Quantcast
larus

[Drama 2017-2018] A Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi 화유기

1 hour ago, toxicblood said:

Lee Han Joo said something about Sun Mi's corpse not being found..does it mean that her body rests in Sureumdong?

I mean I'm wondering if SOG buried her in his most treasured place, Sureumdong, where not anyone can enter without

his permission. Maybe that's why her body is missing in the human world?

I don't think he mentioned not finding her corpse. He just said she got in a car accident and her relatives didn't even bother with a proper funeral. We haven't really been told what happened to her corpse. One more unanswered question. I'm getting pissed again.:angry:

@haymochi I wish there were 2 more episodes as well. I still remember a few weeks ago when we were all confused because one of the websites cited this show having 22 episodes. Some of us were excited that this show might have had an extension, alas it turned out to be false news. Though this show would have benefited with an extension, I guess they had major budget constraints.:(

• Like 7

Uurgh it pissed me off again too

but i bet SOG won't ever let Sunmi's body be ourt  of sireumdong or even near that filthy family of hers

maybe he went to underworld to gather  her soul to revive her? *just guessing*

Hence with so millions soul in that world, he can find her with one of his eyes in hers

Having one of Great Sage's eyes will make her different from any ordinary spirit/soul hmmm

• Like 6

8 hours ago, haymochi said:

Continue please i keep refreshing wattpad fot updates lol

@YourHighness . i would want to see those lame white deities become toastes  marshmallows 

Thank you for your detailed research, i'm even more sure that he will get her  back at all cost . He can't live without her... if he ever failed.. he gonna destroy both heaven and the world 

I am positive that he cannot and will not fail. JSM will be with him in a few hours at the most from where the show ended. If only they had showed that, the backlash wouldn't have been so bad. Infact it wouldn't be there at all.

8 hours ago, haymochi said:

I second this hahahaha 

no dating scandal please. I just hate knetz reaction to celebs dating.  (so unreasonable and my girl will be the one getting the hates ). Wedding is a yes yes ...:D

You know how some people questioned why OYS acted so professionally  and serious on her bts with LSG?

Now she talked affectionately about him a lot in her interviews . Still some  haters called her out for it too "Why is she talking so much about LSG? He didn't even say anything about her?"

*rolling my eyes*

but i'm still glad nevertheless that even knetz ship them lol

Are knetz still asking for Season 2 and bashing the Hong sisters or did things cool down in a week?:lol:

I want the latter to continue, the writers deserve it. They broke my trust. Never forgiving them for this terrible open ending.

4 hours ago, nrbrown said:

@YourHighness . Netflix always puts their kdramas with season 1’s regardless. 

Thanks for also putting SOG abilities. Too bad they didn’t show all his abilities on the show. That would have  been fun to watch. 

@haymochi some peps will always criticize regardless. They are never happy. 

Oh really? Well thanks for informing..*sigh* Still they are advertising Hwayugi as a Netflix Original.

3 hours ago, sadpluto said:

It's Friday night where I live and I find myself waiting for new spoiler stills.:confounded: 

I guess I was one of the few people who actually liked ep 20. I thought it was beautiful BUT it just didn't feel like an ending. I guess people wouldn't have hated it so much or gotten so much negative backlash if they were certain there would be a season 2. I guess all we can do is hope, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Especially with all the negative press about that accident at the beginning. :cry:

P.S. Am I the only one who is concerned about Han Joo becoming an alcoholic from the stress of running the Hanbit Real Estate Agency? It was a nice gesture and all, but I don't think it will work out unless he changes the agency to a normal one or suddenly develops the power to see ghosts LOL

The accident shouldn't change the decision for S2 if there is one planned. I remember one show had terrible press about their crew committing suicide due to bullying and it's still getting a Season 2.

And you are right, the episode was not bad but it felt like it was rearing up to continue into how SOG would break JSM out of afterlife and get themselves a happy ever after. Even if the show had done 1 episodes extension, they would have gotten a whole week to shoot the finale that would have made everyone happy but the had the hero ride off in the sunset for PPL sake. I just can't with their stupidity.

This finale did not feel like one. We all felt like we were led on with the show dangling the carrot of weddings, babies and talks of SOG-JSM living happily together with JSM also turning into a deity(bar scene) and also changing the death bell fate. I can't really blame the audience for harshly lashing out and even calling the writers names. They deserve it and more.

LHJ will be fine as we saw from the flash of future that JSM had.

1 hour ago, toxicblood said:

Lee Han Joo said something about Sun Mi's corpse not being found..does it mean that her body rests in Sureumdong?

I mean I'm wondering if SOG buried her in his most treasured place, Sureumdong, where not anyone can enter without

his permission. Maybe that's why her body is missing in the human world?

Yes. Her body rests in Sureumdong..or maybe SOG burned it so that no demon would get in and try to eat her body to gain strength.

• Like 5

Given 20 eps they should have been able to wrap up the drama nicely. They have given lots of nice hints and it all went poof in the last ep like they were all nothing.

hong sisters dramas usually end at ep 16 with Master Sun  (17) as exception but i remember the casts not being happy about the extention at all.

Gaaah.... i kinda wish the castswould want to do another season 2 . This time properly as the gang have come really together to save the world. Since season 1 still showed their distrust  and fights btw each other

They should have treated this drama better. It was sold to lots of countries and China success in Korea as well. Moreover they have all those merchandises that are sold widely.

I'm guessing they won't be selling the death bell as merchandise right?cos fans are so ready to buy and burn them

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

I really liked this drama from ep 1-18 then from there it was like hell in a hand basket. I really don't know what the Hong sisters were thinking with that ending. It gave me whiplash from the flashbacks I got from their terrible ending in the "BIG" drama. I really wished I stopped watching after the first 15 mins of ep 19. Such a waste that in the end of the story they did the whole typical

Spoiler

amnesia and open ending thing. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr! Plus, How the hell do you kill almost every character in the drama?! It's so heartbreaking OMG! :cold_sweat:

This drama had so much potential such a waste of great chemistry and good acting. Sighs!! :(

However, I have to give props to the actors they did a really good job portraying their characters to the best of their abilities. Another plus is the Ost was amazing. I had a lot of fun watching the bromance and loved the side character arcs. But the thing I appreciated the most in this drama was the humor. I will definitely re watch this again just for those fun scenes.

• Like 6

Can someone tell me why this was a 20 episode drama? Especially with all the obvious budgetary constraints imposed on it.

If the plan was always to end the show the way it did, why did they bother having an extra four episodes? The least they could have done in the finale, having sledgehammered us over the head with the inevitability of OG and Samjang's separation, was to show OG running around in the underworld sparring with Yama and his minions while protecting SM from otherworldly creepy crawlies. What was the point of the last scene? I'm sure the netherworld isn't somewhere in the visible human realm

The ending in and of itself wasn't completely ludicrous but it was draggy... just like much of the last six episodes which were replete with fillers and desultory chatter. The entire Asanyeo-Kang Dae Sang arc was both too long and too short. It was too long in terms of what they did with it. Essentially they were both fairly uni-dimensional figures whose job was to create obstacles for the "good guys". They served little purpose otherwise and could have been disposed off easily in two-three episodes. If they had built up KDS' profile more and given more meat to his part in the doomsday story than just your average K drama ambitious, corrupt politician/authority figure who wants to rule the world, I think they could have made his character more compelling. In the end, he didn't come across as being especially formidable... just a guy with the right connections with no compunction to let other people do his dirty work while he kept his nose clean. 

I was always under the impression that when you set characters up to have dialogue, that the dialogue should have some purpose to it other than filling up air space. We shouldn't also need to have dialogue retelling us in someone else's words what was just seen by the audience. But there's been a fair bit of that lately which leads me to think that someone ran out of serious money. Or someone believes that the dominant demographic watching this drama is under the age of 10. Which I doubt.

Clearly tvN didn't exactly throw money at Studio Dragon to make this and I was largely unconcerned with how the dragon looked although my complaint is less about the look of the beastie than the fact that it didn't come across as much of a threat even while SOG received cuts to his face.

My niggling suspicion these past few weeks has been that the show wasn't sure what it wanted to be. The first half of the show was good because they kept it quirky and comedic. From the time they introduced the doomsday element I sensed it was a mistake because the whole notion was not in keeping with the good natured, self-parodic silliness that was the show's dominant tone. Cheesy worked well with the humour but not with doom, gloom, death fates and self-sacrifice. It's hard to take an end of the world scenario seriously when the actual threat is more talked about that seen or felt. Even when Asanyeo kills to feed, there are little consequences. I'm still wondering about the men she killed a while back who were trying to pick her up. Has there been no investigation there? And the homeless men tunnel dwellers, what of their deaths?  And when PK finally gets his head together and flings her what turns out to be the ultimate insult. She takes umbrage and throws a tantrum at being addressed as such. Her way of getting even is to prove that she really is an evil spirit. This is where I become confused about whether she's just childishly amoral or just utterly self-deluded. By now whatever goodwill I have for the show is spent. Asanyeo has never been a likable character or even remotely humorous for me to have any appreciation of that scene. It's different with Ma Wang, who may be shady and reeking with self-interest... but at least he's good for a laugh more often than not. And to his credit he knows he's a scoundrel.

Of course the hero of the piece in this is SOG :wink:. Just like his counterpart in JttW, he is the smartest, bravest and most determined character in this journey. To me SM was always courageous and heroic even when she was trading in haunted real estate. I really missed the humour and the absurdity of the situations that she found herself in particularly when she didn't have SOG helping her. So when she made the choice to sacrifice herself it was just a natural extension of who she was. Overall I liked her more as an entity separate to SOG. I was fine about him being her protector as they ghostbusted together but as the girl who was indecisive about romance with the Great Sage, not so much. At least not in the way that she was written. I suspected that if the romance had been a slow burn with her worrying less about whether he genuinely loved her and more focused on their bonding over kicking ghosty butts, the romance might have had a far more interesting spin.

What the last two episodes proved to me though was how well the bromance was written. Even in those few scenes together, their interactions contain a lovely mix of camaraderie, humour and an underlying affection that's heartwarming.

Even though in the end I was wrong about the happily-ever-after, I was right in my threat assessment. That's why they had to really kill off SM because all the naysaying prognostications would be the hollow shell that we believed they were. It was never about the end of the world but an elaborate scheme to clean up the world of humans. I still don't really know why SM had to die but because the show says so I'll just take it as a given.

You know when kids discover jokes and riddles for the first time, they can't help themselves. Then they stumble on a joke that tickles them and there's no stopping them. However, the one thing worse than a joke retold repeatedly is someone trying to explain/break down a joke seriously and meticulously. That's more or less how I'd been feeling for the last six or so episodes. 

The moment Hwayugi was a joke that wanted to be taken seriously and tried to explain itself seriously, it was the beginning of the end for the drama.

• Like 4

The arriving of the doomsday was introduced since ep 4 so i'm really anticipating it rather than just fighting mere demons or evil spirits but yeah it failed to meet up the high expectations. When Sunmi had that foresighr from the broken jar , i thought it was super cool

ASN and KDS have the potential to be impactful villains too. A priestess who was burried alive, manipulative, and able to make anyone a king. Even soobori have to discuss with the heaven cos  she is not to be taken lightly.

The death bell fate was done beautifully as a symbol to every Samjang and it's guardian fate  .  The otp love story touched me. When they tryto protect each other no matter what with OG confronting SooBori that he will protect Sunmi till the end and gonna make the heaven regret big time if she ever died.

Ep 18 also gave a big hint that they will be able to change this fate

But when ASN power was taken away and started  having feeling for PK. It was so absurd... after ep 15 OYS potrayal of  scary ASN  and suddenly they turn her into a pathetic cute character when she went back to use Buja's  body. 

It would have more impact if she and KDS really teamed up together but i was still hopeful that they will show  Buja soul coming back before really perishing.  If she died protecting Sunmi or PK, her death won't be so much in vain.

still 18 eps of this drama was really good : angst and chemistry were done right but the last 2 eps were just craps. They  should have made Mawang, PK, and GF fought the dragon together with OG.

Until ep 19 Mawang still tried to betray OG to take the samurai sword just because he was promised to become  a deity (if not for Sec Ma butting in) Another useless scene was PK bringing the lighter to kill ASN and ended up making a takoyaki instead

gosh if these last 2 eps were done right. This drama could have been perfect...

tell me what is in Hong sister's brain while writing the final episodes????

• Like 6

First week without hwayugi and I'm very surprised that ppl here still creating theories about the ending and so on..... 

Love this thread even more :wub:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Drama withdrawal syndrome getting strong here~~

Last week during this time we were discussing about ep19 and hoping for a happy ending (but we end up getting trashy ending <_<)

How fast has a week passed by, without new stills, bts, preview waiting for us.

Feeling empty here. :wacko:

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

Yeah... Time flies so fast and both of our OTP already became so busy with their next project... I'm so worried more about LSG, he just sleep for 2 hours a day... As OYS said he really has tight schedule... I can feel OYS's worries too...

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

50 minutes ago, maria_m2me said:

Yeah... Time flies so fast and both of our OTP already became so busy with their next project... I'm so worried more about LSG, he just sleep for 2 hours a day... As OYS said he really has tight schedule... I can feel OYS's worries too...

Wait what?! Just 2 hours? But the drama ended..why isn't he resting more?

I can't believe it's been a week since the drama ended. :( I remember last Saturday how we were all theorizing about SOG bringing back JSM's soul and turning her into a deity in the last episode. *sigh* Those writers.:angry:

Damn withdrawal. :( Wish I'd just been pissed off with the ending, instead of also being heartbroken for my OTP. That would have made it so easy to move on.

That's what happened with Gu Family book. I was so annoyed and angry at the ending(They made KC wait for 500 years for YW's reincarnation) that I didn't feel any withdrawal when the show ended. I just moved on easily...Unfortunately that's not the case right now. :frown:

• Like 3

12 hours ago, haymochi said:

still 18 eps of this drama was really good : angst and chemistry were done right but the last 2 eps were just craps. They  should have made Mawang, PK, and GF fought the dragon together with OG.

Until ep 19 Mawang still tried to betray OG to take the samurai sword just because he was promised to become  a deity (if not for Sec Ma butting in) Another useless scene was PK bringing the lighter to kill ASN and ended up making a takoyaki instead

gosh if these last 2 eps were done right. This drama could have been perfect...

tell me what is in Hong sister's brain while writing the final episodes????

My view is that the problems of the show started much earlier than the last two episodes. I think the last two episodes were only symptomatic of problems that came earlier. The villains just weren't powerful or scary enough for an end of the world scenario or a bittersweet ending. By all means if the writers wanted to have a doomsday threat, that's their choice but when one wants to up the ante, it needs to be done on every level. To me Asanyeo was too petty in her scheming and KDS too powerless to make me feel that something earth-shattering was at stake. Even the black dragon came and went with a blink of an eye.

This showed with the way the other characters treated ASY. They didn't really see her as much of a threat nor treated her as one. They sat around talking about burning her but they took their own sweet time doing anything drastic with her. It was humorous on some level but as a prelude to the black dragon's appearance and the final separation of the OTP, it lacked any kind of real sting.

I don't necessarily think that an open-ended ending is bad for a show like this with monsters and humans but I don't think the show earned it with its execution of the big showdown or in the events leading up to it.

The OTP romance was sweet and the effect it has on OG in his development overall is the highlight.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, YourHighness . said:

Wait what?! Just 2 hours? But the drama ended..why isn't he resting more?

I can't believe it's been a week since the drama ended. :( I remember last Saturday how we were all theorizing about SOG bringing back JSM's soul and turning her into a deity in the last episode. *sigh* Those writers.:angry:

Damn withdrawal. :( Wish I'd just been pissed off with the ending, instead of also being heartbroken for my OTP. That would have made it so easy to move on.

That's what happened with Gu Family book. I was so annoyed and angry at the ending(They made KC wait for 500 years for YW's reincarnation) that I didn't feel any withdrawal when the show ended. I just moved on easily...Unfortunately that's not the case right now. :frown:

He never stops working...

he got fan meets? Concert? Variety show? Movie promotions?tons of cfs?

and he still said about wanting to come back as a singer asap 

OYS usually takes months of break after her drama ended ( she always  flies  to Japan and visits Disneyland with her bff like a ritual :D)  but this time it's unsual cos she has to jump into movie promotions asap. I read that the stage greeting tickets sold out so she might have to do another one. 

it's only been a week but my emptiness feels like it's been months *sigh.. me being over dramatic*

if only i got my full happy ending in ep 20, it will probably be much less painful.. given how Hong sisters usually give a full happy feeling for their final eps. How can they do this to the viewers esp to LSG drama come back???!!!!!!!!..

What would i do to make them re-write the last 2 eps lol

alternate endings for this drama written by fanfics are much better than what Hong sisters wrote lmao.  I'm dying to see SOG with red eyes in the verge of showing what sacrifices heaven must pay after killing his Sunmi

• Like 6

One of the biggest regrets about Hwayugi and its flaws is that the viewers never learned more about Son Oh Gong’s backstory, specifically his history with humans. Till the end, it remained a hearsay just like many other things mentioned in the drama. However, the human’s betrayal was probably the most intriguing mystery surrounding him and also an explanation why Oh Gong turned out to be the way he had, why he held humans in such a huge contempt. 

tumblr_p5e77tkkjA1s8t96qo1_540.png

Futhermore, he has suffered for it dearly - being tormented, burned, imprisoned for almost a 1,000 years,… - that’s not something a writer should leave without adressing. Considering that OG has always been evasive about the reason for his punishment in front of SM, the experience must have affected and hurt him deeply.

tumblr_p5e77tkkjA1s8t96qo3_540.png

So what happened? How terrible it must have been to make OG lose all trust in humans forever? Who betrayed him - a man or a woman? Did OG care for that person? Did he love him/her? It would explain so much including why his m.o. has always been to seek revenge and why he was so affected by the episode with the mermaid. Not only do we need a Hwayugi sequel, we also need a Hwayugi prequel. SON OH GONG: THE BEGINNING.

tumblr_p5e77tkkjA1s8t96qo2_540.png

• Like 10

True i was waiting for that epic SOG backstory but they spent too much time on burning or not burning ASN lol

this girl is just too pathetic and lame to be a villain.

Better continue making her a vengeful, manipulative, and evil vamp till the end but then suddenly became weak with PK words.

It would have made sense if Buja is still in her body but apparently that soul has vanished long time ago . i got cheated big time... 

there is this awesome fanfic. That connected SOG past with JinSunmi. The humans begged him to put out the volcano that kept on errupting fire by giving him a bride. That bride was Jin sunmi... and the reason she has this sweet lotus scent was because SOG stole a lotus from the Buddha lake and it fell to the human's world  hence baby Jin Sunmi was born. 

SOG was punished for stealing the pillar to help the human . He felt betrayed but Sunmi offered herself to use her blood to  seal the demon and lighten OG's punishment. 

Before jumping in, she gave her a bottle of wine that made him forget her

yes yes you can see i' ve been living with fanfics these days. Those writers are awesome lol

• Like 7

@YourHighness . If there is an out cry for a season 2, maybe Netflix will produce it. They have produced shows or returned  (revived) some old shows that I am still bemused about. Why not this show? Hope is well within me. :D

@40somethingahjumma The ASN story arc had soooo much potential <grumble, grumble> and it pretty much fell flat on its face. After watching the bookseller arc you would think she will  be an awesome evil character. Up it’s game format?

The exact opposite of JSM etc,etc. But instead we received a 1000 yr old  virgin kitten :huh:

I personally thought JSM should have stopped worrying too much if SOG loved her for real or not. And just go with the flow. Think in the present for SOG, and start thinking a little more on the doomsday scenario of the future. Cause if I had a doomsday scenario forced upon me, I would pretty much try to be happy in the present. But that’s just me. :tongue: 

@haymochi SOG’s back story would have rocked.  Which fan fiction is it? Sharing is caring. :wub:

• Like 5
  • LOL 2

OYS IG update, caption "What I like is ..." 

And Lee Seyoung comment on OYS last IG update "What unnie like is Buja"

Looks like not only us that still can't move on from Hwayugi, Lee Seyoung too still into Hwayugi character. Still consider herself as Buja. Oh I miss them so much

• Like 6

1000 year old virgin kitten :lol: what a perfect description you got there.

this otp should just go al the way, hell with their unfair fate. They keep trying to sacrifice behind each other back . How about working together and do a protest towards the crazy heaven instead ?!!!

Here is the awesome fanfic lol 

https://www.wattpad.com/545699591-hwayugi-fanfic-guardian-beautiful-memories-will

@dvrels Oh Yeon Seo and LeeSeYoung are so cute. The drama is going good with their sisterhood bond , how their feelings are somehow connected. The writers have to ruin it.. uuurgh.. my cute Buja :dissapointed_relieved:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, haymochi said:

He never stops working...

he got fan meets? Concert? Variety show? Movie promotions?tons of cfs?

and he still said about wanting to come back as a singer asap 

OYS usually takes months of break after her drama ended ( she always  flies  to Japan and visits Disneyland with her bff like a ritual :D)  but this time it's unsual cos she has to jump into movie promotions asap. I read that the stage greeting tickets sold out so she might have to do another one. 

it's only been a week but my emptiness feels like it's been months *sigh.. me being over dramatic*

if only i got my full happy ending in ep 20, it will probably be much less painful.. given how Hong sisters usually give a full happy feeling for their final eps. How can they do this to the viewers esp to LSG drama come back???!!!!!!!!..

What would i do to make them re-write the last 2 eps lol

alternate endings for this drama written by fanfics are much better than what Hong sisters wrote lmao.  I'm dying to see SOG with red eyes in the verge of showing what sacrifices heaven must pay after killing his Sunmi

Wow, LSG's a workaholic. I always liked him after MGFIAG but never really paid attention to him or his career. Hwayugi is where he really caught my attention. So every aspect of his life or career is a surprise to me now. LOL. OYS is fairly new to me although I had seen a glimpse of her in Come Back Mister trailer(I knew with souls the ending maybe tragic so didn't watch the show) and My Sassy Girl trailer(Didn't find the hero very dynamic so gave it a pass) but didn't pay attention to her until now.

Tell me about the emptiness. The writers really wrecked us. Even a hint of closure would have made me happy but the ending was just too open ended. I know he will succeed and all but I would have liked to see it rather than being told by the exposition fairy. That's such lazy writing, especially from the Hong sisters who ALWAYS, ALWAYS tie up their plot thread in a neat little bow. That's why Hwayugi's ending seemed planned and deliberate because the journey is still ongoing(for ALL the characters). It's not over.

If we had all gotten a proper happy ever after, the withdrawal would have been bad but at least it wouldn't have been this painful with the nagging emptiness accompanying it. I can't stress enough how betrayed I feel by the writers. They really let me down. I kept mine and the threads trust on them alive when everyone was worrying about the ending and this is what they gave us. I am seriously contemplating washing my hands off of them forever.

1 hour ago, nrbrown said:

If there is an out cry for a season 2, maybe Netflix will produce it. They have produced shows or returned  (revived) some old shows that I am still bemused about. Why not this show? Hope is well within me. :D

There is a huge possibility of that since the story has not even scratched the surface. There's a LOT to show and tell. The only thing that worries me about a S2 is the return of the actors. If ANYONE of them is changed, especially one(or both) from the OTP, it will ruin S2 for me and I may end up not watching it.

• Like 3