[Drama 2017-2018] A Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi 화유기

larus

I have just watched ep 18 and realized that this is the first time MW and the peddler's grandson had real conversation. I like it that they have the same reaction towards GGG. Hahaha. I like it that the grandson was oblivious towards everything else but MW (he called him Ajusshi. Even SBR didnt get that treatment, yes?)

That kiss! Oh yesss... all along, I keep wondering how they moved from the window onto the bed. Did they stop kissing somewhere and move to cozier place? LOL. Anw I think it was beautiful, thinking that this kiss is the first kiss with both of them realizing their true feelings toward one another. 

Now about that apocalypse. Yass! Bring it on! I think we can survive it, knowing that we are just 2 eps away from the finale, and it has been talked about for soooo long. Funny thing is that the technicality of the apocalypse and samjang's role had been quite vague until this ep. Is it true that there is only ONE way to do it? Will monkey's determination change anything? I asked this because the peddler granny told monkey that since monkey wins over the power of GGG, and since he is willing to sacrifice himelf for samjang, (love and death) destiny will change. If they have death destiny before, this time it may go different way. Hence, possibly a rosier path.

This is my take on this. Since i dont have the rule book, i really dunno what awaits them at the end of the road if they are alive, or if they die. In my mind, it is much better if they both become immortals or mortals, and spend their long or short life together without ever seeing the other person die.

• Like 6

Me too,  I am also hoping of beautiful ending for this drama, especially when the granny merchant said that their fate had changed, and the great sage has this strong beliefs that he can stop the forthcoming chaos, I’m more convinced of a happy ending. 

Since SOG and JSMis a strong pair,  I cannot imagine what would be their child would be :D

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, missirina said:

Me too! Maybe it's wishful thinking, but yes I believe they'll go the happy ending route.

Cutting herself would do the trick I think. The dragon won't be able to resist. But yes, not sure if it will be MW, and if he'll tell everything to her.

It would be great if that really happens, I mean removing the GGG in front of SM. Can't wait to see SM's face haha.. And then they will kiss (as what some fans claim they see at the Tower scene)! Activation mode on! (Not that they need one anymore, but I'll never look at the word 'activation' the same again after this haha) :blush:

Me too and I am really hoping she sees that the GGG is useless instead of just being told by MW or someone else. I want her to see and be happy that the love is true and pure between them. Pure enough for SOG to risk his own life for hers. Before she dies, I want her to know that so we can see her proper reacting. Not when she is dying or about to die, that won't give us enough time to see her happiness.

@marinated_lemon The death destiny changed because SOG fell in love with her and he refuses to hurt her, let alone kill her. Since that changed, the path that the deities planned went haywire and so JSM and SOG have a chance at happy ever after.

The deities intended to make SOG kill JSM while making them doubt his love. He was supposed to feel real pain for few moments. As per their plan, whether his pain would have been ever lasting or momentary, we don't know.

BUT SOG realized that his feelings are real and that the GGG is useless for him. This eliminated any chance of him killing JSM, which meant the duty of sacrifice came onto JSM. It will be her choice to sacrifice herself for the world. Sam Jang was only supposed to be an unthinking sacrificial lamb. SJ were never made into deities. SJ were never supposed to make an uniformed decision. SJ were never supposed to have powers to make sacrificing themselves possible. By taking that decision, JSM went above and beyond her duty, which makes her liable to deity-hood.

What's happening right now is the changed fate. The path flowing differently than what was written. SOG and JSM both changed it with their love. SOG by falling in love irrevocably and JSM by loving and making SOG a better person  because he loves her. If not for JSM and her characteristics, SOG would not have changed.

• Like 7

11 hours ago, parenicossu said:

Not sure if anyone already posted anything about this.

But.. what if? ㅋㅋㅋ

Reveal hidden contents

No But If's chingu. It's a definite IT!:wink:

Kid:   Ahjusshi, you forgot your umbrella.

MW:  Ahjusshi?

Kid:   What about it?

MW:  There are no evil spirits who call me ahjusshi.

Kid:   Ah, it's Ma Wang, right? Can't I call you ahjusshi anyway?

MW:  Fine. Just call me ahjusshi. Take care. And stop stealing.

m3v0nWR.gifj09bIat.gif

LsvqUGm.gifBa9dBhz.gif

Fl69rb5.giffeaKTVl.gif

UOlCRq5.gifihTltwO.gif

GyUfItX.gifiCTdxdw.gif

tw: letsflytoasiarenata

You can't deny the calling of your own blood. His son is such a cheeky little brat, though.:tongue:

P.s. I wish MW would somehow find out that the boy is his. Otherwise it's just too sad.

• Like 7

lol.. finally watched ep 18..

and ha ha a.. i am more excited about them showing the dragon ... yay! i legit thought they won't show it..

or that CG won't be great.. but i like this..

when the dragon will rise. .. it would be a b'ful site.. I wish goblin director was directing thsi show.. atleast for the rise of the dragon scene :tongue:

although i like these dragons under water stories.. because of taro the dragon boy..  :(

2 hours ago, astrobooy said:

Abit offtopic here after watching all the butlers ep 8 seems like LSG wants to get married lmao and he ask when he will get a kiss again :wub:

he is doing that since ep 1.. first with song song wedding..lamenting how much guts it takes to marry at thsi age..

is he yearning to marry yoona :tongue:

Are we never going to address which human betrayed monkey to lead to that 500 yr prison?

• Like 1

@enigmatic_zephy 

I was stoked too when I saw the dragon. It kind of reminded me of the dragon from the movie  Never Ending Story. 

They can always make a second season to address all those questions. —-fingers crossed—-To name a few: 

1. ASN’s  back story

2. SOG’s back story

Or a manwha.  That would work too. :D

• Like 3

2 hours ago, astrobooy said:

Abit offtopic here after watching all the butlers ep 8 seems like LSG wants to get married lmao and he ask when he will get a kiss again :wub:

LOL..sorry for also  off topic...this has been discussed in the OYS + LSG shipper paradise..as in the ep Hyang seong even teased him " have I kissed someone in the last 30 days" (LSG's reaction is daenak) of which he reacted with " when will he get to kiss again?"

and the book answers with " stimulate your appetite":lol::lol:

• Like 8
  • LOL 5

6 hours ago, haymochi said:

As usual.. who wanna bet that MW will be the one telling Sunmi about OG's plan?

these demons want the points but don't want to do anything. I'm 100% serious here, what has Mawang done other than putting Sunmi at risk all the time?

People seem to put shield on his character because he is funny but him and PK sre quite bad actually. Yes, Mawang hidden love for OG is cute but i really wanna see OG gets angry at him for doing that to Sunmi.

Sunmi has been saint to him all the time. Sigh.. it's weird how her character received flak  few eps ago for being sincere and kind? But being evil is okay because they are funny?

I clapped so hard reading this. Thank you!

• Like 5

9 hours ago, juzluvpink said:

U are more or less there. My translation is an estimate as I’m not that proficient.

“After confirming their love for each other, SOG and JSM spent a blissful evening with each other.

In order to save JSM, SOG sent SM away so that he can fight with the Black Dragon.

After she realised SOG is preparing to die in her stead, JSM went to find Patriach and inform him that she will fulfil the calling of SJ as directed by the heavenly realms.

At the same time, ASN wanted awaken a dragon to show off her strength to KDS, she awaken the Black Dragon...

JSM headed to stop the Black Dragon and was at brink of death(?). SOG rushed to JSM to rescue her.

Nice translation. It's basically right. And to confirm, the last line of the preview says:

"Seon Mi who has gone to stop the black dragon and Oh Gong who is running to save Seon Mi who is on the brink of death!"

I'm glad that OG and SM were able to have a happy, uninterrupted night together. :) And, I was hoping they would team up, but nope, they chose the do-whatever-you-can-to-save-the-other-person-for-their-own-good route. Oh well.

But anyway, it looks as if the showdown is happening. Hopefully, OG who has partaken of SM (carnally if not in an edible way), really does experience an increase of strength and powers. :D

Is it really the finale this weekend? Anyway, I am still expecting a happy ever after ending from this drama. :)

We haven't knows how powerful Samjang is, maybe Samjang has a power like Jean Grey in X-Men : Apocalypse (2016), when Professor Charles tell her "Let go. Unleash your power Jean. No fear" then be volaa the super power of destroy things appear, the Apocalypse die. If Samjang has that power then the dragon will be defeated plus she has OG, so they will win over dragon. But dunno is Samjang power will be that way or just an empty bowl to fill the evil. Just hope for the happy ending

• Like 10

1 hour ago, dvrels said:

We haven't knows how powerful Samjang is, maybe Samjang has a power like Jean Grey in X-Men : Apocalypse (2016), when Professor Charles tell her "Let go. Unleash your power Jean. No fear" then be volaa the super power of destroy things appear, the Apocalypse die. If Samjang has that power then the dragon will be defeated plus she has OG, so they will win over dragon. But dunno is Samjang power will be that way or just an empty bowl to fill the evil. Just hope for the happy ending

I hope she becomes Jean Grey. The heavenly realm will then be surprised that they forged a powerful couple. Hahhaa

• LOL 8

On 2/26/2018 at 7:44 AM, stroppyse said:

Okay, I realize that I'm flooding the thread with translations, and I'm going to stop actually. However, one last translation of the conversations that OG has with the Granny who is clearly a goddess. In the episode, the conversation happens over two scenes, broken up by MW also realizing how to break the power of the geumganggo, but which I'm not including in this translation.

(OG goes to find the Granny at her store)

Granny: Great Sage, Equal to Heaven has come.
OG: You met Sam Jang, didn’t you? Why did you go looking for her?
Granny: Since she’s a very special and particular person.
OG: Why did you meet her to tell her to empty herself or whatever? What are you planning to fill it with after she’s emptied herself that you went talking to her like that?
Granny: Sam Jang is a bowl. A very special bowl to be filled with the world’s worst evil spirit.
OG: So. You have to fill the emptied bowl with an evil spirit, then broke it, in order for you to feel good?
Granny: It’s not that simple. At the very end, it’s a choice that Sam Jang has to make. That child is a special human being who is capable of making such a sacrifice.
OG: Please, just leave her alone to live. That sacrifice, I will make it.
Granny: The arrogant and temperamental Great Sage, Equal to Heaven has been made to choose to be a sacrifice.
OG: You’re the one who caused me to be put in the geumganggo. You. Who are you?
Granny: Son Oh Gong, you no longer need the restraints of the geumganggo. Then the geumganggo must have no power then.

OG: You’re saying that I can take the geumganggo off myself?
Granny: You no longer have any thoughts of harming the person who controls the geumganggo or of freeing yourself of it. Why would you need something to keep you restrained? You have freed yourself of the geumganggo’s control. So then, the fate of the death bell and the plans of the heavens could all flow differently as well.

Okay, so that conversation is definitely hope that our OTP can have a happy ending, right? :D

Thanks for all the translations @stroppyse! This is my favourite scene in episode 18 because it is full of love and hope. I believed it changed the way OG responded to SM at the end of the episode. 

1.  SM is so precious to OG - no longer a prey or a bowl. [MW echoed what we are thinking: Tell her OG she will be so happy.] 

2. OG wants to give SM what she always wanted - an ordinary life without monsters. He is willing to lose his immortality for a mortal. So romantic (someone said OG is a closet romantic!) [MW echoed what the old OG would have said: the solution is simple just let her be the sacrifice afterall she is a human]

3. OG got his answer to his question - what will remain when GGG is removed. He couldn't believe his ears - he wanted his feelings to stay when he told MW to chop off his hand. He went to verify if he could indeed remove the GGG immediately. You can see in his eyes those tears of joy and sadness... He knows he will suffer the same fate as the white heron - her death will indeed lead to his death. 

4. OG is capable of changing fate because he overcome GGG. So the death bell is no longer valid : one will not kill the other anymore. Both of them are willing to sacrifice for the other! That's a new path for the both of them. 

2 hours ago, stroppyse said:

I'm glad that OG and SM were able to have a happy, uninterrupted night together. :) And, I was hoping they would team up, but nope, they chose the do-whatever-you-can-to-save-the-other-person-for-their-own-good route. Oh well.

Is it really the finale this weekend? Anyway, I am still expecting a happy ever after ending from this drama. :)

Sorry to cut this post. based on the conversation with Granny, a sacrifice need to be made. This evil is created by humans so human will have to solve the problem. Humans either suffer the consequences of their evil-doing i.e. being eradicated killing each other or a human with a pure soul sacrifice for humankind  (along the idea of Jesus Christ) so they can continue living. 

1 hour ago, dvrels said:

@dvrels I also think that through her sacrifice more powers will be unleashed. It is only when you dare to lose that you gain more right? I think that is why Granny says she has to empty herself and she is a special being. Remember she willingly choose to be locked up in the coffin and she is rewarded with powers. If she had not made that choice, she wouldn't have unleashed her powers. 

So I am really excited at how her sacrifice will change things.

FINALLY , I believe we will have a HAPPY ending! #hwayugihappyending !! :heart: 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2