Quantcast
larus

[Drama 2017-2018] A Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi 화유기

Jonathan and SOG's scene a bit awkward for me..one speaking hangul (very little response) the other telling a story in english..doo they really need to promote his accent?

• Like 4
  • LOL 6

Hwayugi Funny, Firey, Fill-In-the-Blanks, Round 2 Results!

We had a couple of great submissions this round. I hope you all enjoy them!:wub:

@stargazer187:

Episode 14 excerpt:
MW: I endured all 10,000 wedding dresses.
Am I getting married?
OG: Ma Wang? Ma Wang!
MW: The bride is calling me.
Why is it that I hear that nut job’s groom as soon as I get married?
How blessed.
OG: Ma Wang! Ma Wang, open your witch!
I thought you were drunk because you didn’t regain your bed for a while.
MW: I’m Ma Wang. I said I would sleep.
Gamehost commentary:

Spoiler

If you wondered why the wedding dress was in Ma Wang’s room…
ep15_1.png

Episode 6 preview: 
OG: If Sam Jang laughs and loves then the bracelet will also love. Then I won’t care if she laughs or not.
SM: It is the first time that you like a memory because of me.
MW: Anyhow, because of the heart, you can’t let Sam Jang laugh.
OG: I think I will be jealous if you love.
WG: This is the girlfriend to figure out his real banana.
MW: First love…
WG: Isn’t it like…You really want to eat that person’s real wine?

Gamehost commentary:

Spoiler

I can see the scenario now. Chaebol heir Oh Gong is proud and has never been laughed at. In his cold and ruthless world, the only thing he holds dear is a special banana given to him by his late mother. To protect it from thieves, his house is filled with bananas. Hardworking Sam Jang loves to eat banana wine gumdrops, and has heard tales of a wonderful house filled with everything bananas. She gets a job as housekeeper, but is misunderstood as laughing at Oh Gong on their first meeting. However, banana-love prevails, and she eventually becomes his girlfriend who knows the secret of his mother’s banana, and banana wine gumdrops become a precious memory between the Monkey King and his new Queen.
Oy vey, what kind of drama am I writing now..? ^^;

---

@rocat:

Episode 14 excerpt:
MW: I endured all 10,000 slippers.
Am I flipped?
MW: The pinky toe is calling me.
Why is it that I hear that nut job’s safe deposit box as soon as I flip?
How slinking.
OG: Ma Wang! Ma Wang, open your porcupine!
I thought you were mooched because you didn’t regain your window for a while.
MW: I’m Ma Wang. I said I would hang.

Gamehost commentary:

Spoiler

ep1mlslippermeme.png

Episode 6 preview: 
OG: If Sam Jang lounges and fiddles then the bracelet will also fiddle. Then I won’t care if she lounges or not.
SM: It is the first time that you like hair because of me.
MW: Anyhow, because of the mustache, you can’t let Sam Jang lounge.
OG: I think I will be twirling if you fiddle.
WG: This is the sock to figure out his real fur.
WG: Isn’t it like…You really want to vomit that person’s real road?
Gamehost commentary: (Warning: May be poisonous to the eyes.)

Spoiler

The gamehost apologizes for not being able to resist:
ep15mlmustache2.png

(Runs to hide from deservedly being pelted with rotten eggs.)

----

Original texts:

Spoiler

Episode 14 excerpt: Translation thx to The Monkey Minions on VIKI
MW: I endured all 10,000 years of agony.
Am I dead?
MW: The thug is calling me.
Why is it that I hear that nut job’s voice as soon as I die?
How unfortunate.
OG: Ma Wang! Ma Wang, open your eyes!
I thought you were gone because you didn’t regain your consciousness for a while.
MW: I’m Ma Wang. I said I would come back.

Episode 6 preview: Small rearrangement to original translation thx to Bah-doo @V
OG: If Sam Jang dies and disappears then the bracelet will also disappear. Then I won’t care if she dies or not.
SM: It is the first time that you like something because of me.
MW: Anyhow, because of the bracelet, you can’t let Sam Jang die.
OG: I think I will be happy if you disappear.
WG: This is the chance to figure out his real heart.
WG: Isn’t it like…You really want to know that person’s real heart?

Like the game and want to play with your friends outside of Soompi? Here are the game ready texts:

Spoiler

Link to the game instructions and word examples

Episode 14 excerpt:
MW: I endured all 10,000 nouns.
Am I verb1?
MW: The noun is calling me.
Why is it that I hear that nut job’s noun as soon as I verb1 repeats?
How adjective.
OG: Ma Wang! Ma Wang, open your noun!
I thought you were verb because you didn’t regain your noun for a while.
MW: I’m Ma Wang. I said I would verb.

Word list:
Noun:
Verb:
Noun:
Noun:
Adjective:
Noun:
Verb:
Noun:
Verb:

===

Episode 6 preview: 
OG: If Sam Jang verb1 and verb2 then the bracelet will also verb2 repeats. Then I won’t care if she verb1 repeats or not.
SM: It is the first time that you like noun because of me.
MW: Anyhow, because of the noun, you can’t let Sam Jang verb1 repeats.
OG: I think I will be adjective if you verb2 repeats.
WG: This is the noun to figure out his real noun.
WG: Isn’t it like…You really want to verb that person’s real noun?

Word list:
Verb:
Verb:
Noun:
Noun:
Adjective:
Noun:
Noun:
Verb:
Noun:

===

The gamehost admits to having way too much fun with this.:sweatingbullets:

The next game round will be posted this weekend.

Tagging with gratitude: @Lmangla

• Like 2
  • LOL 4

17 minutes ago, kdramafangirl29 said:

Guys!! I'm currently re-watching some of the episodes of Hwayugi and then I remembered this one! Oh my god I hope it's not a foreshadowing :(:(:(

https://goo.gl/zfJRgm

I rmb this scene too! :( wonder if they really sealed it with a contract.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

28 minutes ago, immortal_piglet said:

I rmb this scene too! :( wonder if they really sealed it with a contract.

I think they haven't... but it is scary because there's a sword involved now. :bawling:

Maybe Sam Jang will do something so that Son Oh Gong will stab her.

• Like 3

Episode 15 is epic episode indeed. That shows how good Lee Seung Gi and Oh Yeon Seo's acting. You can feel the creepy Ahn San Yeo in Jin Sun Mi's body. And Son Oh Gong proves that the one who he love is Jin Sun Mi's souls not only the face...

about the baby in episode 16 because he looks like Son Oh Gong, I hope he will be Son Oh Gong and Jin Sun Mi's son. Please let them have their proper first night. I need the hot and passionate kiss in bed please..... 

Remember to Twilight story, Vampire and Human children should be different, not 9 months but faster, the important thing is that baby can kill the human mother, danger. So what will happen with SOG-JSM child??? Will the baby danger JSM's life?

Not understand yet what the doctor said "Samjang's body will receive the evil spirit and then SOG should kill her" I really dunno how this story will go

• Like 7

I have only watched ep 15, but reading recap of ep 16 makes me rather reluctant to watch ep 16. I know this is bad, but it feels like looking at my weekly schedule and realize that I should go to the dentist this week. Perhaps this is the first time I want to postpone watching Hwayugi until NEXT WEEK (ep.18) when the sun shines brighter and there are rainbows and ponies too....ok I sound like a loser but I really reaaaallly hate the idea of SOG (or anyone at all) destined to stab Samjang with that sword. Heaven should have better idea to save the world without killing its own people -and lovebirds, at that!

• Like 10

I have no doubt that OG loves JSM's soul, but I'm pretty sure the reason why he was never tricked by ASN in SM/Buja's body is because of his eye power (allowing him to identify evil no matter what form) which he gained after being burned for 49 days. This really attests to LSG's acting skill imo since CG wasn't used. I'm guessing that SM has yet to unlock his other powers since she is "the key". 

• Like 9

Have you watch episode 16? Are those in whites what they called "deities"? Skygods whatsoever?

sorry. They dont look mighty to me. Haha

i wish TVN have portrayed them as somewhat mighty like the awra being exhibited by Son Oh gong, winter god, summer fairy etc.

if those are the one sitting up there, no wonder the handsome gods are on rebellion. HAHAHAHAHA

• Like 2
  • LOL 9

after seing the drama poster the thought of Samjang is Mawang daughter suddenly coming back to me, father and daughter both love to carry umbrella ... LOL *humoring my self after lingering with sad ending possibility" maybe the dad will rescue her, come to think of this the guardian that killed her self in my opinion is like giving Oh Gong a cue about the Sword and maybe she wants oh gong to find another way to save the world even in a slim chance, the white stroke guardian regretting killing her samjang and have to feel lonely for a very long time, why amongs the gods that cheering for the sword the white stroke guardian come forward to oh gong and tell about everything, ? is it possible that someone told her to, and she willing to do it coz she is being promised that she could end her life ? if Samjang is Mawang Child she is not 100% human, she is like a mix of a goddess with a demon but have a human soul ( the iron fan being punish stealing baby soul to help her child from dying)... LOL again my delusional thoughts and hunger for happy ending strikes :ph34r:.... aaah Haiil Urii Turaiiiiiik Monkey King :grin:

• Like 7

Someone on DB asked why is that the priestess returns to BJ's body instead of finding another alive and healthy human to be possessed. Interesting question which I like to discuss the answer with u all here. 

ASN was once betrayed and locked up for such a long time. She grows a deep heartache of disappointment. So after she waking up, she want revenge, she wants to retrieve everything as she planned before, as to her thought that it was all originally hers. 

Back to the questions, why didn't she find another host to nest her soul. She likes to be loved that she never gets before. The king who promised to marry her end up making her to sleep in that coffin for thousand years. She sees how PK and everyone loves BJ. She desperately wants to possessed SM because of SOG loves her too. Well, her power too. As she ever said to SOG,she can't beat him with only her power so she needs someone like SJ or BJ who are cherished so much by them to let her use their love for her own selfishness. That is why she keeps staying to that rotting corpse. Sighh.. this really make things hard for us to see lovely and kind BJ's back. I want this priestess being ripped and shreds to pieces soon. Why it takes so long for them to get rid of her. <_< I wonder what's she up to this time, making KDS meet with SM. And I do wonder why would she make another king? For what? And why is the heaven realm won't punish her yet?? They keep intervening our OTP and threaten them with that deathly fate, sighhh

And about SM's new ability to crush things whenever she's mad, is that really caused by ASN passed the power on her. I think no, as far as I remember, ASN can't break things. Could it be after ASN possessed her body makes SJ's power unlocked from its seal. Anyway, I like that she has some strength on her own now. 

And for OTP moments.. gahhh 

I can't stop rewind the scenes of the reunion in that dream. Their tears break my heart. Kudos to both LSG and OYS. They're making the scene much heartbreaking and touching. So epic!

I love their quarrel on the bed between 'I'll take the bracelet off for u" and "I don't want it to be taken off". That's just  great even it ended with that crushing bottles. 

Whenever they're hand holding and smiles to each other. Or the part he calm himself while resting his head on her hands.. gahhhh... they deserve happy ending!! Writers don't dare you to separate them or try to make an absurd unhappy plot twists. Dont do that please! I'm counting on you and I'll trust SOG. 

@Zelda thanks for sharing the result texts. I haven't read everything here yet as well. 

• Like 13

Annyeong chingus!

wow, I was gone hiatus for almost 1 year & just got back here & there's a lot of changes :o  Daebak Soompi!

anyways, I must say that I really got hooked on this drama. :wub: well, I admit that I didn't watched it from the day it aired first since I'm still doubtful about the chemistry between LSG & OYS that time (forgive me chingus, please don't throw rocks at me :sweatingbullets:) & I was pretty busy because I'm a graduating student (so many things to do but I'm still surviving :tears:).. BUT then, when I got a free time & decided to watch it last Saturday, they proved me wrong. The acting, the way they deliver their lines, & everything, their chemistry is PERFECT:heart:
I was only lurking here last week & just got back here to be able to interact with you all :) 

So far, we saw a lot of development of each character & the story is getting deeper & deeper to the truth. But I'm not ready for any angst coming though, I'll surely be crying hard :tears:  I just have a theory though, that if OG will stabbed SJ after all, SJ will not totally die but only a 'part' of her will be gone. I know, I'm not totally making sense now, right? Hahahaha! It's just my 2 cents though, I'm just referring it to Harry Potter (who watched HP series? :D I didn't read the books though :sweatingbullets:) that in the end, he sacrificed himself & died in the hands of Voldemort but only a 'part' of him died. So did you remember what the Doc/last SJ said to our present SJ? That she was already a Sam Jang the moment she was born, & her blood smells like lotus flower probably started from the time she met OG & also the power she received from ASN. So in referring to SJ, the 'part' that I mean to be gone will be her lotus flower blood smell & the power she received from ASN & she will return exactly like from the moment she was born & she will live. So that's my 2 cents..lol, I'm not good at analyzing much but that's my theory about SJ's fate.. & about MW's child? I can't be sure though. I guess I'll just leave it to you chingus :D

So I'll try to back read chingus to catch up with you all ^_^ but I can't promise to be here all the time since I still have my 'on the job training' :(:( anyways, Thank you so much chingus & I saw a lot of familiar names here! Annyeong! :D:wub: Can't wait for the preview of the next episode & lots of stills :wub:

• Like 15

@tweets

Thanks for sharing your thoughts it's always interesting to read different opinions.:)

But I still stand at my believe that MW's son is the shop owner's grandson.:wink:

I don't see MW being as a bad as most think him to be. Yup, he is far from being an angel. He is cunning, self-centered and selfish (aren't they all?) but he has a heart and knows how to sympathize, be grateful and even loyal to some degree. In other words he has his morals. But of course the people he loves  his family comes first for him.

No matter what, I think that Heavens are going a bit too far issuing their *punishments* and are a bit hypocritical in it.

So in my opinion, MW is not that rotten to make KDS into his offspring. As well as it would be going a bit too far killing MW's child and reincarnating it as SJ. Nope the child is alive. The baby hasn't died and was not reincarnated, in my opinion, as I've told before.

Also I must disagree that turning KDS or SM into MW's child would be more integral or meaningful to the plot than the option of shop owner's *grandchild*.

Don't you find it even more cruel and ironic putting MW's son right before his eyes so he can meet and interact with the boy, watch him grow without even realizing it's his own child?

Apparently MW had to give up a certain amount of his powers as a deal with Heaven's so now he can't even sense his own flesh & blood. It's just sad.

As for the part

18 hours ago, tweets said:

The grandkid at the shop "could" be MW's kid... I guess? But the funny thing is his mannerisms remind me more of SOG. LOL. 

Nah,  I think the boy  is a real copy of his father just as arrogant and intimidating.:tongue:

2NndsoO.gif9JJCIuU.gif

Do you guys remember the scene when secretary Ma came to the shop to get medicine for MW? She was trying to talk down to the boy taking him for just a teen but that red eyed gaze made her cower in fear with her tail between legs. It's like she instinctively sensed his intimidating aura similar to her master's.

And another scene when MW first brought SM to the shop. He remarked that the boy has grown up a lot since the last time MW saw him. And the uneasy look in the shop owner's eyes. She looked very uncomfortable at MW's simple observation and was trying to avoid his gaze while mumbling some polite response. At that time I realized the boy is not her real grandson, she is just raising him as hers.

• Like 13
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 2

@Zelda 

Thanks for round 2! The images accompanying were so apt. Now I know what you meant about the slippers. :lol:

5 hours ago, corleone said:

Jonathan and SOG's scene a bit awkward for me..one speaking hangul (very little response) the other telling a story in english..doo they really need to promote his accent?

Yes, I thought that scene was odd too. Jonathan wasn’t quite needed cos OG could have heard the story from the white heron...which he did. Does a deity speak all languages? OG looked a bit lost. Keke!

My brain shut down when I saw J’s poofy hair so I don’t recall exactly why he appeared- was it to congratulate OG on the upcoming nuptials? Heh, I subconsciously erased him from the screen I think. 

Edited by Jillia
Please do not post consecutively, edit you previous post instead. Thanks! :)
  • Like 4
  • LOL 6

**Sigh**

Why oh why did OG lie to SM by telling her " the doctor having been a guardian to a previous Sam-jang, they did such a good job fulfilling their mission that they became immortals and are living happily ever after. " (like she's some child who can't bear the truth). He apparently didn't learn from with holding the truth about the death bell -_-.

She willingly went into the coffin because she thought it would save OG. With her compassionate nature we can image what she'll do when she learns that getting stabbed will save the world from the great demon on the way that will over take her body.

Anyway I have a question, in episode 15 when Han-joo and his kids were visiting and Han-byul took the tablet to watch the interview with Kang Dae-sung, did ASN go into Han-byul's body to look at Kang Dae-sung (both bodies, SM and Han-byul, seem to freeze for a few seconds)?

Quotes from dramabeans

• Like 6

4 hours ago, kdramafangirl29 said:

I think they haven't... but it is scary because there's a sword involved now. :bawling:

Maybe Sam Jang will do something so that Son Oh Gong will stab her.

Noble idiocy like pretending to be with kang dae sung so he will stab her?

i hateeeeee this so muuuch

1 hour ago, balletgoddess said:

**Sigh**

Why oh why did OG lie to SM by telling her " the doctor having been a guardian to a previous Sam-jang, they did such a good job fulfilling their mission that they became immortals and are living happily ever after. " (like she's some child who can't bear the truth). He apparently didn't learn from with holding the truth about the death bell -_-.

She willingly went into the coffin because she thought it would save OG. With her compassionate nature we can image what she'll do when she learns that getting stabbed will save the world from the great demon on the way that will over take her body.

Anyway I have a question, in episode 15 when Han-joo and his kids were visiting and Han-byul took the tablet to watch the interview with Kang Dae-sung, did ASN go into Han-byul's body to look at Kang Dae-sung (both bodies, SM and Han-byul, seem to freeze for a few seconds)?

Quotes from dramabeans

He should have told her the truth. He really treats her so preciously that he always try to hide the painful fact.

Sunmi now can foresee the future you know. What if she sees what supposed to happen like OG dying? She will try to prevent it

one more thing. When OG told Sunmi that the two became deities... she remembered the doctor's facial expression. I think she knows

Edited by Jillia
Please do not post consecutively, edit you previous post instead. Thanks! :)
  • Like 6
  • Sad 3

Okay, for a more light-hearted scene from Episode 16, I thought it was really funny when SM was reading the text message from ASN to the group chat room, asking that someone tell her where OG was, or to at least let OG know where she was. SM is upset reading the message from ASN blatantly asking to see OG, but her anger manifests itself as a gust of wind this time as she calls ASN a bad name. So, her assistant Han Joo asks "The wind...where did it suddenly come blowing from?" This serves to rile up SM further as she repeats "wind" and suddenly stands up. LOL. So, the word "wind" is also the word meaning to have an affair. SM is clearly still upset with ASN trying to get her Monkey King, not to mention the way that OG had to "feed" ASN the medicine to get her to sleep.

She eventually sits back down saying that she doesn't need to go anywhere and they should get back to work, but I had to laugh a bit at SM's jealousy, despite OG's previous reassurances that ASN held no attraction for him. She is correctly furious at ASN who wants her Monkey.

Another scene that was funny was how ASN tried to claim that she had eaten something dangerous while inhabiting SM's body, but OG wasn't falling for it at all. He listed off all the things that she had eaten while she was in SM's body, sneering that he had been keeping an eye on her, and that ASN was clearly not aware of Yuk Gong (the stuffed monkey in SM's office). So, now we have proof that the stuffed monkeys do serve as extensions of himself as he wishes them to.

Of course, there was a lot of things in episode 16 that causes anxiety, including that SM and OG still have to figure out their way out of this one must kill the other conundrum. However, there were some of these lighter moments, in addition to the scenes with the baby who is such a charmer, that provided some relief from the relentless anxiety.

Can't even imagine what's coming next. However, @juju84, I'm in the camp of thinking that the shopkeeper's grandson may be MW's son as well.

And, finally, BJ's body at least has eaten human flesh. I don't think she can last long in the world without being a monster, even if she is able to come back to herself. I was wondering why she wasn't able to return to her body when ASN had left to inhabit SM's actually. Still, I hope that BJ is able to come back, even if it's just to say goodbye to everyone, especially PK.

• Like 13
  • LOL 2

8 hours ago, corleone said:

I'm lol-ing at that scene while thinking "does   our monkey  even understand what Jonathan  is blabbering about ?"

maybe he heard the word " baby Sunmi" then he goes " ahaaaaa!!":tongue:

@stroppyse Sunmi has turned into queen of jealousy. She can be quite petty sometimes esp when she got jealous over little Hanbyul's words  lol:tongue:.

In the drama world it's so sweet with what OG did but in real life isn't it a bit creepy when your bf loves you so much so he keeps putting someone to spy on you haha... to the extend of knowing what you eat, who you meet with, and if there's any other man near you, yookgong will aware him ..

that's our monkey style of protecting his girl

as for Buja, poor girl ASN has already used her body to eat humans in order to retain the body. I hope she will at least regain her conciousness for a moment and meet her mother

• Like 3
  • LOL 4

1 hour ago, stroppyse said:

Okay, for a more light-hearted scene from Episode 16, I thought it was really funny when SM was reading the text message from ASN to the group chat room, asking that someone tell her where OG was, or to at least let OG know where she was. SM is upset reading the message from ASN blatantly asking to see OG, but her anger manifests itself as a gust of wind this time as she calls ASN a bad name. So, her assistant Han Joo asks "The wind...where did it suddenly come blowing from?" This serves to rile up SM further as she repeats "wind" and suddenly stands up. LOL. So, the word "wind" is also the word meaning to have an affair. SM is clearly still upset with ASN trying to get her Monkey King, not to mention the way that OG had to "feed" ASN the medicine to get her to sleep.

She eventually sits back down saying that she doesn't need to go anywhere and they should get back to work, but I had to laugh a bit at SM's jealousy, despite OG's previous reassurances that ASN held no attraction for him. She is correctly furious at ASN who wants her Monkey.

Another scene that was funny was how ASN tried to claim that she had eaten something dangerous while inhabiting SM's body, but OG wasn't falling for it at all. He listed off all the things that she had eaten while she was in SM's body, sneering that he had been keeping an eye on her, and that ASN was clearly not aware of Yuk Gong (the stuffed monkey in SM's office). So, now we have proof that the stuffed monkeys do serve as extensions of himself as he wishes them to.

Of course, there was a lot of things in episode 16 that causes anxiety, including that SM and OG still have to figure out their way out of this one must kill the other conundrum. However, there were some of these lighter moments, in addition to the scenes with the baby who is such a charmer, that provided some relief from the relentless anxiety.

Can't even imagine what's coming next. However, @juju84, I'm in the camp of thinking that the shopkeeper's grandson may be MW's son as well.

And, finally, BJ's body at least has eaten human flesh. I don't think she can last long in the world without being a monster, even if she is able to come back to herself. I was wondering why she wasn't able to return to her body when ASN had left to inhabit SM's actually. Still, I hope that BJ is able to come back, even if it's just to say goodbye to everyone, especially PK.

I also LOVED how many times SOG had to tell everyone it was NOT his baby!!!:D And, I lean more towards the shopkeeper's grandson being MW's son.

• Like 6
  • LOL 5