[Drama 2017-2018] A Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi 화유기

larus

2 hours ago, Mazzi CB said:

I do not want to spoil them, but ...

Hide contents

Song Oh Gong don't have the GGG (?)

I think others already answered that.. That's part of deleted scenes... That's include photo SOG and JSM in bar or pub and JSM lean her head on SOG's shoulder

2 hours ago, juju84 said:

I think this pic is from the cut scene of the first family/friend/lover date JSM & SOG had on Christmas Eve. And that was before SM gave him GGG. It's a pity these couple of scenes were edited out in the end. I wish they'd at least upload them on the Hwayugi offical page for us to enjoy)

But maybe it'd be added to the DVD version later)

I hope we can get the complete one on DVD version later, definitely I will buy that if they give the deleted scene and longer kiss scene... Wkwkwkwkwkwkwk....

• Like 4
  • LOL 3

Thoughts on Episode 9 and 10...

I love this show but goodness gracious me... that was almost 3 hours of sheer agony watching these two ridiculously recalcitrant individuals drive me completely up the wall with their denials, lies, lashing out and absurd noble idiocy. Still, I've got to say though... the payoff at the end... more or less made up for it. :DIt was thankfully the perfect antidote to being driven absolutely insane by two people who were either too scared or too proud to be honest with their feelings. There were too many times I wanted to throttle SM during the two episodes. Luckily I was saved from being a murderer by the big thick glass on my television screen.

Does this mean now that Seon Mi will just get on with things, embrace this uncertainty wholeheartedly and stop obsessing with perfection and the "match made in heaven" rubbish and just roll with it? I sure hope so. After that kiss, she'd better because after putting herself and everyone else through the ringer I will start throwing molotov cocktails at my tv if things don't progress to the next level with those two. 

All the ranting and raving aside, I've been on record for some time saying that whatever feelings that may have been triggered because of the magic bracelet, it doesn't make them any less genuine or worthy of having. People fall in love in different ways, for different reasons under various circumstances. There's no one way people fall in love and there's certainly no perfect way. Some fall in love at first sight, some fall in love after a long time friendship, some through working together etc. And despite the snark, I do get it. The show wants SM to be free to choose to be Samjung and all that it entails, not to be purely at the mercy of the whims of monsters, demons and other supernatural beings. Once she's able to take that step and embrace her inner Samjung, she is free to love OG without placing on him and herself these unrealistic conditions/strictures. 

"It's annoying when you act like you don't care." Oh purleeeese, SOG... you're just as bad. Or worse. But there's no denying LSG's acting right on the money when he dips his eyes secretly pleased and a flicker of suppressed smile passes his lips. It's my favourite look of his :wub: Anyway, it's terrific to see that Monkey is finally growing up and wanting the best for SM even if she doesn't actually really know what she wants. He is changing and becoming less self-centred although he should tone down the bluster. Yeah, I know... baby steps, baby steps.  :wink:

Thank you Piggy... thank you for helping shake things up. If you hadn't tried to feed SM to the rotting zombie.. things might be quite different. :wink: It occurred to me that I haven't seen him use his powers much. And is Richie really only a sister to him? Hmmmm... 

See, this is why I like Jonathan. He's such a breath of fresh air to all the push-pull. He was the first human being to ever embrace SM's oddity and special ability, to see the bright side of it. Maybe this should be a cause for suspicion but for me, at least right now, I don't see any need to be and it's my fervent hope that it stays that way.

The other thing I enjoy about this show is the way it incorporates the fantastical elements in an east meets west sort of way. Last week we had the Little Mermaid, this week we had The Little Match Girl, Hansel and Gretel and Peter Pan. (I'm not familiar with the Golden Rope story) What I especially liked about this week's evil spirit of the moment was how the bookseller saw herself as saviour figure to miserable children and those beloved children stories were the means of her entrapment. Also equally fascinating, and something I related to personally, is the notion of books but fairy tales in particular as pure escapism. We often use the expression that books (and dramas) provide a means of escaping the harsh realities of life. Well, in this episode all of that is turned on its head and is deployed to depict a state of being with potential dangers. Being in one's own world can trigger one's creativity but it can also lead to delusionary behaviour.

In light of that, this is the first time I think I actually liked Han Ju and saw the sense of his being around. He was there to mediate those two worlds. The harsh world of human reality where human beings don't always do the right thing by one another contrasted with the world where supernatural confrontations occur parallel to the visible plain. 

Fairy tales (and nursery rhymes) have their origins in folktales which were most likely told as a way of concealing harsh realities and helping those who live through them find relief from it. Escapist literature though they might be, people must've gained some comfort in the telling and retelling of them.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Mazzi CB said:

I do not want to spoil them, but ...

Hide contents

Song Oh Gong don't have the GGG (?)

Its a DATE!!!:wub:

about the bracelet, I’m not sure too, that particular photo is a bit blurry.

On the other note its his body caught my eyes :tongue: this is the first time that Lee Seung Gi wore a single layer, revealing his fit body. 

• Like 2

Ugh, I feel like it's too early for noble idiocy in the series. I know Hong Sisters really love to throw the "noble idiot" arc in their shows but isn't it too early? Like, unless they plan on clearing everything up sooner rather than later, then I'm not down with what might be to come. 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, VanillaSalt said:

Ugh, I feel like it's too early for noble idiocy in the series. I know Hong Sisters really love to throw the "noble idiot" arc in their shows but isn't it too early? Like, unless they plan on clearing everything up sooner rather than later, then I'm not down with what might be to come. 

How can they work together to save the world if there's noble idiocy?

i hope they will fight together

their push and pull is more than enough

• Like 3

More thoughts...

While the geumgang-duvelackey may have kicked start the romance in an apparently inauspicious manner, by forcing Monkey into a place where he was compelled to put SM's interests and welfare above his own, it was always the journey to where they both are right now after Episode 10 that mattered most. All the mistrust and confusion was compounded by mischief, ignorance and fear... which they had to overcome (apparently) in order to reach the level of certainty they both now enjoy. More than the romance, a necessary end-of-the-world partnership was stake. Imagine trying to push two people together to collaborate without the trust and the willingness to put themselves out for one another. SM lacked trust, OG wasn't willing.

At the end of the day, the show tells us it's all about choice... the freedom to exercise that choice to do the hard thing, to live with a certain measure of uncertainty. I suppose SM never really felt that she had the choice when she was first saddled with ghost-seeing ability and then given the mantle of Samjung. After having a taste of ordinariness and the frustration attached to not being able to help when she'd become accustomed to it, SM realises her calling as a "ghostbuster" :wink: and willingly embraces...  her inner lonely child... to fulfill her potential as a ghostbuster. 

After all the push and pull with the ensuing confusion as well as mayhem, the end of Episode 10 signals the start of SM and OG choosing to have this relationship on their own (outside of the magic bracelet, outside of Heaven's interference and outside of MW's machinations). He has freely chosen her as his "owner", she has chosen him as her all-encompassing protector. He's made the choice to be tethered to her (which is undoubtedly a really big deal for the freedom-loving Great Sage) and she's chosen to trust him with not just her life but her heart.

The freedom to choose transcends the power of the geumganggo

• Like 9

page 101 good job guys . thumbs up .  i come here everyday to post somthinb but get too immeresed in reading posts . today is hwayugi day and time is crawling . i hope the preview is misleading or some of them are from ep 12 . we need 503 to be love love for all the pain they went through and before doom and gloom kick in . 

i guess if grim reaper is dropping in to warn oh gong about the deathbell who is an imortal afte erasing his name in the book of death . does it mean with the death bell his name is back in. i hope oh gong spitting blood is just a future vision . i can’t with seunggi’s teary eyes and bloody mouth will bee too much too soon .

i hope buja turininb evil and hitting on oh gong will be done with in 1-2 eps . i love oh gong and buja’s sibling like relationship and buja and sunmi didn’t even get a chance to bond . 

mawangs love has been hinted and dragged on long enough. it’s time to know what really happnd with princess ironfan . 

i wish episodes ara back to 90 mnts . more to watch and better for ratings too

• Like 9

8 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Thanks for the info. The instagram I translated makes a lot more sense now knowing that Shin Hyun Joon played a malevolent general in a movie called The Ginko Bed.  I've edited my post with the translations to reflect this info.

Oh, this is going to be good! I can't wait.

Hide contents

I hope this is what he sings. Of course, this song has already been in a meta joke in this drama with MW parodying it. :)

OMG!! I had no idea he sang this! Okay he's gotten about 5 times hotter than he already is to me :D

On a separate note, while I'm waiting for next episodes, I'm watching Cha Seung Won in Greatest Love again - omg I forgot how funny it was. I love him in it too.

Makes me want to give My Girlfriend is a Gu Mi Ho a second chance now that LSG's hotness has come out for me in this kdrama...

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

The other thing I enjoy about this show is the way it incorporates the fantastical elements in an east meets west sort of way. Last week we had the Little Mermaid, this week we had The Little Match Girl, Hansel and Gretel and Peter Pan. (I'm not familiar with the Golden Rope story)

Golden rope is korean tale.. hv heard a few times on variety show.. 1n2d also featured it..kim junho explained it

• Thanks 1

“Hwayugi” Hints At Turbulence Ahead In Lee Seung Gi And Oh Yeon Seo’s Love Story

It looks as though there may be trouble in paradise for Lee Seung Gi and Oh Yeon Seo on the next episode of “Hwayugi.”

Spoiler

On the previous episode of the tvN drama, Son Oh Gong (played by Lee Seung Gi) and Jin Sun Mi (played by Oh Yeon Seo) finally confessed their feelings for one another and shared a romantic kiss.

However, Jin Sun Mi had already learned that she and Son Oh Gong face a tragic fate—according to the black bell of death, one of them is destined to die at the hands of the other.

Newly released stills from “Hwayugi” tease the possibility that Son Oh Gong may also discover their unhappy fate in the next episode of the drama. The photos show Lee Seung Gi wearing a serious expression as he gazes broodingly at the bell of death in his hand.

Lee-Seung-Gi-2.jpg

more https://www.soompi.com/2018/02/02/hwayugi-hints-turbulence-ahead-lee-seung-gi-oh-yeon-seos-love-story/

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

@stroppyse Since many are fearing for the ending, some don't want a similar ending to Goblin, I have been thinking about SM/SJ and OG a lot. First of all, the title "Korean Odyssey" gives us a clue about it. Odyssey is a reference to the famous Greek poem, where Odysseus or Ulysses had been condemned by Poseidon to wander the sea for 10 years because he had blinded the Cyclops Polyphemus, a son of the sea god Poseidon. He was unable to go home for so long and during this exile, he met a lot of supernatural creatures who were dangerous to him and his crew, like f. ex. Calypso. The latter kept him for 7 years on her island  against his will as she wanted him to become her husband. In other words, he was a captive on her island. 

As you can see, OG has a lot in common with OG. He was also banished from Heaven (his home), also imprisoned (500 years for a god = 7 years for a human) because he had committed a sin. OG hasn't returned home yet, he is still wandering among the humans as his punishment has not been removed. Nevertheless, there are  some differences between them:

•  OG is a god, whereas Odysseus was a human. 
  • Odysseus was married to Penelope who had remained in Ithaca, his home. Hence he was separated from her and his love for her was one of the big reasons why he wanted to return to Ithaca. OG is single.
  • Besides, Odysseus was not alone from the start. His crew followed him on his journey.

But we can add that both of them are changed as their journey leaves an deep impact on them. So this journey for OG is to learn to become a really good deity in my opinion so that once he is back in Heaven, he will act differently.

Striking is that OG is not like a Greek god, these were represented and acting like humans. OG  is the monkey god which means that he is connected to the animal world. To me, this is important because this explains why OG is so impulsive and emotional. He kind of follows his instincts and impulses. On the other hand, in the Asian culture, the monkey is the symbol of wisdom: three wise monkeys who hear, see and say no evil to anyone. They don't let evil approach them in the end. But OG is far from away from being wise as he is mischievous and plays a lot of dirty tricks. He even calls himself a bad guy. Hence we can say that OG was in the start a god who let his animal instincts overcome him which had a terrible consequence: he committed a sin and was punished for it. What caught my attention is the introduction of Hwayugi, the opening credits: we see a statue of OG in his "human" form, just like SJ and MW. Moreover, their statues is on the top of a hill which seems to indicate that they have become deities and are in Heaven. From my point of view, we should consider the opening credits as the clue for the possible ending. MW will achieve his goal just like OG. But right now, they are still acting like "animal gods" since MW and OG put their statues in the condo: a monkey and a bull!! That's how they see themselves and they are quite proud of it. Nevertheless, OG has already started changing due to his interaction with SJ/SM. She is the one who is turning OG into a decent human or better said a "human god". We can observe that OG has become less and less selfish:

• In an earlier episode, OG would destroy a world in order to save SJ which is the peak of selfishness. He didn't want his lover to die... he would even let many people die just for her.
  • But then he gave the tears of the mermaid to SJ so that she could meet her grandmother. He gave up on his own wish, to drink alcohol.
  • In the latest episode, he was even willing to let SM live like a normal human as he knew that's what she had ever wanted

On the other hand, SM who considered herself as a human and wanted to live like a normal human being has started accepting that she is different from the humans. She also has started sacrificing herself for others: OG and the humans who can be saved from demons. She has accepted her task. To me, her journey is the opposite: she is on her way to become a deity. I might be wrong but I sense that SJ could really die in order to save the world. I have the impression that she could be compared to Jesus Christ who was sacrificed in order to save the humans (their sins). Jesus Christ lived first as a human but he was different. But with his sacrifice, he went to Heaven and I have the impression that SJ could share the same fate.     

@larus@Yongzura

• Like 13

On 1/30/2018 at 10:51 PM, Ruique said:

Yogwe yess, but deities are supposed to make sure the mundane world function as it is, and care about the overall wellbeing of mankind. Guanyin, Earth Deity, and God of fortune are all examples of deities. They are supposed to be wholly white given their status as deities, but since some of them came from humans who died, they got influenced by their formerly human emotions. Deities who commit harm are sentenced down from heavens to suffer as humans in the mundane world, and can only go back up when they have finished their punishment. 

@Ruique Thank you for correcting me and for providing those great examples! Reading again what I wrote, I see that I painted with too broad of a brush. I have edited my original post to be a bit more explicit about what I meant.

On 2/1/2018 at 1:57 PM, haymochi said:

About mawang's ladylove Na chal yeo, i don't think she is that evil to just steal children soul?

maybe  she did that to save her dying kid with Mawang. Hence her punishment in life has always been her kid+ husband dying

[...]

@haymochi In ep9, Soo Bo Ri says to Ma Wang, "Princess Iron Fan was also an akgwi that ate up the souls of children, wasn’t she?" I think your idea would be a very fitting explanation of how her punishment was determined. Since she was supposedly consuming the children's souls, maybe their child was dying in the womb...? On the other hand, we have only seen the story of one of her reincarnations so far. The only thing we know about her current incarnation is that she was arrested with blood on her hands, right? We've yet to see if she actually committed a (revenge) crime and why. Maybe she goes through a different punishment each life.

On 1/30/2018 at 11:31 PM, aprilx said:

@Zelda Thanks for that comprehensive explaination! 

Just to point out tho, there was one ep where Secretary Dog said that SOG is a deity that’s kicked out of spiritual realm. 

So while he kept calling himself a monster, I thought that’s only because he’s unable to return to the spiritual realm (for now). 

On 2/1/2018 at 12:44 PM, ladysaotome said:

So question - what are Ma Wang, PK, Secretary Ma, General Frost/Summer Fairy? Yogwe? When PK said the driver of his van was a monster too, are they all yogwe?

I'll admit hearing about the bookseller helps a lot. Since she was the most normal looking akgwi we've seen so far, I thought she might be the same as Ma Wang/PK/etc. Especially since they were comparing her to Ma Wang's ladylove.

@ladysaotome and @aprilx, You're welcome! And those are all great points and questions. Let's have a "Who's what?" session, and while looking into it, I picked up so more terms, so I will throw those in there as well. -Once again, my knowledge of both the Korean language and Chinese and Korean folklore behind this story is small, so please let me know if I make a mistake somewhere. :wink: - All screencaps from VIKI.

What does the official website say about everyone? Is everyone a yogwe?

The character descriptions on the official website describe the following:

Ma Wang: A white bull yogwe

P.K.: A boar yogwe. (In episode 4, P.K. also said that his driver is a yogwe.)

Spoiler

ep4_1.pngep4_2.png

Secretary Ma: A dog yogwe

Sa Oh Jeong: Though he is a wealth attracting spirit and head of a large company, he is a yogwe who derives great happiness from doing household chores for Oh Gong. (Summarized, and I may have misinterpreted, but the Korean wikipedia page also calls him a wealth collecting yogwe. I think it is just a good idea to keep in mind that not all yogwe are animal based.)

Oryong: Great King Octopus, son of a Dragon King. He was banished for stealing a treasure of the Dragon King's palace. (So, from my understanding the Dragon King of the East Sea is a type of deity in many stories, so I guess that makes Oryong a deity as well, but the official website does not explicitly say that he is a deity. If someone has some insight, please do share!)

Winter General/Summer Fairy: Your guess is as good as mine. The official website is really stingy on any particulars concerning on the Winter General and the Summer Fairy doesn't get her own profile.

Something interesting to note, he is in his early forties. Whereas other supernatural characters are described as looking a particular age but being vastly older in years. The Korean wikipedia page links him to the Russian General Winter, but if he wasn't supposed to come into being until circa 1970's-early 80's, I'm not so sure how that would work.

I infer that he used to be pretty wild, got into trouble, and now he and his sister are punished to the human realm, where they are living quietly while redeeming themselves.

Guru Soo Bo Ri: Son Oh Gong’s teacher and friend of Ma Wang. A sly/shifty shinsun -more on what that is later- who conveys heaven’s will to the human realm. (Personal thoughts: Though they left his name the Korean version of Subhuti, I've gotta wonder what his motivations are... Is he manipulative but secretly in our OTP's corner or is he solely interested in maintaining the greater functioning of the world?)

And last but not least,

Son Oh Gong: A monkey yogwe born from a volcanic rock. He was titled "All Heavens Great Sage" (Jecheon Daeseong, I'm guessing that these are the hanja: 諸天大聖) for his outstanding talent and martial arts and became a shinsun of the heavenly realm, but due to his proud personality he committed a grave crime and was locked up as punishment.

신선 神仙; shinsunPer Naver: A "Taoist hermit with miraculous powers". It's also translated as "Taoist Immortal" and many other terms. It comes from the Taoist concept of Xian. From my understanding, a shinsun is an originally human or yogwe being who became divine through cultivation and enlightenment. Of course, not all deities are shinsun in Chinese and Korean folklore.

What is Oh Gong currently?

What did Ma Wang and Sec. Ma say about Oh Gong?

In episode 4, Ma Wang and Sec. Ma had the conversation that @aprilx previously mentioned. Ma Wang first calls himself a yogwe and then asks Sec. Ma if Oh Gong would not have trouble resisting the lure of Sam Jang's blood, since Oh Gong is a yogwe too.

Sec. Ma tells him, "If we consider all the facts, the Jecheon Daeseong is already a shinsun. He may have been kicked out of Heaven, but a shinsun is on another level from a yogwe."

Spoiler

ep2_3.png

ep2_4.png

ep2_5.png

And Sec. Ma is right. While Oh Gong's eyes sometimes change depending on his emotions and being caught in a trick, they don't change in reaction to Sun Mi's blood like Ma Wang's do, and did even before Oh Gong tricked him into drinking some blood. I think it is safe to say we will never see our monkey snuffling Sun Mi's footware.

What did Soo Bo Ri say about Oh Gong?

In episode 1, when explaining how Sun Mi got the fate of Sam Jang, Soo Bo Ri says, "As punishment for releasing a yogwe, she had to live with the fate of having to fight off all kinds of akgwi." And in ep8, while speaking to the Winter General about it not being surprising that Oh Gong still had the seasonings to cook Sam Jang with (as if he still had intentions to eat her), Soo Bo Ri says “Oh Gong is a yogwe after all.”

Spoiler

ep1_1.pngterms2.png

What does Oh Gong say about himself?

Though Oh Gong frequently refers to himself as a monkey and a "bad guy" and boasts about being the "Great Sage Equaling Heaven", he tends to be reticent about defining himself otherwise. In episode 1 when he first tricked Sun Mi, he told her, " And, Jin Seon Mi, I'm not a fairy. I'm... anyway, bye!" Did he not want her to know what he is, was he going to boast his full titled name and stopped, or did he hesitate to choose which he wants to live as, shinsun or yogwe? The only time I remember him getting close to defining himself, was years later in episode 1 when he asked the Winter General, "I heard that a yogwe who drinks the blood of Sam Jang gains amazing power. Could it be true?"

Spoiler

ep1_2.png

Am I remembering wrong? Please, do share if you remember another spot where he talks about himself as either a yogwe or a shinsun.

An Aside: What exactly was Sun Mi riling Oh Gong with when they first met again?

Oh Gong at least is pretty adamant about the fact that he is a great and powerful figure, so Sun Mi really got to him when she said the following:

Spoiler

ep1_3.pngep1_4.png

Sun Mi tells him that she learned he could just be a jabgwi, like a jibaglyeong.

잡귀 (雜鬼) jabgwi; demon, evil[mischievous] spirits (Naver): A jabgwi is a pretty “ordinary”, lowly type of evil spirit that tends to latch onto/possess humans.

지박령 (?靈)(JA kanji: 地縛霊) jibaglyeong: A jibaglyeong seems to be a variant of a jabgwi that is tied to one physical location and unable to leave.

Sun Mi is insinuating that Oh Gong must not be very powerful and had to possess her to leave that house, which is exactly the scenario that later happened with the teenager jibaglyeong whom she could not see in episode 10. Prompting Oh Gong to ask her, “[…] you can’t even see jabgwi anymore, huh? No wonder.”

Spoiler

ep10_1.png

What do people say about Na Cheol Nyeo?

Looking at Na Cheol Nyeo and contrasting it to Oh Gong's situation is also helpful for understanding what is going on with Oh Gong and the framework of this story's world, I think. As mentioned previously in this post, in episode 9, Soo Bo Ri says," Princess Iron Fan was also an akgwi that ate up the souls of children, wasn’t she?"

Later, Ma Wang tells Oh Gong, "She wasn’t just Na Cheol Nyeo(Princess Iron Fan); She used to be a shinsun.
"I was the one who turned her into the gwemul Na Cheol Nyeo."

Spoiler

ep9_3.pngep9_4.png

How does Oh Gong's punishment compare to Na Cheol Nyeo's, and what does that say about being a shinsun, yogwe, or akgwi as status or nature?

Na Cheol Nyeo was a shinsun who made choices that caused her eventually to turn into an akgwi. She leapt to her death, and received her punishment afterwards, to be reincarnated into a tragic human life for eternity. In Oh Gong's case, he committed a grave crime in the heavenly realm, and they tried to execute him by roasting him for 49 days, but being originally a yogwe born from volcanic rock, he survived. So they imprisoned him in the Five Elements Mountain in the human realm -though they left a way out, in that a human could release him. As expected of the heavens, prepping in advance for the coming of Sam Jang-. Oh Gong retains the great strength that he cultivated in becoming a shinsun, but has been stripped of his position in the heavens and is/has been living truer to his yogwe nature. I think that is why Soo Bo Ri, Ma Wang, etc. regard Oh Gong as a yogwe now.

Quick rundown of how I think things work in general in this story:

-akgwi can come into being as akgwi from the start, but it is also a state that shinsunyogwegwishin can eventually turn into depending on their deeds and other factors.

-shinsun, is a deific state and position that humans and yogwe can reach through cultivation and enlightenment.

Last thoughts for now, how does Oh Gong's punishment further place him in a similar situation to Ma Wang when it comes to Sun Mi?

When Oh Gong was frustrated about the process of being reinstated in the heavens, he had at one time decided to throw away the shinsun path, and live as an extremely powerful yogwe by consuming Sam Jang's blood, but as he falls in love with Sun Mi, more and more he is going to be confronted by the same problem that Ma Wang has: without a position as a shinsun he cannot guard the fate of a human on a heavenly level. Oh Gong will just have to keep trying his hardest right at her side.

Edited by Zelda
Misremembered what caused Oh Gong's release ^^; fixed now
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Hello there.. I've been a lurker here for a while now but this question has been gnawing at me that i just had to post.. :blink:

I've read most of the comments here (how i cope with waiting for Hwayugi eps) on the Kid-JSM contract and how it's tied (or not) to GGG. What i understood from eps 9 and 10 was that the bookseller demon took away SM's special abilities - she got the contract and Sam Jang abilities and so she was able to summon OG. But then we learn later on that OG still wears the GGG and is still in love with SM.

I thought i understood it, but i rewatched last week's episodes (what else can i do, can't help it), and at the end of ep9 we see the GGG glowing when the bookseller demon called SOG.

https://ibb.co/eMstPR

Does this mean BS was supposed to also hold the power of GGG but for some reason (real love?) it didn't work? Patriarch also said that they didn't know what activated GGG - if it's SJ or SM. Why would the GGG glow though? Isn't it supposed to be a different 'contract' (protection for kid-jsm, love for GGG)? I hope my question made sense, and that someone can explain this bit to me..

Thank you all for your insights! Hwayugi is such an interesting show that's seriously messing with my system. First 2 eps didn't do it for me, but ep3 onwards i got hooked. I'll have to blame the superb writing, and of course, Lee Seunggi, Cha Seung won (watched because of these two) and Oh Yeon Seo (didn't like her at first, but man the farewell scene really got me. she's a great actress!)

• Like 5

While i am i patiently waiting for tonight's episode, i am re-watching the show again... I am also reflecting on the question Mawang asked how can a mere human stop the end of the world? His thoughts are maybe SOG who is mightier will be the sacrifice not samjang...

1517646565935.jpg

My thoughts.. Maybe is not sacrifice in the form of death?? My theory is SamJang's power is not those mighty powers the demons possess but her power is her ability to care for others and in the process make people or demons care....that is the power that the world needs... So sacrifice here is about losing our selfishness... 

If she can make the demons care just like the way she does, they will be the ones who will protect the world.... It is not her or SOG but all of them have a part.... Noticed how Summer Fairy would lie to keep her safe, how PK protect BJ, how MW loves?

If the care they had for special individuals can be transferred to others, wouldn't the world be a better place? Notice how SOG started to help others besides SM, the love he had receive from SM made him less selfish.... 

1517646461510.jpg

Remember how SM managed to calm BJ by hugging her... She is no SJ but it is the love she had for BJ that stopped her from being evil... 

1517646495772.jpg

What do you think? 

• Like 9