[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Joy of Life 庆余年

sugarplum892

10 hours ago, epinklyn said:

Fanmade video: The story of Ye QingMei.

Starring:

Ye QingMei - Sandrine Pinna (Once upon a time in Ling Jian Mountain)

Young Emperor - Zhang RuoYun (Novoland the Castle in the Sky)

Fan Jian - Liu HaoRan (Novoland Eagle Flag)

Chen PingPing - Xu Kai (the Legends)

https://video.h5.weibo.cn/1034:4466523381628975/4466525525908764

Credit as tagged.

thank you ! it's a such well made fan vid. one of my wish is somewhat see interaction between mom and fx's "dads". really bittersweet and heartbreaking.  no one is plain hero or villain. everyone had legit reason for doing things.  i would say,, if i must point who is the most responsible for all the tragedy, i would say ye qing mei for pushing all those modern ideas and revolution too quickly to an unprepared society. it's too naive on her part. but i understand why she did like that. she wouldn't be Ye Qing Mei otherwise. if i were her, in same situation, i too probably would want to doing things same as her.

and I wowed on how different ruoyun as young DadEmperor vs as Fan Xian. even the aura and mannerism were so different!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 1/29/2020 at 8:12 PM, dzareth said:

@MaySenpai33, do spoil me about lord shadow. Did FJ really unmasked him in the book? Does he goes around unmasked in his real identity?

Which side of the fence do the divisions of CPP's organisation stand at?

Shadow:

Spoiler

He is actually SuGu jian’s younger brother. We all know Sugu is a grand master but the story is he killed his entire family for bullying him when he was young. He was actually considered a dumb kid and the family always treated him bad except the shadow younger brother. Ye Qingmei and Wuzhu Met sugu when he was young and taught him the grandmaster ways. And the little brother was taught by sugu since the little bro was always good to Sugu. 

But one day Sugu wanted revenge on the family and killed everyone but let his younger brother go. His younger brother was hurt but saved by CPP and he vowed revenge on Sugu Jian. Of course he was saved when Ye Qingmei was alive and Wu Zhu was also the commissioner of the council so the shadow always admired Wu Zhu for his strength. 

In the book, the shadow disguised himself often and rarely shows his real face. He is also considered by Sugu the first real disciple of the Sugu arts. 

• Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

What I am most curious about is if the drama will end with a harem ending. 

In the book, Fan xian and wan’er were both fully aware of the other’s feelings and intentions. Wan’er was incredibly mature and acknowledge that there may be other women in his life. She isn’t heartbroken about it either, more so just mad at Fan Xian’s actions. She made it clear to him to not chase or play with the other women’s feelings if he is not serious about them. 

Keep in mind that in that ‘time period’, polygamy was normal. Since Fan Xian was especially of noble descent, all the women are aware of each other and no one shows vindictive jealousy. I like all the female characters in the book and I can see different types of chemistry between all the women and Fan xian. And they are ALL ESSENTIAL to the plot. It’s  like the Deer and the Cauldron where the lead has multiple wives and everyone is harmonious. 

But i dont think a harem will happen ‘officially’ since I don’t think Fan xian will marry multiple women. He may only have wan’er as a wife but I am still unsure if any romantic moments will happen with the other females like in the book. The book ended openly with regards to his ‘future wives’ and the drama might follow suit 

• Love 1
  • Insightful 1

6 hours ago, MaySenpai33 said:

Shadow:

Reveal hidden contents

He is actually SuGu jian’s younger brother. We all know Sugu is a grand master but the story is he killed his entire family for bullying him when he was young. He was actually considered a dumb kid and the family always treated him bad except the shadow younger brother. Ye Qingmei and Wuzhu Met sugu when he was young and taught him the grandmaster ways. And the little brother was taught by sugu since the little bro was always good to Sugu. 

But one day Sugu wanted revenge on the family and killed everyone but let his younger brother go. His younger brother was hurt but saved by CPP and he vowed revenge on Sugu Jian. Of course he was saved when Ye Qingmei was alive and Wu Zhu was also the commissioner of the council so the shadow always admired Wu Zhu for his strength. 

In the book, the shadow disguised himself often and rarely shows his real face. He is also considered by Sugu the first real disciple of the Sugu arts. 

Aaaaaa..... No wonder WZ was able to

Spoiler

Imitate SGJ's art when they brome into the palace..... 

Thanks again @MaySenpai33

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dzareth said:

Aaaaaa..... No wonder WZ was able to

Hide contents

Imitate SGJ's art when they brome into the palace..... 

Thanks again @MaySenpai33

Ah yeahhh i forgot about this too! 

Thx @MaySenpai33! I have another question though

Spoiler

1. Does Ye QingMei have more than one book about grandmaster's ways? So Si GuJian and Ku He has learned from the same book or different books from the Temple? And also the emperor, i forgot whether you have told about him, have the emperor also learn the grandmaster's ways book from Ye QingMei?

2. About Wu Zhu, was he a robot that invented by Ye QingMei?

8 hours ago, MaySenpai33 said:

In the book, Fan xian and wan’er were both fully aware of the other’s feelings and intentions. Wan’er was incredibly mature and acknowledge that there may be other women in his life. She isn’t heartbroken about it either, more so just mad at Fan Xian’s actions. She made it clear to him to not chase or play with the other women’s feelings if he is not serious about them. 

Keep in mind that in that ‘time period’, polygamy was normal. Since Fan Xian was especially of noble descent, all the women are aware of each other and no one shows vindictive jealousy. I like all the female characters in the book and I can see different types of chemistry between all the women and Fan xian. And they are ALL ESSENTIAL to the plot. It’s  like the Deer and the Cauldron where the lead has multiple wives and everyone is harmonious. 

But i dont think a harem will happen ‘officially’ since I don’t think Fan xian will marry multiple women. He may only have wan’er as a wife but I am still unsure if any romantic moments will happen with the other females like in the book. The book ended openly with regards to his ‘future wives’ and the drama might follow suit 

I think China Censorship doesnt ban harem thing, and it is a common thing in ancient drama, a hero has so many girls like him and around him everywhere, like you said Deer and the Cauldron, Zhu LiuXiang, Yang Guo, Zhang WuJi, etc.. 

And since S1's story is different with the novel but still faithfull with the main plot, so the S2 might follow the same path. About the necessity adding more cast for the harem thing, it still has a chance. We'll see!

• Like 1

I just finish watching this drama, i must say i'm impressed that everyone has their own story and not just pawn that get killed. each has their own ideas and ideology and they fight it out instead just getting slaughtered by main character. 

I must say in term of politics this is the first time i see a well written one. any other tv series like this ? 

Everyone saying CPP is really bad, but i like him the most. I think he is the most loneliest one. 

I watch Novoland eagle flag, and i want to spit blood seeing the mc behaviour. in wuxia light novel he is the most annoying kind of mc. keep hesitating, get nothing done, and do nothing in the end. i love eagle flag war part,, but aside from that the series is totally trash. If this Joy of life have war part like eagle flag. then it would be the most perfect story i have watch so far.

Oh and about harem, i love it, in modern story i would prefer monogamy, but it's historical fiction why cant we see it. i love seeing main character get beating and scolding from his wives. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

On 2/3/2020 at 1:00 PM, angelangie said:

to me Harem is very vast and i think so far only the King is entitle to have 'Harem' :D hahahah a very very big one infact :D 

I think the modern usage of "harem" probably came from J pop culture (manga etc) about a male protagonist with many lovers.  

We use the term "reverse harem" to refer to a woman who has many admirers/lovers like in Scarlet Heart.

The original term was used the Indian subcontinent to designate the female space in a household.

While I think Joy of Life is one of the best C dramas I've ever watched... the writing and acting are just top-notch... I'm going to stop at the part where FX leaves for the north and pick it up again when the second series is made and shown.

I've been burnt too many times by incomplete dramas.

This is a truly great drama... every minute of every moment counts. I never FF through anything. I can't say that about every drama that I've seen. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

On 2/2/2020 at 6:44 AM, MaySenpai33 said:

It's not. In the book, FX have a concubine that he's known since he was little, the character was completely deleted. The writer will probably go for 1v1, because the set up is FX have modern values, it'd be incredibly hypocrytical for him to proclaim everyone is equal and have concubines. Concubines aren't equal in status to wives, they can be freely sold or given like property. It would also chase off big portion of the audience, even if they don't care about the romance because it goes against modern sensibilities. 

I don't really like Lin Wan'er as a love interest, even though I fully get why FX does. Duo Duo is more my type but I actually would love for FX to keep a platonic friendship because it would be refreshing! Adventuring/Cooperating as friends yes please. Si Lili have her own journey and considerations, Zhan Doudou is more like she admires him and think he's interesting, but she's not going to give up anything to be with him or anything. They can all fulfill their roles without getting into romance. Not to mentiom, Wang Juan isn't actually that great at writing too much romance, if other people write them, we might have pacing issues. 

On 2/7/2020 at 3:29 PM, Bonardo said:

I must say in term of politics this is the first time i see a well written one. any other tv series like this ? 

I didn't feel it was overly political tbh, we barely started. The Rise of Phoenix (netflix, slow and long with fantastic characters but suffer from pacing issues and lackluster ending, if you can get into it, you'll love it but not everyone can), Qin Empire: Alliance (netflix, might be bit dry? you might want to look at a map of warring kingdom period first), Advisor Alliance (it's split into two dramas for I think length reasons, set in Three Kingdoms period, it will help and be more interesting if you know it, but should be easy to follow and fun to watch without), Three Kingdoms (really long epic that incorporate the novel Romance of Three Kingdoms and history, probably bit dry), Nirvana in Fire (the politics can be a little lofty but I loved the ideals behind the drama).

I don't know if you can get into any of it since political dramas are often hard to get into, JoL made it really easy to get into. Not a political drama, more adventurey one, but share similar sense of humour and decent char building for even minor characters would be JoL's scriptwriter's Young Blood. It's fairly light and easy to get into, but still being fansubbed. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

It's me again, slowly rewatching the whole thing...actually, I was a bit confused by the Chengze's reaction to Fan Xian's poem on the first poerty gathering. Seems like it felt like somehow personal to him.

@MaySenpai33, could you please tell if the second prince

Spoiler

is from another timeline or its just my paranoid brain? :D

• LOL 2