[Drama 2017-2018] A Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi 화유기

larus

tvn weekend dramas (8 pm KST) ratings rocketed straight up after My Golden Life and  2018 Winter Olympics ended.

Unlucky Hwayugi. :( 

But still, I'm happy that Hwayugi popularity was proven through SOG haircut among korean teenagers and kids. :lol:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Found this drama to be highly enjoyable as Goblin which shares similar storyline, ie. lead actor / actress fate will be ended with either one of them taking the other party life which makes it somewhat a tragic love story that would leave a lasting memory on the audiences..... 

each episode progresses with very interesting events where i found its side plots / characters are meaningful in developing the storyline unlike other typical dramas which are meant to only lengthen the drama screening period to 1 hour...

moreover, i did not realise the lead actress was the same one that had appeared in Come Back Mister opposite Rain which shows her acting ability was not fully revealed in that drama...two thumbs up for Oh Yeon Seo performance...

finally, the jokes & humours thrown by Lee Seung Gi and Cha Seung Won really made this drama a worthwhile watch.. :-)

• Like 5
  • Blob 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 3/24/2019 at 12:16 AM, Mary Pacete said:

Guys, do you know who is Ma wang’s son?

Do you mean which character or the actor?

Spoiler

Ma Wang's son is the boy from the peddler woman's shop. The actor is Jung Jae-won aka ONE.

On a side note, I noticed Hwayugi is finally on Netflix again. Finally!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 3/3/2018 at 7:36 PM, briseis said:

It's a deleted scene from episode 2 during their fake date together with this scene

why was it deleted? so its not there in the drama anymore? and there was a karioke scean where ogong sang for samjang... is a deleted scean too?

• 1 month later...

Hello, "Hwayugi" fans: I'm hoping a Korean speaker who watched this show can help me out with a question.  I recently watched the show, and I'm tempted to write a fanfiction story involving Lee Han-Joo's future with Hanbit Real Estate, and the future of the Winter General.  But as an English-speaker with very little knowledge of Korean, I'm having a difficult time figuring out what the names of the characters described in the subtitles/English-language discussions as "Winter General" (or General Winter, General Frost, etc.) and "Summer Fairy" are in the actual Korean used in the show.  I have seen "Winter General" called "Dong Janggun" (Eastern General?); is that what he's actually referred to as in the show?  And I've seen Summer Fairy rendered as "Fairy Ha," but I've had a difficult time figuring out what this name might actually mean, since "Ha," as far as I can learn, doesn't seem to mean "Summer."  And what is "Fairy" in Korean?  At any rate--if someone can help me out with this, it will be deeply appreciated.  Many thanks!

• 2 months later...
On 1/27/2018 at 6:58 PM, mufalo said:

And this. Is that black eye? It looks like someone already kicked her up. Maybe secretary M did it.

Does any one know the brand of the glasses? 

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks! :)

• 6 months later...

Up to episode 17 now and I hope this has a happy ending. I'm liking the drama very much and this is the first drama with Oh Yeon-seo that I've watched and she has captivating eyes and dimples and quite pretty as well. Lee Se-young is also quite versatile, from the sweet and shy Richie to the evil and calculating Ah Sanyeo. Lee Seung-gi is always good and I noticed he is usually paired with a gorgeous lady. 

• Like 3

Just finished the drama and the ending was not actually as bad as I thought it would be because of Seon-mi's death. I like the open-ended ending and even thought I doubt there will be a part 2, as least the drama ended on a positive note.

One thing I liked was when Son Oh-gong and the Demon King were discussing a "hotel for spirits" while overlooking the river were the black dragon was killed. Is this just coincidence or they were actually alluding to Hotel del Luna which was also written by the Hong sisters?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Bojun said:

Just finished the drama and the ending was not actually as bad as I thought it would be because of Seon-mi's death. I like the open-ended ending and even thought I doubt there will be a part 2, as least the drama ended on a positive note.

One thing I liked was when Son Oh-gong and the Demon King were discussing a "hotel for spirits" while overlooking the river were the black dragon was killed. Is this just coincidence or they were actually alluding to Hotel del Luna which was also written by the Hong sisters?

Hotel del Luna was written after Hwayugi so who knows?! That's a cool idea though. lol

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I just watched this drama now and loved it!!!  I wanted to add:  When the leads were in the luxury hotel suite (episode 18?) drinking tea, I noticed the beautiful porcelain teapot and matching teacups. There was a swan (wings open, ready to fly?) on the lid of the teapot. Swans symbolize love, devotion and trust, so appropriate for this couple!!!  I thought that was a nice touch for this romantic, intimate scene, and I like to think that the set designer/ set dresser chose that tea set on purpose because of the symbolism.  Also, it's expensive and elite enough to be in a luxury suite, and is made in Korea by Hankook Chinaware. 

Screenshot of tea drinking at hotel here: 

https://imgur.com/a/YtRJpJf

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Soompi & Viki Staff Talk: What Is Your Favorite K-Drama Featuring Romance With An Otherworldly Being?

Mar 2, 2023

“Soompi & Viki Staff Talk” has returned with another drama discussion! For this edition, some of our staff members talk about fantasy K-dramas that feature romance with an otherworldly being.

These are our staff’s favorites!

Ginny: “Hwayugi

hwayugi.jpeg

Do you believe in destiny when it comes to love? I do, and if you also believe in destined love, you must watch “Hwayugi.” Jin Seon Mi (Oh Yeon Seo) runs a real estate business and has the ability to see spirits. Son Oh Gong (Lee Seung Gi) is trying to do good deeds in order to have his immortal status restored by Heaven, and he is put in the position where he must protect Seon Mi from supernatural forces. The two first met 25 years ago, and although Oh Gong erased Seon Mi’s memory about himself, they are still tied together by the deal they made back then. Destined to be together since they first met, they gradually fall for each other as they go through various circumstances and obstacles together. If you believe in true destined love, you must watch this series!

https://www.soompi.com/article/1569408wpp/soompi-viki-staff-talk-what-is-your-favorite-k-drama-featuring-romance-with-an-otherworldly-being