1 hour ago, jeonghyang said:

'm super late @nonski noona... Sorry~

Better late than never chingu:tongue: I missed the whole live stream and am so happy that you @Ainee Etp @athena22and @nonski Did the recaps. Thank you all:heart: 

This drama is addicting, I won't be able to join you all for live (In today's case almost live streaming) since I will be back at work but I'm in awe how all of you manage to recap, post pics and make gifs and still pay attention to whats happening on the screen. Thanks again for making this happen.

@ck1Oz The actress is Chae Jung An that I think you're talking about. I really like her. I almost didn't recognize at first either and agree she just looks the prettiest I have ever seen her too. 

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@triplem yeah. She was dressed well there. And properly made up. But it wasn't fashionable fashionable. That sort of dressing doesn't stand out any different from any other rich madames I am used to seeing in Asia. And it wasn't figure hugging. Besides her current foundation and blusher looks more fresh and youthful.

I am saying good night. Past midnight here. Will catch up with ep 2 tomorrow. Unless I can find the beginning of ep 2. To see what happened.

32 minutes ago, Ainee Etp said:

No problem, nonski. Seems like all the familiar names (chingus) are, once again, gathered together for this new drama. 

The backpack, maybe the production team couldn't think of any way for him to ride a bike with a briefcase. :D

lols yeah... nothing big though. :)   and yes, i feel like i'm roll calling chingus from Strong Woman Do Bong Soon :) 

25 minutes ago, triplem said:

I share your opinion....:lol:...

First thanks everyone for your recaps.  i just finished subbed eps 1 and read your recaps here for eps 2. I like what I have seen so far. I will say that all things considered it has been a pretty good adaptation. I think if you have not seen the American series , it will be even better because the problem I have is I keep comparing this with the original. I was a big fan of the series up to Season 5. So I think there will be  some things that I will need warming up to. 

BUT the big positive is , PHS is completely killing it in this role. No. I am not a bias fangirl.  I like his version of Mike Ross, and I think his acting has gone up a notch here. He is making me stay. Winks.

Hide contents

Some of the other characters are a bit underwhelming at this moment . For  example I would like to see  a bit more tension between Kang seok (JDG )and  Da Ham  ( CJA ) .  The lady playing Jessica does not have such a big  screen presence. The actor playing Louise is not too bad. He has his own flair. 

But anyway not deal breakers as I did enjoy the first episode and will be looking forward to watching the next one. So note to self to forget the American version. 

PHJ is doing great as GYW.  I think JDG is pretty good in his role as well.  

I don't want to compare as well since like you I'm a Suits fan  too.  

Over-all this adaptation is just fine.

19 minutes ago, ck1Oz said:

Wow. Nothing beats staying away from spoilers. And not watching or comparing it to the American show.

Because I just finished ep 1. Totally blown away from the slick style. And I like the styling of the sets and interiors. Because sometimes sets can be tacky rich. I like the sophisticated set up.

And I can't never remember her name. But you guys know which actress I mean. I have never seen her looking so good. In any Kdrama. Her make up. Dressing. Slick. Sassy. And how her make up is bright and makes her look so feminine at the same time. How come no stylist ever styled her like this?

No. I am not watching Suits. I don't want to compare. I am just going to watch ep 2.

Boy am so happy to see the 2 male leads. Night all.

happy to see you visiting this thread chingu and watching the drama as well.

basically, live gifs could spoil you but not my mockcaps :) 

about the actress, i agree with you, i guess this drama just have a better stylist as well as their sets and interiors.

I couldn't help but say this, as I watched episode 2 raw, looking at the scenes tonight and back at episode 1, they been trying their best to engrain the set with the original set's look and feel. Also on Chae Jung Ahn they did a good job with her look, make up and outfit, she almost got the feel of the character from the original.

Just now, triplem said:

Hmm yes...somewhat...in the original series, they did date for a while later on when she broke up with the buddy after finding out his involvement with drugs . In fact he chose her over Jina  ( Rachel) at one point , though he did like Jina. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. So many seasons, I am forgetting some details.

Ah.. so when he said if she can really see through him, it's like he wonders if she knows his heart.

I am now so TEMPTED to watch US version, cause it's a painful 6 days until next episode.

Thank you to all those who summarize and post gifs and screenshots during the viewing! :o:)
To answer @Ainee Etp's question, yes, "Ross" has a crush on his buddy's girlfriend (and it's mutual) they have a relationship in the US version (although he is very attracted to "Rachel" in same time) . 

He still tries to have a serious relationship with the ex girlfriend of his friend. But I don't know if they will show this in the Korean version (depends on the number of episodes I guess?)

Because until now the Korean version remains fairly faithful to the US version

Er if I am here for the legal aspects of the drama, is the US version good then? Because I don't know who Ross is but can guess. So I expect at least 2 female love interest then? Am not going to read anymore the moment I see " Rachel " whoever she is.

But is the show good then for the drama and cases? Cos' believe or not, since I usually love my love line, this time I am here for a good legal drama. Since I heard that the US one was good. But I didn't bother to check who is dating whom and not planning to ship anyone. I just like the idea of a guy being given a chance. And thinking on his feet. I have enough genius colleagues to ignore the " genius " aspects of a Kdrama. I am here for the story. Genius does not equate an interesting person. 

Just my personal POV no insult meant to anyone. Since all of us come to Kdramas or like them for our personal reasons.

Please, please, please tell me the story is not all about the lovelines. It will be so disappointing.

Btw is there a direct link to the drama site on the 1st page? I can't seem to find it.

Nvm found it and watched so many clips think I have almost watched all the highlights. Not bad. Thank goodness. 

1 hour ago, vladlola06 said:

Thank you to all those who summarize and post gifs and screenshots during the viewing! :o:)
To answer @Ainee Etp's question, yes, "Ross" has a crush on his buddy's girlfriend (and it's mutual) they have a relationship in the US version (although he is very attracted to "Rachel" in same time) . 

He still tries to have a serious relationship with the ex girlfriend of his friend. But I don't know if they will show this in the Korean version (depends on the number of episodes I guess?)

Because until now the Korean version remains fairly faithful to the US version

They gotta cut some stuff i would be fine with that being cut. 

1 hour ago, ck1Oz said:

Er if I am here for the legal aspects of the drama, is the US version good then? Because I don't know who Ross is but can guess. So I expect at least 2 female love interest then? Am not going to read anymore the moment I see " Rachel " whoever she is.

But is the show good then for the drama and cases? Cos' believe or not, since I usually love my love line, this time I am here for a good legal drama. Since I heard that the US one was good. But I didn't bother to check who is dating whom and not planning to ship anyone. I just like the idea of a guy being given a chance. And thinking on his feet. I have enough genius colleagues to ignore the " genius " aspects of a Kdrama. I am here for the story. Genius does not equate an interesting person. 

Just my personal POV no insult meant to anyone. Since all of us come to Kdramas or like them for our personal reasons.

Please, please, please tell me the story is not all about the lovelines. It will be so disappointing.

Btw is there a direct link to the drama site on the 1st page? I can't seem to find it.

Nvm found it and watched so many clips think I have almost watched all the highlights. Not bad. Thank goodness. 

The US version does have good legal aspects and amazing twist's and turn's they most likely wont be able to fit 7 seasons of that into 16 episodes though. 

[SPOILERS] SUITS (PILOT)

Spoiler

0000375725_001_20180426001017749.png

1.png

1.png

Naver - sports seoul: 'Suits' Jang Dong Gun fired Park Hyung Sik after a day of hiring him

1.[+953, -95] Ah I'm seriously curious about tomorrow. We got a fun drama after a long time

2.[+416, -83] Kya top start Jang Dong Gun, 2000: All about Eve, 2012: Gentleman's dignity and 2018: Suits

3.[+338, -29] I thought Jang Dong Gun was shooting a CF for suits~~ㅎ He is good at acting too

4.[+388, -124] I didn't feel the time going while watching it. I hope the ratings will hit daebak. Park Hyung Sik is so good at acting

5.[+216, -37] The background music is also good, the development is fast and the two actors are good and have good visuals. I'm looking forward to tomorrow too

6.[+175, -62] I can't help but compare it to the original since I've watched it but I feel like the immersion level has dropped...Except for Park Hyung Sik the others look awkward in their clothes...The lines are trying to hard to be like the original work but they came out bluffy...It just feels like an aged version of Suits...

7.[+126, -39] Did you really enjoy watching it? I found it weird and awkward. There is no well-made drama about courts in our country ㅠㅠ The Barbershop scene had no impact at all. It feels like watching an aged version of Jang Dong Gun in Gentleman's dignity 

8.[+92, -8] Wow Jang Dong Gun is really daebak...He has the looks, charisma and acting...I really fell for him, Park Hyung Sik's also good and has a good face but if he only concentrate a little more on his pronunciation it will be more daebak...

9.[+59, -5] Jang Dong Gun seems to be showing a genuine appearance. As he gets older, he keeps getting cooler 

Spoiler

0000641635_001_20180425224412580.jpg

1.png

1.png

Naver - Sport Donga: 'Suits' Jang Dong Gun x Park Hyung Sik's first meeting...Lawyer vs Fugitive

1.[+368, -28] It's fun, It was a good decision casting these two as leads

2.[+108, -12] When Park Hyung Sik recited the law...he looked so cool ㅠ

3.[+76, -6] It's so fun ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ It's the best

4.[+62, -1] Oh~ An hour has passed so fast ㅋㅋㅋㅋ It's watchable 

5.[+47, -5] Suits is daebak fun

6.[+35, -1] With no ads in the middle, It has the best immersion...I think tomorrow will be more fun! Jang Dong Gun is really daebak...ㅜㅜ

7.[+33, -1] But why did he fire him ㅋㅋㅋㅋ I'm curious

8.[+33, -4] But are Park Hyung Sik's lines for real? It seems like he has suffered a lot to memorize them ㄷㄷㄷ

9.[+27, -1] Wow it has the best immersion, It's so fun. Park Hyung Sik's acting is perfectly good and why is Jang Dong Gun so cool, I'm totally looking forward to their bromance chemistry

10.[+30, -5] Jang Dong Gun is so handsome ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

cr

3 hours ago, Ainee Etp said:

One question: does YW has a crush on buddy's girlfriend? 

IIRC, it was the other way around from the series.

BTW, I still want the Donna/Harvey love line to resolve in the K-drama version. I'm typing it this way so that people who haven't watched the original won't get spoiled.

Also, the American version seems to have more budget, but less swanky offices than the Korean version...

6 hours ago, athena22 said:

PHS went to report to the paralegal who was the girl whose clothes were ruined by him earlier. She bears a grudge and talks to him sarcastically. He wonders about her attitude but his indifferent makes her even more annoyed.

I knew that this scene'd come :lol: Unfortunately, I won't be able to watch first two episodes with subs until sunday so here's my thoughts of them without subs.

Honestly can't take korean's Harvey seriously. Yes, he's manly, good-looking, his behavior and his whole image are really good. JDG acts so well and I like watching scenes with him. But, still, I often think that it's not Harvey at all just some other lawyer. I've never thought something like this about PHS's Mike. Yes, it's an adaptation and the characters may be different but, as for me, when all characters in the korean ver are the perfect match with us version and then I saw JDG's Harvey and I was just like "Hmmm, no".

Second and my favourite thing. PHS and KSH. Their interactions are interesting, they have this special "sparkle" between them. And I'm kinda obsess with that kind of relationships when in the beggining the person annoys you like no other but in the end you can't imagine the life without him.

Special prize for cinematography for this drama! Seriously, the drama team did an excellent job. I really can't remember that us ver had any beautiful angles or shots. 
 Here are some of my favourite:

Spoiler

brP8WS7XvJw.jpg

0ydXXkry4n0.jpg

RLXMM4UJW0g.jpg

rbuODGegkzk.jpg

zbQzYlEy5tM.jpg

p.s. watching this drama after Something in the rain with all these dark scenes and dark colours gives me a lot of pleasure 

6 hours ago, ck1Oz said:

The us story line are (in my point of view from most important to less) :

-Harvey/Mike relationship

-Mike secret

-Mike/Rachel relationship

-Work relationship (Mike/Donna, Harvey/Jessica, ...)

-Harvey/Donna relationship

-Louis from "bad guy" to guy you want to be happy and you really like

-Case (at first it's one episode a case then it's a main case on a arc and with some of the episode with a case for the episode).

6 hours ago, triplem said:

Hmm yes...somewhat...in the original series, they did date for a while later on when she broke up with the buddy after finding out his involvement with drugs . In fact he chose her over Jina  ( Rachel) at one point , though he did like Jina. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. So many seasons, I am forgetting some details.

Actually, in the original, Rachel (Ji-na) say she don't want to date someone from the firm so he gave up and after a couple of episode he begin to date Jenny (Se-hee). Then because of the alchemy between the two, they end up kissing (she kiss him) after flirting all season and Jenny learn of it (I think Louis tell her). They break up first episode season 2 but Rachel and Mike only truly start dating last episode season 2/first season 3.

The season 7 end up last night at the us with Mike and Rachel character leaving the show :

Spoiler

They got married and leave to seattle running a firm that focus on taking big bad guys that hurt people for free.

6 hours ago, Ainee Etp said:

I am now so TEMPTED to watch US version, cause it's a painful 6 days until next episode.

I wouldn't for you because the us version hurt this one very mutch for me. I would advice to watch this one first then the us one.

I finally watched episode 2 with sub (I didn't want to talk about it with only episode 1 because he wasn't enough yet) and I am the only one who feel that Park Hyung-sik hair is like that because Patrick J. Adams has the same as Mike ? They problably did it to with Jang Dong-gun but I see it less.

Basically, I am a little disapointed with the show as of now :

-The first bad thing is that it's too similar from the original and that force me, someone who watch all the us episode, to compare the two.

-The bromance is not there yet (they were already joking together at the end of episode 1 is the us show).

-DH is clearly not Donna.

-I don't like what they did with GS the korean Louis. In the us version, the guy can't betray the firm and think of Harvey as his friend (Louis sister say that because Louis think of Harvey as his best friend, Harvey barelly think of him as one) and there he even seem to have a crush on HY.

-stroppyse is right about Jin Hee-kyung casting choice but HY character doesn't have a little bit of the charisma of Jessica (well Gina Torres was so amazing that they transform a male role to a female one for her).

-I found those two episodes slow. It's longer than the us version but two episodes give us less than the us pilot.

-I didn't like the melo music.

The only thing I like more than the us version is that they try fast to make YW a lawyer and make the thing legal.

I like JN/YW too (well a little) but not as mutch as Mike/Rachel yet.

39 minutes ago, yusefull said:

Reveal hidden contents

They got married and leave to seattle running a firm that focus on taking big bad guys that hurt people for free.

I finally watched episode 2 with sub (I didn't want to talk about it with only episode 1 because he wasn't enough yet) and I am the only one who feel that Park Hyung-sik hair is like that because Patrick J. Adams has the same as Mike ? They problably did it to with Jang Dong-gun but I see it less.

Basically, I am a little disapointed with the show as of now :

-The first bad thing is that it's too similar from the original and that force me, someone who watch all the us episode, to compare the two.

-The bromance is not there yet (they were already joking together at the end of episode 1 is the us show).

-DH is clearly not Donna.

-I don't like what they did with GS the korean Louis. In the us version, the guy can't betray the firm and think of Harvey as his friend (Louis sister say that because Louis think of Harvey as his best friend, Harvey barelly think of him as one) and there he even seem to have a crush on HY.

-stroppyse is right about Jin Hee-kyung casting choice but HY character doesn't have a little bit of the charisma of Jessica (well Gina Torres was so amazing that they transform a male role to a female one for her).

-I found those two episodes slow. It's longer than the us version but two episodes give us less than the us pilot.

-I didn't like the melo music.

The only thing I like more than the us version is that they try fast to make YW a lawyer and make the thing legal.

I like JN/YW too (well a little) but not as mutch as Mike/Rachel yet.

Usually for adaptations, especially on network Korean shows they get newbie writers, so the writer usually, especially for the first 4 episodes has to show they can pace a show well, which means pulling from the original source material. Korea seems to be strict that way. I've only seen one instance of a newbie writer writing so well that the director and PD bend to her will rather than the other way around. (Radiant Office). I've also watched a ton of dramas...

I think the bromance will come if they ever start mentioning movies back and forth a bit more. I'm not pleased with the text in the background every time facts are said--it's going to get old on screen. I have a feeling, though it's a director/PD, not writer idea. Writers are often trained to trust their audience more, while directors and PDs don't tend to.

DH needs to up her nunchi level to be Donna. Her charisma on screen isn't quite there... Donna has in Korean terms a super nunchi. She absolutely said in a more recent episode that the reason that Harvey put her in her position was her ability to read people. The writer needs to up that.

The Korean Louis is falling short in a few ways--1. His obsession with cats has turned to an orange Tetra, which is improperly housed, so I can't believe he's obsessed with fish. Louis is quirky and Harvey kinda has this "I want to prank" you look on his face, especially in the early episodes, but I don't get that feeling from the Korean version.

Usually Korean plot structure is stretched over 2 episodes, but again, as I said, probably a new Korean writer too, who is forced to write to what the producer, studio, director and network want to prove they can do basics of pacing, etc, which also means less sparkle of creativity/leniency on dialogue, etc. (There isn't much that's very creative about the dialogue.)

I did notice some of the music cues are meant to sound like the original. I'm expecting them to makjang it more because it's Korea, though I'd like them to keep some of the playful highbrow humor. I don't expect the writing banter of the original, though since the writer is probably a n00b, so it doesn't sparkle yet.

If you don't understand this, King of Dramas gives a really good run down in an amusing way about how K-dramas are made. So worth watching.

Archived