[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Joy of Life 庆余年

sugarplum892

Ok, seems like it's paranoia :D 

Actually, I'm shocked of how scary Second Prince is from the beginning. Never considered him as somehow serious character, he was just like some schoolboy trying to be cool.

Spoiler

in 7th episode he tells Fan Xian that he wants to kill him to reconcile with the crown prince.

what a moment.

I thought it was just a test, and it is, but seems like Fan Xian lived so long only because of his impudence :D

• LOL 2

I just finished watching this drama and can't wait for the second season. Love the characterization. And also love the realistic portrayal of characters as it seems everyone is at least friends (or on neutral terms) with FX. Also love FX and Duo Duo's chemistry (even though I still prefer the main pairing). The only character I don't like so far is XZ.

Spoiler

I also believe that cliffhanger ending was pre-meditated: FX and XZ probably already talked it over and planned it the night before.

• Like 3

On 3/6/2020 at 4:01 PM, epinklyn said:

Anyone read this news? It said Joy of Life will have big screen version, correct me plz!

Animated series - Entering the Capital, 6 episodes, and Gaining Fame in Qing Guo (Country of Qing), 6 episodes

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, a_tumiwa said:

season two confirmed, all original cast members will be returning

https://www.jaynestars.com/news/sean-xiao-rumored-to-be-getting-kicked-out-of-joy-of-life-2/

Just correction on the article, it was always going to be filmed in at the end of the year, and they've been saying it since it's been airing last December, so it's not related to Covid-19 at all (COVID have affected several other dramas, this one was not one of them). I'm actually presuming Wang Juan is still writing the script, because it hasn't even been half a year, which was how long I predicted scripting would be.

Only Zhang Ruoyun had reportedly signed a contract, but several people have indicated interest in returning, BUT it super depends on scheduling as well. e.g. Chen Pingping's actor have shown interest in reprising the role, as long as the script is good, but he's also rumoured to be in another drama in Zhao Liying that will likely start filming soon.

It's a little odd to take appearance on variety show to indicate all cast will return but I'm not going to argue. Xiao Zhan not appearing is entirely understandable, he's literally supporting of supporting character, his character might play a major role next season, but that's next season. Him not reprising the role also make sense because he has gotten several main character roles since filming first season of JoL, it'd be difficult to juggle scheduling with him who would be rather busy, and he's not going to get that much short term benefit from it. As for the fandom scandal, it's a little beyond that but I won't get into it, because it's overly long & complicated & unnecessary. I do genuinely dislike part of his extremely rabid fanbase, so I'd be relief if he doesn't return, especially after the entire last month.

• Like 4
  • Love 1