[Drama 2017-2018] A Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi 화유기

larus

Okay I just back from family gathering and 1st thing that I do now is write my anger here.... I can't sleep now. I'm frustrating. When I read the comments via email, I was so mad. Why?!?! Oh why?!?!? I wanna hunt Hong Sister right now!!!!!!

then I become more afraid after know the translations of the new ost.... What's that????? So sad... I can see the very bad sad ending through that song....

• Like 1
  • Sad 7

OG's introduction to the human world as the true owner of OJ's worldly assets.

OJ: He will probably choose a human who has serious power.
OG: That means that this time I will have to go up against a human. It means that it will become bothersome.
OJ: Hyung-him, you, other than for Sam Jang, have not dealt with any humans till now.
OG: It can’t be helped. Oh Jeong, I think I will need to be in the human world for awhile.
OJ: I understand what you mean. I will get it prepared. I guess the dried persimmons will need to be frozen again in the freezer. (me: persimmons which are dried so that they become jammier and then frozen to preserve them until meant to be eaten are a real delicacy in Korea.)

(event)
MC: Everyone, may I please have your attention for an announcement. Chairman Yoon Dae Shik who is hosting this event today will now say a few words.
OJ: Everyone must be so busy, I offer you my thanks for attending this event. There is someone that I absolutely must introduce to everyone here. The true owner of this Group that I have led until now has attended this event.
(OG goes up to the stage.)
OJ: I will now make the introductions. This is the true owner of everything that I currently hold in the name of Yoon Dae Shik.

(boardroom - Everyone bows to OG and he sits at the head of the table.)

Headline: M Group’s true owner is not Yoon Dae Shik?
Headline: Mysteriously appearing, has shaken the existing order.
Headline: M Group’s biggest shareholder is a young man.

(car dealership)
Salesman: There is warm air that comes out of here.
OG: Oh, there was such a thing as this. (to OJ) Was it possible to get it in 0505 as well? (to salesman) From this one to the one over there.
Headline: At a car dealership, a 350 million won (~$350,000) shopping spree! Korea’s Mansour? (me: Mansour meaning a sultan.)

Preview translation

OG: The dragon that will appear from here is not of the divine. It’s an evil spirit.
SM: Are you trying to let the world know that Kang Dae Sung is a bad guy?
MW: Does this mean that Son Oh Gong can also escape from the geumganggo?
MW: Did you figure it out? That the Great Sage, Equal to Heaven is planning on dying in your stead?
SM: Even if you don’t tell me, I’m going to find it.
OG: Looking  at her like this, she’s even prettier.

Ohmygosh, it looks as if OG is going to lose the geumganggo in the next episode??? And, he'll know for sure that he's in love for real with SM.

Plus, it looks as if SM is finally going to start figuring things out on her own and take some actions. I can't wait for kick-butt SM to show up. I was a bit leery of watching today's episode, but I am eagerly anticipating tomorrow's, even if it's probably going to end on a massive cliffhanger of some kind. All that I want is for SM and OG to team up together rather than each working on their own. Okay? Please? :)

@YourHighness ., the short preview is a subset of the long preview in terms of snippets of dialogue. Here are the lines that are spoken in the short preview.

OG: The dragon that will appear from here is not of the divine. It’s an evil spirit.
MW: Did you figure it out? That the Great Sage, Equal to Heaven is planning on dying in your stead?
SM: Even if you don’t tell me, I’m going to find it.

Oh I really hate when the main leads break up right before the end for each others' sake. Why you two can't just work together on your problems???
But preview give me hope that they finally will team up together.  I've been waiting for that since 23d December honestly :lol:

• Like 4
  • LOL 5

MW tricks SB to find out about his son. A snippet of conversation between OG and SM.

Ma: No, you can’t!
MW: You?! Secretary Ma.
Ma: I’m sorry.
MW breaks down in tears.
SB: Ma Wang, is she dead?
MW: How could you make me into such a miserable being? I think I’m going to go crazy.
SB: Ma Wang, you can’t be like this.
MW: Why did you deceive me? Why?!
SB: I’m sorry. I had no choice!
MW: I have to kill them. I’m going to kill them! I’m going to kill…!
SB: Your son is alive! Your son is alive.
MW: Really… really…it’s only now that you’re telling the truth. You should have done so sooner. Oh, really. Oh, really.
SB: Ma Wang
MW: Secretary Ma, get up.
Ma: Yes
SB: What’s this?
MW: So my son is alive. Thank you for letting me know. (gets in SB’s face) Now, why you don’t tell me where he is.

SM: I saw Ma Wang cry, so it’s a relief that he wasn’t really crying.
OG: Ma Wang has restrained himself too much trying to become a god. He should have caused a ruckus sooner.
SM: Earlier, that was Ah Sa Nyeo who sent that, wasn’t it? Ah Sa Nyeo is with Kang Dae Sung, isn’t she? What is she doing? Why didn’t you tell me?
OG: Why do you continue to not call me? You were just in danger a moment ago, so why didn’t you call me?
SM: Ma Wang was near me.
OG: Why didn’t you tell me that you had met Kang Dae Sung, and only told General Winter instead?
SM: You’re busy these days.
OG: You’re still too worried that I might get hurt because of you. Because you love me.
SM: What about you? Why are you, unlike yourself, involving yourself in human affairs? You’re trying to do something that a human like me has to do in order to protect me.

3 hours ago, YourHighness . said:

I think they will reconcile, they can't be separated till the finale.

@haymochi Why else would SOG want to remove the GGG? He was so adamant on keeping it on before. It's because he must have come to know that JSM knows the truth and is preparing to die so he wants to prove his love is real. I think the GGG coming off will be the climax of tomorrows episode.

@kjesin can you translate the previews please? I hope JSM is not asking for help from ASN.

I think she is not asking ASN for help, it's more like confronting her?

wonder what is Sunmi looking for? The sword?  :bawling:

my heart... i can't stand this....

Mawang still kinda annoys me, he is such a feeble guy. Now he wants to help SOG so Sunmi will just die instead

this samjang fate is such a curse

• Like 6
  • Sad 2

Secretary Ma cuts SM for some blood. OG talks to ASN.

Ma: Sam Jang, my apologies.

OG: Yo, evil wench. Is it here? The place you say you will call up a dragon?
ASN: How did you know to come here?
OG: Well, it wasn’t that hard. You were found near here, so I looked around.
ASN: Are you here to do away with me?
OG: You must have done something wrong again. (at ASN’s reaction) That’s right. What did you do this time?! Of course. If you answer just because I ask, then you wouldn’t be an evil wench. You kept saying that you would find Ma Wang’s son for him. Did you go and make a son or something? (as ASN’s reaction) Huh? What’s this? You really made one?!
ASN: So what? Are you going to kill me? Are you going to burn me?
OG: No. I’m going to protect you. Since I’m going to safely protect you the way you so desperately wanted…you go ahead and do what you were going to do here for that human Kang Dae Sung.
ASN: Did you know about that person?
OG: Yes. Do you think I left you alone because I didn’t know that you had gone over there? Are you stupid?
ASN: You. What are you going to do with Kang Dae Sung?
OG: What will I do? I’m going to become close to him. You and he are going to happily call a dragon forth together, so I thought I would include myself as well.

Oh dear. Thanks for the spoilers. I am still at ep 13. I watched bits of ep 16 last week. I think it's best for me to just watch this slowlym rather then suffer for ep 17-18.

It sounds too frustrating. And even if I am not a massive CSW ( is that his correct initials? ) I am wondering why an almost 1000 year old powerful demon is so ineffectual. Or so reactive and not clever and cunning. 

In the midst of all this has anyone answered what will happen to Bu Ja in the end?

I am going back to my novels. Currently have about 10 books to finish. KDramas have either been boring or too angsty... have gone back to reading last 2 weeks.

• Like 2

KDS faces OG.

SB: He is alive, but don’t try to get to know him. He’s a child who is alive because of a grave sin. He shouldn’t have lived. If Ma Wang finds him and his background is discovered, the heavens will come to be appear of everything. Whatever they have to do, they will try to get rid of him. You know that well.

Ma: Of the things that Seo Bori has said, those words seem to be the most sincere.
MW: Knowing he’s alive is enough.
Ma: What is it that the Great Sage, Equal to Heaven is trying to do by using Ah Sa Nyeo?
MW: That moron is probably preparing something.

(KDS is congratulated by various people as he walks along a hallway. He stops suddenly at seeing a man who he had killed.)
(Flashback) Man: Professor Kang Dae Sung, I have to try to do something about him. There’s something fishy there, for sure.
(KDS sees the curator who had been killed by ASN before.)
(Flashback) Curator: While you’re making your run, if your family history becomes known, it’ll become a stumbling block.
(KDS sees another man he killed)
(Flashback) Man: This time it’s my turn.
(KDS sees OG who beckons for him to come over.)

Ma Wang confronts the demon wrought by ASN to impersonate his son.

MW: You were the bastard. The one who kept causing me to see strange things. Go!
SM: He’s an evil demon who eats human souls. (at MW’s reaction) What’s wrong?
MW: From this evil demon, I feel an energy similar to mine.
(OG appears to grab the demon by the throat)
MW: Just a second! Don’t get rid of him. There’s something I need to ascertain.
OG: Ma Wang, get a hold of your self.
(OG gets rid of the demon)
MW: I told you to stop!
OG: Come to your senses! There’s no way a thing like that would be Ma Wang’s son! That is something that Ah Sa Nyeo tricked up. What are you going to do if you’re swayed by something like that?!
MW: They made a fool out of me!

(MW goes to SB)
SB: Ma Wang
MW: I can’t allow myself to be deceived any longer. Tell me! What happened to my son? If you don’t tell me, I’ll kill you. Whether you’re a god or whatever, I’ll kill you!
SB: You can’t do this.
MW: Tell me! (SB turns his head away) Fine. I will kill you then.

1 hour ago, stroppyse said:

, the short preview is a subset of the long preview in terms of snippets of dialogue. Here are the lines that are spoken in the short preview.

Ah, so only the scene were different. Thanks for the explanation. :)

58 minutes ago, haymochi said:

I think she is not asking ASN for help, it's more like confronting her?

wonder what is Sunmi looking for? The sword?  :bawling:

my heart... i can't stand this....

Mawang still kinda annoys me, he is such a feeble guy. Now he wants to help SOG so Sunmi will just die instead

this samjang fate is such a curse

Yeah, I think she is trying to find the sword too. :( My poor OTP..such noble idiots but still noble. :lol: I'm not worried though, I am sure we will get a happy ever after.

Mawang, annoys me too. I guess he still wants to eat SJ to fight the heavens if they come to know about his son and tries to kill him? Ugh, just..ugh.

I know, I pity JSM so much. Literally nobody but SOG cares about her. Everyone keeps trying to use and kill her for her powers. :( I just want her to die and become a deity with SOG so she can finally get some happiness.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

MW confronts ASN, then PK who helped her.

MW: Now, the guy who helped you. I can’t just let him live now, can I?
PK: That’s right. The one who fooled around with Ma Wang’s energy beads, that was me.
MW: You foolish kid. How many times are you letting yourself be fooled?
PK: It’s not as if I’m just allowing myself to be fooled without realizing it. It’s just that whenever I see that face, I can’t help but allow myself to be fooled. Since she’s my little sister.
ASN: That’s right. And, in the future, continue to allow yourself to be fooled. (leaves)
PK: What are you going to do now? Are you going to hit me? Are you going to kill me? Do as you want.
(MW grabs PK’s hand and does something, sending black smoke into PK’s hand.)
MW: For the time being, you won’t be able to use your strength. Since I don’t know how you will be fooled and used.
PK: Then my popularity will also fall! Who will gather the energy beads then?
MW: There are plenty of others aside from you. Look around. Even without you, there are many others. New faces even. Get out.
Ma: Don’t do that again. Please leave.
PK: Secretary Ma, don’t do that. It hurts. My body right now is the same as a person’s body. Right now, I’m just a pig.
Ma: So sue me.
PK: Anyway, Ma Wang, I’m sorry. (leaves)
MW: There is such a thing as not being able to help but be fooled.

Poor PK. He can't help but hold on to that thought that BJ is somewhere inside ASN still. And, at least MW understands how loving someone can make one allow things to happen that one knows is a bad idea.

I think that every clip released by tvN for episode 17 has now been translated and posted to the thread. Will be back later with thoughts about episode 17. :)

Last night annoyed the hell out me that  i dreamed Sunmi  and Dog secretary switching soul :crazy:

I always loved the angst in this drama as it's always done right and solved within one episode anyway. Sunmi doing the noble idiocy was expected from her character also i don't really care because OG always outsmart everyone and very persistent with his love

but the words he said to Sunmi last night at the bar was so painful. If he is doing the breaking up then then it feels like the end. So out of character from him...

hope today ep surprised me. I have to take the postive side that Sunmi is back to the fighting survivor  woman she was

• Like 5

Wow, I've been super busy this week, so there is only one game this round, but to make up for that, it's an extra long one. Hope you enjoy making it as crazy and funny as you wish! :wink::D

Hwayugi Funny, Firey Fill-In-the-Blanks, Round 3!

What the Game Is, How To Play, and Example Words:

Spoiler

What it is:

Ever tried to run a piece of Korean text about your beloved drama through Google Translate, and come up with something absolutely absurd? This is a game that mimics that, but you get to create the absurdity. :D

How the game works:

-The game host (for now that's me, Zelda) selects a short piece of text, such as a text preview, song lyrics, or a short scene from the drama, and then prepares a word list for you to fill out without knowing what the short piece of text is about.

-PM your filled out word list to @Zelda with a capital "Z". (Please note: @zelda with a lowercase "z" is a different user.) Submissions are accepted until Tuesday at 22hrs/10pm KST.

-The game host will insert your chosen words into the piece of text, and one to two days later, everyone's custom Fill-In-the-Blanks text will be posted in this thread for us to laugh about together. :D

Word examples:

Get inspiration from Kdrama memes! (Non-Kdrama related words are welcome too!)

Nouns: ajummah, wife, husband, fauxcest, truck, model, snack, subtitles, bowl, episode, extension, shower scenes, bias, military, abs, etc.

Nouns describing a person: ajummah, wife, husband, oppa, noona, omma, appa, halmoni, harubji, second lead, main lead, serial killers, villains, gangsters, teacher, secretary, driver, cook, housekeeper, etc.

Verb: read, want, feel, see, need, experience, watch, face palm, learn, sing, dance, cry, laugh, sleep, snore, tickle, cook, etc.

Adjective: hungry, surprised, amazing, tragic, funny, confusing, passionate, sad, happy, pink, fluffy, etc.

Terms of endearment: Yeobo, Chagiya, Oppa, Dear, etc.

Name a Kdrama celebrity who is not part of this cast: Yoo Seung-ho, Suzy, Park Shin-hye, Ji Sung, etc.

Tag on a reaction phrase for extra laughs! (optional):

Got a great reaction phrase to watching your favorite Kdrama? If the word list asks for a reaction phrase, feel free to write a full sentence or two. Will it match the text or will it not? Enjoy this mini-game of chance! :wink:

Examples:

"No, please don't do this to me!"

"Feeling so hungry. Should I also get a subway?"

"I am in love with Oppa."

"How can there not be a shower scene when Oppa is sad!?"

"Of course, the second lead loves her. That's his job!"

"I want to squeal over the kiss, but my mom is watching the drama with me."

(Feel free to pick from the above examples or come up with your own words!)

Example of a filled in list:

Spoiler

Noun: subtitles
Verb: face palm
Noun (describing a person): secretary
Noun: extension
Noun: husband
Verb: dance
Adjective: passionate
Name a Kdrama celebrity who is not part of this cast: Jang Na-ra
Verb: sing

Reaction phrase (optional): "Feeling so hungry. Should I also get a subway?"

Credit goes to Lmangla for coming up with so many examples and the reaction phrase idea and to the original Mad Libs for inspiring this game.

This week's word list!

Hint: This text works better with short words of one to two syllables, e.g. "bowl" is one syllable and "fluffy" is two syllables (fluff-y), so they fit well, but "passionate" is a long word with three syllables (pas-sio-nate). All word lengths are accepted, though, so feel free to use a word you love even if it's as long as "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious".:wink:

-Experimenting with grouping by word type, since the text is long this time. Please fill out all three lists. Joint submissions are accepted, if you would like to fill out the lists together with another user! :)-

Word List Verbs
Verb1:
Verb2:
Verb3:
Verb4:
Verb5:
Verb6:
Verb7:
Verb8:
Verb9:
Verb10:
Verb11:
Verb12:
Verb13:
Verb14:
Verb15:
Verb16:
Verb17:

Word List Adjectives
Adjective1:
Adjective2:
Adjective3:

Word List Nouns
Noun1:
Noun2:
Noun3:
Noun4:
Noun5:
Noun6:
Noun7:
Noun8:
Noun9:

PM your filled out word list to @Zelda with a capital "Z". (Please note: @zelda with a lowercase "z" is a different user.) Submissions are accepted until Tuesday at 22hrs/10pm KST.

Missed last weekend's game and want to know how it ended? The previous rounds' results can be read here: Round 1, Round 2

Tagging: @stargazer187 @rocat @chunkyung_8690 @Anybody else who wants to join in on the fun! @Lmangla

• Like 5

Thank you for all the recaps and videos. I'm feeling too sad for Sun Mi. She's so good-hearted and trusting but all everyone ever do is use her, keep the truth from her and manipulate her into doing dangerous things. I think I'm going to wait for the subs to come up next week before watching ep 17 & 19.

Btw, Oh Gong saying all those things to Sun Mi just breaks my heart. I know he's trying to protect her, but isn't she is too pitiful now? I mean her situation. :bawling: 

I hope tomorrow's episode will resolve some of our questions although I still think they'll end it with a cliffhanger, again. GGG finally off? Hope when that happens and OG realises his feelings are true, they can finally have a heart-to-heart and put everything on the table. No more secrets, no more noble idiocy, and just work together! I need more sweet, romantic, loving, funny OTP moments. 

• Like 6

OG is slowly moving his chess pieces into place. Only 3 more episodes left.:bawling: Can't wait to see where the story goes. I'm certain it is going to be a happy ending. I just can't predict how it's going to get there. Fingers crossed its good.:grin: I'm totally looking forward to the GGG coming off tomorrow. I think the line where he says, "looking at you like this, you're prettier," in the preview will be said after the GGG is taken off. Can't wait.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, kjesin said:

OG: I'm telling you to not be afraid of calling my name.

SM: SOG, are you really ok with not removing the GGG? I told you I'll remove it. If you just don't have that, you feelings right now will disappear. Then, you won't need to be in danger because of me.

OG: Will they really disappear? All of them? You believe it like that too, aren't you? I believed it too. But I must be crazy. I'm liking you more and more. Even now, as I'm looking at you, you're getting prettier. But, will this all really disappear in just one moment? You really believe that?

SM: It was really sad for me in the past but now I think it's rather a relief. Since it means you can let go of your feelings comfortably.

OG: Right. Later, if I don't come even when you call me, I'm not coming because all my feelings disappeared. I'm gonna be busy for a while. Don't be surprised no matter what I do. I'll be going.

Ok, just want to share something. I haven't watched the actual episode yet, only the snippets posted in the forum, so please forgive me if this doesn't make sense or is not really true. But has it been shown why SOG is breaking up with SM?

I think he wants to make sure SM won't interfere with his plan which could very well end with his death. My take is that he's going to let ASN proceed with her plan to summon the dragon and fight it with everything he has, so that it won't have any chance to possess SM. But how's that going to work if GGG comes off? We all know that he loves SM, but he himself is not sure for now. So he's afraid if SM knows about his plan, she's going to take GGG off. Cue break up.

Nevertheless, the scene I quoted is really scaring me. It's like he's preparing her for an eventuality that he's going to die. He wants SM to believe that when everything is over, and when SM calls him but he didn't come, it's because he didn't love her but actually he can't come because he sacrificed himself. Noooo :bawling:

I really hope SM can take charge in the next few episodes and finally work together with her beloved OG. She's strong, and now with her powers there must be an alternative to either one dying, right? I really really wish so..

But I still don't know what is the end game with KDS though. It seems he has a lot of skeletons in his closet, that he won't want people to know. Evil intentions creates evil spirit? Seems very likely another Akiko(?) will be born.

3 more episodes people! *Sigh* I'm going to miss this :bawling:  Although the good news is maybe I can finally focus fully on work in two weeks time.

Or not. I'm anticipating another kdrama soon. And it's a second season. Lol. Sorry guys. OK I'm going now.

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote videos! Thanks! :)
  • Like 5
  • Sad 2

I'm just really glad MW got over the farce of ASN so quickly. He just believed OG when he was told that it was only a trick and tricked the Buddha into telling him the truth, which is that his son is alive but has to stay hidden (from the other gods) because he only survived because he devoured human souls, which made MW really happy so he put aside his antagnosim against OG and SM real quick too. I was worried they might get into a major fight and try to kill each other in earnest. And now I'm convinced the boy from the shop is in truth MW's son.

I still believe that this show will have a happy ending. Bottom line one of them dies and they are only reunited after reincarnation, like in the other show, I'd be ok with that.

One thing that intrigues me is that in the preview MW seems to have gotten a GGG for the head (like the monkey king has in the original) and fought it for a while before he was able to just take it off and said surprised: can the GGG (of OG) just be taken off like this? I still believe the direction this show is going is that despite OG's feelings having been triggered with GGG, they have long grown independent of it, and whether he loses GGG or not, he will love SM no matter what, and no attempts of her trying to remove it, or maybe even should he discover that he could remove it himself, will lead to him allowing the GGG actually being removed because it's now more a symbol of connection between him and SM.

• Like 8