shooting, may be it can be delayed until CFY is available. :tounge_xd:

Well! i will keep reading the novel and will always imagine that CFY is NQ and SYR is SS.

i hope NQ DON'T have to wait til 5000 years SS to reborn in the series THIS IS what i heard on youtube according to the novel after she had give birth to the twins ming wang awakening and control SS again NG finds SS back after he kill ming wang 5000 years later

18 minutes ago, greenwatch08 said:

My wishful thinking as well, but its been confirm that CFY will not return for EN S2 but SY will reprise her role as SS, unless theres been a change in cast.

As for now, others casting/roles has been rumors & no official statement has been made in regards to the full cast of EN S2.

hope for miracle will happen they both will work together in S2

• Like 1
  • Sad 1