Quantcast
larus

[Drama 2017-2018] A Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi 화유기

Glad to hear that they are gonna add in the deleted scenes probably the original ending (If the rumours were true) in jap version!

Yes, now im hoping we can have access to jap version too!

if not just release the dvd with all the cut bts scene, deleted scenes and the better ending heehe :tongue:

• Like 6

On 3/10/2018 at 12:40 PM, YourHighness . said:

LHJ will be fine as we saw from the flash of future that JSM had.

Yes. Her body rests in Sureumdong..or maybe SOG burned it so that no demon would get in and try to eat her body to gain strength.

Sorry @YourHighness . to cut your post short. That's what I'd like to think too that her body is now at peace in Sureumdong.

I think SOG doesn't have the heart to burn her though :grin:

On 3/10/2018 at 12:14 PM, sadpluto said:

I don't think he mentioned not finding her corpse. He just said she got in a car accident and her relatives didn't even bother with a proper funeral. We haven't really been told what happened to her corpse. One more unanswered question. I'm getting pissed again.:angry:

@haymochi I wish there were 2 more episodes as well. I still remember a few weeks ago when we were all confused because one of the websites cited this show having 22 episodes. Some of us were excited that this show might have had an extension, alas it turned out to be false news. Though this show would have benefited with an extension, I guess they had major budget constraints.:(

@sadpluto  Your comment made me go back to download newer version of subtitle from Viki!! And it's indeed as you said!

LHJ didn't mention not finding her corpse but mentioned her relatives not bothering to give her a proper funeral. Guess it's time to rewatch with newer sub :D

Still I am under an impression that SOG was the one burying her before going off to fight the Black Dragon. Could even think

that he sealed her off with his power so that he could retrieve her soul back from the Netherworld afterward. But then he lost

his memory. I firmly believe he definitely wouldn't allow anyone to touch her corpse,

even more so if it's her heartless relatives who he'd seen firsthand mistreating Sun Mi for her entire human life.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, toxicblood said:

Sorry @YourHighness . to cut your post short. That's what I'd like to think too that her body is now at peace in Sureumdong.

@sadpluto  Your comment made me go back to download newer version of subtitle from Viki!! And it's indeed as you said!

LHJ didn't mention not finding her corpse but mentioned her relatives not bothering to give her a proper funeral. Guess it's time to rewatch with newer sub :D

Still I am under an impression that SOG was the one burying her before going off to fight the Black Dragon. Could even think

that he sealed her off with his power so that he could retrieve her soul back from the Netherworld afterward. But then he lost

his memory. I firmly believe he definitely wouldn't allow anyone to touch her corpse,

even more so if it's her heartless relatives who he'd seen firsthand mistreating Sun Mi for her entire human life.

Judging from SOG character, he won't let anyone go near Sunmi's body.  I think other than the pain and memory loss, the reason he sealed Sireumdong was because of that reason too. I don't think he will ever bury her body... he gonna retrieve her soul and bring her back

Uurgh stupid writers *sorry*..  still can't believe they wrote such scripts for the last ep. I'm still bitter that Sunmi's miserable life since birth because of her burdensome fate was made into a joke

anyhow read that the ending was like that because of the time constraint in when filming the last ep???

• Like 4

10 hours ago, nrbrown said:

@YourHighness . Thanks for reminding me about the scene. I wish she was still trapped tho. Maybe we can play, Where in the world is Buja? B)

Ah yes SOG the cheobol. Rather short lived. But at least 503 couple had a wonderful time at the penthouse. Wasn’t wasted. Phew! :wink:

LOL yeah..that was the only good thing that came off of SOG becoming the CEO of M group. I wonder if having hanky panky without demons with super hearing nearby, is why they made him into the CEO, so he would have the penthouse for the deed. :lol:

6 hours ago, toxicblood said:

Yeah, I don't think he burned her either..he couldn't bear it since that would be too final..a goodbye of sorts and we all know SOG is a fighter and a rebel. After his heartbreak, I am sure he got angry, we even saw that in the episode when he glanced at the heaven, full of rage before he was shown walking towards the sword to defeat the Dragon. 

I think we can safely imagine that between those scenes, he had her body hidden somewhere in Seureumdong..a part of me thinks, he won't bury her..he probably encompassed her in a bubble of his power and maybe submerged her in the lake. She died in front of it. The lake would be handy to keep her body unharmed and clean.

BTW, I wonder if JSM's relative didn't give her a funeral just because they didn't care about her or also because they got pissed that their meal ticket is gone and they won't even get her inheritance. Whatever it is..they are just vile creatures. :angry:

The reason I think the ending hurt me so much..even though I know that SOG will break her out of LoD and live with her forever happily is that JSM's life was just so sad, pitiful and lonely. I feel so bad for her. At least Buja had her mother and her love. I have a feeling, JSM lived by herself after her grandmother died. Her uncle must have refused to take her in. After so much pain, she died in vain..that was too painful for me to bear. If only I had seen her happy, I would have let the show go but the ending showed JSM dead and SOG alone but off to get her. We never got a resolution, a closure.

7 hours ago, candiilicious said:

Glad to hear that they are gonna add in the deleted scenes probably the original ending (If the rumours were true) in jap version!

Yes, now im hoping we can have access to jap version too!

if not just release the dvd with all the cut bts scene, deleted scenes and the better ending heehe :tongue:

How I hope this comes true. But when will the show air it's last episode in Japan? How long do we have to wait?

Maybe the ending needed CGI and the team didn't have enough time for it so rather than give us a half baked scene, they cancelled it altogether and showed us that crappy sunset drive scene?

Edit: Can someone pm me links for raw episodes of Hwayugi please? Torrents are also fine. Episodes 1-4.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2018 at 3:09 PM, briseis said:

So what happened? How terrible it must have been to make OG lose all trust in humans forever? Who betrayed him - a man or a woman? Did OG care for that person? Did he love him/her? 

I thought they explained this with the story about him stopping the smoke from the mountains and how he did it for attention, not for humankind's sake, and that's why he was punished and the humans didn't care?

I think it says something about how much this drama resonated with people (and how empty the ending left us) that this thread is still going strong over a week after the finale aired. :heart:

• Like 5

3 hours ago, ladysaotome said:

I thought they explained this with the story about him stopping the smoke from the mountains and how he did it for attention, not for humankind's sake, and that's why he was punished and the humans didn't care?

I think it says something about how much this drama resonated with people (and how empty the ending left us) that this thread is still going strong over a week after the finale aired. :heart:

The betrayal was such a huge motivation for OG, explaining why he was the way he was, that it deserved more than a one passing mention. There should have been flashbacks and more depth and more detail. Also, it's inconsistent and contradictory to what was mentioned about it previously - it was said that OG was betrayed by A HUMAN (one specific) not humans - also OG never adressed it whenever SM asked; it also doesn't explain  why OG was so affected by the mermaid story. The thing is that throughout the whole story it was shown that this betrayal hurt him deeply, so much that it created a lasting disdain for humans in him. The disdain and hurt was deep but then MW said that OG didn't do it because he cared for humans so logically their betrayal shouldn't have hurt him much. However, the mermaid tale and also how he advises BJ to seek revenge and how he despises humans show that he was hurt. You can get hurt only when you care. Even OG himself said that himself. Therefore this is a huge writing mistake on Hong Sisters' part. Finally, your character mainstory isn't something you mention in the last episode, at a point where it doesn't even matter anymore, like a by-the-way.

qVGXnD6.png

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, briseis said:

The betrayal was such a huge motivation for OG, explaining why he was the way he was, that it deserved more than a one passing mention. There should have been flashbacks and more depth and more detail. Also, it's inconsistent and contradictory to what was mentioned about it previously - it was said that OG was betrayed by A HUMAN (one specific) not humans - also OG never adressed it whenever SM asked; it also doesn't explain  why OG was so affected by the mermaid story. The thing is that throughout the whole story it was shown that this betrayal hurt him deeply, so much that it created a lasting disdain for humans in him. The disdain and hurt was deep but then MW said that OG didn't do it because he cared for humans so logically their betrayal shouldn't have hurt him much. However, the mermaid tale and also how he advises BJ to seek revenge and how he despises humans show that he was hurt. You can get hurt only when you care. Even OG himself said that himself. Therefore this is a huge writing mistake on Hong Sisters' part. Finally, your character mainstory isn't something you mention in the last episode, at a point where it doesn't even matter anymore, like a by-the-way.

Actually the word used for human and humans is almost same....so it was just an assumption by the subbers that it was a betrayal by ONE HUMAN.

And SOG used to be very narcissistic and the fact that the humans forgot him after he helped them out and got imprisoned that must have stuck in his craw. I am not surprised he felt so betrayed even though he didn't care about humans.

But I agree that the show should have cleared up his backstory way before and maybe even showed it to us, instead of using the exposition fairy. Which annoys me because we all watch shows to SEE...if we wanted to imagine, a book would be readily available with a guaranteed happy ever after with all plot threads tied.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, YourHighness . said:

And SOG used to be very narcissistic and the fact that the humans forgot him after he helped them out and got imprisoned that must have stuck in his craw. I am not surprised he felt so betrayed even though he didn't care about humans.

This. If the book is anything to go by, all he pretty much ever cared about was himself and maybe his kingdom on monkeys. And remember how massively callous he was in the first episode? He may have felt betrayed by the humans but it was a childish, narcissistic betrayal. It didn't form who he was, if anything it just probably reinforced his previous notions. I always felt the main point of the mermaid episode was 1) the way the Sun Mi took the mermaid's side once she understood the facts - that, I think, was a huge and unexpected act from Oh Gong's perspective  2) the way he identified with the mermaid in the fact that Sun Mi may choose to not return his love (which he was confronted with again at the end when Jonathan turns up) and the whole "is he as pitiful as the mermaid" question which she answered both of which were her taking huge steps toward him and his point of view. 

I do think the episode flags the human betrayal issue as something bigger than it ended up being though. They should have either not said anything or explained it right away because the way we heard about it later was deflating.

• Like 5

Apparently, someone said TVN won't make a season 2 if there's only 1k voters. They want 1 million in order to make a season 2. Haha. Crazy. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Confused 1

I don't think we will need season 2, we just need a proper closure or a special ep or movie for our OTP :dissapointed_relieved:

Currently watching Jibsabu to cure my withdrawal syndrome for Oh Gong~~

• Like 3

True... i really need a proper closure

22 eps would have been perfect to finish the otp story+ Connect SOG's past+ Mawang  and his son the red boy :(

i still miss hwayugi so badly

6 hours ago, ladysaotome said:

This. If the book is anything to go by, all he pretty much ever cared about was himself and maybe his kingdom on monkeys. And remember how massively callous he was in the first episode? He may have felt betrayed by the humans but it was a childish, narcissistic betrayal. It didn't form who he was, if anything it just probably reinforced his previous notions. I always felt the main point of the mermaid episode was 1) the way the Sun Mi took the mermaid's side once she understood the facts - that, I think, was a huge and unexpected act from Oh Gong's perspective  2) the way he identified with the mermaid in the fact that Sun Mi may choose to not return his love (which he was confronted with again at the end when Jonathan turns up) and the whole "is he as pitiful as the mermaid" question which she answered both of which were her taking huge steps toward him and his point of view. 

I do think the episode flags the human betrayal issue as something bigger than it ended up being though. They should have either not said anything or explained it right away because the way we heard about it later was deflating.

The writer just became so lazy esp with the 2 last eps.. i can't believe the pd would approve those scripts lmao

idk what's with k-drama writers recently. The love building momentum, anticipation then ruined them through 2-3 eps of finals. 

• Like 2

Really hope they will include the deleted scenes.

Airs on 4/01 @6:15-7:45 Tokyo time = so I have D-19 to figure out how to live stream mnet japan.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Liting1 said:

Apparently, someone said TVN won't make a season 2 if there's only 1k voters. They want 1 million in order to make a season 2. Haha. Crazy. 

Where are these votes? If we share the link on fanpages, we can get more fans to vote on it.

And TVN has made seasons for other shows without any votes and demand by the viewers. Why do they need votes for Hwayugi? BTW weren't Knetz signing some petitions for Season 2? What happened to that?

3 hours ago, candiilicious said:

I don't think we will need season 2, we just need a proper closure or a special ep or movie for our OTP :dissapointed_relieved:

Currently watching Jibsabu to cure my withdrawal syndrome for Oh Gong~~

Yeah, even a special episode..of 15-20 minutes would do..even 5 minutes where SOG meets JSM and gets her out of the Land of Dead. I'm seriously afraid IF there is a season 2 then the OTP or one of them..mostly JSM may change. So a special would be better.

2 hours ago, haymochi said:

True... i really need a proper closure

22 eps would have been perfect to finish the otp story+ Connect SOG's past+ Mawang  and his son the red boy :(

i still miss hwayugi so badly

The writer just became so lazy esp with the 2 last eps.. i can't believe the pd would approve those scripts lmao

idk what's with k-drama writers recently. The love building momentum, anticipation then ruined them through 2-3 eps of finals. 

Even episode 21..I don't really care about MW and his son storyline. LOL. I'm a selfish fangirl who wants my OTP. That's all.

• Like 2
  • LOL 4

1 hour ago, YourHighness . said:

Where are these votes? If we share the link on fanpages, we can get more fans to vote on it.

And TVN has made seasons for other shows without any votes and demand by the viewers. Why do they need votes for Hwayugi? BTW weren't Knetz signing some petitions for Season 2? What happened to that?

Yeah, even a special episode..of 15-20 minutes would do..even 5 minutes where SOG meets JSM and gets her out of the Land of Dead. I'm seriously afraid IF there is a season 2 then the OTP or one of them..mostly JSM may change. So a special would be better.

Even episode 21..I don't really care about MW and his son storyline. LOL. I'm a selfish fangirl who wants my OTP. That's all.

I'm just including Mawang to sound nice and not sounding  to otp obsess (although my heart says different things) :tongue::tongue::tongue:

yeah where is this votes? I'm gonna vote .. who says it can't reach 1 million?? 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

11 hours ago, ladysaotome said:

Since I read some chapters of the book too. I know exactly how narcissistic and self serving SOG was, so it makes perfect sense to me that he would be petty enough to hold a grudge against all human kind for centuries even though he didn't care about humans at all.

I understand why everyone thought it was a personal betrayal by one human. This betrayal was not worth the wait. We all built it up too much in our head and when we got such a plain Jane reason, it was a disappointment. Just like the big fight with the Dragon was a disappointment to everyone. The writers really messed up bad with the show.

11 minutes ago, haymochi said:

I'm just including Mawang to sound nice and not sounding  to otp obsess (although my heart says different things) :tongue::tongue::tongue:

I am not even going to pretend that I am not OTP obsessed. :lol: I am, what I am.

1 hour ago, ilovejasminnie said:

Curious.

Does anyone know what kind of monster/creature Mawang's son is? :)

He's a soul sucking monster. That's why he consumed many(hundreds maybe) human children's souls. Fed to him by his mother.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Thanks 1

It would be fun to see Red Boy in action cos in the original he is SOG opponent right?

he even kidnapped Samjang...

too many plot wasted on ASN and the 1 hour memory loss on the last ep :wacko:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, haymochi said:

It would be fun to see Red Boy in action cos in the original he is SOG opponent right?

he even kidnapped Samjang...

too many plot wasted on ASN and the 1 hour memory loss on the last ep :wacko:

That would have been fun. Red boy (&MW) vs SOG. But alas.

You know the memory loss never made sense to me. He should have remembered her the minute he saw her. His love was so deep for her, I could't fathom how he couldn't remember her when she was standing right in front of him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, haymochi said:

Me too, me too... Count me in too!!! :D

• LOL 2

18 minutes ago, YourHighness . said:

That would have been fun. Red boy (&MW) vs SOG. But alas.

You know the memory loss never made sense to me. He should have remembered her the minute he saw her. His love was so deep for her, I could't fathom how he couldn't remember her when she was standing right in front of him.

According to the "AMAZING" writer nim, he was too damaged after fighting the dragon... if there's no GGG he would have perished

it's okay if it only lasted for like a brief moment.

like you said, the moment he saw her he should have remembered her immediately. The last ep should have  focused on him taking her from the underworld. It doesn't have to be grant with all CG effects, etc.. even if it's just showing him getting angry and ready to destroy the heaven +world is more than enough.  Or showing the peddler as the samsin goddess of saving Sunmi...showing that her kind heart and sacrifice were  rewarded 

• Like 1