[Drama 2017-2018] A Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi 화유기

larus

19 minutes ago, Liting1 said:

I wish the hair stylist for Oh Yeon Seo did a better job of doing her hair. She should just let it down or curl her hair. She looks way prettier than putting it in a ponytail. 

Anyways, I'm curious how both SM and OG will do if one of them knows about the death bell. Will they eventually let the other one go or endure the pain? It might be a heartbreaking scene. 

Agreed. OYS is so so pretty and has a perfect figure. And that grey coat has killed me. It doesn't fit OYS completely. I hope stylists will change SM's outfits like they did with all OG's wardrobe. Honestly I miss his crazy looks with fur coat and sneakers :lol:

And now when they finally know each other's feelings the ring bell is becoming the main problem. Oh, please, give them some rest.

• Like 6

Wasn't the Geum Gang Go deactivated for some time in ep 10? 

Hence Oh Gong can't even hear her and she can't call him.

Hence the bookseller was finding ways to activate it.

Oh Gong is in love with human Jin Sun Mi that's all.

He only wants her to be the owner.

it's confirmed that they love each other

the main problem right now is the death bell  and the apocalypse.

I actually find the pace of the drama cery good? Cos we are dealing with every demons every one or two eps that it doesn't get boring

As for OYs styling in this drama. Yes i hate it... luckily she has a pretty face so i don't get super annoyed.  But i guess she can't change outfit like Oh Gong... it's told in the drama that she always wears black, never wear make up, plain, and cover herself.  Very old fashion woman... hahaha

that's oh gong style. Don't criticize Her. He will get mad

• Like 9

48 minutes ago, maria_m2me said:

It is true that JSM can see ghost since beginning but her fate as Sam Jang she got because of SOG. About the grandma said someone will come to protect her, that's after she met SOG. When she met SOG, her grandmother was alive and she wanna take him to her grandmother, she only lived with her grandmother that time.

I am curious why her grandma sure SOG will come to protect her?

That time when grandma saved JSM from that ghost on the tree at the school (ep 2 beginning) and said about the protector in the future,  the grandma was already passed away, so that was just her "ghost", if you watch that part see how she appear suddenly and disappear at the and of that conversation, so she must know what the heaven decided about JSM, I mean send SOG to protect her. 

My thoughts about  deactivated GGG ... I'm not sure I noticed well, but when SOG showed the bracelet to MW in the cellar, one of the line was white (silver) than just the other was gold, while it's activated all is gold. Deactivated as SJ was disappeared (closed in the book, but to the reactivation was needed the kiss (what MW found out and told to the bookseller who tried to trick SOG impersonated JSM.

So it seems he was "freed" a little bit from GGG effect, but not from his own heart ;-)

27066908_950861965091532_346402506164435

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

What I'm not as clear on, btw, is how the bookseller knew to use a kiss to activate the geumganggo. She claimed she heard it from MW, but I thought that MW wasn't able to find out how SM had activated it either. Did I miss something?

If I'm remember well she told SOG when he asked how she knew about the kiss, that MW said to her (he, actually the dog secretary found out from Spring Fairy, who was close to JSM who probably told her what happened, how the GGG activated) ;-) 

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

It's not the geumganggo which enables OG to hear SM. It was the contract that SM and OG had struck when SM was a child that enables OG to hear SM call him wherever he or she happens to be.

The geumganggo just makes it so that OG loves SM so much that he can't bear for her to be hurt either physically or emotionally.

The bookseller was able to call OG because she had gotten the contract that the child SM had made with OG when the child SM decided to go into the book. So, OG can hear the bookseller. However, the bookseller was not the owner of the geumganggo, so she couldn't make OG do anything she wanted him to do. Instead, she got beaten up by OG for even attempting it, and he also warned her never to call him again.

The bookseller was looking for ways to activate the geumganggo to try to get OG into her thrall so that she can take advantage of OG.

What I'm not as clear on, btw, is how the bookseller knew to use a kiss to activate the geumganggo. She claimed she heard it from MW, but I thought that MW wasn't able to find out how SM had activated it either. Did I miss something?

MW found out through the Summer Fairy. The Secretary Ma was going to speak with her. Hence, I assume it was that way.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Liting1 said:

I wish the hair stylist for Oh Yeon Seo did a better job of doing her hair. She should just let it down or curl her hair. She looks way prettier than putting it in a ponytail. 

Anyways, I'm curious how both SM and OG will do if one of them knows about the death bell. Will they eventually let the other one go or endure the pain? It might be a heartbreaking scene. 

I think they put it in a ponytail for a reason. She didn’t want to stand out hence her restricted look? Or be in control...Maybe now that she has accepted herself as SJ she can change her look....

Most likely the death bell will pull them apart again...

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, stroppyse said:

First off, me, too! I mean in watching the kiss scene and smiling. :D The other dramas I'm watching right now are going through angsty parts, so watching the kiss scene and the flirtatious interactions at the end between OG and SM is a welcome relief. Plus, who knew the Monkey King could kiss like that?!

Also, I wonder if the GGG only works if the heart isn't already full of someone. There was a hint of that in the discussion that MW has with the Patriarch, and even between MW and Secretary of whether the owner of the geumganggo, meaning the owner of OG's heart can really change when it's so full of SM right now. I choose to be a romantic and think that OG's real love for SM now supersedes the love imposed by the geumganggo. :D 

Hahaha yes, that kiss is so passionate! Initially it may be fake love, but as time pass by, just like what you said, its becoming real love for OG towards JSM! :D For now, I just hope they can be lovey dovey for awhile before she realise that black bell actually symbolise fate of death... So far JSM still thought that it is a love bell & nobody knew JSM has that black bell.. :(

9 hours ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

the only plot hole is.. ggg is supposed to let monkey know what JSM is feeling.. so if she is crying or is upset..he should feel it.. then why does he not know that jsm is not happy with this whole farewell thing?

or maybe his own pain is interwined with her that he didn't realize his pain also reflects hers..or hers got lost while experiencing his own pain

Ah yes i agree with you on this part. Whenever JSM is crying or feeling hurt, OG should have felt the same hurt or sadness, base on my understanding on GGG. But so far it didnt really show this side of it.

Lol. Even when JSM was crying while leaving MW house in ep10, OG couldn't feel how sad & broken she was? 

• Like 6

You have to give it to the Hong Sisters - they do know their own mythology. Leaving the audience think that it would be the bracelet which would be taken away only for it to be the contract and Seon Mi’s special abilities which is utterly brilliant and logical. The Bookseller took away the little SM because she has powers to lure in lonely and sad children; however, while it was the child who was born with the ability to see ghost, entered into contract and was “punished” with the fate of being Sam Jang, it was THE ADULT SEON MI WHO PLACED THE GGG ON SON OH GONG’S WRIST. There are clearly still mysteries and secrets that shroud SM’s ghost-seeing abilities and the GGG and that is only well since there are still 10 episodes to go. In episode 1, Ma Wang knew that there is a person or persons who can see ghosts but she became SM only later - either it’s a talent which a few human might posses, perhaps a streak in her family, maybe it’s a predisposition for becoming Sam Jang; no doubt the writers will reveal the answer eventually.

WNGNmrZ.jpg

While the contract can’t be one-sidedly terminated, a one-sided transfer or rights and duties is possible (it really does work like an actual contract); the subject matter of the contract was that OG would come to protect SM whenever she called his name, he didn’t and was in breach of the contract therefore the GGG can be understood as a coercive means of enforcing that right. Since OG was able to find a loophole and break the contract with SM, there is no reason why he couldn’t do that with the demon and the only reason why he isn’t killing the Bookseller is because SM is in one of her books and it’s a way to give SM what he thinks she wants - an ordinary life.

owyrNgg.jpg

“Whether Geumganggo wa activated by Sam Jang’s abilities, or human Jin Seon Mi’s, that’s probably something only Oh Gong knows.” 

As mentioned before, it was the adult SM who activated the bracelet; it wasn’t her special abilities which allowed her to do that - IT WAS HER HUMANITY - her human emotions, feelings, hopes and longings. It was her human heart and Oh Gong’s heart answered to its calling. Since the very first episode many, including me, have been advocating that OG and SM were attracted to each other even before the GGG, and this only supports that theory further. And if it really turns out to be true it’d make a complete sense because Sam Jang is just a title and The Monkey King has never fallen in love with Sam Jang; he lost his heart to the very human Jin Seon Mi. Only Oh Gong’s heart knows.

tumblr_p3chs3CIfu1s8t96qo4_540.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

My take is: What the BS took is not time, but SM’s special ability that manifested in the form of little SM. When that special ability was taken away, all the events that were triggered became null. Which is why we still see adult SM. She didn’t disappear because only a part of her was locked away in the books. (It’s much like how we say each time someone close to us dies, a part of us dies along with them). 

Without her special ability, SM wouldn’t have freed SOG, wouldn’t have made that deal with SOG, and therefore, wouldn’t have been given the fate of SJ as punishment. She wouldn’t have to had GGG placed on SOG out of fear of being eaten, and therefore, wouldn’t have activated GGG.

It was a time-space discontinuum. Temporary disruption of time. 

During the whole time her special ability was locked away, GGG was actually de-activated. However, being a magical item, GGG cannot revert back to its original state immediately. 

However, without the compulsion of GGG, SOG showed himself to be truly in love with SM. Before GGG, he had admiration and fascination for her determination to live, and eventually, that fascination turned to love. :)

• Like 15

1 hour ago, candiilicious said:

Hahaha yes, that kiss is so passionate! Initially it may be fake love, but as time pass by, just like what you said, its becoming real love for OG towards JSM! :D For now, I just hope they can be lovey dovey for awhile before she realise that black bell actually symbolise fate of death... So far JSM still thought that it is a love bell & nobody knew JSM has that black bell.. :(

Ah yes i agree with you on this part. Whenever JSM is crying or feeling hurt, OG should have felt the same hurt or sadness, base on my understanding on GGG. But so far it didnt really show this side of it.

Lol. Even when JSM was crying while leaving MW house in ep10, OG couldn't feel how sad & broken she was? 

He didn’t felt as before as the GGG was “disconnected” I think  that time, since the bookseller captured the young JSM “soul” in the book. 

12 hours ago, candiilicious said:

Anyway my thought is that all along during this ep10, OG is still in love with JSM because of GGG, since it has not change owner yet.

Only the contract & the SJ fate went to the BS. He made JSM think that he doesn't love her anymore and that the owner of GGG is someone else. But actually OG is trying to hold back all his feelings towards JSM so that she can lead her ordinary life that she always wanted. (This is real love~~) The part when OG is telling OJ that he hid his feelings well at MW house. 

i am enlightened by the words highlighted in green! it is possible that OG sacrificial love was due to GGG and not his true nature after all. zomgggggggg.

i still want to see that nasty temper of a monkey in future episode making snide remarks at seon mi. (he was more of like a wounded monkey quarrelling with sm in ep 10)

and the contract went to bookseller... meaning she could call on OG anytime - which happened.

and i realised i have been confused all along

OG and SM have 2 things binding them together

contract - seon mi can summon OG by calling his name (wef: as a child - which was stolen by BS)

GGG - love (wef: adult seon mi - cannot be stolen by BS)

was confused that GGG allows sm to call on OG but actually it is something different. 

THANK YOU. am super enlightened. 

i guess i am super confused since i am struggling watching 60-90% subs and thankfully this forum helps me make sense of things. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, astrobooy said:

Anyway this "Sun-mi says vaguely that she heard that the Samshin Grandma connected a couple like that"  reminds me so much of my gf is a gumiho . Will shin min ah cameo here and makes JSM jealous:D

I don't think so. I noticed she is off public eyes because of her boyfriend.  I have really missed her too.

Why was that man shaking? Is it the power of the sj or happiness that it has returned?  That was the best scene for me and he did it so well. Somebody said,is he being electrocuted?:lol:

Edited by stroppyse
Please do not post consecutively within an hour. Please edit previous post instead. Thanks.
  • Like 1

Watch: Lee Seung Gi, Oh Yeon Seo, And Cha Seung Won Are Adorably Awkward In “Hwayugi” Compliment Relay

Cha-Seung-Won-Lee-Seung-Gi-Oh-Yeon-Seo1.

In a new exclusive interview, the stars of “Hwayugi” showcase their off-screen chemistry as they talk about what it’s like to work each other!

Cha Seung Won starts off the compliment relay by praising Lee Seung Gi, but when he struggles to find the right words, Lee Seung Gi jokes, “It’s not because you don’t like me, right?” Fortunately, Cha Seung Won eventually manages to successfully convey his thoughts.

Lee Seung Gi then goes on to praise Oh Yeon Seo, comparing her favorably to the other actresses he’s worked with.

more https://www.soompi.com/2018/01/29/watch-lee-seung-gi-oh-yeon-seo-cha-seung-won-adorably-awkward-hwayugi-compliment-relay/

Lee Hong Ki Thanks Close Friend Park Shin Hye For Surprise Food Truck On Set Of “Hwayugi”

Lee-Hong-Ki-Park-Shin-Hye.jpg

On January 30, Lee Hong Ki shared a video of samgyetang (ginseng chicken soup) that Park Shin Hye sent for the cast and crew of “Hwayugi.”

He wrote, “Ah….I am so touched…This is what it feels like…. Thank you so much, Shin Hye!!!!!I will enjoy the food and do well with filming!!!!!!!!” He included the hashtags, “Hwayugi,” “food truck,” “Park Shin Hye,” “loyalty,” and “amazing.”

The banner she sent features a photo of the two and the message, “HongP.K~ Eat a lot, eat it twice, oink oink. ‘Hwayugi’ team, enjoy the warm food and film safely. From actress Park Shin Hye.”

In the clip, Lee Hong Ki says, “I was very touched by this surprise from Park Shin Hye. Thank you so much. I will work hard on filming. Thank you.”

https://www.soompi.com/2018/01/29/lee-hong-ki-thanks-close-friend-park-shin-hye-surprise-food-truck-set-hwayugi/

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, darr said:

Why was that man shaking? Is it the power of the sj or happiness that it has returned?  That was the best scene for me and he did it so well. Somebody said,is he being electrocuted?:lol:

If you mean Ma Wang I think  he was shaking because SJ came back, her blood effect back on MW also, and it seemed also that suplement cure side effect came back what dog secretary brought to him from paddler’s store. 

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, IliK said:

If you mean Ma Wang I think  he was shaking because SJ came back, her blood effect back on MW also, and it seemed also that during suplement side effect came back what dög secretary brought to him from paddler’s store. 

Thank u so much.  I just jumped into the drama from episodes 9 and 10. Yet to get the hang of the story until I watch all.  Will watch all and join in the discussion. I love this drama.

LHK my favourite voice in k music industry is here too. 

• Like 2

The theory about Oh Gong wasn't left SM alone in her last 25 years, i think the theory is right. I do think Oh Gong protect her some way without seeing her, I mean he could sent the fire from the candle (or something else) to destroy the evil spirit from his place without showing up infront of little JSM. How could Oh Gong knows SM was in danger? In ep 3, SOG said to SM "I can only come when you desperately think about me" , so when little JSM in danger she would desperately think that the fairy will come to protect her so the help from Oh Gong will come to protect her.  

In the first episode when adult JSM and SOG met for the first time, SOG seems really surprise of how JSM looks like and amazed because she still recognize him after not seeing him for last 25 years, based of it, i come to think SOG wasn't seeing JSM for the last 25 years..

It just my guess, hope the next episodes will show us what we curious about

• Like 3