[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Ever Night 将夜

tothestars

@Wotad 

Spoiler

Yes, he is the servant's son, everyone just assumed he is the general's son...and there's a reason he's not correcting their assumption. I love love the fight between NQ and XH and how he questioned why can't a servant's son avenged his father? Why must righting the wrong done to his family only counts if he is the general's son? Does the lives of servant's have no value...? I'm looking forward to it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, angelangie said:

I have been reading a lot of cultivation books previously which was why I was not involved in alot of the drama till recently and somehow reading all those books kind of prepare me mentally for what u seems to be unable to lols

Yes it does feel like the kid kinds of mature too fast right.....

However maybe we are also seeing things from diff angle and we are getting diff vibes off too.....the feeling sangsang and ningque gave me is not of siblings but of two mates who grew up sides by sides each other and also a little blind to each other inner feelings.......what they did for each other ate beyond what siblings do for each other ......

The promise I put it in spoiler why I said so since this hasn't been air as yet

Reveal hidden contents

The promise will be the promise ningque made to sangsang father when he asked for her hands I take that as a promise hehehe sorry forgive me for confusing u :)

Same I also thought he was just a servant son too? 

I have a few cultivation books i been reading as well

Both are BL though haha there are quite a few i want to read like Against the gods, Awakening , Reincarnator,Martial World , Ancient godly monarch.

basically all the wuxia type ones from here which are popular https://www.readlightnovel.org/

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

Besides the excellent fighting scenes (at least the earlier ones), I do love how the characters in this series made their entrances. I especially love the first scenes of NQ and SS (individually and together), YS's second appearance (Old Pavillion fight scene), WGM's, XH's, Tang's, Master Lotus, 2nd bro, YHY, even Princess Li Yu (although there was no need to show those legs). I didn't quite like how LQ was introduced (the hairstyle was hideous).

Can anyone enlighten me on the actor playing SS's dad? He looks so familiar... Is he a HK actor?

And I'm also curious about that mask wearing chief of WGM's sect. Is there a reason for that mask? Are we supposed to know him? Spoil me please!

• Like 7
  • LOL 1

@dzareth:   @watchumlots obviously has not reached the No Doubt stage 

OH, you know how to hurt!  

But I think you are correct.  Been reading faster than my usual speed-reading fast, but the names of the characters... 

OH, I'm re-watching Ep 41 w/Eng subs... That wild-haired General-guy, the evil one, NQ is having flash-backs when this guy comes zooming into their walk-a-bout... He remembers this guy killing someone he called 'Dad.'  That 'dad' guy had a fancy 'do and was dressed in a fancy outfit.  So I'm back to thinking he's the dead general's son.

WHY did NQ kill the 'farmer' or woodman he and SS were living with when they were young, do we ever know? 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, dzareth said:

Besides the excellent fighting scenes (at least the earlier ones), I do love how the characters in this series made their entrances. I especially love the first scenes of NQ and SS (individually and together), YS's second appearance (Old Pavillion fight scene), WGM's, XH's, Tang's, Master Lotus, 2nd bro, YHY, even Princess Li Yu (although there was no need to show those legs). I didn't quite like how LQ was introduced (the hairstyle was hideous).

Can anyone enlighten me on the actor playing SS's dad? He looks so familiar... Is he a HK actor?

And I'm also curious about that mask wearing chief of WGM's sect. Is there a reason for that mask? Are we supposed to know him? Spoil me please!

Yes, nearly everyone's entrances are epic - even the minor characters.  LQ's actor is a good looking guy but that weave does not do him any favours especially in the early scenes.  I was all "Him?:wacko:" when people kept talking about how beautiful and handsome he is.

13 minutes ago, watchumlots said:

WHY did NQ kill the 'farmer' or woodman he and SS were living with when they were young, do we ever know? 

@rhapsI thought it was also because the woodsman wanted to take SS away and sell her?  

• Like 3

@raziela @rhaps

Spoiler

You are in the right track. He wanted to sleep with Sang Sang so he killed him. Cmiiw chingu.  NQ saw him to be a pervert that is why he liked him. That is what I remember NQ said. Even NQ told this story and asked the person listening to his  story If he wasn’t right to do so????

Yes ,the Prince does have beauty hair and is cute , if not for his nasty character I would be fan of his character. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, rhaps said:

Hmmm..I dont really remember that part, I should check again. All that I can remember is the one that I wrote in the spoiler.

I might be wrong:sweatingbullets:  I was reading a very dodgy translation before someone on the forum posted the link to the better translations :lol:

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

Last I joined the topic, it was like 60. And now i am working to finish by 106 :bawling: Why so active hahahahahahahaha. Like i said in prev post, i want to be in hiatus mode until NQ meet SS. But nahhh promises are meant to be broken so i watch it on my own cost. Surprisingly I didn't feel upset at all. Maybe I've set my mind to focus on the details other than that cringe moments NQ and MSS. Seriously it helps me A LOTTTTTTT. 

Tbh I smile like retarded everytime SS and WGM moments. I miss my late grandpa TT

I am back and forth from drama to novel then novel to drama. Because feels so out. 

Oh yeah, dear director. I may change the ship from NQ/SS to SS/JM very soon if you dare to change the storyline in S2 - __-

• Like 2
  • LOL 4

5 hours ago, Jackie1048 said:

I felt Ning Que was getting too cocky so Sang Sang is the one to put him right.

I think so too.  In the drama, once he became Mr 13 and YS apprentice he definitely became more cocky and arrogant and started treating SS in a a dismissive way. SS leaving him was the wake-up call he needed.

5 hours ago, UnniSarah said:

@raziela @rhaps

Reveal hidden contents

You are in the right track. He wanted to sleep with Sang Sang so he killed him. Cmiiw chingu.  NQ saw him to be a pervert that is why he liked him. That is what I remember NQ said. Even NQ told this story and asked the person listening to his  story If he wasn’t right to do so????

Yes ,the Prince does have beauty hair and is cute , if not for his nasty character I would be fan of his character. 

Thanks @UnniSarah That's worse than both of our suggestions combined. Disgusting, vile man!

I'm glad someone agrees about the Prince's appearance and his great hair :lol: I wonder what the actor looks like out of costume.

4 hours ago, kimong8 said:

Last I joined the topic, it was like 60. And now i am working to finish by 106 :bawling: Why so active hahahahahahahaha. Like i said in prev post, i want to be in hiatus mode until NQ meet SS. But nahhh promises are meant to be broken so i watch it on my own cost. Surprisingly I didn't feel upset at all. Maybe I've set my mind to focus on the details other than that cringe moments NQ and MSS. Seriously it helps me A LOTTTTTTT. 

Tbh I smile like retarded everytime SS and WGM moments. I miss my late grandpa TT

I am back and forth from drama to novel then novel to drama. Because feels so out. 

Oh yeah, dear director. I may change the ship from NQ/SS to SS/JM very soon if you dare to change the storyline in S2 - __-

Welcome back to the thread! Lots to catch up on. Same with you I'm just focusing on all the other stuff and (fast forwarding through the useless NQ/MSS scenes:vicx:)

I think SS-JM might be the second most popular ship in the drama now :lol:

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

2 hours ago, watchumlots said:

@dzareth:   @watchumlots obviously has not reached the No Doubt stage 

But I think you are correct.  Been reading faster than my usual speed-reading fast, but the names of the characters... 

OH, I'm re-watching Ep 41 w/Eng subs... That wild-haired General-guy, the evil one, NQ is having flash-backs when this guy comes zooming into their walk-a-bout... He remembers this guy killing someone he called 'Dad.'  That 'dad' guy had a fancy 'do and was dressed in a fancy outfit.  So I'm back to thinking he's the dead general's son.

Because the old hunter wanted to sell SS to become a prostitute. By the time NQ heard that, he became angry and killed the hunter. NQ chopped off the old hunter head. He killed for the first time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, watchumlots said:

Patience my youngling! Maybe you have some blocked tenketsu like NQ.

Reading can be a bit confusing though, because not all characters appear in the drama. And the characters that do appear may have different personalities in the novel. In fact, the drama actually has a lighter tone than the novel, which is a good move to attract audience.

But the important thing is to understand the essence of the novel, because Mao Ni created some wonderful characters in their imperfections. Honestly, NQ is one of the most flawed character I've came across in literature.

Hah! I'm calling Jiang Ye/ Ever Night literature!

3 hours ago, angelangie said:

However maybe we are also seeing things from diff angle and we are getting diff vibes off too.....the feeling sangsang and ningque gave me is not of siblings but of two mates who grew up sides by sides each other and also a little blind to each other inner feelings.......what they did for each other ate beyond what siblings do for each other ......

Calling them soulmates make things romantic, which seems light. But the depiction of their bond is heavier. Like what NQ said, them being together is a necessity. There can be no other way. It is almost like a curse. Actually I'm quite happy that NQ-SS isn't lovey-dovey in the novel.

NQ is always saying that SS never made him choose,

Spoiler

until the moment she left, which is probably the first time SS put NQ in a situation where he has to choose. SS even felt guilty about forcing NQ to do that, but she was very clear that 2 is a company and 3 is a crowd. I don't think SS put NQ in this predicament simply because she fancied him for herself, but because she cannot be the third person in this relationship. And NQ chose SS over MSS because he also cannot put SS in that position, and NQ himself is unwilling/ unable to be the third person if SS were to be with someone else. Their bond is quite toxic actually, in a beautiful way, but yeah still toxic.

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, dzareth said:

Patience my youngling! Maybe you have some blocked tenketsu like NQ.

Reading can be a bit confusing though, because not all characters appear in the drama. And the characters that do appear may have different personalities in the novel. In fact, the drama actually has a lighter tone than the novel, which is a good move to attract audience.

But the important thing is to understand the essence of the novel, because Mao Ni created some wonderful characters in their imperfections. Honestly, NQ is one of the most flawed character I've came across in literature.

Calling them soulmates make things romantic, which seems light. But the depiction of their bond is heavier. Like what NQ said, them being together is a necessity. There can be no other way. It is almost like a curse. Actually I'm quite happy that NQ-SS isn't lovey-dovey in the novel.

NQ is always saying that SS never made him choose,

Hide contents

until the moment she left, which is probably the first time SS put NQ in a situation where he has to choose. SS even felt guilty about forcing NQ to do that, but she was very clear that 2 is a company and 3 is a crowd. I don't think SS put NQ in this predicament simply because she fancied him for herself, but because she cannot be the third person in this relationship. And NQ chose SS over MSS because he also cannot put SS in that position, and NQ himself is unwilling/ unable to be the third person if SS were to be with someone else. Their bond is quite toxic actually, in a beautiful way, but yeah still toxic.

Agree in some point degree:D. NQ never made SS to choose. As I remember in the novel, NQ's stupid brain somehow awakening and he thought by himself and finally realised something. When he knew SS would like to marry another man, he was anxiety and angry. He shout and angry bla bla bla and finally calmed down and realised something is wrong...

He thought to himself, if he could not able to see SS marry another man, how could SS able to see him marry another girl?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, dzareth said:

Calling them soulmates make things romantic, which seems light. But the depiction of their bond is heavier. Like what NQ said, them being together is a necessity. There can be no other way. It is almost like a curse. Actually I'm quite happy that NQ-SS isn't lovey-dovey in the novel

Hi. Waving @dzareth cute-rabbit-emoticon-20.gif

Being soulmates doesn’t mean romance. I really believe that that they are soulmates, each other’s half. He is dark and she is light. You ar right this isn’t a romance novel but about two people who had that being apart is a torture for them both. Before love they are best friends, companions and a family. There is an understanding between them without even speaking to each other. She knows all his secret and the only person he wants to share his dark secret. In this story a cultivator am object of fate. This object of fate is like becoming one because of the bond they share that is stronger than life itself. SS is his object of fate. All the other cultivator in the novel object of fate is an object but NQ’s was a SS. He never wanted to use her as his object of fate because he knew if he used she could die and he couldn’t lose her. The object fate is important to cultivator because losing it is like losing oneself. That is how I understood the story itself. This novel is about their adventure and how they faced each challenge that comes their way. About the people they meet , the friendships they make and their new found family even though they might think they are still alone.   I hope this make sense. 

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Snow Guardian said:

Agree in some point degree:D. NQ never made SS to choose. As I remember in the novel, NQ's stupid brain somehow awakening and he thought by himself and finally realised something. When he knew SS would like to marry another man, he was anxiety and angry. He shout and angry bla bla bla and finally calmed down and realised something is wrong...

He thought to himself, if he cant see SS marry another man, why should SS see him marry another girl?

NQ is actually quite selfish when it comes to SS:

Spoiler

I understand the shock of finding out that SS has parents and maybe being suspicious of them at first.  But he went to there solely to bring SS back home.  He never thought that hey maybe he should see if they are nice people, why SS ended up underneath a pile of dead bodies, and maybe its wonderful for SS to reunite with her parents.  Like SS can actually have a higher status and a good life and it's not like they are never going to see each other since they live in the same city.  But no, he has to have SS back with him :joy:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Snow Guardian said:

Because the old hunter wanted to sell SS to become a prostitute. By the time NQ heard that, he became angry and killed the hunter. NQ chopped off the old hunter head. He killed for the first time.

Thanks!  So the dodgy translation and my memory were not completely wrong and he did want to sell her.  AS I said previously a disgusting, vile man!

1 hour ago, dzareth said:

Great post! From what I have read of the webnovel I was genuinely surprised by how well-written it is.  I've read some other webnovels and they were enjoyable but the writing was mediocre at best so I didn't have high expectations for Ever Night.  I am fascinated by the writing for NQ-SS relationship and, honestly, I wasn't expecting it from a male writer. He made the characters, their situation and the depth of their bond and love so unique and believable.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, kiara_bleu said:

Reveal hidden contents

I understand the shock of finding out that SS has parents and maybe being suspicious of them at first.  But he went to there solely to bring SS back home.  He never thought that hey maybe he should see if they are nice people, why SS ended up underneath a pile of dead bodies, and maybe its wonderful for SS to reunite with her parents.  Like SS can actually have a higher status and a good life and it's not like they are never going to see each other since they live in the same city.  But no, he has to have SS back with him :joy:

@kiara_bleu  So very true  but 

Spoiler

But he did observe her parents. In the novel he noticed that SS's father is sleepin the study. He is like her parents aren't in good terms. He is thinking this isn't good for his SS.  You are right , he still had the nerve to only think about her coming home with him. I don't think he would have stopped her from having relationship with them but in no certain terms was he going to be sleeping without her. LOL LOL  What I love is that the MOM suspected that NQ had romantic feeling for her daughter. ofcourse the father didn't suspect it at all . Typical man , only a woman can perceive that.  The father was just scared of offending Mr Thirteen. smh smh smh But spending time with SS, he grew fond of her and like her personality. 

If you think about it  SS and NQ spoiled each other. I truly believe that both gave in to what they both wanted. In the Drama  He was very arrogant believed that SS would just listen to him and come home because he said so. Even the Princess new , NQ would have a hard time getting SS to come home with him since he screwed up. 

One thing I really wanted was XiaXiacoa to give NQ a mouthful of wisdom for his mistreatment of SS. But they didn't even show him going to Redsleeves. I wanted her hurt him with the truth of how much he hurt SS and that he should do better . smh smh How many of wanted to see that. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 3

40 minutes ago, kiara_bleu said:

Hide contents

He has never have a slight of thought what would happen to him in the future. TIME FOR REVENGE SS! LOL. *evil smile*:lol:

Spoiler

Season 2 is SS turns in action. By that time we will discuss how pitiful, intense, and desperate NQ was.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, raziela said:

Thanks!  So the dodgy translation and my memory were not completely wrong and he did want to sell her.  AS I said previously a disgusting, vile man!

Great post! From what I have read of the webnovel I was genuinely surprised by how well-written it is.  I've read some other webnovels and they were enjoyable but the writing was mediocre at best so I didn't have high expectations for Ever Night.  I am fascinated by the writing for NQ-SS relationship and, honestly, I wasn't expecting it from a male writer. He made the characters, their situation and the depth of their bond and love so unique and believable.

I loved the first few episodes of the drama then found out about the novel through this forum.  It's so beautifully written and thank goodness quality translations exists.  I am actually going to marathon the drama next week when more episodes are translated even rewatching the earlier episodes.  My goal is to enjoy the drama for what it is knowing that overall the cast and crew has done a good job adapting the novel.  I'm grateful to this production that they cast wonderful actors (I just realized that I never once thought that someone was miscast or acting badly even on minor roles) and used amazing sets and locations so when I read the novel I can just  imagine it as they are in the drama.

• Like 6