[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Ever Night 将夜

tothestars

Why but why the screenwriter  thought a good idea if NQ cried while reading MSS letter????? I’m not even upset about making SS watch everything ( okay, I’m a little upset :( ) but it goes against everything that is NQ personality, he doesn’t get emotional that easy in fact he is very cold, the only person that actually makes him lose it is SS and in the drama not even when she left he cried and that would be for me the only time that it actually made sense lol  

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, lostintranslation said:

I believe that a good novel, or dramatization, is one that does not spoon-feed the viewer but rather emotionally engages you to the point that you'll root for the hopes and dreams of characters ... sometimes even in the face of evidence to the contrary.

For those who see SS's actions as forcing NQ to choose between her and MSS - perhaps they might be reminded of episode 21.  This was when NQ stood at the peak of the mountain and broke through the illusion faster than LQ to become Mr Thirteen.  He recognised the illusory SS ... 'Sang Sang would never force me to make a choice because she trusts that the choices I make are right'.

I think the drama does provide conflicting evidence of NQ's feelings for MSS, contrary to the novel.  But at the end of the day it's only a hormonal teenage boy's first crush, which may surface now and again, and give some pause for reflection - that's only human.  When push comes to shove NQ makes the only choice that is true to his essential being - because NQ and SS have long imprinted on each other, and no third-party could ever hope to supplant one or the other.  They are an exquisite OTP to root for.

I agree. SS never forced him/submit to anything. NQ left MSS on his own accord. SS is always selfless. Shes willing to giveup NQ even though its difficult for her. She even cried at the thought of not being w/him anymore.

• Like 3

Why hasn't this drama explained that Sang Sang suffers from her Cold Disease and why she needs to do all the physical work for a reason?  Just watching the untranslated recent episode and NQ really looks like lazy, arrogant trash strolling along empty handed whilst tiny SS struggles climbing up the mountain under the weight of all the heavy baggage:expressionless:

• LOL 2

11 minutes ago, toninha said:

Why but why the screenwriter  thought a good idea if NQ cried while reading MSS letter????? I’m not even upset about making SS watch everything ( okay, I’m a little upset :( ) but it goes against everything that is NQ personality, he doesn’t get emotional that easy in fact he is very cold, the only person that actually makes him lose it is SS and in the drama not even when she left he cried and that would be for me the only time that it actually made sense lol  

Right. Judging from NQ's personality based on novel. NQ would never cries over a small matter, even after he broke up with mss. ONLY SS can make NQ cried and depressed. Whenever NQ in bad mood, having troubles or upset, he would share his burden to SS. He doesnt even go for drink because he has low tolerance of alcohol. If he did something opposites than he normally does, its because of SS.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, toninha said:

I never read NQ as an emotional character either. Hes shown a bit of sadness before but legit tears over a letter? Over a girl he met/known for few/several months? Its odd characterization. NQ/SS spent a whole lifetime together. 

• Like 3

This is from the novel in terms of NQ's emotions about ending things with MSS:

Spoiler

Ning Que looked at the white garbed girl, sitting at the desk by the windowsill. He looked at her black hair cascading over her dress, her fluttering eyelashes and beautiful round cheeks, then suddenly felt an urge to turn around and leave.

He had spent a long time outside this small courtyard last night, watching the girl's silhouette at the window. Then he went to the lake and struggled for a long time. In the end, he had thought that his cold and unfeeling nature would help in making him emotionally prepared. However, he suddenly felt an unbearable void in his heart when she saw her.

This sense of emptiness was one that you would feel when realizing that a wonderful thing was passing by, yet you could do nothing about it. What's more, when a wonderful thing came, it had to be ruthlessly and stupidly rejected by him, at the risk of hurting the other person, bringing frustration and guilt. All of this made him feel remorseful.

He was flustered over his guilty conscience. As to whether there was any heartache hidden in the deepest parts of his heart, Ning Que did not reveal a trace of it and did not tell anyone about it afterwards. He pulled Chen Pipi to his side.

This part they did not add in the drama:

Spoiler

Mo Shanshan spread yellow bud paper on the desk, and weighed it down at a corner. She poured water into the ink slab and began to grind the ink. Then, she pointed at the brushes on the stand and said softly, "Choose one."

Ning Que did not know what she wanted to do, but silently chose the kind of brush that he normally used.

Mo Shanshan looked at him and said solemnly, "You promised me in the Wilderness that you'd write me loads of calligraphy pieces."

Ning Que thought about what had happened then. After a brief moment of silence, he replied seriously, "I will write as many as you want me to."

Rare mischievous expression spread on Mo Shanshan's beautiful face. She said jokingly, "You'll write as many as I want you to? So how about writing endless copies?"

Ning Que replied playfully, "Then I will never stop writing."

Mo Shanshan looked at him silently, "So write for me forever."

The doors of the room inside the bamboo forest of the Reception Yard remained tightly shut from day to dusk and never opened once. Ning Que discussed the art of calligraphy with Mo Shanshan and wrote her sections until night came with the need to light candles. The silhouette on the window became two people, and from the outside, it looked like two shadows joined as one.

The candlelight flickered and Mo Shanshan trimmed the candle wick with a pair of small scissors. Then, she walked to Ning Que's side and watched him write. She knew that he was very tired, but also knew that he did not need pity at this moment.

After all, he could not write forever, and she could not trim the candle wick twice. The door opened with a squeak and Mo Shanshan sent Ning Que to the door. Outside the threshold, they bowed at each other peacefully before saying their goodbyes.

When they straightened up, Mo Shanshan looked into Ning Que's eyes. Suddenly, she walked forward and stuck her face in his chest rather clumsily. She listened silently.

After a moment of hesitation, Ning Que hugged her and patted her back gently.

Mo Shanshan leaned into his chest silently. Then, she said, "You still owe me a note."

As much as I hate the NQ tearing up while reading the letter, I will take that instead of a whole day of calligraphy and a hug in the end :tounge_xd:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, kiara_bleu said:

Reveal hidden contents

Ning Que looked at the white garbed girl, sitting at the desk by the windowsill. He looked at her black hair cascading over her dress, her fluttering eyelashes and beautiful round cheeks, then suddenly felt an urge to turn around and leave.

He had spent a long time outside this small courtyard last night, watching the girl's silhouette at the window. Then he went to the lake and struggled for a long time. In the end, he had thought that his cold and unfeeling nature would help in making him emotionally prepared. However, he suddenly felt an unbearable void in his heart when she saw her.

This sense of emptiness was one that you would feel when realizing that a wonderful thing was passing by, yet you could do nothing about it. What's more, when a wonderful thing came, it had to be ruthlessly and stupidly rejected by him, at the risk of hurting the other person, bringing frustration and guilt. All of this made him feel remorseful.

He was flustered over his guilty conscience. As to whether there was any heartache hidden in the deepest parts of his heart, Ning Que did not reveal a trace of it and did not tell anyone about it afterwards. He pulled Chen Pipi to his side.

Reveal hidden contents

Mo Shanshan spread yellow bud paper on the desk, and weighed it down at a corner. She poured water into the ink slab and began to grind the ink. Then, she pointed at the brushes on the stand and said softly, "Choose one."

Ning Que did not know what she wanted to do, but silently chose the kind of brush that he normally used.

Mo Shanshan looked at him and said solemnly, "You promised me in the Wilderness that you'd write me loads of calligraphy pieces."

Ning Que thought about what had happened then. After a brief moment of silence, he replied seriously, "I will write as many as you want me to."

Rare mischievous expression spread on Mo Shanshan's beautiful face. She said jokingly, "You'll write as many as I want you to? So how about writing endless copies?"

The doors of the room inside the bamboo forest of the Reception Yard remained tightly shut from day to dusk and never opened once. Ning Que discussed the art of calligraphy with Mo Shanshan and wrote her sections until night came with the need to light candles. The silhouette on the window became two people, and from the outside, it looked like two shadows joined as one.

The candlelight flickered and Mo Shanshan trimmed the candle wick with a pair of small scissors. Then, she walked to Ning Que's side and watched him write. She knew that he was very tired, but also knew that he did not need pity at this moment.

After all, he could not write forever, and she could not trim the candle wick twice. The door opened with a squeak and Mo Shanshan sent Ning Que to the door. Outside the threshold, they bowed at each other peacefully before saying their goodbyes.

When they straightened up, Mo Shanshan looked into Ning Que's eyes. Suddenly, she walked forward and stuck her face in his chest rather clumsily. She listened silently.

Mo Shanshan leaned into his chest silently. Then, she said, "You still owe me a note."

As much as I hate the NQ tearing up while reading the letter, I will take that instead of a whole day of calligraphy and a hug in the end :tounge_xd:

Thanks @kiara_bleu Ugh. Great writing in the novel but in the hands of this tone-deaf screenwriter and the director it would have been a mess and upset people even more. So definitely better they left it out of the drama. 

I still don't think tears are correct for NQ.  They could just have had him look sad/regretful/pensive when reading letter and it would have served the same purpose without being so out of character..

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

30 minutes ago, kiara_bleu said:

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

NQ crying over a note is just odd. Even when his friend got killed, not one tear fell. Heck, SS cried a legit waterfall for NQ's friend. I dont mind NQ feeling regretful because he definitely liked MSS.

Showing NQ giving MSS a few of his calligraphy & personally saying goodbye to her wouldve been more effective because:

1. MSS deserves that goodbye after rejecting her in that manner in the snow.

2. She always wanted a written calligraphy from him so she should atleast recieve one.

3. Both make peace/no hard feelings.

4. Shows whos truly in NQ's heart, which is SS. 

5. Character development.

I know Im being petty but darn it. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 3

2 hours ago, angelangie said:

hmmm....he look in awestruck with Mo ShanShan and mostly always....SHY....definitely not very NingQue :D 

@n3bula  @angelangie  @lostintranslation  all of you are correct in Ning Que's feelings to Mo Shan Shan. Mo Shan Shan is the first female he has come to like beside Sang Sang.  

I think the real issue is that NQ already recognized SS as his wife but never  said the words out loud. NQ is so selfish that SS has always been his woman. Thanks to MSS for making him realize that he can lose  SS so he had to make a choice.  SS never wanted for him to choose from the novel, but in the drama , it was made a like a choice. 

Spoiler

In the drama , we saw SS waiting for him but in the novel she didn't wait for him to come get her. In the novel , SS felt ignored by NQ and saw that he liked someone else sincerely. So she decided to leave him because she can't be around watching him be with another woman. 

I suspect that MSS would have shared NQ with SS, but she would be miserable because WHen NINGSANG are together the outside world just stops while they keep on moving on. No One can enter their world without being kicked out of their world.  @kiara_bleu  Understood NQ acting shy in front of MSS and she is right. That is the way we would all act in front of our crush. I think we alll need too accept that MSS is important to him just a tiny bit. 

Damn!!! When I watch NQ and SS together, I start to smile and make little noises because of how cute they are. He looks so relaxed , happy and free.  When he is with MSS , I am like shaking my head and saying you are such a bad bad bad bad boy. Do you want to lose SS??? He is acting like a teenager hanging out with his crush. HE is shy and and awestruck. But we all need to remember  at the end of the day What kind of person do you want to come home to?? Is it the person who has u awestruck or the one who make you whole???? 

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

13 minutes ago, UnniSarah said:

@n3bula  @angelangie  @lostintranslation  all of you are correct in Ning Que's feelings to Mo Shan Shan. Mo Shan Shan is the first female he has come to like beside Sang Sang.  

I think the real issue is that NQ already recognized SS as his wife but never  said the words out loud. NQ is so selfish that SS has always been his woman. Thanks to MSS for making him realize that he can lose  SS so he had to make a choice.  SS never wanted for him to choose from the novel, but in the drama , it was made a like a choice. 

Hide contents

In the drama , we saw SS waiting for him but in the novel she didn't wait for him to come get her. In the novel , SS felt ignored by NQ and saw that he liked someone else sincerely. So she decided to leave him because she can't be around watching him be with another woman. 

I suspect that MSS would have shared NQ with SS, but she would be miserable because WHen NINGSANG are together the outside world just stops while they keep on moving on. No One can enter their world without being kicked out of their world.  @kiara_bleu  Understood NQ acting shy in front of MSS and she is right. That is the way we would all act in front of our crush. I think we alll need too accept that MSS is important to him just a tiny bit. 

Damn!!! When I watch NQ and SS together, I start to smile and make little noises because of how cute they are. He looks so relaxed , happy and free.  When he is with MSS , I am like shaking my head and saying you are such a bad bad bad bad boy. Do you want to lose SS??? He is acting like a teenager hanging out with his crush. HE is shy and and awestruck. But we all need to remember  at the end of the day What kind of person do you want to come home to?? Is it the person who has u awestruck or the one who make you whole???? 

I don't know what SS says after NQ left in the drama but in the novel she does admit that she was being selfish in forcing him to make a choice:

Spoiler

Sangsang shook her head and said, "You are really an annoying child."

The Sangsang in the mirror lowered her head and said, "Why do you say so?"

"Because you have caused him to worry."

"I just want to give him space after his marriage."

"But you know very well that he would not abandon you. You are forcing him to make a choice. He is already very good to you. How could you be so cruel?"

"But he said he wanted to spend his life with me. Would it be the same if there was an additional person? Could we spend our lives together with another person?"

"Why do you have to fight for it?"

The Sangsang in the mirror answered sadly, "But that belonged to me."

Sangsang who was looking at the mirror said softly, "But he would be very sad."

"I have never fought for anything. But it's different this time. Even though he would be sad, and even though I have become an annoying child, and even though I have become more ugly. I would still fight."

Looking at the mirror, Sangsang wiped off the tears from her face and said childishly.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, lostintranslation said:

I believe that a good novel, or dramatization, is one that does not spoon-feed the viewer but rather emotionally engages you to the point that you'll root for the hopes and dreams of characters ... sometimes even in the face of evidence to the contrary.

For those who see SS's actions as forcing NQ to choose between her and MSS - perhaps they might be reminded of episode 21.  This was when NQ stood at the peak of the mountain and broke through the illusion faster than LQ to become Mr Thirteen.  He recognised the illusory SS ... 'Sang Sang would never force me to make a choice because she trusts that the choices I make are right'.

I think the drama does provide conflicting evidence of NQ's feelings for MSS, contrary to the novel.  But at the end of the day it's only a hormonal teenage boy's first crush, which may surface now and again, and give some pause for reflection - that's only human.  When push comes to shove NQ makes the only choice that is true to his essential being - because NQ and SS have long imprinted on each other, and no third-party could ever hope to supplant one or the other.  They are an exquisite OTP to root for.

@lostintranslation I completely agree with you about what a good novel or drama is. I first came across NingSang quotes on Twitter and that's what caught my attention. Reading them made me feel connected with the characters. So I went under #evernight and started reading comments and seeing videos. I got hooked because of NingSang. 

Thanks for sharing that quote from episode 21. I have read parts of the novel but have only watched first 4 episodes. I will be watching all of them soon. 

True they are an exquisite OTP to root for. I just want them to show that on screen. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, toninha said:

@toninha I'm still trying to figure out why screenwriter would do that. It makes no sense for her to have characters act completely from how they are. It changes the essence of the character which is what upsets me the most. They did not show NQ desperation over SS leaving him which i wanted to see cause it's the moment he realizes he can't live without her. He completely loses it. He goes crazy trying to find her and won't return without her. I'm starting to believe screenwriter is team NingShan or just loves MSS way to much. 

• Like 4

About ep 49-50

Spoiler

Can't help smiling watching NingSang together, just a simple activity, eating together, but it seems so joyful, they own their world. Yeah i saw the NQ look towards SS, just like after a long long time no see SS LOL, and he is so grateful that SS was there with him in their house, i guarantee, NQ must be swear on behalf of his life, that he will never lose her again LOL, a tremendous shock therapy for NQ.

Poor NQ, after he got accepted as FuZi direct disciple, he never got a chance to meet FuZi, after months or years (two years?), he got punishment on 2nd times he meet FuZi, and got beaten on the 1st time meeting. What a life. But the punishment is for his own good, because so many sect after him.

Well i think in the later novel, not only every sect in the world after SS, but also want to kill NQ, since he has defeated n killed people from other sects. So they both are like a couple of public enemy :tears:

Yeah i am longing too for YHY

Spoiler

Her cultivation state has weakened, but her skill still higher than NQ. I remembered when i did jumping read, in chapter 600ish, she got her cultivation back and getting stronger, and she still try to kill NQ n SS, sigh.. And she learned the shameless character from NQ, and make NQ angry for this LOL

Cant wait for tonite and tomorrow eps, maybe tonite NQ will manage to leave the cave successfully and have a fight with Liu Bai Younger Brother.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, raziela said:

Why hasn't this drama explained that Sang Sang suffers from her Cold Disease and why she needs to do all the physical work for a reason?  Just watching the untranslated recent episode and NQ really looks like lazy, arrogant trash strolling along empty handed whilst tiny SS struggles climbing up the mountain under the weight of all the heavy baggage:expressionless:

@raziela this does need to be explained but I guess they were too busy making NQ/MSS flirt with each other to do so. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

2 hours ago, Snow Guardian said:

YHY is back!!!!

AND I am dying to see this scene coming on the screen this week!!! *Cheering*:heart:

NQ: Sangsang, dont leave me again. I wanna marry you:heart: *heavysweetness*

@Snow Guardian I am confused about YHY character. She is like NQ female version right? But does she like him or what? Based on parts of the novel I've read I don't really like her. 

Thanks for the translation I love that he told her that

Edited by angelangie
Mod Edit: Do not quote vids
  • Like 2
  • LOL 1

44 minutes ago, UnniSarah said:

Hide contents

@UnniSarah yes NQ has always thought about SS as his and is very selfish when it comes to her. I suppose MSS did have to come along to make him realize what SS truly means to him. 

I am the same way all smiles with NingSang and rolling my eyes with MSS. 

Ofcourse anyone wants to be with the person that makes them whole. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, n3bula said:

@Snow Guardian I am confused about YHY character. She is like NQ female version right? But does she like him or what? Based on parts of the novel I've read I don't really like her. 

Thanks for the translation I love that he told her that

Yup. She is NQ female version. She is cold, cruel and heartless. That's why whenever she meets NQ, they are like cat and dog:D and I like the scenes of both of them than NQ-MSS. I feel like NQ-YHY scenes make the drama colorful. Especially, when they are discussing about YHY's wounds after she was bitten by that monk. (But sadly, that's only happening in the novel).

I dont think YHY has any romantic feeling towards NQ. But, they have a vibe of kinda love-hate comrades relationship:D

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, kiara_bleu said:

I don't know what SS says after NQ left in the drama but in the novel she does admit that she was being selfish in forcing him to make a choice:

Reveal hidden contents

Sangsang shook her head and said, "You are really an annoying child."

The Sangsang in the mirror lowered her head and said, "Why do you say so?"

"Because you have caused him to worry."

"I just want to give him space after his marriage."

"But you know very well that he would not abandon you. You are forcing him to make a choice. He is already very good to you. How could you be so cruel?"

"But he said he wanted to spend his life with me. Would it be the same if there was an additional person? Could we spend our lives together with another person?"

"Why do you have to fight for it?"

The Sangsang in the mirror answered sadly, "But that belonged to me."

Sangsang who was looking at the mirror said softly, "But he would be very sad."

"I have never fought for anything. But it's different this time. Even though he would be sad, and even though I have become an annoying child, and even though I have become more ugly. I would still fight."

Looking at the mirror, Sangsang wiped off the tears from her face and said childishly.

@kiara_bleu  Lol lol , I remembered this scene but now the words in this scene will remain in my mind.  I prefer this scene in the novel because it is so subtle, unlike in the drama she is suffering so much with all that crying and screaming at the servants. I think the choice was needed but I don’t want people thinking badly of SS and that is why I I probably forgot she did say she was making him choose. But what about SS, even SS was still thinking of NQ.  When he is hurt , she is hurt, when he cries , she is crying. Their bond is very rare and powerful but it wouldn’t be fair that she remain his servant and he gets everything he wants. 

Sometimes I wonder will MSS understand NQ need for violence , fighting  or taking care of him when he is sick. Will MSS be ready to discuss murder or plan on murdering someone to the last detail. Will she understand him and still love him. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 2