[Drama 2017-2018] A Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi 화유기

larus

9 hours ago, briseis said:

It's a visual foreshadowing, a cinematic means to hint things that are going to happen, NOT A PROPHECY. Tha painting is only a copy, SM has it because she likes it. It doesn't show that she is rich, the safe full of money does. There was no need to feature a painting. General rule of thumb in kdramas - if there is a painting it has a meaning and symbolism. Why else choose a painting that features a kiss and is probably one of the most famous paintings of a kiss in the world? VISUAL FORESHADOWING AND SYMBOLISM. Because that's the Hong Sisters' signature style. They do this in their dramas - referencing a famous painting and then portraying it and its symbolism on screen (ex.: Big, You're Beautiful - The Creation of Adam):

Hmm.. i know what you mean by foreshadowing but my thought process was to use any symbollism or artifact to hint forthcoming events.. that artifact or symbollism must be introduced in the story for audience accordingly...

E.g this painting in storys timeline has been there forever... so if at all i would use it interpret sunmis character that she is desperately seeking romantic love.. where she is beta given how man embraces d woman..is taller broad shoulders etc..

For it to foreshadow the kiss this painting should have been introduced in the story at a much later time after this drama started..where we actually see why or how it came into being so that we know its a conscious choice n result of some current factors..e.g last year someone had a theory that grim reaper is king based on sun shaped mirror in his room... now that room came into being during the course of story.. and we know his interiors were his..so putting up sun shaped mirror does mirror his being king ( sun being asaociated with royalty)

Back to painting.. since it was brought im picture only when mawang wonders if sunmi has money ( we didnt see it before or after that comment) i thought the purpose was to show she is filthy rich

4 hours ago, RobinM said:

Ahh. And a mere human realtor can bring  to heal via Cotten candy and aegyo :D

Whom r u calling mere.. she will close the gates of hell becsuse even gods are incspable of.

Lol

God are funny.. on one hand they say they  control everything and then on another.. they r like ptoject managers.. averting day to day risks lol

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

8 hours ago, haymochi said:

Agree she is in a helpless situation but she is not thr typical female lead. Her character is serious, mature,  and successful.. but do people really love seeing a 30 year old woman acting like an innocent little girl? lol

Idk about social media but from the comments i read people have been spazzing  about their chemistry:...

@jinsunmi lmao... but her movie with park hae jin isn't even out yet? I personally love her chemistry with everyone (even lee honey) but esp with LSG .. maybe because they are about the same age. They also said  during press conference that they both have good teamwork.

I also love her chemistry with Janghyuk.. and yes her chemistry with joowon was

so so (gonna blame the writing for this)

((lol, i don't know about the movie but at least in real life/bts vid they seem to be close since his birthday party and particularly hers, thank you PHJ's stylist and her friend who posted all their private pictures for 0.05 sec :lol:.))

For the people who don't like the chemistry of OYS/LSG,

i always see them saying she looks too "old" but SJ isn't she supposed to be 35/6?

is awkward or she is not good enough for LSG...:( if she is good enough for JW/JH/BI then she is good enough for LSG, at least they are not insulting her when she post about hwayugi in her instagram,

because sometimes when she post about her movie the comments are wild.

(she was super pretty here)

giphy.gif

• Like 9

5 hours ago, carolinedl said:

He he, you said it right; his love-hate relationship with his love life! That is exactly that...

Speaking of which, the preview for next episode got me interested because of the mermaid case. He said that because the mermaid fell in love with a human, she probably wanted to kill that human. Seems like he understands her because he is going through the same thing. His desire to kill SJ can thus be explained by him wanting not to love, which means he is probably very aware of his feelings...

I'm looking forward to the mermaid story line as well, interested to see where the Hongs' take it. In the original story, the mermaid goes through excruciating pain to gain legs and be near her love.  She also could not bring herself to kill the prince so she could live after he married another.  And like SOG she is given a chance to perform good deeds to rise up into Kingdom of God. 

Or it could just be another meta moment harkening back to MGIAGH :) We'll see.......

On another note, I'm so curious about the "frozen" bracelet.  I want to think SOG was being sincere, but I'm more inclined to think not.  He, formed out of lava, how could he not feel the bracelet freeze?  I think he and Frosty came up with the plan to 1) give him the chance to eat SJ if he wanted or 2) endear himself to her to belay his bruised ego.  

LOVING this show so far!!!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm glad that so many people feels their chemistry. LSG and OYS both are the same age, but I have to admit that LSG looks quite young for his age :lol:. As for OYS, she is pretty and looks more mature. It suits SJ role that was lonely and independent since young age. I love that OYS got the role rather than having young actress and make SJ cute and bubbly character. 

I read somewhere that the role of SOG was offered to Park Bo Gum before? I can't imagine the role of SOG goes to another actor other than Lee Seung Gi. He is perfect as SOG. :D 

As for the SOJ actor that got into car accident, I hope he's alright and recover soon :)

• Like 7

I read the actor SOJ got a full check up and he is all good. Phew.... i don't want anyone to get hurt again

samjamg role is supposed to be 31+ anyway... so her styling fits the role. 

OYS looks youthful when she was dressed as Hongseol

I'm happy to get a mature sensible and independent female lead for once. Oh Gong is childish so a mature lady is needed to tame him lol

imagine him with a kiddish female lead. They gonna wreck the world ^_^

• Like 10

4 hours ago, astrobooy said:

If im not mistaken in original novel SOG is considered at the same level as erlan shen who is the strongest warrior of heaven

"Wukong later single-handedly defeats the Army of Heaven's 10,000 celestial warriors, all 28 constellations, four heavenly kings, and Nezha, and proves himself equal to the best of Heaven's generals, Erlang Shen. Eventually, through the teamwork of Taoist and Buddhist forces, including the efforts from some of the greatest deities, and then finally by the Bodhisattva of mercy, Guanyin, Sun Wukong is captured"

That is why the only way to punish/imprison SOG, since he was so powerful, was with the help of Buddha. Buddha was the one that created the Five Element Mountain, to which the mountain resembles the five fingers of Buddha- "I have you in the palm of my hand". Sam jang was the only one that can set him free from this prison, after 500 years of imprisonment. 

Im really curious about the iron fan princess and the ma wang story depiction in hwayugi. Especially since hong sister didn't mention anything about their son. Maybe in the finale, iron fan princess will become pregnant/give birth in the heavenly relam with ma wang next to her "... and they lived happily ever after"

• Like 7

9 Times “Hwayugi” Episodes 5 And 6 Drove Us Crazy

Lee-Seung-Gi-Oh-Yeon-Seo-Cha-Seung-Won-e
It’s the third week for tvN’s weekend drama “Hwayugi,” and things are really starting to heat up — both literally and in the romance (and bromance) department. Whether from cuteness, hilarity, or even frustration, Episodes 5 and 6 had plenty of moments that made us crazy. Read on to find out our top 9!

1. When things got steamy

The dynamic between Son Oh Gong (Lee Seung Gi) and Jin Sun Mi (Oh Yeon Seo) is getting more and more complex. And while Oh Gong continues to blame the magical Geum Gang Go bracelet for his feelings towards Sun Mi, there’s no denying that these two have some palpable chemistry. This was pretty obvious when they had to engage in a little skinship to lure out a motel-haunting demon…

Oh-Yeon-Seo-e1516106205153.jpg

2. When Oh Gong and Sun Mi were cute

In addition to their steamy chemistry, Oh Gong and Sun Mi are also absolutely adorable together, and we’re equally crazy for their cute interactions. Like when Sun Mi introduced Oh Gong to his new favorite food:

Lee-Seung-Gi-Oh-Yeon-Seo-5.gif
read more https://www.soompi.com/2018/01/16/hwayugi-episodes-5-6/

• Like 11

We cannot deny the amazing chemistry between LSG and OSY, I also found out that they are born 1987....same year.

The cast is so good I cannot imagine the characters being played by other artists. I especially love the chemistry of everyone especially when they are group chatting.

Is it just me? I really love the chemistry going on between Bu Ja and PK

• Like 10

episode 06 is sooo good , it’s worth bajillion rewatchs if only i had the time for it. watched it only once with subs and i probably missed a lot . 

-loved oh gong and mawangs frenimy bromance , so petty but suits their monkey vs bull civil wars at home 

-loved everything to do with buja , her dance was epic . wishing hongki buja love line , hongki needs some depth to his charactor and buja needs topstar pk not rot away 

-holy richard simmons sec dog was not kidding when she kept on asking shall i kill them . i love her feirce loyality to mawang , hopefully he won’t have to actually kill her for something, mawang is hurting enough with one woman . 

- frosty is also bioplar , or he is just too loyal to oh gong and wants to help him out of his misry by either removing samjang or removing the pain in her heart so oh gong won’t be in pain . 

- sa oh joung is too pure for this world and praying for speedy recovery for the actor who plays him

- cotton candy scene was mostly seunggi being seunggi  oh gong going more more is so seunggi 

- i loved mermaid story in mgig but since then it’s done to death so i’m curious how they will play it . 

- loved the confession and hope the doubt lot oh people have wether it’s trick is not true . 

• Like 3

whoever think tha yoensoe looks old for seunggi needs to pay more attention to their chemistry . in my opinion she is seunggi’s best costar. she’s so gorgous have a killer body and off the chart acting chops . i just hate her outfits though i understand why she’s dressed like that. but since oh gong keep hinting shopping for clothes and not liking black and that one time he went gaga over her red dress might mean samjang will get a hot make over and will stop dressing down . 

• Like 9
  • LOL 2

New official images of Oh Gong and Ma Wang from previous episodes

MwKfiwr.jpg

8qTD5X3.jpg

Spoiler

uaTXep5.jpgvOgR8JK.jpg

source: tvN official website

And a picture of Michael K. Lee (the photographer) and his bodyguards/assistants (posted by one of the actors on his instagram

• Like 8

Hmm the first love actor looks old but i love his charisma. You can sense he is a getleman , the way he talks is so smooth and charming haha :wub:

how can i wait till Sat to see Oh Gong burning with jealousy????

and yes. I don't like how they dress Sunmi.. but i guess it's her trademark and suits her character.. Hoping for a make over that gonna make Monkey go :astonished:

• Like 15

4 hours ago, hikaru_dawn said:

We cannot deny the amazing chemistry between LSG and OSY, I also found out that they are born 1987....same year.

The cast is so good I cannot imagine the characters being played by other artists. I especially love the chemistry of everyone especially when they are group chatting.

Is it just me? I really love the chemistry going on between Bu Ja and PK

so what does she call him? .. unlike oppa.. seungishi? seungi? :tongue: 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

13 hours ago, gf sherry said:

Finally, was able to watch ep 5, so literally these two is  “IN GETTING TO KNOW EACH OTHER STAGE” in this episode, maybe the great sage is falling for her gradually. He was happy upon learning that they both like green color, he was like a teenager that basing their compatibility because they had a common likes or interest. Also Ma wang is already suspicious when Sam Jang refuse to go in the film with Oh Gong, though she said her reason is to protect from Ma Wang since that bull king tried to locked SOG in the old picture. Sam Jang used the words OUR SON OH GONG, and the naughty monkey’s heart flutters again.  :wub::wub::wub:

Maybe, if SM didn’t say about being tormented because of SOG fake affection for her, that she’s afraid to be in love to him, (unfortunately Sam Jang had fallen for him) maybe the king monkey will never put SM to danger. Though he can protect Sam Jang from harm, ma wang is he’s equal in terms of power and strength. They are the strongest demon around SJ.

I watched the 6 ep too, but just the first part,  Chang seung won acting is superb. Will watch it fully if times allows me. GOOD DAY TO ALL!

Nope. In new journey to the west. Sohn oh gong is the strongest of all enough to beat all the best warriors in heaven and he even challenge and tried to take the jade emperors power. That's how strong he is. That's why when SOG AND Mawang tried to clash their powers.. After that MAwang was tired and he got a nosebleed. 

• Like 11