[Drama 2017-2018] A Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi 화유기

larus

True... i really need a proper closure

22 eps would have been perfect to finish the otp story+ Connect SOG's past+ Mawang  and his son the red boy :(

i still miss hwayugi so badly

6 hours ago, ladysaotome said:

This. If the book is anything to go by, all he pretty much ever cared about was himself and maybe his kingdom on monkeys. And remember how massively callous he was in the first episode? He may have felt betrayed by the humans but it was a childish, narcissistic betrayal. It didn't form who he was, if anything it just probably reinforced his previous notions. I always felt the main point of the mermaid episode was 1) the way the Sun Mi took the mermaid's side once she understood the facts - that, I think, was a huge and unexpected act from Oh Gong's perspective  2) the way he identified with the mermaid in the fact that Sun Mi may choose to not return his love (which he was confronted with again at the end when Jonathan turns up) and the whole "is he as pitiful as the mermaid" question which she answered both of which were her taking huge steps toward him and his point of view. 

I do think the episode flags the human betrayal issue as something bigger than it ended up being though. They should have either not said anything or explained it right away because the way we heard about it later was deflating.

The writer just became so lazy esp with the 2 last eps.. i can't believe the pd would approve those scripts lmao

idk what's with k-drama writers recently. The love building momentum, anticipation then ruined them through 2-3 eps of finals. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Liting1 said:

Apparently, someone said TVN won't make a season 2 if there's only 1k voters. They want 1 million in order to make a season 2. Haha. Crazy. 

Where are these votes? If we share the link on fanpages, we can get more fans to vote on it.

And TVN has made seasons for other shows without any votes and demand by the viewers. Why do they need votes for Hwayugi? BTW weren't Knetz signing some petitions for Season 2? What happened to that?

3 hours ago, candiilicious said:

I don't think we will need season 2, we just need a proper closure or a special ep or movie for our OTP :dissapointed_relieved:

Currently watching Jibsabu to cure my withdrawal syndrome for Oh Gong~~

Yeah, even a special episode..of 15-20 minutes would do..even 5 minutes where SOG meets JSM and gets her out of the Land of Dead. I'm seriously afraid IF there is a season 2 then the OTP or one of them..mostly JSM may change. So a special would be better.

2 hours ago, haymochi said:

True... i really need a proper closure

22 eps would have been perfect to finish the otp story+ Connect SOG's past+ Mawang  and his son the red boy :(

i still miss hwayugi so badly

The writer just became so lazy esp with the 2 last eps.. i can't believe the pd would approve those scripts lmao

idk what's with k-drama writers recently. The love building momentum, anticipation then ruined them through 2-3 eps of finals. 

Even episode 21..I don't really care about MW and his son storyline. LOL. I'm a selfish fangirl who wants my OTP. That's all.

• Like 2
  • LOL 4

1 hour ago, YourHighness . said:

Where are these votes? If we share the link on fanpages, we can get more fans to vote on it.

And TVN has made seasons for other shows without any votes and demand by the viewers. Why do they need votes for Hwayugi? BTW weren't Knetz signing some petitions for Season 2? What happened to that?

Yeah, even a special episode..of 15-20 minutes would do..even 5 minutes where SOG meets JSM and gets her out of the Land of Dead. I'm seriously afraid IF there is a season 2 then the OTP or one of them..mostly JSM may change. So a special would be better.

Even episode 21..I don't really care about MW and his son storyline. LOL. I'm a selfish fangirl who wants my OTP. That's all.

I'm just including Mawang to sound nice and not sounding  to otp obsess (although my heart says different things) :tongue::tongue::tongue:

yeah where is this votes? I'm gonna vote .. who says it can't reach 1 million?? 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

11 hours ago, ladysaotome said:

This. If the book is anything to go by, all he pretty much ever cared about was himself and maybe his kingdom on monkeys. And remember how massively callous he was in the first episode? He may have felt betrayed by the humans but it was a childish, narcissistic betrayal. It didn't form who he was, if anything it just probably reinforced his previous notions. I always felt the main point of the mermaid episode was 1) the way the Sun Mi took the mermaid's side once she understood the facts - that, I think, was a huge and unexpected act from Oh Gong's perspective  2) the way he identified with the mermaid in the fact that Sun Mi may choose to not return his love (which he was confronted with again at the end when Jonathan turns up) and the whole "is he as pitiful as the mermaid" question which she answered both of which were her taking huge steps toward him and his point of view. 

I do think the episode flags the human betrayal issue as something bigger than it ended up being though. They should have either not said anything or explained it right away because the way we heard about it later was deflating.

Since I read some chapters of the book too. I know exactly how narcissistic and self serving SOG was, so it makes perfect sense to me that he would be petty enough to hold a grudge against all human kind for centuries even though he didn't care about humans at all.

I understand why everyone thought it was a personal betrayal by one human. This betrayal was not worth the wait. We all built it up too much in our head and when we got such a plain Jane reason, it was a disappointment. Just like the big fight with the Dragon was a disappointment to everyone. The writers really messed up bad with the show.

11 minutes ago, haymochi said:

I'm just including Mawang to sound nice and not sounding  to otp obsess (although my heart says different things) :tongue::tongue::tongue:

I am not even going to pretend that I am not OTP obsessed. :lol: I am, what I am.

1 hour ago, ilovejasminnie said:

Curious.

Does anyone know what kind of monster/creature Mawang's son is? :)

He's a soul sucking monster. That's why he consumed many(hundreds maybe) human children's souls. Fed to him by his mother.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, haymochi said:

It would be fun to see Red Boy in action cos in the original he is SOG opponent right?

he even kidnapped Samjang...

too many plot wasted on ASN and the 1 hour memory loss on the last ep :wacko:

That would have been fun. Red boy (&MW) vs SOG. But alas.

You know the memory loss never made sense to me. He should have remembered her the minute he saw her. His love was so deep for her, I could't fathom how he couldn't remember her when she was standing right in front of him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, haymochi said:

Me too, me too... Count me in too!!! :D

• LOL 2

18 minutes ago, YourHighness . said:

That would have been fun. Red boy (&MW) vs SOG. But alas.

You know the memory loss never made sense to me. He should have remembered her the minute he saw her. His love was so deep for her, I could't fathom how he couldn't remember her when she was standing right in front of him.

According to the "AMAZING" writer nim, he was too damaged after fighting the dragon... if there's no GGG he would have perished

it's okay if it only lasted for like a brief moment.

like you said, the moment he saw her he should have remembered her immediately. The last ep should have  focused on him taking her from the underworld. It doesn't have to be grant with all CG effects, etc.. even if it's just showing him getting angry and ready to destroy the heaven +world is more than enough.  Or showing the peddler as the samsin goddess of saving Sunmi...showing that her kind heart and sacrifice were  rewarded 

• Like 1

Guys, i don't know if this is what @Liting1 means,

7 hours ago, Liting1 said:

Apparently, someone said TVN won't make a season 2 if there's only 1k voters. They want 1 million in order to make a season 2. Haha. Crazy. 

But just in case

https://www.change.org/p/tvn-hwayugi-saison-2?recruiter=809175244&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=share_petition

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

33 minutes ago, haymochi said:

According to the "AMAZING" writer nim, he was too damaged after fighting the dragon... if there's no GGG he would have perished

it's okay if it only lasted for like a brief moment.

like you said, the moment he saw her he should have remembered her immediately. The last ep should have  focused on him taking her from the underworld. It doesn't have to be grant with all CG effects, etc.. even if it's just showing him getting angry and ready to destroy the heaven +world is more than enough.  Or showing the peddler as the samsin goddess of saving Sunmi...showing that her kind heart and sacrifice were  rewarded 

Ok, I admit that the GGG wrapped around his heart, saved his life but the memory loss due to the Dragon fight is obvious nonsense. He gained consciousness after he fought the dragon and remembered JSM. It was then that his brain shut off JSM's memories because it was excruciatingly painful. That's why he should have remembered her the minute she appeared in front of him.

I totally agree the last episode should have been SOG bringing JSM back from the Land of the dead. It was even hinted when the show showed us Lyra Constellation in one scene. But in the Greek mythology, Orpheus failed to bring back Eurydice. That's why some fans thought that maybe SOG will fail to bring her back and the ending is actually tragic rather than hopefully and happy. I can't blame them. Fairy tales don't end with the hero going off to battle the dragon and not rescuing the heroine. Stories are supposed to end with a happy ever after with both of them TOGETHER. Not with one in Land of Dead and one on his way to get her. Heck, we didn't even need SOG wrecking havoc in the LoD. They could have easily shown JSM besides him in the car and the Patriarch tsking and complaining about the mess he made of the LoD and heaven. We all would have taken that too, happily.

Not to mention, all the hints of JSM turning into a deity never came to fruit. They really messed up the finale or they are planning a season 2 and deliberately kept all the plot threads open. Whatever it is, I am pissed at Hong sisters. God knows how the Japan version will end. I'm afraid they may keep the same ending.

After the show ended, I am getting some epiphanies. Buja did leave the body as soon as ASN entered that's why when ASN entered JSM, Buja didn't wake up in her body. Which means Buja's soul should be intact and in LoD too. She will be reincarnated and maybe meet PK again. Also, her soul may have met JSM there. I can hope. And when JSM ordered Buja to show her the truth about KDS, she actually hypnotized ASN into showing Buja's memories. It was not Buja.

8 minutes ago, Ade Noveeanthy said:

Thanks for sharing the link. I signed. Maybe you can post it on the OTP shipping thread and send it to fanclubs on Instagram and twitter too? And just a FYI. You can sign it more than once.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

Hmm but let's assume that with SOG 's character will he ever give up? No

He gave her one of his eyes and he is so powerful so he will DEF  get her back no matter whateven if it cost him everything.

He broke his promise 25 years ago so this means he will keep his promise this time.

He lost her twice already and he def can't live without her so for the third time he won't ever let her go again

hmmph... amnesia plot is 100% unnecessary. It's like they don't know what to write for the last ep so let's  have a parallel scene where Sunmi ran around chasing after OG this time .. and  " oh let's add lots of flasbacks too so it will be easy to filmed" <_<

Dragon prince? Buja? ASN

"aaah i don't know... let's just make Buja left long time ago and kill all the others then we won't have to explain anything"

18 eps of amazing drama was ruined by 2 final eps. Geez.. it's like a competition btw writers these days to write the worst and weirdest ending

Let's see who can richard simmons off viewers the most

• Like 3
  • LOL 4

8 minutes ago, YourHighness . said:

Ok, I admit that the GGG wrapped around his heart, saved his life but the memory loss due to the Dragon fight is obvious nonsense. He gained consciousness after he fought the dragon and remembered JSM. It was then that his brain shut off JSM's memories because it was excruciatingly painful. That's why he should have remembered her the minute she appeared in front of him.

I totally agree the last episode should have been SOG bringing JSM back from the Land of the dead. It was even hinted when the show showed us Lyra Constellation in one scene. But in the Greek mythology, Orpheus failed to bring back Eurydice. That's why some fans thought that maybe SOG will fail to bring her back and the ending is actually tragic rather than hopefully and happy. I can't blame them. Fairy tales don't end with the hero going off to battle the dragon and not rescuing the heroine. Stories are supposed to end with a happy ever after with both of them TOGETHER. Not with one in Land of Dead and one on his way to get her. Heck, we didn't even need SOG wrecking havoc in the LoD. They could have easily shown JSM besides him in the car and the Patriarch tsking and complaining about the mess he made of the LoD and heaven. We all would have taken that too, happily.

Not to mention, all the hints of JSM turning into a deity never came to fruit. They really messed up the finale or they are planning a season 2 and deliberately kept all the plot threads open. Whatever it is, I am pissed at Hong sisters. God knows how the Japan version will end. I'm afraid they may keep the same ending.

After the show ended, I am getting some epiphanies. Buja did leave the body as soon as ASN entered that's why when ASN entered JSM, Buja didn't wake up in her body. Which means Buja's soul should be intact and in LoD too. She will be reincarnated and maybe meet PK again. Also, her soul may have met JSM there. I can hope. And when JSM ordered Buja to show her the truth about KDS, she actually hypnotized ASN into showing Buja's memories. It was not Buja.

Thanks for sharing the link. I signed. Maybe you can post it on the OTP shipping thread and send it to fanclubs on Instagram and twitter too? And just a FYI. You can sign it more than once.

Really? How? Can you tell me how? Sorry but I don't have twitter, and I don't know about the fanclub site, could someone help me tho?? :grin:

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, haymochi said:

Hmm but let's assume that with SOG 's character will he ever give up? No

He gave her one of his eyes and he is so powerful so he will DEF  get her back no matter whateven if it cost him everything.

He broke his promise 25 years ago so this means he will keep his promise this time.

He lost her twice already and he def can't live without her so for the third time he won't ever let her go again

hmmph... amnesia plot is 100% unnecessary. It's like they don't know what to write for the last ep so let's  have a parallel scene where Sunmi ran around chasing after OG this time .. and  " oh let's add lots of flasbacks too so it will be easy to filmed" <_<

Dragon prince? Buja? ASN

"aaah i don't know... let's just make Buja left long time ago and kill all the others then we won't have to explain anything"

18 eps of amazing drama was ruined by 2 final eps. Geez.. it's like a competition btw writers these days to write the worst and weirdest ending

Let's see who can richard simmons off viewers the most

Of course we know he will never give up and will get JSM out come hell or water. But since it was not SHOWN, some fans are unwilling to accept that it was a hopeful and happy ending. I seriously want to run behind the writers with a pitchfork to make them change the ending. :lol:

It was lazy and horrible writing..they wanted to add in lots of flashbacks to cover the time so went with nonsense amnesia, IMO.

19th episode was not that bad actually. 20th ruined everything. *runs behind the writers with pitchfork again* <_<

LOL, isn't that the truth with writers and writing poopy endings these days. WHAT in the WORLD is wrong with giving us all a happy ever after? We spend so much time watching your shows..reward us instead of punishing the viewers!

35 minutes ago, Ade Noveeanthy said:

Really? How? Can you tell me how? Sorry but I don't have twitter, and I don't know about the fanclub site, could someone help me tho?? :grin:

Even if you post on the OTP thread, I am sure it will spread to all the fanclubs.

Spoiler

LOL, just make up names and fake emails to sign. :wink: like endingsucked78576366533@gmail.com or something. :lol:

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

6 hours ago, ilovejasminnie said:

Curious.

Does anyone know what kind of monster/creature Mawang's son is? :)

Do you mean is he associated with an animal the way Oh Gong, Ma Wang, PK & Secretary Ma are? I don't believe he is - he's just another magical being like Sa Oh Jong. Looks like in dramas, games, etc., he's usually portrayed in red/orange clothes since his big ability is special fire which he can shoot from his eyes, nose & mouth.

• Thanks 4

Got to back track a little bit because I’ve been lurking a little <guilty grin>.  Furthermore, I’m still enjoying everyone’s analysis. :wub:

I will have to say that I’m having mixed feelings if they change the ending for the Japanese audience. My first reactions were, what are we chopped liver?! to hmm I wonder if my Japanese friends will watch it so, they can record it. And to argh!  I want to move back to Japan. So yeah, mixed feelings. Also if they change the ending, no season 2! Which is both positive , and negative. :wink:

@40somethingahjumma I have no problems with ASN‘s interference with the darling couple. What I found a tad annoying is that she became a one dimensional villain. And then when she lost her powers even worst. Just so much potential wasted. Even the theories, and analysis on here were mucho better than what we got. That’s why I kind of want a season 2. -(or maybe I’m just a sucker for punishment) 

:huh:

Make the under writers of the Hong sisters write the scripts (similar to what happened to George Lucas’s movies).:D

I enjoy reading different or same perspectives, including yours. Makes watching a show even more enjoyable to watch :wub:

@YourHighness .  I really wish they explained a bit better about Buja. Just tell the viewers where  she went. Is that so hard? Apparently yes. 

Underwriters take note. :D

i think the the current writers went to a convention, “how to annoy a viewer” to ‘how to write poop endings”. They definitely applied it to a t! 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, YourHighness . said:

Of course we know he will never give up and will get JSM out come hell or water. But since it was not SHOWN, some fans are unwilling to accept that it was a hopeful and happy ending. I seriously want to run behind the writers with a pitchfork to make them change the ending. :lol:

It was lazy and horrible writing..they wanted to add in lots of flashbacks to cover the time so went with nonsense amnesia, IMO.

19th episode was not that bad actually. 20th ruined everything. *runs behind the writers with pitchfork again* <_<

LOL, isn't that the truth with writers and writing poopy endings these days. WHAT in the WORLD is wrong with giving us all a happy ever after? We spend so much time watching your shows..reward us instead of punishing the viewers!

Even if you post on the OTP thread, I am sure it will spread to all the fanclubs.

Hide contents

LOL, just make up names and fake emails to sign. :wink: like endingsucked78576366533@gmail.com or something. :lol:

Ep 19 morning scene was the best lol

then i'm a sobbing mess till the end of ep 19

buf i'm still hopeful cos why would you end the big battle and kill off Sunmi in ep 19? Cos you need to give a closure, happy end, wedding, and happy moments for our otp on last ep

i was so shocked and speechless that they spent 1 hour for Sunmi being a wandering spirit  and OG amnesia :blink:

• Like 3