Quantcast
larus

[Drama 2017-2018] A Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi 화유기

18.03.03 Nielsen Cable Ratings

#1 Hwayugi 5.945% (nationwide), 6.205% (Seoul)

18.03.03 TNMS Cable Ratings

#1 Hwayugi 6.8% (nationwide)

#13 Hwayugi rerun 1.8% (nationwide)

Nationwide, Ep 19’s peak Nielsen rating was 6.7%. 2049 target rating was 5.3% average, 6.1% peak. 40s women rating was 11.8% average, 14.1% peak.

In Seoul, peak rating was 6.9%. 2049 target rating was 5.6% average, 6.5% peak.

Cr.tryp96

• Like 9
  • Thanks 5

3 minutes ago, astrobooy said:

18.03.03 Nielsen Cable Ratings

#1 Hwayugi 5.945% (nationwide), 6.205% (Seoul)

18.03.03 TNMS Cable Ratings

#1 Hwayugi 6.8% (nationwide)

#13 Hwayugi rerun 1.8% (nationwide)

Nationwide, Ep 19’s peak Nielsen rating was 6.7%. 2049 target rating was 5.3% average, 6.1% peak. 40s women rating was 11.8% average, 14.1% peak.

In Seoul, peak rating was 6.9%. 2049 target rating was 5.6% average, 6.5% peak.

Cr.tryp96

final episode will hit over 7%+ with TNMS i hope it can do it for Nielsen as well. 

• Like 8

Wow...episode 19 is Daebak-ki-yaaaaaa......!! :heart: Awesome acting from Uri OTPs.

First time I watch a Kdrama where both leading OTP are dead (well, one is dead, one is fainting?)....I was sobbing at the last scene when SOG closed his eyes and tears running down, and the OST I believe you. Perfect.

- SJ sword is only working to fight the ugly evil dragon with GGG's still on SOG's hand? 

- Can SOG  give up his Great Sage power in exchange with JSM's life?

- Aigooo...that SBR and MW weren't involve in the fight.

- There were no official wedding, but they had a first night together. *chuckles* ... I don't mind a shotgun wedding PD-Nim!!

• Like 17

17 minutes ago, dramaalpaca said:

OYS has received so many brickbats for her role which I really don't think is fair. She's really given her all to consistently bring JSM to life and I wonder at how she's able to manage the large amount of dialogue and the physicality of the role (holding yourself still and in character is frankly much harder to do than most people realize & she also gets flung about a fair bit). There have been so many theories about how serious she is in the BTS- but honestly, given that the character seems entirely different from her own natural energy, it must have been a tremendous challenge to play. I like that she brought subtle flashes of humour to her character as well. & her aegyo was adorable- those who seem to have an issue with it have issues for exactly the same reasons that were brought up in the bad mouth demon episode- that she looks too old/ mature to play the ingenue, to which I'm like :P. I liked it that for once the main female lead was a successful CEO who is serious, dedicated to work and compassionate- it wasn't an easy role to play, & she did a good job.

I totally agree about OYS. I watched her in Come Back Mister (my first drama seeing her) and after now watching Hwayugi, wow... I definitely can see how much work she did to portray JSM, even if some may not love her acting or are very critical of it. It would take a lot to get into the mindset of JSM and her mannerisms etc, and OYS does it very well. She became JSM and I can't think of anyone else who could do her justice. It is such a difference to many female leads, I agree, and refreshing. I remember in a BTS interview she said that she is only 15% like JSM (something like that), so it really shows how much she has had to do to become JSM. I think acting totally opposite of who you are must be difficult. I think I also remember LSG saying he is a lot like OG (90% something?) lol.

• Like 11

In the original JTTW, SJ and SOG were rewarded by the heavens and made into Buddhas. They have been hinting that maybe they will be made deities after their sacrifice? Like a sort-of bargain?? Because JTTW is also referring to reincarnation, which I'm not buying this time.  

• Like 3

Whatever.. i mean do people really expect a blokbuster dragon?

so i don't care anymore as long they give us a satisfyig ending. 

The acting has been stellar so far (except for Dragon girl maybe) but i'm sad that Samjang fate is just to be a bowl to contain the evil spirit  then broken to pieces . This is so unfair...

She forsake herself for the world and OG finished the mission  just because she wanted him too.

"The world gets better but it's the world without you there" i cried like crazy. 

It's true that Sunmi is OG whole universe. I can feel the ultimate pain 

Why didn't the other demons at least try to help this otp? They washed their hands clean as soons as they don't need samjang. Hence i admire GF loyalty till the end 

• Like 14
  • LOL 3

I have questions! Now I have not watched ep 19, but reading from the thread here, I couldnt help but wondering...

1. Dragon prince

He was not really in his own body, right? So when he's in Alice's body and Alice got killed, does that mean that he died too? Or did he moved to his original form?

2. About Samjang's blood

Can Samjang's blood still bring souls back to life after Samjang is dead?

It always amazes me how evil characters live on for so long, even after all the nasty deed that they do, and even more amazed that they LET HER LIVE, knowing how evil she is. Yes, I am looking at you, bride-wannabe-priestess! Grrrrrr!!!

I am all for happy ending. It looks devastating now, but I hope they will present us with sweet and beautiful ending tonight. No Gu Family Book-style ending, or BIG-style ending! Be bold! Be clear! Make a 100% happy ending! We want our payoff for investing 20+ hours of our time watching your show!

• Like 9

Did anyone realise that even up to the moment of SM’s death.. she had noone but SOG by her side?

Heavens literally placed a human girl in front of the gates of hell, expecting her to die n succeed in closing it. N don’t forget, they also left her alone with a freaking murderer on the side as well. 

Yeah, SM gained some powers towards the end.. was it enough to defeat a huge richard simmons dragon though? 

Does one really think that her power of being able to.. i duno.. break a wine glass and lift a spoon weakly with her psychic powers, was enough to fight a MURDERER and a BLACK DRAGON? 

The main role of her powers to foresee the future was for her to discover the truth, allowing her to strengthen her resolve to fulfill SJ’s fate. 

So i don’t see what’s the plot hole here.. yeah execution wise of ep 19 could have been better if they had a higher budget. But honestly regarding the way the main characters have been written and acted... i don’t think there’s any major flaw in ep 19

• Like 17

In the text preview it was said that ASN was still around and hiding.

Is she still using the body of buja? If yes, didn't JSM'S blood brought buja's body to life so maybe JSM is not totally dead yet or she's not 100% human to start with. It feels surreal that our beloved Kdrama will come to an end tonight. :D  

• Like 6

I am totally in LOVE with this drama! It is not titled A Korean ODYSSEY for nothing.  ODYSSEY is "a long wandering and eventful journey" (taken from dictionary) and I felt that it was what I got as a viewer. I was on this journey together with the characters as well as the script writers. 

I LOVED the script because maybe it is quite philosophical... I was examining myself and trying to understand human and god as I was watching the drama. ... maybe because of my Christian roots, I can accept everything that was written thus far?

Sorry it will be a looooooong post because I really LOVED this drama  ALOT!!

1. Many complained about why the HEAVENS are so cruel and want a human to solve the problem.
The EVIL is a builtup of all the evil created by HUMANs (that's what the first half of the story is about EVIL created by our selfishness) so shouldn't HUMANs solve this problem? That's why a HUMAN is needed to show the HEAVENs that there is goodness on EARTH. SM happen to be that HUMAN - embodiment of GOODNESS. If you asked me, the HEAVENS did intercede. Why would a death bell be made known to SOG? Why would White Heron  look for SOG? Why would grandma tell SOG so much??? I see it as HEAVENs way of telling you to think differently.  

Isn't life like this? When we are struggling or having a hard time, we pray to GOd and ask GOD to relieve us of hte pain but what comes are people telling us what to do or not to do? They are messengers of GOD. Ultimately what we choose to do is our free will..

2. Many complained that the script is a mess.

I thought it was a very thought-provoking and complex script with an overarching theme of LOVE.... It's like watching a Shakesphere play!! the first part of the show tells us that EVIL is created by HUMANs .. We had discussions about the various forms of EVIL and that was what we do when we discuss Shakesphere play during literature class!! IT's amazing right? 

the second part of the show tells us that to overcome EVIL it is LOVE.... it is very much aligned to what Christians believe...

1. ASN showed us what a person who does not receive will become - craving for LOVE in all other forms (that led me to reflect on my children, did they receive the LOVE that they need? ) Noticed how she soften when PK showered his love and trust in ASN. 

2. MW showed us what loving for a lifetime meant - I believed it is HEAVENs will that allowed him to redeem the sins of Iron FAN Fairy.

3. GF & SF showed us what sibling love is all about 

4. MW & SOG showed us  the love between friends - there is rivarly, loyalty, supporting what the other party wants to do even if it means losing his life, 

5. Alice (EAST SEA prince) & PK - I remembered in the original JTTW, the white horse is the eastern sea prince and his role is just to follow the monk and he sacrificed himself to save the monk once because the rest of the disciples were not around. So I guess this is how the writers chose to show through ALICE. It is LOVE alright - sacrifice for the someone.

6. SOG & JSM - that is the highest level of love - AGAPE LOVE - Agape love involves faithfulness, commitment, and an act of the will. It is distinguished from the other types of love by its lofty moral nature and strong character. 

That is why there are conversations between the GODs, what will JSM choose and what will SOG choose. Both have demonstrated that they will be faithful to their cause and is committed to ensure the task is done. 

That is why the GGG has transformed from an object of obedience to an object of LOVE. That was what the scene when SOG fought with the dragon meant (thought the fight is a little underwhelming).

SOG's journey is from being annoyed with the GGG to willingly putting on the GGG out of love for JSM; that is affirmed by Grandma Peddlar...

JSM's journey from being angry with her ghost reading abilities to accepting her SJ role; that is selflessness to the max

For me - reflect on my our actions and how we can make the world a better place. 

• Like 22

22 minutes ago, immortal_piglet said:

Did anyone realise that even up to the moment of SM’s death.. she had noone but SOG by her side?

Heavens literally placed a human girl in front of the gates of hell, expecting her to die n succeed in closing it. N don’t forget, they also left her alone with a freaking murderer on the side as well. 

Yeah, SM gained some powers towards the end.. was it enough to defeat a huge richard simmons dragon though? 

Does one really think that her power of being able to.. i duno.. break a wine glass and lift a spoon weakly with her psychic powers, was enough to fight a MURDERER and a BLACK DRAGON? 

The main role of her powers to foresee the future was for her to discover the truth, allowing her to strengthen her resolve to fulfill SJ’s fate. 

So i don’t see what’s the plot hole here.. yeah execution wise of ep 19 could have been better if they had a higher budget. But honestly regarding the way the main characters have been written and acted... i don’t think there’s any major flaw in ep 19

Agree they have been hinting all these things  so far. The twist was. instead of Sunmi summoning the dragon into her body, OG comes on time but too bad she was already stabbed by KDS.

even if OG didn't come, she would have stabbed herself either way.

The moment when Sunmi stared at the wiggly funny dragon bravely, i was in tears. She is such a strong and sefless woman. Gaaah... no wonder OG loves her like crazy.

I feel aad that the moment she died only OG is by her side. No one knows her sacrifice... no one shed a tears for her. Why??!!!!! If Buja was at least there she would be by her unnie side. Looking at ASN still wandering around in Buja's body.. i feel that Buja's ending is gonna be a tragic one. 

• Like 14

47 minutes ago, immortal_piglet said:

I think when she went to ask SBR about her role in destroying the black dragon, she was told she needs to take it inside her body and die with it. Since SOG refused to kill her, I think she was going to commit suicide with that ceremonial knife while the heaven people locked SOG up to prevent him from interfering. Though I agree, both the demons and gods' treatment of SJ is just too cold. Its very disconcerting and has been bothering me this whole time. Hopefully, everything is wrapped up nicely in tomorrow's episode.

• Like 11

34 minutes ago, haymochi said:

Agree they have been hinting all these things  so far. The twist was. instead of Sunmi summoning the dragon into her body, OG comes on time but too bad she was already stabbed by KDS.

even if OG didn't come, she would have stabbed herself either way.

The moment when Sunmi stared at the wiggly funny dragon bravely, i was in tears. She is such a strong and sefless woman. Gaaah... no wonder OG loves her like crazy.

I feel aad that the moment she died only OG is by her side. No one knows her sacrifice... no one shed a tears for her. Why??!!!!! If Buja was at least there she would be by her unnie side. Looking at ASN still wandering around in Buja's body.. i feel that Buja's ending is gonna be a tragic one. 

Omg yes.. aside from OG, SM only has Buja and Han Joo who cares about her :’(

oh and Jonathan. How could i forget about him! The necklace he gave SM will be a symbolic item that brings SM back to life for a day. So i guess he is important afterall haha.

• Like 5

Done watching, I hate the ending!!! I'm bawling my eyes out.:bawling: I hate they made me cry!

Previously people out there or maybe here too ask, what's the importance of the dragon jade here as a part of the story. Ahhh.. feeling so upset that they haven't killed that richard simmons ASN yet instead of the dragon prince. Why would they turn PK into that idiot to make the dragon prince's character has a meaning? Why why why writers? Just get rid of that ASN!!

How hard and desperate SOG tried to keep SJ alive to just end up having her dead is like they're shredding my hearts to pieces. :bawling:  She can't be died just like that right??? Like maybe SOG is able to heal her wounds?? I just want they find her a way to keep her alive. Or just let her turn to be a deity. He left her dead body in his home and fight that bad CG dragon. Ughh.. I feel a bit unsatisfied with it. How it can be looked just like a poor CG monster game I've ever run into?? Lol. Seriously if it's not the great acting from the stars, the fight scene with the dragon almost crack me up. I'm sorry to sound so bitter. Please don't take it to the heart. I'm just feeling so depressed with all of this. So I'm just going to howl all about it. 

And with that preview for tonight, aahh.. just please don't go to reincarnation route!! Is that why the preview of that namsan tower shows a glimpse of SOG saying "remember me" We want happy ending not a sad ending!! 

Enough with those, here's my thought on this episode. 

Oh.. they do really give us that blissful night scene. Lol. Okay.. I won't say further. I realized they made it so that meaningly beautiful to make us feel more pain to see how the two are in anguish like now. 

ohh.. she's not stabbing herself for dying! It's KDS did! That evil jerk! And he ran away??? If he didn't stab her then SJ will be just fine or is this also part of the heaven's plan to let her got stabbed by him? Why r writers doing this huh? :bawling:

I bet ep 20 will be about to drag him down of his good reputation and uncover all his bad deed to the world. I really hope he turned into an evil spirit and SOG will burn him to dust! 

Then back to the happy ending wish, I hope they're working the right thing to turn all this tragedy to be a happy one. I still high hopes that SM will still be alive, MW sensed her dead through her blood in his body already scared me to hope tho. Sighh

Talking about ASN, I actually really lost any sympathy for her. Trying to understand her but she is a rotten soul after all. For one time I ever expect that she'll turn good. Such a pity that she actually just need to be acknowledged and loved. But who's gonna do it for her if she never ever try to sincerely love anyone. What a pitiful ASN if I must say.

Oh almost forgot, I love the scene where SOG shoots MW with all those cute fingerhearts. Aww.. it's so touching how he says sorry for troubling him and thank you for worrying about him. He's like saying his goodbye there and it's pretty upsetting. 

We still have full 1 hour more or less to see all of this will end. Waiting for the final, and happy ending!

• Like 8

That necklace in ep 20 preview is another ppl from Minigold right?

the meaning is happy end. If Sunmi doesn't get a happy ending ... then can say goodbye to selling those necklaces hmmph <_<

@briseis you worded these two beuatiful people intimate moment so beautifully. Yes he is a god who worship Sunmi like a goddess :wub:. He treasures her like the most precious thing ever exist in the whole universe

*gonna rewatch ep 19 again till the sofa scene  ONLY

• Like 4
  • LOL 4

The series would have been better if it was pre produced instead of filmed like weekly.

CGI would have been much more higher quality, about the character's and plot holes i dont see any of that in episode 19.

This is still the best OST though the lyrics fit the show the best.

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

That moment when Seon Mi realizes that not even all the gods in Heaven could stop Oh Gong from coming to her rescue and risking his life for her! 

MGT7XXO.jpg

It’s such a heartwrenching moment that SM died but after all she has been through and the lonely, unprotected life she lead, thinking that she would die alone and unloved, untouched, it’s comforting that she died being protected, loved, cherished and mourned for by a god and a man who loved her so much that he saved the world for her even after she was gone from it and his heart shattered to million pieces. In episode 4, OG promised SM that he would protect her even if the world fell apart, the world is falling apart around them right now and he is still there holding her in his arms, calling her name like a spell that could keep Death at bay.

You can pinpoint the exact moment OG realizes SM is going to die and he can’t do anything to save her; the hopeless, desperate look when he realizes that for all his strength he’s powerless to prevent it. So he takes her away to a beautiful place, he takes her home because he can’t bear for her to die in such a terrible, evil place; it’s heartwrenching that he has to watch her die in the very place where they hoped to live happily after together.

YMIy7H8.jpg

The way they mirror each other’s touch!!!

And as he is holding her in his arms while the life is leaving her body, Oh Gong becomes the most hopeless person in the entire universe because he can’t tell SM that his love for her has always been real because that would destroy her and break her heart so he shatters his own instead. That’s the tragedy of the Great Sage and his greatest defeat as he has to watch as the only woman he has ever loved dies in his arms; and all that’s left to him is to cling to her lifeless body; her blood still on his cheek.

V0mQhIj.jpg

• Like 7
  • Sad 24
  • Thanks 1