[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Joy of Life 庆余年

sugarplum892

On 8/6/2020 at 1:30 PM, Seonhoyaa said:

One of the best shows i've ever watched in my life. I regret watching it now though as i've to wait for 2 years now :(. Why didn't they make this show their priority and filmed all the seasons in one go. i'm sure it's the best project in all the peoples involved filmography. 

Because they contracted the writer (and he works alone iirc) for I think 6 projects, I don't know if separate season count as different projects either lol. But so far he's done 3, 4 if we count JoL s2. He likely started writing for JoL when it was airing. It's pretty on schedule at the moment. Half a year for script, half a year for pre-production (set, costume, actor scheduling especially), half a year filming, half a year post-production + getting NRTA + lining for airing. pre-production could overlap somewhat with script, and post production and stuff could take a year-ish.

On 8/6/2020 at 10:21 PM, Seonhoyaa said:

So he's done shooting Perfect Evidence and The Fated General?! I saw it in his MDL's page.

Do you mean it's might not be released in 2022? 

Fated General was filmed before JoL s1 I think, Perfect Evidence was filmed last year. JoL s2 should be prioritised after Sword Snow Stride.

1 hour ago, Seonhoyaa said:

I think i can't move on. Is there a place where i can find all the BTS of the show?!  

https://www.bilibili.com/video/av45429190? slide the blue slider under the video to turn off the rolling comments, there's no subs though. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

• 1 month later...

I finally got around finish watching  this drama. Wow wow wow! This drama is so fascinating from mid way onwards. The starting was funny and intriguing etc... but mid way is the part where it draws the viewers into the conspiracy of the court. Once i started it, i couldn't stop. It's so addictive and keep me wanting to know more.

The 2nd Prince is evil. After watching it, i feel that Yan decided to help Fanxian out of his predicament. Im not sure how he can stage the killing of FX with the sword that went through. If FX dies in front of 2nd Prince right hand man, the prince will release the kid, the brother and the teacher as they are now of no value to the Prince.  I'm sure FX didn't die as he is the ML of the drama. 

The sad part was FX watching all those people who is good at heart die for their beliefs in the end just because they are just pawns of the chess game. How everything connects finally when he learned that he is also a Prince ... that's why the king always have him together with the other princes. The king even said "ok u 3 brothers discuss among yourselves, "

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• 4 weeks later...

I really cannot wait for the 2nd season. I hope ALL of the original casts stays. Even XZ.

Personally, I actually thought XZ is one of the weak link among the casts. I mean, I only know ZRY, CDM, LQ and YQ - who are well known for their crafts, but I thought the others especially those playing supporting characters gave solid performances that FX does not feel over the top. However, it may also be because of the way his character was written. Anyhow, sometimes I thought XZ was playing Lan Wangji instead of YBY...

The other weak link is the archer-general. He's quite pretty, but meh...

That AO3 thing wasn't XZ's fault and so it would be quite sad to see him off the cast list because of that.

• Like 3

Cannot wait for season 2!! I hope XZ returns too, even if his character isn't big and he gets killed off. Just excited how season 2 is gonna be like, with all the twists already coming into play!!! I already forgot the plot. 

But someone wants to kill the ML, right????

• Like 2

On 10/24/2020 at 2:34 PM, dzareth said:

That AO3 thing wasn't XZ's fault and so it would be quite sad to see him off the cast list because of that.

It's way way waaaaaay beyond Ao3 now and it's not just his fandom that's the issue now, it's his team consistently go with worst possible PR tactics AND continue to muffle people that dislike him  or boycott him for various reasons.

As for JoL, I really don't want him to return, because in s1 his fans and certain marketing tactic (not sure if his company or is it tencent) overtook the drama discussion at some point, even when he hasn't showed up. Immediately after Ao3 incident, JoL was trending on douban because it was being downvoted by angry people (note that his fans, i'm not sure if they were real or fake, chinese fandoms are as complicated as a spy network, have also previously downvoted the drama cos fandom kerfuffle). Thankfully, this was quickly remedied by lot of other people upvoting as a counter tactic, and JoL actually got to 8.0 due to that. Several other works that XZ was main cast for was also trending, then suddenly those were gone, the scores were locked, but JoL stayed the entire time. I don't know who did it, but it was gross, if massive votes triggered a protective mechanism,  or if his company or tencent or whoever wanted to lock things till people calm down, why the hell did JoL stayed? He wasn't even the main cast in JoL in the first place.

I mention this not saying that particular incident was XZ's fault, it's just a side effect, although I think he and his team have plenty other stuff to be responsible for. But I want to make it clear to international audience, that kind of side effect x 100 will happen if he stays on the cast. He'd be overpromoted as he had been before, there's been previous report that JoL was a double male lead drama which is laughable (and I really hope it's not by his marketing team cos it's far away from the truth and attracted way more negative attention than positive). There's a lot of people that dislike him, due to misguiding kids and teens into spending excessive money on digital EP, due to faking charity and using charity as a way to come back, due to his lackluster acting but fans won't let you comment on it, due to his fans disrupting complete strangers' lives (harrassing and doxxing people that don't like him, graffting in public places and retired fighter jets, abusing the report button because how dare you don't like him). There's been so. many. little. incidents. You think they are done, there's something new, it honestly amaze me how much ire they attract every time and how wide reaching it could be. Some of it isn't unique to him, but present amongst lot of other idol's/young actor's fandom cricle, but his is most excessive I've seen and representative, AND he has some hilariously unique stuff, like international fandom mischaracterising late Feb/early March as "the government banned him cos he was in a BL drama"????? Excuse me, no? It's a consumer boycott? because report abuse?

At the end of the day, I want JoL to do well. Now, a significant portion of general audience will look at everything XZ touches under a microsope/boycott it. Even if it airs okay, it's going to be a headache inducing fandom wise, and may overtook discussion of the actual drama. Not to mention, yeah he's one of the weaker links of the drama (the lighting and sometimes styling department too!) and he's not that central to the drama, so I rather say bye to him. Even if he was one of the more important supporting roles, I'd rather him gone. RIP to anyone that might have to replace him though. Of course, I'll probably still watch it even if he's in it, I'd just lot more anxious how many things could go wrong.

On 10/25/2020 at 1:14 PM, stella77 said:

I need to know if Li Qin is also returning!? Can’t wait! 

The rumour mills indicate she is, she just had other obligations that day. I think she (or was it ZRY) mentioned that they'll definitely collaborate again, which should be JoL s2. I'm curious if Chen Daoming (emperor) and Wu Gang (Chen Pingping) are returning, I don't think they are busy at the moment, fingers crossed.

The rumour filming date i'm getting is like March next year which is bit later than I expected. Wang Juan, pls write s3 asap so they can film it together.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 2

@skibbies Woah... that is a really long post you have there. I didn't realize there were several other issues other than the Ao3 thing, but I genuinely think JoL was a gem of a show and would love for it to continue being a stellar production in S2.

Do we know if there will be a cast change for YBY?

• Like 2

First of all, let me clarify I am just a casual fan of Xiao Zhan from watching his acting in The Untamed. After the drama ended, I haven’t been following his activities so I did some research on the incidents cited.

While it is true that some of Xiao Zhan’s fans had incurred the public’s anger with their thoughtless and damaging actions, I think we should be careful of spreading all the negative news as truth unless they had been verified. Was there actual evidence that Xiao Zhan’s fans had faked charity donations? 

It isn’t really fair to hold him entirely accountable for his fans’ actions although one can argue he can provide guidance. Stardom had come to him very suddenly and unfortunately a large segment of his newly acquired fans seems to be immature and rabid. Even if he tells his fans what to do, they may not necessarily listen. The graffiti could have been done by one thoughtless or mischievous fan or it could even be a case of sabotage by people who don’t like Xiao Zhan.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, dzareth said:

@skibbies Woah... that is a really long post you have there. I didn't realize there were several other issues other than the Ao3 thing, but I genuinely think JoL was a gem of a show and would love for it to continue being a stellar production in S2.

Do we know if there will be a cast change for YBY?

I could type you essays for it haha. I didn't really want to get into it because it's so long and roundabout and kind of derail discussions.

No, and I doubt we'll know till it starts filming or even nearly done filming. They'll keep it tightly wrapped, regardless if there's a cast change, the production team is going to have their hands full dealing with fans when it comes to YBY.

6 hours ago, bluehibiscus said:

First of all, let me clarify I am just a casual fan of Xiao Zhan from watching his acting in The Untamed. After the drama ended, I haven’t been following his activities so I did some research on the incidents cited.

While it is true that some of Xiao Zhan’s fans had incurred the public’s anger with their thoughtless and damaging actions, I think we should be careful of spreading all the negative news as truth unless they had been verified. Was there actual evidence that Xiao Zhan’s fans had faked charity donations? 

It isn’t really fair to hold him entirely accountable for his fans’ actions although one can argue he can provide guidance. Stardom had come to him very suddenly and unfortunately a large portion of his newly acquired fans seem to be immature and rabid. Even if he tells his fans what to do, they may not necessarily listen. The graffiti could have been done by one thoughtless or mischievous fan or it could even be a case of sabotage by people who don’t like Xiao Zhan.

I've also watched Untamed and think he did a pretty good job in it but he was rather lackluster in JoL.

First of all, his fans and cp fans (with WYB) have done charity and I applaud them for it. As for what I'm talking about, it's late March/early April where they *claim* they were doing charity but it was simply reblogging the post or spreading the news they've helped reduce poverty in certain place when another celebrity have been doing it for a long time (so some people see it as stealing charity effort). It's not exactly fake charity per se, but it is misleading, apologies for the unclear wording. I think it's great if they were simply spreading awareness but they were using charity as a comeback tactic that some people are rather ticked off by (He's not the only one that does it though). 

I didn't really hold him responsible initially, I did expect him to tell people stop, if he did it then he wouldn't have so many people that dislike him, because everyone have crazy fans. Hell WYB was in a motorcycle accident not too long ago in a competition, his fans were extremely angry and cussing people out since they thought it was intentional, and he told his fans he'll handle it himself, I wish XZ had went that way you know? If he was bothered by a fic, he could have taken legal action or ask the author to take it down, that's fully understandable. He didn't know, his fans were bothered, then they could have told his company about it or ask the author to take it down or idk have a fanwar, not abuse the report button. This is not the first time nor the last time they did it, they also did it again to professors after Ao3 because the professors commented on the issue. His fans really need to stick it in their head, discussion of a social issue is not personal! 

On the graffti, it's not one fan, it's bunch of them and it's combined with other fans gathering to celebrate his birthday (event organised by his brand endorsement but later cancelled). It's fine that they gather to celebrate, not really fine to go into other people's art school (not even the one he graduated from nor where the event was held) and making a mess. It later turned into a huge fight between art school students and fans. Fandom in China is complicated, they are often controlled or guided by companies behind the stars through lot of big fans (It's been portrayed in Brightest Star in the Sky & We are All Alone). His fans in particular isn't really one fan or one incident, it's persistent large group of fans, over a long period of time, affecting people that really doesn't have anything to do with Chinese celebrity fandom. His boom to popularity heavily relied on fans, it's why nobody in China buys that he's not responsible for his fans. You can't have your popularity and nice things (such as donations by cp fans) but refuse to tell them to stop when they go over the line.

I will note that his company did issue a statement on March 1st but it was more like trying to shift everyone's attention to COVID, it didn't mention those most heavily affected nor Ao3, most importantly, it was just a non-apology. He did come out and apologise but it was to a well known host that was affected during some fanwar in late April (fans vs antis, not other people's fans). The first time he mentioned relationship with his fans was in a video around May? and said he didn't believe in "managing fans", no one wanted you to manage your fans, some guidance would be nice. It also ring extremely hollow when this was after his big fans encouraged other fans (including teenagers and kids) to buy 100+ copies of his EP per person and several incidents of teachers promoting him in class which caused huge uproar, to some it seems like a weak PR save and it didn't work at all. (Multiple copies purchase have happened with other idols, but this is first time I've seen such large number, but I'm not super familiar with idols either so feel free to correct me.)

Then there's the fact that they nuked hundreds of tags on weibo, even if I'm willing to believe that Ao3 related tags were nuked due to it being in the gray area in China, a lot of tags nuked really really have nothing against the law, such as Joy of Life Yan Bingyun (this wasn't recent nuke by the way). Usually that means someone paid large sum of money to weibo to have it nuked (this is simply a guess, but fandom take it as open secret), just like you can pay to trend on weibo (this is commonly accepted and known on c!net, not just fandom, it's a common marketing tactic). People have also gotten their accounts nuked (not banned, nuked, the entire account and past messages all gone) or muted for a month due to this, some of it I understand as they might be rather rude or spreading unconfirmed unsavory rumours, but some are really really mild and just discussing the issue or reposting lot of boycott stuff. This is probably not a company issue, but fans reporting and weibo just nuke accounts (some guess that in order to keep a good working relationship with celebs, weibo also nuke accounts that they choose, but this is unconfirmed. I think it's more likely due to large number of fans reporting?) 

I've watched this unfold over the last 8 months, live on weibo and douban, so that's where I source it, some of it live (douban scores, nuked tags, trending topics, nuked accounts), sometimes there's videos (news about high school kid overspending on EP, birthday gathering), sometimes it's screencaps. I can't promise all of it is real, and I've tried to avoid mentioning the more conspiracy-y rumours that float around and common fandom tactics (antis pretending to be fans, faking incidents, company guided fanwars turning cp fans into only fans) that makes it more confusing, it's mostly big incidents that have extremely wide reach online that caused non-fandom general public turn sour on him. If you want source, I can give you some keywords for incidents in Chinese, news reports sometimes lean one way or another, or give you a handy timeline that note events up till late June from the boycott side in Chinese (I know about 90% of the events but some of them wouldn't have news reports since there's lot of small stuff on various platforms, including harrassment or doxxing of some weibo users).

I'm sure there's antis and other people helping to sabotage him at the same time, but I really don't think they are the majority. Some of his fans might as well be antis seriously, insisting people criticising a drama (about the director and scriptwriter) are antis, shifting half the angry netizen's ire onto him, when he was only a guest role of less than 3 minutes, in a 20 ep drama! Anyways, I typed up the previous and this post not saying that he sucks and everything is his fault, simply just because I want to indicate that having him on the cast would cause lot more issues than benefits in the domestic market, it's a much much higher cost than international audience believe.

• Insightful 2

@skibbiesSurely you have written an essay for XZ lol, and they are really open my eyes. Never been really clear about his accident until i read yours.

Well if XZ is not coming back as YBY in JoL2, then like you said, the successor actor will have a miserable fate. He will endlessly being compared with XZ. Dont know who want to accept that fate. So i think it is better with XZ stay as YBY? With or without him, JoL 2 will always stay related with him. And yeah WYB is better in handling fans matters than XZ, i think it is also because WYB is a straightforward man, so his fans will know when he dislike or like things done by his fans. 

I really hope the cast from JoL 1 will return to JoL 2, as weak points or strong points, let them be, i think because we have already get used with them, and hopefully the weak ones will get better on S2. As for the lightings and make up, oh please get a better one!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, tothestars said:

@skibbies Well if XZ is not coming back as YBY in JoL2, then like you said, the successor actor will have a miserable fate. He will endlessly being compared with XZ. Dont know who want to accept that fate.

The comparison may go in a reverse way, though. As many have agreed, XZ's performance in JoL was quite weak. I've seen other actors who might give a stronger performance. However, it is also not a big loss for XZ if he is replaced in S2. After all, he played a leading role in TU, whereas in JoL, YBY isn't exactly a main lead. I'm positive XZ will continue getting lead roles in other dramas.

Against ZRY, I initially thought XZ was a mismatched. I don't know their ages, but FX and YBY were supposed to be the same age. It doesn't appear that way in JoL.

Had I read JoL before watching the drama series, even ZRY wasn't how I imagine FX would look like. But since he is FX, I would imagine YBY as someone who looks more similar... maybe someone like Shawn Dou? Side-by-side I would believe they age the same.

I do hope LQ would be able to make it. I recently saw her in the Covid drama With You, and I'm surprised at how short her character looked... She always look quite tall to my eyes..

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, dzareth said:

The comparison may go in a reverse way, though. As many have agreed, XZ's performance in JoL was quite weak. I've seen other actors who might give a stronger performance. However, it is also not a big loss for XZ if he is replaced in S2. After all, he played a leading role in TU, whereas in JoL, YBY isn't exactly a main lead. I'm positive XZ will continue getting lead roles in other dramas.

Against ZRY, I initially thought XZ was a mismatched. I don't know their ages, but FX and YBY were supposed to be the same age. It doesn't appear that way in JoL.

Had I read JoL before watching the drama series, even ZRY wasn't how I imagine FX would look like. But since he is FX, I would imagine YBY as someone who looks more similar... maybe someone like Shawn Dou? Side-by-side I would believe they age the same.

I do hope LQ would be able to make it. I recently saw her in the Covid drama With You, and I'm surprised at how short her character looked... She always look quite tall to my eyes..

Yeah i think i get your point. About their age differences, XZ is only 3 years younger than ZRY, so it should not be an issue, but like most people think, XZ did not successfull shaping YBY character back then, maybe because he was more focus on The Untamed, i heard that he worked for 2 project at that time (JoL and The Untamed).

So, added to your recommendation for YBY's actor, i think actors for YBY will be like yes Shawn Dou, next might be Jing BoRan, Chen Xiao or maybe Chen Xing Xu is also okay although he is more younger than XZ, but he has a mature appearance. But they are all senior actors, so role YBY is just too minor for them, so... They might find from some new actors with older age. I dont know whether they will keep YBY character or not, since he will have a quite important part in the next chapter, or maybe they will transfer it to other role.

I think we'll see in the pers conference yeah?

• Like 1

On 10/28/2020 at 10:30 PM, tothestars said:

@skibbiesSurely you have written an essay for XZ lol, and they are really open my eyes. Never been really clear about his accident until i read yours.

Well if XZ is not coming back as YBY in JoL2, then like you said, the successor actor will have a miserable fate. He will endlessly being compared with XZ. Dont know who want to accept that fate. So i think it is better with XZ stay as YBY? With or without him, JoL 2 will always stay related with him. And yeah WYB is better in handling fans matters than XZ, i think it is also because WYB is a straightforward man, so his fans will know when he dislike or like things done by his fans. 

I really hope the cast from JoL 1 will return to JoL 2, as weak points or strong points, let them be, i think because we have already get used with them, and hopefully the weak ones will get better on S2. As for the lightings and make up, oh please get a better one!

I ramble a lot, and it's so hard to stop hahaha. Chinese fandom is also pretty different, and general public deals with overpormotion and having people/things shove down your throat so some of that also backfired.

I've actually seen some Chinese fans mention they could just kill the character off, which would be a shame since I rather liked the character on paper. From book readers, his role seems important but might not actually need that much scenes, it depends how scriptwriter adapt it. Either relatively unknown newbies who have a strong heart or someone reasonably popular that have some fans that can deal with fanwars (and likely have some help from passerby) could work. It's very difficult to outperform your predecessor, but in this case, I think doing alright could work. 

2 hours ago, dzareth said:

There's three years difference between them I think, so it's not that big. Shawn Dou is the same age as ZRY, so that's a good match, you are right, they seem to fit more. I doubt they could get Shawn Dou though, mhmm.

LQ is 166cm according to her wiki, even if it might be overestimated, she's still average height I think. Might be because Deng Lun is just tall? 184cm apparently. I'm so glad someone watched With You as well!! I really liked it :D

44 minutes ago, tothestars said:

Yeah i think i get your point. About their age differences, XZ is only 3 years younger than ZRY, so it should not be an issue, but like most people think, XZ did not successfull shaping YBY character back then, maybe because he was more focus on The Untamed, i heard that he worked for 2 project at that time (JoL and The Untamed).

So, added to your recommendation for YBY's actor, i think actors for YBY will be like yes Shawn Dou, next might be Jing BoRan, Chen Xiao or maybe Chen Xing Xu is also okay although he is more younger than XZ, but he has a mature appearance. But they are all senior actors, so role YBY is just too minor for them, so... They might find from some new actors with older age. I dont know whether they will keep YBY character or not, since he will have a quite important part in the next chapter, or maybe they will transfer it to other role.

I think we'll see in the pers conference yeah?

He filmed JoL first, I think it was his first big project, some of the behind the scenes you can see the director teaching him step by step.

Chen Xingxu is pretty good choice I think but yeah he's couple years younger. He has lead roles but major supporting roles in a big drama would be helpful. I've seen rec for Young Blood's second male lead, Wang Kuan who's real name is Wang Youshuo, but I'm not sure if the role would get to relative newbie like him. I saw Xu Kai in the rumour mill, I haven't seen any of his dramas though, but I know he's decent and fairly popular.

• Love 1

57 minutes ago, skibbies said:

Chen Xingxu is pretty good choice I think but yeah he's couple years younger. He has lead roles but major supporting roles in a big drama would be helpful. I've seen rec for Young Blood's second male lead, Wang Kuan who's real name is Wang Youshuo, but I'm not sure if the role would get to relative newbie like him. I saw Xu Kai in the rumour mill, I haven't seen any of his dramas though, but I know he's decent and fairly popular.

Wang YouShuo i like him, i have watched him in Young Blood and current airing RuYi Pavillion, not bad really, he acted two different character, while YBY is more to Wang Kuan, smart and calm. About Xu Kai i think i read somewhere that the producer or the director has announced that Xu Kai is not listed in JoL 2. 

1 hour ago, skibbies said:

I've actually seen some Chinese fans mention they could just kill the character off, which would be a shame since I rather liked the character on paper. From book readers, his role seems important but might not actually need that much scenes, it depends how scriptwriter adapt it. Either relatively unknown newbies who have a strong heart or someone reasonably popular that have some fans that can deal with fanwars (and likely have some help from passerby) could work. It's very difficult to outperform your predecessor, but in this case, I think doing alright could work. 

Hopefully they will not kill the character off, replace with other actor will be nice, if a senior actor like shawn dou willing to take YBY, i think he can have the "Special Guest Appearance" title than the "Support Role" title. Btw when you said about "someone reasonably popular that have some fans that can deal with fanwars", suddenly Wang Kai popped out from my mind, he really successfully handle his fans wisely.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, tothestars said:

Wang YouShuo i like him, i have watched him in Young Blood and current airing RuYi Pavillion, not bad really, he acted two different character, while YBY is more to Wang Kuan, smart and calm. About Xu Kai i think i read somewhere that the producer or the director has announced that Xu Kai is not listed in JoL 2. 

Hopefully they will not kill the character off, replace with other actor will be nice, if a senior actor like shawn dou willing to take YBY, i think he can have the "Special Guest Appearance" title than the "Support Role" title. Btw when you said about "someone reasonably popular that have some fans that can deal with fanwars", suddenly Wang Kai popped out from my mind, he really successfully handle his fans wisely.

Xu Kai have plenty of lead roles as well so either way would make sense. Wang Kai is fantastic but he's even more unlikely than Shawn Dou IMO? Mostly because he has pretty good big projects with a very good production team (Daylight), I mean they have a variety of roles and almost guaranteed nominations with their projects, which even Xinli (this production company) with backing of Tencent can't promise. He's actually 6 years older than ZRY, same age as Hu Ge. I liked how he handled his fans, but his fans kind of scared me this year when Serenade of Peaceful Joy was airing LOL. They were very rabid and will rip people that didn't like his Emperor/criticise the rather problematic writing/adaptation, the douban discussion was unreadable.

• Love 1

I think Wang Kai is a bit too strong of a YBY. If YBY is supposed to be at the same leading level as FX, maybe. But I think WK's star power is too strong these days?

Wow, I didn't know that Shawn Dou is quite big these days. I was thinking about some who looks at par with ZRY. IMHO, ZRY has such an exotic look as opposed to the typical Chinese lead. His skin tone is darker and those tick lips are rare! I didn't really have much idea about other actors with a darker skin tone. I've only watched SD in T&E, so I thought they would match. Or get someone who is less pretty and more manly.

My opinion about SD as YBY is purely based on physical compatibility with ZRY. I do not know his other works. But ZRY has one of the most interesting resume in recent years.

• Like 2