Quantcast
larus

[Drama 2017-2018] A Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi 화유기

I starting to have some withdrawals over here. I’m trying to watch another kdrama, but it’s not working to tell you the truth. It feels like a break up. :wink: 

Ive read all the articles, your comments, and fan fiction. I haven’t re watched any episodes just yet, but probably will soon. 

I just find it  quite fascinating that this show has tugged me in ways I least expected. Enough talking about me, let’s  talk about you ol fav show. 

:wink::D

I’m curious whose your fav character? Does it change or did it change from the beginning to the end of the show? Or did it stay the same? 

What attracted you to the character? 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Liting1 said:

I'm doing a "Hwayugi" marathon and watching ep.1 made me feel so pitiful for SM. She was tortured and bullied throughout all her life. No one liked her. It's such a sad life for her and after her death at the end, I still dislike it very much. She didn't get what she deserved and wanted. That is to be with OG, whom she loved so much. 

However, I'm so grateful she met OG whom loved her the same even when it was forced from the beginning with the GGG. He slowly changed to love and care for the people around him. He is like the "ideal" lover you want. I only wish for the both of them to end up together, but it had to end tragically. 

I really wish their "happy ending" was shown onscreen. Where he went to the underworld to save her and they are able to be together even if the heavens permit it. That's why I am very disappointed that the Hong Sisters didn't really ended everyone's life appropriately. They added this and that but nothing was really satisfying at the end. 

Sunmi life was so so soooo unfair. Remembering how she strived so hard to live in this cruel world pained me even more.

what did samjang  fate benefit her at all?

who the hell wants to be born as samjang? She was born as an ominous child with both of her parents passing away at the same time.

She was thrown rocks, bullied, and live full of fear everyday. 

Even when she decided to carry on her dury as samjang, those demons who she treated sincerely keep keep taling advantage of her and so ready to hurt her anytime.  The most horrible thing is she died in vain :bawling:

the villains in this drama are truely the heaven and humans.  I get so angry every time i remember Soo Boo Ti face uuurgh....next time OG should break you instead of the table.

@nrbrown

I still can't watch any dramas too, the withdrawal symptom is sooo soooo severe .

Want to do another marathon of this drama cos i miss the otp but still scared to do so haha.

I ended up reading fandics and watching MV for this coupled 

My fave characters are of course SOG and Jin Sunmi. 

and Lee Han joon comes on 2nd 

• Like 11

I'm still on ep. 6. I love the bromance in the show. Honestly, Lee Seung-gi and Cha Seung-won could sell me ice in a snowstorm lol. 

I'm loving all the unique characters in the show. 

• Like 10

I love this drama so much but the ending make me upset like hell!!...*maybe bcoz i dont know how the underworld looks like*:tongue:

But i will ship them sincerely and for sure I will wait for the 3rd wedding..

I dont wish to hear the dating news...wedding news is better..:lol:

• Like 6
  • LOL 5

5 minutes ago, taskdramafanatic said:

Soooo here is chapter 2 to my fanfiction.... sun mi and oh gong's journey continue after the last episode of Hwayugi...

https://my.w.tt/tLaHvzse9K

Thank you so much for this!!! Your fan fic is really good! It helps my heart to heal from the heartbreak of the ending. :wub:

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, kdramafangirl29 said:

Thank you so much for this!!! Your fan fic is really good! It helps my heart to heal from the heartbreak of the ending. :wub:

Your welcome.....

• Like 4

After calming down, I have some thoughts on the finale.

I am mad, still so mad that JSM's life was hell from the start till the end and the heavens didn't even think about rewarding for it by turning her into a deity ASAP. She was sent as a mere soul to remove the GGG from SOG's hand. What SOG calls her is not a demon but a spirit. As per his logic, happy spirits don't haunt earth that's why he assumed that she was an unfulfilled evil spirit. JSM was severely shortchanged in her life and it makes me incredibly sad that she didn't get love from anyone but SOG, Jonathan, LHJ and her grandmother. She was not even mourned after her death by anyone but LHJ and Jonathan(off screen) since SOG lost his memories of her. All the demons easily moved on and forgot her and that annoys me to hell and back. Selfish, the lot of them.

After the re watch I realized that MW actually expected SOG to forget JSM, make peace with her death and move on after she left for the underworld again. He did not expect SOG to get her back. He did not expect SOG to fight for her to be brought back. He still underestimated SOG's love even after seeing the lengths SOG went to, to protect JSM and save her life.

Anyway, I was curious of what kind of havoc SOG could wreck on the Underworld. So I did some reading up and after seeing his possessions and powers, I have no doubt he will get his JSM back and how. Especially since he is a deity now and all his abilities have been unlocked.

Source:   http://mythology.wikia.com/wiki/Sun_Wukong

Possessions

• Fèngchìzǐjinguān (鳳翅紫金冠)/”Phoenix-feather Cap”: One of the treasures of the Dragon Kings, Ào Qin gives this to him in order to get rid of him when he acquires the Rúyì Jīn Gū Bàng.
  • 鎖子黃金甲/ “golden chain mail”: One of the treasures of the Dragon Kings; Ào Run gives this to him in order to get rid of him when he acquires the Rúyì Jīn Gū Bàng.
  • Ǒusībùyúnlǚ (藕絲步雲履)/”cloud-stepping boots” or “cloud-stepping shoes”: Made of lotus fiber, these are one of the treasures of the Dragon Kings; Ào Ming gives them to him in order to get rid of him when he acquires the Rúyì Jīn Gū Bàng.
  • Rúyì Jīn Gū Bàng (如意金箍棒)/”Magic Golden-Clasped Rod” or “Ideal Golden-bound Cudgel”: His primary weapon, originally an iron rod used to measure the depth of the sea. The Rúyì Jīn Gū Bàng was given to him by Ào Guǎng. The staff weighs 13,500 jin (8.1 tons), but Wùkōng can lift it easily and change it to any size. He usually shrinks it to the size of a sewing needle and puts it behind his ear when he is not using it.

Abilities

• 72 Bian/”72 Transformations”: Allows him to shapeshift into almost any form—however, he is never able to transform his tail. He can also transform each of the 84,000 hairs on his body into another form, animate or inanimate, and often bites the hairs into pieces to create even more copies.
  • Bi Huo Jue/”Fire Avoidance Charm”: Allows him to survive fire.
  • Bi Shui Jue/”Water Avoidance Charm”: Allows him to survive deep water; however, he is unable to fight while using this ability.
  • Body Freezing Spell: Allows him to immobilize enemies.
  • Huǒyǎn-jīnjīng(火眼金睛)/”fiery-eyes golden-gaze”: Allows him to identify evil no matter what form it takes; however, it also causes smoke to sting his eyes. Wùkōng acquired this ability after Lao Tzu traps Wùkōng in his cauldron for 49 days, attempting to distill him as punishment.
  • Jie Suo Fa/”Lock-Breaking Spell”: Allows him to point a finger or his staff and open any lock.
  • Jīndǒuyún/”cloud-somersault” or “cloud trapeze”: Allows him to cover 108,000 li (54,000 km, 33,554 mi) in a single leap.
  • Protective Circle: Allows him to erect an impassible barrier by drawing a circle on the ground with his staff.
  • Shen Wai Shen Fa/”Body Outside of Body”: Specifically refers to his ability to transform his hairs into fighting clones of himself.
  • Summoning: Allows him to summon local deities.
  • Wind: Allows him to summon strong winds and storms.

The heavens and the underworld is so toast if they don't give him his JSM back. :tongue:

BTW is it true that Netflix bought the series and all it's right? So maybe the open ending has a purpose? Netflix has posted these 20 episodes as Season 1. Do they do that for every Kdrama or just this one?

And no power on earth is going to convince me that SOG's memory loss was due to the Dragon. After he lost consciousness, he gained it back for a few seconds and remembered JSM and that she was gone from the world. It was only then that his protective instinct kicked in and he forgot about HER. Not anybody else but HER. The world and life without her were too painful otherwise.
Edited by YourHighness .
Wanted to add a point.
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, taskdramafanatic said:

Soooo here is chapter 2 to my fanfiction.... sun mi and oh gong's journey continue after the last episode of Hwayugi...

https://my.w.tt/tLaHvzse9K

Continue please i keep refreshing wattpad fot updates lol

@YourHighness . i would want to see those lame white deities become toastes  marshmallows 

Thank you for your detailed research, i'm even more sure that he will get her  back at all cost . He can't live without her... if he ever failed.. he gonna destroy both heaven and the world 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, missjjang said:

I love this drama so much but the ending make me upset like hell!!...*maybe bcoz i dont know how the underworld looks like*:tongue:

But i will ship them sincerely and for sure I will wait for the 3rd wedding..

I dont wish to hear the dating news...wedding news is better..:lol:

I second this hahahaha 

no dating scandal please. I just hate knetz reaction to celebs dating.  (so unreasonable and my girl will be the one getting the hates ). Wedding is a yes yes ...:D

You know how some people questioned why OYS acted so professionally  and serious on her bts with LSG?

Now she talked affectionately about him a lot in her interviews . Still some  haters called her out for it too "Why is she talking so much about LSG? He didn't even say anything about her?"

*rolling my eyes*

but i'm still glad nevertheless that even knetz ship them lol

• Like 6

2 hours ago, haymochi said:

I second this hahahaha 

no dating scandal please. I just hate knetz reaction to celebs dating.  (so unreasonable and my girl will be the one getting the hates ). Wedding is a yes yes ...:D

You know how some people questioned why OYS acted so professionally  and serious on her bts with LSG?

Now she talked affectionately about him a lot in her interviews . Still some  haters called her out for it too "Why is she talking so much about LSG? He didn't even say anything about her?"

*rolling my eyes*

but i'm still glad nevertheless that even knetz ship them lol

LSG didn't mention OYS but still he said the memorable moments of Hwayugi is the kiss scene, who's LSG kiss in Hwayugi? So indirectly he mentioned OYS as well. Anyway OYS mention LSG because she was asked by the reporter about working with LSG not her wish to always mention LSG

• Like 6
  • LOL 1

39 minutes ago, dvrels said:

LSG didn't mention OYS but still he said the memorable moments of Hwayugi is the kiss scene, who's LSG kiss in Hwayugi? So indirectly he mentioned OYS as well. Anyway OYS mention LSG because she was asked by the reporter about working with LSG not her wish to always mention LSG

Wah I also wanna said this... LSG kept mentioning about the kiss scene... As his partner in "Master In The House" said that "he loves kissing" and so far this one is the 1st for him to have that kind of deep kiss in bed and also back hugging so intimate like that. Correct me if I missed Lee Seung Gi's kiss scene...

True. OYS not only mentioned LSG, she also mentioned both of actors in CITT movie...

• Like 6

@YourHighness . Netflix always puts their kdramas with season 1’s regardless. 

Thanks for also putting SOG abilities. Too bad they didn’t show all his abilities on the show. That would have  been fun to watch. 

@haymochi some peps will always criticize regardless. They are never happy. 

• Like 4

Just now, nrbrown said:

@YourHighness . Netflix always puts their kdramas with season 1’s regardless. 

Thanks for also putting SOG abilities. Too bad they didn’t show all his abilities on the show. That would have  been fun to watch. 

@haymochi some peps will always criticize regardless. They are never happy. 

True ... 

huh... how i wish they will really come up with a season 2, preproduced.. it will be epic. Though it sounds. Impossible :cry:

This drama has the potential to be perfect with the best love story, best otp chemistry, best bromance  but the CG and the last 2 eps kinda ruined it.

• Like 5

It's Friday night where I live and I find myself waiting for new spoiler stills.:confounded: 

I guess I was one of the few people who actually liked ep 20. I thought it was beautiful BUT it just didn't feel like an ending. I guess people wouldn't have hated it so much or gotten so much negative backlash if they were certain there would be a season 2. I guess all we can do is hope, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Especially with all the negative press about that accident at the beginning. :cry:

P.S. Am I the only one who is concerned about Han Joo becoming an alcoholic from the stress of running the Hanbit Real Estate Agency? It was a nice gesture and all, but I don't think it will work out unless he changes the agency to a normal one or suddenly develops the power to see ghosts LOL

• Like 6
  • LOL 1

2 hours ago, sadpluto said:

It's Friday night where I live and I find myself waiting for new spoiler stills.:confounded: 

I guess I was one of the few people who actually liked ep 20. I thought it was beautiful BUT it just didn't feel like an ending. I guess people wouldn't have hated it so much or gotten so much negative backlash if they were certain there would be a season 2. I guess all we can do is hope, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Especially with all the negative press about that accident at the beginning. :cry:

P.S. Am I the only one who is concerned about Han Joo becoming an alcoholic from the stress of running the Hanbit Real Estate Agency? It was a nice gesture and all, but I don't think it will work out unless he changes the agency to a normal one or suddenly develops the power to see ghosts LOL

It would have been a beautiful ep  if it continues on to ep 21 and 22 lol. As an ending with no high possibility of season 2? It broke viewers hope to pieces

I wouldn't worry about Han Joon. He is a nice, sincere, and hardworking man. Sunmi inheritance for him is also abundance lol. She also saw his happy hending  at Hanbyul's wedding..

this weekend feels so empty without Hwayugi. Sigh... i can't believe that it's only been one week since the drama ended

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Lee Han Joo said something about Sun Mi's corpse not being found..does it mean that her body rests in Sureumdong?

I mean I'm wondering if SOG buried her in his most treasured place, Sureumdong, where not anyone can enter without

his permission. Maybe that's why her body is missing in the human world?

• Like 5

On 3/8/2018 at 1:08 AM, norakim said:

You guys noticed that the female characters were the only ones that got killed off tragically from this drama?  Summer Fairy, Buja, Alice (Possessed by Prince), SunMi... 

Happy International Women's Day

• Thanks 4