[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Joy of Life 庆余年

sugarplum892

On 12/4/2019 at 2:28 PM, nasaan ka Alex? said:

With how involve the emperor is to his life in the capital and seeing one of the released posters where the emperor is by his side, I think he might be one of the princes, i remember of a mention that there are 4. I already saw the crown prince, the second prince, and a mention of the youngest just being an infant. So he might be the 3rd Prince, just my theory so far. The Fan family might be on his maternal side. 

The crown prince is the third son, he calls second prince older brother. The eldest is leading the army I think, so he's not in the capital. 

Tangetially related, he normally wouldn't be numbered regardless of who his dad is, since he's born out of wedlock. Generally those kids wouldn't go on the official genealogy book (?) or officially acknowledged. This is fantasy world so it's not that strict though. 

5 hours ago, creidesca said:

did ep 16-17 get leaked, because torrent-wise, the group MP4ba has them, or did they change the airing schedule?

oh no. They haven't changed the airing schedule. You sure it's actual episodes and not faked? There's been people selling the full drama since last week but I'm not sure they were real or scam. I hope it hasn't been leaked, since that would mean less hits for the drama. 

• Insightful 1

1 hour ago, skibbies said:

oh no. They haven't changed the airing schedule. You sure it's actual episodes and not faked? There's been people selling the full drama since last week but I'm not sure they were real or scam. I hope it hasn't been leaked, since that would mean less hits for the drama. 

I took a peek at ep16 before heading to work, and it's definitely continuing where ep15 left off

1 hour ago, creidesca said:

I took a peek at ep16 before heading to work, and it's definitely continuing where ep15 left off

damn. I think last week was a miscommunication with youtube team so it's not real leak. This seems different. Not sure if they will change schedule again to accomodate. 

Could anybody explain my questions below ?

What is the relationship between Fan Xian's mother and Fan Jian, who adopted Fan Xian after his mother was killed?

Why did Fan Jian come to adopt Fan Xian and keep him safe growing up with the grandmother?
Does Fan Xian even know that he is an adopted son of the Fan family?

• Insightful 1

2 hours ago, dancingbee said:

Could anybody explain my questions below ?

What is the relationship between Fan Xian's mother and Fan Jian, who adopted Fan Xian after his mother was killed?

Why did Fan Jian come to adopt Fan Xian and keep him safe growing up with the grandmother?
Does Fan Xian even know that he is an adopted son of the Fan family?

At this point, Fan Xian doesn't know that he is adopted. He doesn't know his real identity yet.

I don't know the other questions, so I'll have someone answer it^^

• Thanks 1

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone has read the book since it's 746 chapters long? Is it a recommended read or should I just focus on the drama instead? I was thinking of creating an ePub if reading is recommended. 

I create English translation ePubs for the Untamed, Ten Miles of Peach Blossoms and the Pillow Book since they are great novels turned to movie dramas.  I was wondering if this drama would be the same.

• Like 1

@MK916 The novel is different since he actually transmigrated into a 2 month old baby. There's alot comedy and with his inner thoughts and messing with his enemies. But there is alot of investigating & information gathering because he's part of the control department. Such as getting information of enemies by means of poison&torture and stuff. I also think it's harem. He ends up with 2 legitimate wives i think. If you don't like harem novels you should avoid it. Seems like the drama avoids it, not sure yet though

Wow, I am blown away

I just saw the interaction between Fan Xian and his father where he talks honest to him about his brother (E6 @40:00)

The way he talked to him, it blew me off my socks, I couldn't believe it. This drama is going places with the time travel thing (or what ever way around the census they found) no other drama did before. Whenever I watched a period drama with a person from modern times in it, it was lacking our actual virtues. Just basic stuff such as monogamy, human right/equality, etc most often with lacking and unstatisfying results. Mostly, modern people in period drama where just sad and/or helpless and just tried to adapt to those new circumstances they suddenly found themselves in. 

But the interaction between these two, how he openly talked to his father about his brother, even implying as to the father being at fault for his sons actions- I couldn't shut my mouth!

This kind of dynamic and 'discussions' we rarely have in asian dramas, let alone period dramas! The parents are at fault??? 

Just see how the father got all uncomfortable and tried to get away but was still caring enough not to just forbid the topic all together. 

No0zXr0.png

This sold me the whole drama, loving it! Looking forward to more <3

vSckq23.png

• Like 4

On 12/7/2019 at 2:35 AM, MK916 said:

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone has read the book since it's 746 chapters long? Is it a recommended read or should I just focus on the drama instead? I was thinking of creating an ePub if reading is recommended. 

From my understanding, the novel is pretty different from the drama, they kept the main plot and changed bit of the characterisation and deleted scenes etc. I don't think you should read it while watching, maybe after s1 finish. The tone is more serious and somber in novel, protag is more manipulative etc. The plot is about scheming and achieving his goal (implementing modern values and system?). 

He has a wife + concubine, but they aren't very developed, concubine is barely there. There's a female character who share his ambition that he works with later that's psuedo female lead. The romance is barely there and there's questionable bits here and there. BUT it's a very good novel despite that. It's Mao Ni's most popular and praised work iirc. It probably has a place on top 100 WN...I think. 

• Insightful 2

Love the pai gao funny scene with the Fan family. The dialogue between FX and Mr. Fan is so funny, FX is educating Mr. Fan how to be a good father, and why FS loves to make money so much. FS is so innocent and cute, hopefully nothing bad happens to him. Does anyone know why Wan'Er cannot eat meat?? Also, the modern words that FX speaks, does he know it from reading something, or why does he speaks modern words??? I know he's from the future, so is that intended to why he speaks certain modern words???

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, rosierosie said:

Also, the modern words that FX speaks, does he know it from reading something, or why does he speaks modern words??? I know he's from the future, so is that intended to why he speaks certain modern words???

It is intentional. You can scroll back a few pages to read my replies about the premise of the story.

• Like 1

Just finished ep 9^^!! Love how the story progressed so far. Although, there's no much interactions between our OTP, that's okay because the script is good so far. I'm confused, why does the emperor wants FX to take over the Investigator Office, by marrying  Wan'Er??? Is the CP going to be a threat to FX??? So far, the drama is funny and lighthearted----is it because of the titled? It's meant to be a lighthearted genre? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rosierosie said:

Also, the modern words that FX speaks, does he know it from reading something, or why does he speaks modern words??? I know he's from the future, so is that intended to why he speaks certain modern words???

You might want to rewatch the first 5mins, the story is about a (present day) bedridden man who was reborn/time travel into a feudal society. The central theme of the story is modern values clashing with fedual ones, Fan Xian disagree heavily with a lot of common practices, he outright protest, point them out, or subtly influence those around him (most noticeably his sister). 

4 hours ago, rosierosie said:

Just finished ep 9^^!! Love how the story progressed so far. Although, there's no much interactions between our OTP, that's okay because the script is good so far. I'm confused, why does the emperor wants FX to take over the Investigator Office, by marrying  Wan'Er??? Is the CP going to be a threat to FX??? So far, the drama is funny and lighthearted----is it because of the titled? It's meant to be a lighthearted genre? 

Investigator Office was taken over by the princess (Wan'er's mum), who backs the crown prince. It's where a lot of money is, as an emperor, you don't want your son to hold too much money or power for that matter, because what if the kid overthrows you? Fan Jian, protag's dad is close confident of the emperor, so that's why he's picked. He's also testing the protag, he has a lots of hope for Fan Xian.

OVERALL (thus all three season, it's just planned for that long), the story's is rather serious. However we are in the introduction phase. The screenwriter Wang Juan purposely played up the comedy parts of the story, and inserted fair bit of comedy himself, to make the serious story much more accessible and palatable for general audience. Although I should note some of the gags are from the author Mao Ni, name gags and ugly writing for example. Joy of Life's title never struck me as lighthearted, it really feels like coming out of a rather dark story/background and appreciating life, although I suppose, for someone who was previously bedridden, it applies even to the beginning of the story, since he got a second chance to appreciate the world.

• Like 4

@creidesca I haven't watched the drama yet. But in the novel most of it was Ye Qingmei's businesses. Fan Jian wanted Fan Xian to marry Wan'er to take away Eldest Princess power and for Fan Xian to reclaim what belongs to him. This was also part of the Emperor's plan. Emperor adopting and doting Wan'er was just a plan of his so Fan Xian would get the assets from the marriage. Fan Jian intention to weaken Eldest Princess if i remember correctly was because they suspected that Eldest Princess killed Ye Qingmei

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1