[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Joy of Life 庆余年

sugarplum892

@rosierosie The ending is drama original and YBY is I think part of FX's little group (as they discussed in the drama) so s2 is decently important role I think? 

The main cast dubbed themselves, as requested by the director, but some supporting cast have dubbers (YBY, Yan Xiaoyi the archer guy for example). 

Ohoh I really liked the weird dancing scene in ep 45, it was hilarious. I was so confused, "is this romanti--oh I guess not, what are you two doing?"

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

What a review @skibbies! I cant write that kind comprehensive review. 

Really i cant imagine to have a life like FX, treat like a puppet and bait by his own father, and surrounded with so complicated people to achieve their own goal. Thankfully FX also surrounded with people who really care although they are not related with blood with him, such an irony.

37 minutes ago, rosierosie said:

I prob asked this before, but was there no dubbed here? I watched the BTS and their voices sounds similar?

I think most of them used their own voice, but maybe some of them get dubbed but by their own voice. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, epinklyn said:

Zhang RuoYun update his weibo with a long post about Joy of Life... Plz someone translate this for me...

Translation:

Stop talking about Fengyue, Enoxacin

Today is a good day. As early as a few weeks ago, I thought about choosing today and have a short farewell with Master Fan. With this in mind, the eight words of the title are the eight words that first broke into my mind.  
        Relentless, most relentless.
        The winter of 2016 was the season when I first encountered Qing Yu years. Many of the events that occurred at that time were plots I had never encountered before in this life. Now recalling the three years of journey and everything I experienced, I ca n’t help but sigh, Fan Xian ’s life will eventually become a legend, and I am fortunate to be a performer, and it is worth using some words to sacrifice these three years . A lot of stories happened that winter, including some that are widely known today: At the wine table where I met with Director Cao Huayi Sun Hao for the second time, I took advantage of three-point wine to leave the sentence that has now been circulated. "Master Fan is me."
        I'm not the first actor I know to make such a statement. In fact, the sentence "I must be" comes from one of my actor friends, and also my good senior and good brother. Many, many years ago, when I was young, when I heard him telling this story, I admired an actor for expressing such self-confidence, and perhaps also vaguely hoped that when I could meet, I could tell What is the role of this sentence?
        So when director Sun Hao remembered that meeting, he would think of "He was trembling when he was chatting, and the actor was trembling when talking about the role, which meant that he was emotional." Director Sun Hao didn't remember or said Yes, I was trembling and ruthless at that time. I was holding a song on my mobile phone at the time, which was composed by Ms. Guo Yan, and composed and sung by Chen Chen. In short, for a while, it was not about how Fan Anzhi was, how to celebrate the rest of the year, what was my idea of how I played this role, but "Celosia is not released, Mr. Cocktail Grass", it is "The tree has been in a thousand difficulties" The longitudinal axe is really irrelevant at all ", it is the pair of donkey's lips that are not right to the horse's mouth.
Relentless, also known as shofar pairs, donkey lips are not right, but they are fun, like the little Master Fan communicates with the people in the play, the most neat and ruthless, the most lonely.
       In the life of 30,000 days, there is no solitary solution to the fun.
Loneliness is my first thought after reading the original Qing Qing years and the screenplay. But the loneliness is very special. It is not the loneliness that is proud of the world's fireworks, but the "in public loneliness" described by teacher Stanislavsky.
        Fan Xian, he is an actor, sitting on the stone steps and dragging his cheeks to wait for the next plot, traveling through the world to find the meaning of his own existence. Chaotang drunk three hundred poems in Tang Dynasty. Everyone in the world is a small Fan Shixian. Some people boast that he is heavenly, and some people ridicule him for using unknown codes. But no one knows what his psychological basis is, what his mental image is, why did he come? Why does he live? Why is love and why is it annoying? He didn't even understand himself, so he was looking for, communicating, confronting, and suffering. Some people say that his father can come to the enemy and the five fathers, but he is playing in the corner of the world with a stalk that nobody knows and guarding justice that nobody cares about. "Shunfeng express, fast sword and wind." "Gundam Zaku, Luzhou will fight."
        "This world thinks he is irrelevant, I don't like it."
        "I want to fight with the truth in this world for these people."
        Fan Leisure life has become what I want to live. Thinking back to playing Fan Xian in the past few years, I will feel that I have to find a way to deal with myself and live a good life, otherwise I will be ashamed. I remember after the meeting in 2016, I asked Director Sun Hao to talk about Fan Xian ’s psychological age. I was wrestling. An actual age is already the role of an old man. How to face the world like a teenager, Director Sun Hao Tell me, don't do your homework too carefully, you already have it in your heart. An accomplished boy may be the author and the creator's best hope for this world, not only the wisdom brought by the years, but also the candidness and courage of the boy to change injustice.
        I love Master Fan. He is as tacky as you and me. He loves all sentient beings. He loves the fireworks in the world. That is, he wears a peach wood sword. He will shamelessly. surface. But he is not like you or me. He has the temperament to refuse to arrange, and he has the courage to fight injustice, like you and I long to return to the youth again. The juvenile may pass, but the spirit of the juvenile will never pass.
        In the next few years, I will continue to accompany this mature young man, plan for the situation, remove the violence, and spare no effort to protect the good people around him, and the world that allows him to come and rest.
        Juvenile, don't lose to wind and rain, let alone lose to the evil way.

• Like 3

Hello everyone!

Recently I fell in love with this incredible drama, but some issues are still unclear to me. Could anyone be so kind to explain the following things? Especially those who have read the novel, as it must possess more details...

1. What is the overall picture of Southern Qing administration? Departments, ministres, their leaders, etc. If it is possible, the picture of Northern Qi would also be a help.

2. I was confused trying to understand the agenda of 户部, Ministry of Revenue, and 内库, Royal Treasury. Could anyone please clarify for me, what are they responsible for? Because Treasury also has it's books and so on...

3. Am I right percieving that Fan Jian is the second person in his Ministry? 

(I really wonder how mighty should be the first then :lol:)

4. Why is Haitan Duoduo called saintess? How is she different from the other masters?

Thank you!

Edited by Scandias
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1

11 hours ago, Scandias said:

Hello everyone!

Recently I fell in love with this incredible drama, but some issues are still unclear to me. Could anyone be so kind to explain the following things? Especially those who have read the novel, as it must possess more details...

1. What is the overall picture of Southern Qing administration? Departments, ministres, their leaders, etc. If it is possible, the picture of Northern Qi would also be a help.

2. I was confused trying to understand the agenda of 户部, Ministry of Revenue, and 内库, Royal Treasury. Could anyone please clarify for me, what are they responsible for? Because Treasury also has it's books and so on...

3. Am I right percieving that Fan Jian is the second person in his Ministry? 

(I really wonder how mighty should be the first then :lol:)

4. Why is Haitan Duoduo called saintess? How is she different from the other masters?

Thank you!

You have a very detailed questions LOL, i will try my best answer it from my knowledge from drama it self.

1. Sorry i cant help LOL

2 n 3. Ministry of Revenue is one of many government departments side by side with Ministry of Justice, dll, which Fan Jian is like you said, the 2nd person, but eventually in the drama he will be the Ministry of Revenue.

Six Ministries (or Boards) (which formed the central government in imperial times; i.e., in order of importance, Libu (吏部) Ministry of Personnel, Hubu (户部) Board of Revenues (or Ministry of Finance), Libu (礼部) Ministry of Rites, Bingbu (兵部) Ministry of War, Xingbu (刑部) Ministry of Justice, and Gongbu (工部) Ministry of Works).

While Nei Ku (the rough translation is Royal Treasury, but the real meaning is underwear) is Ye QingMei's business which has been controlled by Royal since she was dead. Since Ye QingMei is one of emperor's wife, i think she is a concubine, so it was handed over to Royal Family to manage. And eventually it will be handed over to Fan Xiang since he is her son.

4. Hai Tang Duo Duo one of level 9 sage in Northern Qi, but not yet Grand Master like his Teacher, Ku He. She also a royal family, since Ku He is one of sons from previous Emperor of Northern Qi, so maybe that is why she is called Saintess or 圣女.

CMIIW...

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

3 hours ago, epinklyn said:

Sorry i cant help LOL

Actually you did below :lol: 

Thank you for the list of Ministries and the answer about FJ, it is incredibly helpful. And the Overwatch council (检察院) possess more power then they do, does it?

3 hours ago, epinklyn said:

While Nei Ku (the rough translation is Royal Treasury, but the real meaning is underwear) is Ye QingMei's business which has been controlled by Royal since she was dead. Since Ye QingMei is one of emperor's wife, i think she is a concubine, so it was handed over to Royal Family to manage. And eventually it will be handed over to Fan Xiang since he is her son.

Underwear is an omophone to it, there is a slight difference in the second character. 

Actually you've just blown my mind with this info :lol: I thought that the Royal Treasury is a real governmental storage, and lot of things confused me, like why FJ said that the Emperor named it this way, and why there were books... Now it all makes sense, thank you! 

4 hours ago, epinklyn said:

Hai Tang Duo Duo one of level 9 sage in Northern Qi, but not yet Grand Master like his Teacher, Ku He. She also a royal family, since Ku He is one of sons from previous Emperor of Northern Qi, so maybe that is why she is called Saintess or 圣女.

Oh, it just came to me that I confused 圣 with 神 character... So she is an ordinary human with zhenqi? And Saintess is like a metaphorical nickname? 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, Scandias said:

Actually you did below :lol: 

Thank you for the list of Ministries and the answer about FJ, it is incredibly helpful. And the Overwatch council (检察院) possess more power then they do, does it?

Underwear is an omophone to it, there is a slight difference in the second character. 

Actually you've just blown my mind with this info :lol: I thought that the Royal Treasury is a real governmental storage, and lot of things confused me, like why FJ said that the Emperor named it this way, and why there were books... Now it all makes sense, thank you! 

Oh, it just came to me that I confused 圣 with 神 character... So she is an ordinary human with zhenqi? And Saintess is like a metaphorical nickname? 

检察院 aka Investigation or Prosecutor Dept maybe like police in modern world, they investigate everything, but include the spying other country. They have the same level with the ministries, right under the emperor, and with the special rule from emperor himself that no one from royal family can interfere them, that makes them looks powerful, but i think it is also because it was legacy of Ye QingMei, so the emperor really take it seriously.

Ah ya 内裤 is underwear, while  内库 is royal treasury LOL, i just realized that too! Thx! Really Mao Ni is so smart with this word playing.

Yes Hai Dang DuoDuo is an ordinary human with zhenqi, not a deity nor an immortal, and yeah i think Saintess is like the title for her from the emperor of Northern Qi.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

On 1/16/2020 at 7:04 PM, epinklyn said:

Ah ya 内裤 is underwear, while  内库 is royal treasury LOL, i just realized that too! Thx! Really Mao Ni is so smart with this word playing.

:lol:You're welcome. I knew that there is a lot of language play in this drama, but only rewatching it thoroughly helped me to notice the actual quality of the scenario. There are lots of tiny things, like Fan Xian who unconsciously changes the register of speech arguing with Fan Jian about marriage (您to你, and then 您again, when calmed his mind down)... I find them beautiful.

And the songs!  My poor heart : D

Thank you very much for the detailed answers! You are the bestB)

Now I'm trying to save the last two episodes till Monday... Just watched an ep44, and was surprised how cosy it is. The empress playing dominoes with her subordinates, friendly drinking of Haitan Duoduo and Fan Xian.

Is it just me, or there is really a room for femCP of saintess and the Northern Qi emperor? : D

Feel more and more sorry for Shen Zhong. Were it some other "historical" TV series, he could easily be shown as one of the protagonists.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Scandias said:

Thank you very much for the detailed answers! You are the bestB)

You are very welcome, we complete each other though... :wub:

27 minutes ago, Scandias said:

Is it just me, or there is really a room for femCP of saintess and the Northern Qi emperor? : D

Maybe for saintess, but surely not the emperor.

27 minutes ago, Scandias said:

Feel more and more sorry for Shen Zhong. Were it some other "historical" TV series, he could easily be shown as one of the protagonists.

You can watch The Awakening of Insect, played by Zhang RuoYun, and some of Joy of Life's cast like Shen Zong, Guo BaoKun, Yan Ruo Hai, Lin DaBao, etc...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, epinklyn said:

Maybe for saintess, but surely not the emperor.

Will it be revealed in the last 2 episodes?

I also remember that Fei Jie wanted to poison the emperor through Si Lili... 

1 hour ago, epinklyn said:

You can watch The Awakening of Insect, played by Zhang RuoYun, and some of Joy of Life's cast like Shen Zong, Guo BaoKun, Yan Ruo Hai, Lin DaBao, etc...

the title doesn't sound reassuring : D

I am always afraid to watch sth with the same cast just right after the drama. But thank you for the recommendation, maybe i'll try to check it later on.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Scandias said:

Will it be revealed in the last 2 episodes?

I also remember that Fei Jie wanted to poison the emperor through Si Lili... 

Nop.

About the poison in Si Lili body, she has been cured, FX already gave her the antidote.

In the novel FX will have 2nd wife called SiSi. HaiDang DuoDuo i think have feeling to FX and vice versa, but they are not a couple. But dont know what will happen in the drama, since it is not faithfully adapted.

55 minutes ago, Scandias said:

the title doesn't sound reassuring : D

I am always afraid to watch sth with the same cast just right after the drama. But thank you for the recommendation, maybe i'll try to check it later on.

Hahaah yeahh what a title right, i did find it weird too though, but after watching i finally understand. It is about espionage in republican era. You can find shen zong as a protagonist and best friend with fan xian, ah lin gong also there LOL.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, epinklyn said:

About the poison in Si Lili body, she has been cured, FX already gave her the antidote.

Yeah, I remember this. I just wonder how much could Fei Jie know about the emperor's gender : D

In the novel FX will have 2nd wife called SiSi. HaiDang DuoDuo i think have feeling to FX and vice versa, but they are not a couple. But dont know what will happen in the drama, since it is not faithfully adapted.

Heard about his concubine, but thought it was another person. You mean that Si Lili doesn't exist in the novel?

Duoduo and Fan Xian are so much better as bff or frenemies than as a couple!

Hahaah yeahh what a title right, i did find it weird too though, but after watching i finally understand. It is about espionage in republican era. You can find shen zong as a protagonist and best friend with fan xian, ah lin gong also there LOL.

So the team are gathered : D thats cute.

I see Wang Ou in the cast! Love to watch her on screen. What a pity that the drama isn't subbed yet. My level of Chinese isn't that high : D

• Like 1

Congrats

- Joy of Life for the Super TV Adaptation Award

- Zhang Ruo Yun for Super Populer Actor Award and Classic Literature Reading Honor

- Song Yi for Super Breakthrough Artist Award

- Xiao Zhan for Super Storm Actor Award

in China Literature Super IP Award 2020

1nad32cr3r4r4zsmw5p3pjdve.jpg

5fhb5f3vsh02f41z4nea3ennt.jpg

Screenshot-20200119-001335-Weibo-Intl.jp

57vxnfq3zdqou9qijunu9ro2o.jpg

• Thanks 1

Videos from China Literature Super IP Gala

1. Zhang RuoYun for Joy of Life, Reading Classic Honor (cant tell the exact Award/ Honor)

https://video.h5.weibo.cn/1034:4462208852099113/4462209080038365

Screenshot-20200119-000855-Weibo-Intl.jp

2. Super TV Adaptation Award

https://video.h5.weibo.cn/1034:4462198635036682/4462200133501403

Screenshot-20200119-001215-Weibo-Intl.jp

3. Song Yi Super Breakthrough Actress

https://video.h5.weibo.cn/1034:4462164430487574/4462199021957991

Screenshot-20200119-001335-Weibo-Intl.jp

4. Zhang RuoYun and Xiao Zhan

https://video.h5.weibo.cn/1034:4462160584048657/4462188062813027

Screenshot-20200119-001814-Weibo-Intl.jp

5. Zhang RuoYun Super Popular Actor

https://video.h5.weibo.cn/1034:4462161485824029/4462190662956922

Screenshot-20200119-002028-Weibo-Intl.jp

6. Joy of Life Production Team ( actors, Mao Ni, producer and director)

https://video.h5.weibo.cn/1034:4462165206171653/4462200338589364

Screenshot-20200119-002757-Weibo-Intl.jp

7. Xiao Zhan singing Remaining Years

https://video.h5.weibo.cn/1034:4462166242426904/4462201316000933

Screenshot-20200119-005420-Weibo-Intl.jp

8. Xiao Zhan Super Storm Actor

https://video.h5.weibo.cn/1034:4462168482185238/4462203958980184

Screenshot-20200119-004209-Weibo-Intl.jp

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Scandias said:

Yeah, I remember this. I just wonder how much could Fei Jie know about the emperor's gender : D

Ah ic, i think the whole world never know about the true gender of Northern Qi's Emperor..

4 hours ago, Scandias said:

Heard about his concubine, but thought it was another person. You mean that Si Lili doesn't exist in the novel?

Duoduo and Fan Xian are so much better as bff or frenemies than as a couple!

Si LiLi exist in the novel. SiSi the 2nd wife was Fan Xian's maiden.

Yeah i agree on you on HDDD n FX are so much better as bff or frenemies than as a couple.

• Like 1

Thank God, I did not miss on this awesome drama.  Usually I don't like too much political dramas, but since this one got so many good reviews from various blogs I gave a try and I don't regret it. 

Wow!!!! What a character FX is!!!!!! I cannot stop laughing from his antics, wittiness and his smart moves are to die for.  It piqued my interest from ep.1 coz of the young FX boy who also showed his awesome acting.  From there, no going back for me. 

About ep.41, what a climax.  The camera work going back and forth between XE/FX and the adults CPP/FJ/EMPEROR, awesome.  This is my first time watching ZRY, he is 10/10 from me.  His facial expressions when he found out who he is exactly and also who YBY is?  Awesome!!!!:thumbsup:

Also the dance between FX and HDD :lol:was a nice touch.  Yeah they will be good bff's rather than a couple. I also like WQN.  He is so good a character not to mention him.  

I am reading all the posts in this thread and my doubts are all cleared one by one.  

And what a final review @skibbies, awesome.  You summed up it all very nicely.  

@epinklyn thanks for explaining all those royal departments and posts on various updates.

Congrats to all the winners of the award.  :thumbsup:

Yet to watch the last episode, but know what is going to happen from various blogs:wacko:

Very much looking forward to s2.  Hope the writer maintains the comical portion in s2 also and don't make it dark.  Jayou!!!!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, pad-hari said:

This is my first time watching ZRY, he is 10/10 from me.  His facial expressions when he found out who he is exactly and also who YBY is?  Awesome!!!!:thumbsup:

I knew right?? This is my first time too, omg where was I not knowing about Zhang RuoYun, now i am a BIG fans of him. His facial expression is 10/10, what a very experienced actor!

• Love 1