[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Joy of Life 庆余年

sugarplum892

@jongski The webnovels usually always have a small amount of comedic undertone. It wouldn't be watchable if it was dark and serious all the time. But this is not a comedy in general. it's full of politics and other stuff. I read like 100 chapters like a year and a half ago so i don't remember it all too well. I'm going to re-read it since it's completely translated now. I can give you a better answer if you want later.

Edit : i started re-reading. While it's not a comedy novel it has alot of comedy with FX plotting/messing with his oponents. Problem is that he recites alot of stuff from modern times which they will obviously remove. I havent started watching the drama yet, but since china has banned reincarnation it's pretty obvious it won't be included.

• Like 1

@angelangie Im only at 150 chapters. It will get darker if they follow the novel somewhat.

Spoiler

If they follow the novel somewhat, he will enter the Overwatch Council which deals with investigation of the other government departments and spies and stuff. Within the first 150 chapters he tortures a young women  who were involved in an assassination attempt on him. I'm guessing it will start light but get darker and darker with more conspiracies unfolding. 

I haven’t finished reading the novel yet but, the opening theme song refers to a mysterious temple on an inaccessible mountain. “According to legend, there is treasure on the mountain as well as a deep cliff”

Spoiler

This secret is kept by an enemy spy who did not give up his secrets even after 20 years of imprisonment and torture. He gives Fan Xian vague descriptions of the temples’s location before he dies.  

Just finished ep 2 :)!!! I'm confused, why did the guards killed the women on the street??? The story is going at a steady pace, which I like------a balance of dialogue and action we get to see. The cute young actor Fan Xian is so good at his acting skills!! His facial expressions, and acting is so cute!!! This is my first time watching the ML, he have that pretty/cute boy look going on^^---kind of reminds me of Xiao Zhan!!! 

@rosierosie someone in the imperial palace is trying to destroy Fan Xian's reputation by setting him up with those maids and luring him into the fake Fan residence.

The emperor knew of the plot, sent his imperial guards to dispose those maids, and also redirect Fan Xian to the temple where he is currently visiting so that he could observe him. It was also possible that it is also his plan for the two(ML and FL) to meet. This is all explained in episode 3.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2019 at 11:39 AM, Lunkera said:

Edit : i started re-reading. While it's not a comedy novel it has alot of comedy with FX plotting/messing with his oponents. Problem is that he recites alot of stuff from modern times which they will obviously remove. I havent started watching the drama yet, but since china has banned reincarnation it's pretty obvious it won't be included.

They got round it by turning it into a story within a story. A university student is writing the story as part of a contest to show the clash between historical system and modern ideas with the main theme being if life can be done over again. The protagonist in the story found out his deceased mother already introduced a lot of the technology from the world he was from into the undefined historical period he was reborn into.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, rosierosie said:

Just finished ep 2 :)!!! I'm confused, why did the guards killed the women on the street??? The story is going at a steady pace, which I like------a balance of dialogue and action we get to see. The cute young actor Fan Xian is so good at his acting skills!! His facial expressions, and acting is so cute!!! This is my first time watching the ML, he have that pretty/cute boy look going on^^---kind of reminds me of Xiao Zhan!!! 

I like ZRY's acting since I watched him in Novoland Castle in the Sky.  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, nasaan ka Alex? said:

If this was divided into three seasons, does it mean that the wrapped up filming was only for season 1?

Or is it that the filming was already done for the whole three seasons, but the last two seasons are on hold to be broadcast at a later date?

Yeah,it looks like they only finished filming Season 1 but they have set aside 5 years to produce the 3 seasons.

With how involve the emperor is to his life in the capital and seeing one of the released posters where the emperor is by his side, I think he might be one of the princes, i remember of a mention that there are 4. I already saw the crown prince, the second prince, and a mention of the youngest just being an infant. So he might be the 3rd Prince, just my theory so far. The Fan family might be on his maternal side. 

I'm planning to read the english translation of the novel, since as someone mentioned earlier, there is 5 years worth of production time(2017-2022?) and its easy to find it online.

27 minutes ago, nasaan ka Alex? said:

With how involve the emperor is to his life in the capital and seeing one of the released posters where the emperor is by his side, I think he might be one of the princes, i remember of a mention that there are 4. I already saw the crown prince, the second prince, and a mention of the youngest just being an infant. So he might be the 3rd Prince, just my theory so far. The Fan family might be on his maternal side. 

I'm planning to read the english translation of the novel, since as someone mentioned earlier, there is 5 years worth of production time(2017-2022?) and its easy to find it online.

Spoiler

In the novel, an Eldest Prince does exist and the fourth prince is 8 years old. During Fan Xian’s wedding, the Emperor says to himself that he regrets that he couldn’t get married with the ceremonial rituals of a prince.

I read somewhere that the drama changed Fan Xian’s background to a prince of the previous dynasty.

• Like 1

So, at this point...Is Fan Xian's the emperor's son??? It seems like he cares for Fan Xian? From the plot, who is Fan Xian's enemy and who is the one behind his mother's death??? 

On another note, I like the humor, actions and acting in this drama :)!! I never thought I would like historical comedy drama, but this one got me hooked!!! Waiting for subs is difficult!! I wish I can just binged-watch it!!!

1 hour ago, rosierosie said:

So, at this point...Is Fan Xian's the emperor's son??? It seems like he cares for Fan Xian? From the plot, who is Fan Xian's enemy and who is the one behind his mother's death??? 

It is a major spoiler and I don’t think it will be revealed until the last season. Are you sure you want to know?

Spoiler

The emperor and yes, he is his father.

• Like 2

big spoilers about his father and mother. The reason for his mother's death.

Spoiler

Yes. He is the emperor's son. Also his mother was killed by the emperor. In the novel FX mother was reincarnated just like him. She had an ideology that you didn't need rulers since she was from modern times and that threatened the imperial power while in the drama i think they will just make it so that she had alot of power and the emperor feared that. Also according to the first 150 chapters she drugged the emperor with an aphrodisiac and wanted a child since she was lonely. In the novel she was more or less the founder of the overwatch council/Control Department

• Like 3

@Lunkera and @bluehibiscus

Spoiler

are you referring to the emperor of the previous dynasty that was disposed of? or is it the same current emperor?

also what is the status of the current emperor before he became one? Who is Chen Pingping and Fei Jie that doesnt want Fan Xian to return to the capital and how relevant are they to the story?

2 hours ago, nasaan ka Alex? said:

@Lunkera and @bluehibiscus

Hide contents

are you referring to the emperor of the previous dynasty that was disposed of? or is it the same current emperor?

also what is the status of the current emperor before he became one? Who is Chen Pingping and Fei Jie that doesnt want Fan Xian to return to the capital and how relevant are they to the story?

Spoiler

The current one. He was a prince who became the emperor with the help of Fan Xian’s mother, Ye Qing Mei.

Cheng Ping Ping respects Ye Qing Mei very much as she was the first person who treated him with respect. He wants to avenge her death. As the head of an investigation/control agency that has eyes everywhere, outwardly he reports to the emperor. Fei Jie is a leader of the 3rd Office in the agency and a master of poison. He taught Fan Xian the art of poison. He can also be a healer.

• Like 2