[Drama 2017-2018] A Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi 화유기

larus

10 minutes ago, missirina said:

Ok, just want to share something. I haven't watched the actual episode yet, only the snippets posted in the forum, so please forgive me if this doesn't make sense or is not really true. But has it been shown why SOG is breaking up with SM?

I think he wants to make sure SM won't interfere with his plan which could very well end with his death. My take is that he's going to let ASN proceed with her plan to summon the dragon and fight it with everything he has, so that it won't have any chance to possess SM. But how's that going to work if GGG comes off? We all know that he loves SM, but he himself is not sure for now. So he's afraid if SM knows about his plan, she's going to take GGG off.

But I still don't know what is the end game with KDS though. It seems he has a lot of skeletons in his closet, that he won't want people to know. Evil intentions creates evil spirit? Seems very likely another Akiko(?) will be born.

3 more episodes people! *Sigh* I'm going to miss this :bawling:  Although the good news is maybe I can finally focus fully on work in two weeks time.

Or not. I'm anticipating another kdrama soon. And it's a second season. Lol. Sorry guys. OK I'm going now.

You are right that's his plan. He is going to fight to protect Sunmi at all cost

in one scene he did confess that he is falling deeper and deeper in love with her so even without the GGG it will feel the same.

from what i understand is OG knows Sunmi is still afraid of killing him and doing things behind his back like telling about the scary premonition to WG instead of him. So he have to do this to protect her.. even if he die for her, she shouldn't feel guilty or upset.

the words he said to Sunmi was the last straw of breaking her heart. Sunmi always believes that OG love was only  because of the GGG. He said "my mind will disappear, we are fated as the predator and prey, blah blah blah" confirmed what she thought all this time is correct.

My heart broke to pieces

so ready to cry on Sunmi's drunk confession scene... i hope she blurts out all her feelings and frustration so OG won't be able to seperate for her.

i always hate this part of episodes towards ending from Hong sisters dramas

• Like 4
  • Sad 4

10 minutes ago, haymochi said:

You are right that's his plan. He is going to fight to protect Sunmi at all cost

in one scene he did confess that he is falling deeper and deeper in love with her so even without the GGG it will feel the same.

from what i understand is OG knows Sunmi is still afraid of killing him and doing things behind his back like telling about the scary premonition to WG instead of him. So he have to do this to protect her.. even if he die for her, she shouldn't feel guilty or upset.

the words he said to Sunmi was the last straw of breaking her heart. Sunmi always believes that OG love was only  because of the GGG. He said "my mind will disappear, we are fated as the predator and prey, blah blah blah" confirmed what she thought all this time is correct.

My heart broke to pieces

so ready to cry on Sunmi's drunk confession scene... i hope she blurts out all her feelings and frustration so OG won't be able to seperate for her.

i always hate this part of episodes towards ending from Hong sisters dramas

Thank you for your explanation. Me too! I'm so sad even without seeing the full episode yet. Gonna bawl my eyes off when I do, I know it :bawling: :bawling:

• Sad 2

I'm still in the midst of back reading here and haven't watched the latest episode yet, but went to check VIKI, saw this, and thought "Wait, that's ASN!":

vikibanner3.png

I know they're promoting LSG and OYS with this banner more than the story characters, but do any other Sun Mi fans feel a tiny bit like VIKI's latest banner is practically false advertising? :blink:    :tongue::wink:

• Like 1
  • LOL 11

Episode 17 is really telegraphing all sorts of anxiety inducing things from almost the very beginning of the episode. This is the conversation in it's entirety that OG and SM have in his room.  I think there are some video clips which cover most of this, but I'm just going to give the translated conversation.

(OG is looking up his dome while SM is sitting on his bed below.)

SM: I asked whether something happened with Examiner Subori?
OG: It wasn’t much of anything.
SM: You said “Fighting” when you went. Did you really fight with him before you returned?
OG: I was really angry, so I caused a ruckus where all the deities could see it. That’s all. I don’t think I’m going to be able to be promoted to one of them. That’s okay, isn’t it?
SM: It’s not okay. Why didn’t you take me with you? I had a lot of things to say as well. When I’m angry now, I’m also going to break things and cause a scene and things like that. I also want to cause a total ruckus.
OG: Okay. Then next time, let’s make sure to go together. There is a method to making a ruckus. First, break everything that you see.
SM: Okay. I’ll have to break everything. Saying “If anyone disturbs my Oh Gong-ie, then I won’t leave them alone.”
OG: I feel very secure. (me: meaning because SM has his back)
SM: I also have one of these. (holding up her hand with the her geumganggo ring on her finger) Call my name.
OG: Jin Seon Me
SM: Oh. Still, I can’t just suddenly appear by your side.
OG: Do you want to suddenly appear?
SM: Well, if I could, that would be great, too.
OG: (whispered in her ear after disappearing) Jin Seon Mi
OG: Oy! (from the bed behind her, causing her to turn around) When I called you, you suddenly appeared in front of me.
SM: You did it. Still, it does feel good. Whenever you need me, you call me at any time.
OG: Really? I can call you whenever? (stroking the bed) Though you don’t know where or what I will call you to do, it’s all okay?
SM: Uh, no. Text or phone me before you call for me.
OG: Moving you around is very difficult and tiring. Instead of doing that, you call me. And, don’t be afraid. (at SM's lack of reaction) I’m saying don’t be afraid to call my name.
SM: Son Oh Gong, are you really okay not taking off the geumganggo? I said I would take it off you. If that was off, then your feelings for me will also disappear. Then there won’t be any reason for you to do dangerous things because of me.
OG: Will it really all disappear? That’s what you believe, isn’t it? And, that’s what I believed as well. However, I must be crazy. I continue to like you more and more. Even in this moment when I’m looking at you, you become prettier and prettier to me. But, will all this really disappear in one moment? Can you really believe that?
SM: In the past, that caused me to feel really sad. However, these days, I actually think it’s a relief. That it’s the way that your heart can become comfortable letting me go.
OG: That’s right. Sometime in the future, if you call me, and I don’t come, it’s because all my feelings for you have disappeared. For awhile, I’m going to be busy. Regardless of what I do, don’t be shocked. I’ll go now. (disappears in a puff)

This conversation just has so much. There is the couply chit chat about OG's activities, including some overt flirtation, with a bit of a come hithering from OG to SM. I am a bit surprised that SM was so missish in response though since I thought that she also wanted to take their relationship further.

All that sweetness though, and it leads to showing that SM still believes that OG's feelings for her are because of the geumganggo, while OG has his doubts now whether it's all due to the geumganggo.

However, it also seems to set it up for OG to prepare SM for OG possibly not coming to her side. While OG may put it that it's because of the geumganggo being everything that he won't come to her, OG is setting up some dangerous activities to try to protect SM. He doesn't want SM to think that he died for her because he knows how much that would hurt her if that were to happen. So, even though it's clear that OG no longer thinks the geumganggo is the only thing responsible for the way he feels about her, and that he knows that SM loves him, he's taking steps to try to protect SM's feelings even in case he loses and dies, using an explanation that will cause SM the lesser of two pains.  Watching OG being so thoughtful of SM in this way ultimately took this scene to a sad place, even though at this point, it's still foreshadowning what OG is going to try to do rather than because he's already taken steps to do it.

This ep did give me major anxiety and stress  uuurgh 

:bawling:

Sunmi now is just running around to save the world and die as as a sacrifice . Left alone again without anyone to hold on to.... how can OG let this girl suffer again? I thought he treats her so preciously

• Sad 8

26 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

SM: In the past, that caused me to feel really sad. However, these days, I actually think it’s a relief. That it’s the way that your heart can become comfortable letting me go.

All that sweetness though, and it leads to showing that SM still believes that OG's feelings for her are because of the geumganggo, while OG has his doubts now whether it's all due to the geumganggo.

However, it also seems to set it up for OG to prepare SM for OG possibly not coming to her side. While OG may put it that it's because of the geumganggo being everything that he won't come to her, OG is setting up some dangerous activities to try to protect SM. He doesn't want SM to think that he died for her because he knows how much that would hurt her if that were to happen. So, even though it's clear that OG no longer thinks the geumganggo is the only thing responsible for the way he feels about her, and that he knows that SM loves him, he's taking steps to try to protect SM's feelings even in case he loses and dies, using an explanation that will cause SM the lesser of two pains.  Watching OG being so thoughtful of SM in this way ultimately took this scene to a sad place, even though at this point, it's still foreshadowning what OG is going to try to do rather than because he's already taken steps to do it.

Sorry to cut your post. Thanks for the translated conversation and your thoughts on OG thoughtfulness.  I agree with you that OG doesn't want SM to think that he died for her.

However, this statement made by SM gave me the idea that SM might have guessed or seen  that she is the one to be sacrificed and she is probably trying to convince OG and herself that GGG will make it easier for him. OG has always been more straightforward and direct in the way he approaches things so we get to see him doing things for her... SM, on the other hand,is the opposite of OG, she thinks deeply about things and she protects OG in her own quiet ways and it is usually not portrayed to us the audience... 

I am really hoping SM will show what happens when a HUMAN put her mind, soul and heart to doing GOOD as opposed to the evil HUMANs have created so far in the drama. I hope SM will show that when HUMAN does GOOD work, the impact will be far more impactful than the evil they create. 

I am really loving the writing for this drama... It is amazing thus far, I really hope they don't disappoint us.. I am putting this drama as my NUMBER 1 drama from my 10 years of watching Kdrama!! :heart:

• Like 15

Right now, since the death fate remains, there are 2 possible endings:

Ending No. 1:

Sun Mi dies, and fulfills the fate of Sam Jang.

Thus far, the show has laid its foundation for the story to develop this way.

1) Previous SJs had all went through this path, as confirmed by the white Heron.

2) Death ends all pain, so the true punishment for OG would be to see the death of his beloved

3) The sword can never be destroyed. It has a life of its own, and will surely find its way back to the crux of the moment. It is Heaven’s will. The sword is not meant to kill the protector, instead it will be wielded by the protector to kill SJ. And it will only disappear again when it has fulfilled its purpose to end SJ’s life. 

4) SJ loves the world, despite how cruel people have treated her throughout her life. In ep 17, when she asked HJ to imagine the world collapsing, HJ shuddered and said that he doesn’t want to think about such a thing since he has his beloved children. At that moment, SJ realised that in her vision of the apocalypse, there are HJ’s family’s lives at stake as well. With this realisation, I believe SJ will develop a very strong will to make a noble sacrifice for the world. 

5) Her character of selflessness will never allow the great sage, whom she loves so deeply as well, to die in her stead. 

With this strong will of hers, she will make sure her fates carries out as how it is meant to be. Hence, the text preview, “in order to shoulder the fate of disappearing to save the world, Sun Mi bids farewell to OG and sorts out her feelings”.

Ending No. 2:

OG dies in her stead

Honestly, I don’t know if this is possible. Why?

1) The death fate is where one will die, and one will kill. How on earth will our selfless heroine kill the only being who has showered her with so much tender loving care all these while?

2) Our monkey king is immortal, with a stone body and will hardly feel pain. The key to killing OG lies in his heart, which is softened by GGG.

So I think the crux ultimately lies in GGG. GGG is an item to exert control over the bearer. I hope SM realises soon enough that GGG is literally a torture tool to bend OG to her will.

So far GGG can exert 2 different types of pain. First it’s heartache, which arises when SM is sad and in danger. Heartache however cannot kill you. Second it’s heart pain, this is a physical pain, which arises when OG defies SM. It inflicts excruciating pain to the point that it can stop OG in his tracks and spit out blood.

Can the second pain cause death to OG? Maybe. But what use would it be? It will just weaken OG in the process, and he wouldn’t be able to fight the black dragon. And that’s when it occurred to me, that only if OG is weakened, he would have no choice but to use the sword to kill the devil. 

As long as the death fate remains, it will still ultimately lead to ending no. 1.

• Like 5
  • Sad 6

16 minutes ago, immortal_piglet said:

Right now, since the death fate remains, there are 2 possible endings:

Ending No. 1:

Sun Mi dies, and fulfills the fate of Sam Jang.

Thus far, the show has laid its foundation for the story to develop this way.

1) Previous SJs had all went through this path, as confirmed by the white Heron.

2) Death ends all pain, so the true punishment for OG would be to see the death of his beloved

3) The sword can never be destroyed. It has a life of its own, and will surely find its way back to the crux of the moment. It is Heaven’s will. The sword is not meant to kill the protector, instead it will be wielded by the protector to kill SJ. And it will only disappear again when it has fulfilled its purpose to end SJ’s life. 

4) SJ loves the world, despite how cruel people have treated her throughout her life. In ep 17, when she asked HJ to imagine the world collapsing, HJ shuddered and said that he doesn’t want to think about such a thing since he has his beloved children. At that moment, SJ realised that in her vision of the apocalypse, there are HJ’s family’s lives at stake as well. With this realisation, I believe SJ will develop a very strong will to make a noble sacrifice for the world. 

5) Her character of selflessness will never allow the great sage, whom she loves so deeply as well, to die in her stead. 

With this strong will of hers, she will make sure her fates carries out as how it is meant to be. Hence, the text preview, “in order to shoulder the fate of disappearing to save the world, Sun Mi bids farewell to OG and sorts out her feelings”.

I also do believe it will be nº 1, sadly :( (sorry for cutting your post)

I believe they are preparing us for heartbreak, with the lyrics of that new released OST and the way the story is going...

I think SJ will choose to die and they'll make it really dramatic, having fought with SOG and not speaking to him. Probably SOG will witness her death (maybe he won't killed her, but It'll be like a suicide?) and he'll regret not talking to her, not spending her last minutes on Earth with her (cue dramatic music and :bawling:)  and remembering her... and maybe then we'll get a HEA in heaven or as deities ? Or maybe SOG will end the world after SJ death, who knows?! Anyway, It'll be sad. 

• Sad 6

If they are going to make either of them die then this seperation and noble idiocy is so unnecessary.

i'm just going to think that this sadness will lead them to a happy end.

if not their sacrifice and love for each other meant nothing. Sunmi's life is already so sad.. can i at least see her be happy? Be loved? And have a family of her own?

• Like 7

Guest norakim

I feel like the writers have no idea what to do with Bora's character. She has no real purpose now other than being in the background. What was the purpose of her being possessed? She had a better character development when she was Alice and Buja's rival.    

don't worry, guys.. Sunmi is smart, she knows OG said those words to keep her away from his plan, I think she will find out the truth, and also takes matter in her own hands which is equally scary.

they worry too much on the situations after GGG removed, its been going back and forth several episodes. but, at this point GGG only serve as a magic transporter that bring OG to Sunmi ASAP, (and that is the only reason I don't want it to be removed just yet), whilst for the feelings, it is too real to not be sincere, like the elder said its beyond their expectation.

will we see the scene where Sunmi get drunk and pour her heart to OG tonight? will we finally get the end of ASN and closure for BJ?

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Anna Tan said:

However, this statement made by SM gave me the idea that SM might have guessed or seen  that she is the one to be sacrificed and she is probably trying to convince OG and herself that GGG will make it easier for him. OG has always been more straightforward and direct in the way he approaches things so we get to see him doing things for her... SM, on the other hand,is the opposite of OG, she thinks deeply about things and she protects OG in her own quiet ways and it is usually not portrayed to us the audience... 

I agree. SM has some prescience now, and I think she feels that she is about to die to save the world. It's something that she has to do, and because she loves OG, she doesn't want him to suffer if she does die.

So, basically, both OG and SM want to protect each other, even from an eventuality of one of them being gone. This is why I really can't see a happy ending for this drama without SM somehow achieving immortality so that the two of them can be together. If it's a case of OG having to wait for SM to reincarnate, that won't make me happy at all.

47 minutes ago, haymochi said:

If they are going to make either of them die then this seperation and noble idiocy is so unnecessary.

i'm just going to think that this sadness will lead them to a happy end.

if not their sacrifice and love for each other meant nothing. Sunmi's life is already so sad.. can i at least see her be happy? Be loved? And have a family of her own?

I totally agree with your sentiment. After all that we've been put through, the only acceptable ending is OG and SM happy together with children, possibly a son who looks just like OG. :)

GGG is not the transporter though its actually the theor contract from ep 1 

“If you extinguish the candles and release me,” he promises, “I can leave and protect you, understand?”

Sun-mi asks for a contract. HA! Oh-gong agrees, and asks what her stipulations are. Sun-mi requests, “Please protect me. I see very frightening monsters.”

He tells her his name, adding, “If you call my name when you’re in trouble, in danger, or scared, I’ll appear and protect you.” He holds out his hand, and they touch palms to seal the deal, whereupon a ball of light rises from his palm.

Cr.dramabeans

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, norakim said:

I feel like the writers have no idea what to do with Bora's character. She has no real purpose now other than being in the background. What was the purpose of her being possessed? She had a better character development when she was Alice and Buja's rival.    

It's as if she was to supposed to have served as comic relief, but she's not very funny, so her role started to stagnate. They tried to play with some gender ending themes, carrying through a similar theme from ASN's possession of BJ where the body is affected by the container. Except in Alice's case, it's a crush on PK.

Not sure if the role stagnation is purely because of the writing of the character or possibly the actress has not been as deft at portraying it and thereby gaining recognition.

6 minutes ago, astrobooy said:

GGG is not the transporter though its actually the theor contract from ep 1

I think SM is aware of that. I think when she held out her hand to show the ggg ring on her finger and wistfully saying that it doesn't transport, she was just stating a wish rather than an expectation that the ggg is the transport. The contract isn't actually the transporter either. The contract calls for OG to go to SM when she calls for him. The transport is because OG is a god already.

5 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

It's as if she was to supposed to have served as comic relief, but she's not very funny, so her role started to stagnate. They tried to play with some gender ending themes, carrying through a similar theme from ASN's possession of BJ where the body is affected by the container. Except in Alice's case, it's a crush on PK.

Not sure if the role stagnation is purely because of the writing of the character or possibly the actress has not been as deft at portraying it and thereby gaining recognition.

I think SM is aware of that. I think when she held out her hand to show the ggg ring on her finger and wistfully saying that it doesn't transport, she was just stating a wish rather than an expectation that the ggg is the transport. The contract isn't actually the transporter either. The contract calls for OG to go to SM when she calls for him. The transport is because OG is a god already.

Agree. The wrtier seems to have no idea what to write about this Alice character... 

from the beginning, she is like a package deal because of Lee seung gi.

the ending might have Sunmi sacrificing herself. But i hope they follow the original to the West where they both can become deities. Maybe thr heaven will be touched by their love in the end. Sunmi isn't some sinner like Nachalyeo so it's likely she can be a goddess too

plesse stop this noble seperation by e 18 please.. what's the point? They need to be a team 

• Like 6
  • LOL 1

Hello everybody, i'm delurking just to make a brief comment on the possible removal GGG. At one point after the non translated broadcast of episode 17, i was a bit annoyed with everybody, so much so that i thought that " Everybody (all the characters excluding sunmi) could just go jump in a lake, for all i care". After further thought and reading some translations, reason prevailed.  :D 

But i just had a light bulb moment. For Sunmi and OG to have a real relationship the GGG had to be removed. i would imagine that most successful romantic relationships have a prerequisite of mutual love, and right now, sunmi has in her head that his love will cease to exist once the GGG is removed. How many of us would be happy to settle into a relationship knowing that your partners love could someday go puff  and disappear with the removal of a GGG?

Quite frankly, the fact that OG's love can survive the removal of the GGG, has not yet been proven in the drama. 

• Like 7

@MsMinnieFran you made a very good point.

Sunmi is still so wary about this relationship esp regarding OG true feelings and the GGG that might caused his death.

so this GGG needs to be removed before the wedding or anything else could happend. OG for sure is so deeply in love with her with or without GGG. Hope this removal with creat an epic moment for our otp :)

and you know what? There will be a new GGG: it will be on his finger too

i saw some pics that MiniGold Ring is actually a pair?

*trying to be positive*

• Like 6
  • LOL 2