[Drama 2017-2018] A Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi 화유기

larus

22 minutes ago, aprilx said:

Thank you! I found the post that suggested it might be a male. But if it's still open as to whether it's son/daughter it'll be interesting how this plotline develops.

At first when I read that MW's child is a son my immediate thought is ASN will mislead MW into thinking that the Candidate/Kang Dae-sung is his son so that MW will help him. Part of her twisted plan to create havoc for the world! 

It also finally made sense to me why MW didn't go searching for his child.. If he has been made to believe he/she is dead. 

Strange also that the previous protector to previous SJ is only introduced now. Why only now? And if she's immortal & protector, I hope she's not just a messenger now but will be useful character. Oh dear writers, please don't introduce characters just for the sake of getting different actors/actresses in! 

:wacko::huh:

This came to me just: ASN's reason for taking over SJM's body was cos BJ's a zombie and she can't have her full power as the priestess. Of course she also desires SOG but she's a priestess with bad intentions. Yet her first few tasks after taking over SJM's body was to seduce SOG and to go shopping. Ermmm... Can't really figure her out!! 

I think your idea about ASN telling MW the Candidate is his obviously reborn child makes sense whether or not the child is a boy or a girl. MW has proved time and time again he is ripe for conning when it comes to anything associated with Nachal. Honestly, every one of these monsters and demi-gods have shown themselves to be this way, but in MW's case, his actions tend to kickstart larger story actions. Sending SM into OG's mystical prison... giving SM the GGG... awakening ASN, then agreeing to ASN's plan, etc. Since this seems to be the purpose of his story, it makes a scary sense to have ASN convince MW the Candidate is his in order to raise her dragon and crown her chosen king with relative breathing room. 

The sudden appearance of the protector might be linked to the sword we see in the preview. Perhaps the sword's appearance is a sign to this still living Sam Jang protector that another Sam Jang has been called and the protector wants to impart some wisdom?  Whatever the case, I am interested in knowing about what it all entails and how deep Heavens' games go. 

LOL, over ASN's priorities.  Let's keep in mind she also changed BJ's wardrobe, hair and makeup as soon as possible, too.  She is a consummate fashionista. I would imagine being able to enchant and possess souls, yet never have the real love and real devotion would be quite frustrating for ASN. Might explain why she's obsessed with having OG - he's powerful, bound to love the GGG owner and has shown himself to be quite devoted. I guess I can't blame her for wanting to seduce OG... oh wait, I can because it was gross. The chemistry is real, don't get me wrong, but all enjoyment was doused seeing OG's stifled reactions. Our poor monkey was tortured, scared, angry and full of loathing; he hated every moment so much. What was delicious was his palpable longing and fear for JSM. LSG and OYS really played so well against each other as they bounced from enemies to lovers.  Fantastic work! 

Maintaining a zombie body is hard work, I know I forgot how many energy balls it took just to keep BJ this side of functional, let alone lively and energetic. ASN was apparently using a lot of her might to do that on her own and still had to supplement by eating living flesh in order to maintain even a tenth of her powers.  No wonder she felt unleashed in SM's body only to discover that being a modern human with obligations is also quite energy draining, :lol: , if in a different sense. Maybe it's just me but I thought we saw ASN fully relaxed; she thought she had won, discovering OG knew she wasn't SM was a setback but she still felt she had the upperhand as she demonstrated in the glass bottle scene.  Brilliant, brilliant scene by the way.  It really illustrated how she is, despite her protests, very much like the bookseller - a very evil spirit.  Playing with lives, moving souls around like game pieces, it was really quite sick. This and dragon-raising/crowning a king is her nature. 

• Like 12

Drumrollllllll.......

Hwayugi Funny, Firey Fill-In-the-Blanks, Round 2!

What the Game Is And How To Play:

Spoiler

What it is:

Ever tried to run a piece of Korean text about your beloved drama through Google Translate, and come up with something absolutely absurd? This is a game that mimics that, but you get to create the absurdity. :D

How the game works:

-The game host (for now that's me, Zelda) selects a short piece of text, such as a text preview, song lyrics, or a short scene from the drama, and then prepares a word list for you to fill out without knowing what the short piece of text is about.

-PM your filled out word list to @Zelda with a capital "Z". (Please note: @zelda with a lowercase "z" is a different user.) Submissions are accepted until Tuesday at 22hrs/10pm KST.

-The game host will insert your chosen words into the piece of text, and one to two days later, everyone's custom Fill-In-the-Blanks text will be posted in this thread for us to laugh about together. :D

Word examples:

Get inspiration from Kdrama memes! (Non-Kdrama related words are welcome too!)

Nouns: ajummah, wife, husband, fauxcest, truck, model, snack, subtitles, bowl, episode, extension, shower scenes, bias, military, abs, etc.

Nouns describing a person: ajummah, wife, husband, oppa, noona, omma, appa, halmoni, harubji, second lead, main lead, serial killers, villains, gangsters, teacher, secretary, driver, cook, housekeeper, etc.

Verb: read, want, feel, see, need, experience, watch, face palm, learn, sing, dance, cry, laugh, sleep, snore, tickle, cook, etc.

Adjective: hungry, surprised, amazing, tragic, funny, confusing, passionate, sad, happy, pink, fluffy, etc.

Terms of endearment: Yeobo, Chagiya, Oppa, Dear, etc.

Name a Kdrama celebrity who is not part of this cast: Yoo Seung-ho, Suzy, Park Shin-hye, Ji Sung, etc.

Tag on a reaction phrase for extra laughs! (optional):

Got a great reaction phrase to watching your favorite Kdrama? If the word list asks for a reaction phrase, feel free to write a full sentence or two. Will it match the text or will it not? Enjoy this mini-game of chance! :wink:

Examples:

"No, please don't do this to me!"

"Feeling so hungry. Should I also get a subway?"

"I am in love with Oppa."

"How can there not be a shower scene when Oppa is sad!?"

"Of course, the second lead loves her. That's his job!"

"I want to squeal over the kiss, but my mom is watching the drama with me."

(Feel free to pick from the above examples or come up with your own words!)

Example of a filled in list:

Spoiler

Noun: subtitles
Verb: face palm
Noun (describing a person): secretary
Noun: extension
Noun: husband
Verb: dance
Adjective: passionate
Name a Kdrama celebrity who is not part of this cast: Jang Na-ra
Verb: sing

Reaction phrase (optional): "Feeling so hungry. Should I also get a subway?"

Credit goes to Lmangla for coming up with so many examples and the reaction phrase idea and to the original Mad Libs for inspiring this game.

Without further ado, this week's word lists!

(Feel free to fill out both lists or to only pick one!)

List 1

Noun:
Verb:
Noun:
Noun:
Adjective:
Noun:
Verb:
Noun:
Verb:

List 2 

Verb:
Verb:
Noun:
Noun:
Adjective:
Noun:
Noun:
Verb:
Noun:

PM your filled out word list to @Zelda with a capital "Z". (Please note: @zelda with a lowercase "z" is a different user.) Submissions are accepted until Tuesday at 22hrs/10pm KST.

Missed last weekend's game and want to know how it ended? The Round 1 Results can be read Here.

Tagging: @stargazer187 @rocat @chunkyung_8690 @Anybody else who wants to join in on the fun! @Lmangla

• Like 9

4 hours ago, maria_m2me said:

ASN got the kiss in the bed.... But I need that kind of hot kiss in bed between SOG and JSM

Heol !!..... and that was a forced kiss.

Well well..  where is that Chill Gong brother when we need him... can't he pretend the kiss instead of OG.

I love OhYeonSeo's acting, superb! When ASN said: "Nega Samjang-iya.."!!    - yes she is :D

• Like 13

So... anyone placing bets on who stops SM from removing the bracelet this time? :)

And then who is the sword for? 

Funny thing to add... with Korean dramas, the first lead male and/or female only kiss the people they will end up with. So I had this in my head going into ep 15 with all the excitement over the still pics and glimpse of a bed scene. And uh, yeah. was thinking that it was not likely that anything would happen between OG and AS in this episode. 

Was gratified to see OG was faithful and apparently the GGG did not work OR AS didn't know how to use it in order to command him to do anything for her. And based on the last 2-3 episodes, "marriage" and "wedding" seemed to be a euphemism for doing it.... and she was kinda chasing him through 1/2 the episode and about insisting on sleeping with him.... 

Still was a funny thing in that they broke that "only kiss the one true love" trope with OG kissing AS in this episode. Then again, maybe they didn't since it was still SM's body.... :D 

Also, maybe the writers made a mistake and/or this episode was intended to show that GGG isn't actually compelling the wearer to be madly in love with the other person (ie that the GGG is just sharpening the existing emotions of the wearer). Since he was revolted by AS in SM's body. And you could tell that he loathed her touch in this episode - which is a far cry from his thing about finding everything about SM to be beautiful because he loves her because of GGG.

• Like 8

The scene where summer fairy disappears is absolutely heart breaking.. the tears in frosty’s eyes.. when he called out to her.. when she hugged him :’( 

U can also see the sadness in OG’s eyes. He is afterall on very good terms with summer fairy, frequently visiting the bar even though he couldn’t drink alcohol. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 5

Wow! There is so much on this thread that I have to go back and read!

I didn't do any rage screaming today, though i should have when the gods let ASY escape yet again. I will forgive it though if ASY is finally gone after tomorrow.

Here are my guesses as to who the baby is:

1. Seon-mi

2. The devil high school kid from the shop

3. The candidate

4. Jonathan (mwah ha ha ha)

5. Some random person we haven't met yet.

I think it would be the best if Seon-mi was the baby. That would provide the most stakes and WTF moments. Can you imagine how hilarious it would be if OG was in love with MW's child? I am laughing just thinking about it.

• Like 4
  • LOL 15

I hope sunmi is the baby too so it will teach Mawang some lessons. He is so easily swayed. He should have listened to his loyal secretary tsk

the chemistry btw SOG and JSM is just so pure and sweet. He treats her so preciously but i have to admit SOG and ASN in JSM body  chemistry is so hot ...... 

i wonder when can we get their wedding? Is the wedding dress that Sec Ma showed to ASN the same as the one that Oh Yeon Seo's wearing on her Weibo update?

• Like 13

Scene translation of the confrontation between OG and General Frost.

Winter: Great Sage, Equal to Heaven, sir.
OG: The incense burner, give it to me.
Winter: I can’t give it to you.
OG: GENERAL WINTER!!
Winter: Sam Jang has a fate which could kill the Great Sage, Equal to Heaven. Removing the incense burner is not betraying the Great Sage, Equal to Heaven.
OG: SAM JANG! is the person who will become my bride. I have to have that incense burner in order to find my bride and bring her back.
Winter: Please don’t come (closer). I also have to protect my sister’s soul. (starts to freeze everything)
OG: (striking Winter) I… didn’t want to kill General Winter.
(Winter starts freezing again when Summer Fairy appears.)
Summer: Please stop now, brother.
Winter: You must not use your strength. You can’t waste it like this.
Summer: Brother. (hugs him)
Winter: You can’t. Don’t hug me. Return to me.
(Summer Fairy melts General Winter’s freeze.)
Winter: You can’t do this!
Summer: I should have disappeared a long time ago.

As a number of people have mentioned, a furious OG is totally hot, especially when he's so passionate about SM.

However, this scene is more about the brother General Winter and his sister Summer Fairy. Winter is telling his sister not to use her energy to apparate rather than sharing his corporeal body. She then uses more energy to warm up her brother and undo his freezing. And, it does seem to a goodbye from Summer to Winter with the comment that she should have disappeared long ago. I'm going to miss the Summer Fairy.

A subbed preview from YT. If you click on the CC on the bottom of the video, the subs that this user put will show up. They're mostly right. I also did a quick translation of the preview as well under the video.

OG: After talking as she did when she entered Sam Jang’s body, she chose that human.
BJ/ASN: What I am, are you able to believe it a little now?
OG: You’re saying that Ma Wang has let you go?
MW: Are you sure that she’s dead?
Woman: This is the sword to be used on that day.
OG: Is that it?
SB: It’s not time for it to be going into those hands yet!
Woman (Iron Fan?): You shouldn’t become like me.
OG: Just what your start is, let’s go and hear it.

I think MW is asking about whether his child is alive or not, though I also wondered if he was asking about Iron Fan since it looks like her who faces OG and tells him not to be like her? As with all of the previews for Hwayugi, this one is confusing and can be interpreted in multiple ways also. :)

Anyway, just popped in out of curiosity. I'll be back later with comments for the episode. The bed scene wasn't quite what I had hoped for, but I was actually okay with it. OYS did a good job being ASN as well as SM.

5 hours ago, theseasasleep said:

I think your idea about ASN telling MW the Candidate is his obviously reborn child makes sense whether or not the child is a boy or a girl. MW has proved time and time again he is ripe for conning when it comes to anything associated with Nachal. Honestly, every one of these monsters and demi-gods have shown themselves to be this way, but in MW's case, his actions tend to kickstart larger story actions. Sending SM into OG's mystical prison... giving SM the GGG... awakening ASN, then agreeing to ASN's plan, etc. Since this seems to be the purpose of his story, it makes a scary sense to have ASN convince MW the Candidate is his in order to raise her dragon and crown her chosen king with relative breathing room. 

The sudden appearance of the protector might be linked to the sword we see in the preview. Perhaps the sword's appearance is a sign to this still living Sam Jang protector that another Sam Jang has been called and the protector wants to impart some wisdom?  Whatever the case, I am interested in knowing about what it all entails and how deep Heavens' games go. 

LOL, over ASN's priorities.  Let's keep in mind she also changed BJ's wardrobe, hair and makeup as soon as possible, too.  She is a consummate fashionista. I would imagine being able to enchant and possess souls, yet never have the real love and real devotion would be quite frustrating for ASN. Might explain why she's obsessed with having OG - he's powerful, bound to love the GGG owner and has shown himself to be quite devoted. I guess I can't blame her for wanting to seduce OG... oh wait, I can because it was gross. The chemistry is real, don't get me wrong, but all enjoyment was doused seeing OG's stifled reactions. Our poor monkey was tortured, scared, angry and full of loathing; he hated every moment so much. What was delicious was his palpable longing and fear for JSM. LSG and OYS really played so well against each other as they bounced from enemies to lovers.  Fantastic work! 

Maintaining a zombie body is hard work, I know I forgot how many energy balls it took just to keep BJ this side of functional, let alone lively and energetic. ASN was apparently using a lot of her might to do that on her own and still had to supplement by eating living flesh in order to maintain even a tenth of her powers.  No wonder she felt unleashed in SM's body only to discover that being a modern human with obligations is also quite energy draining, :lol: , if in a different sense. Maybe it's just me but I thought we saw ASN fully relaxed; she thought she had won, discovering OG knew she wasn't SM was a setback but she still felt she had the upperhand as she demonstrated in the glass bottle scene.  Brilliant, brilliant scene by the way.  It really illustrated how she is, despite her protests, very much like the bookseller - a very evil spirit.  Playing with lives, moving souls around like game pieces, it was really quite sick. This and dragon-raising/crowning a king is her nature. 

Thanks! Great discussion points there! Yes - my sentiments exactly. MW has been the one setting things in motion so I won't be surprised if he does so this time. Yet I am also hoping he would have learnt his lesson from the previous time (EP 13)  .. He needs to see his own weakness which is so easily manipulated and appreciate the loyalty of his friends. 

Some of blame belongs to the Spiritual Realm and all the games they play. It seems so far everyone's been played and been used as pawns. Reminds me of the line from Shakespeare: 

As flies to wanton boys are we to th' gods,
They kill us for their sport.

King Lear Act 4, scene 1, 32–37

No wonder no one can trust the plans of the gods. 

And at ASN's priorities - totally get what you say and agree! lol. Just that if I'm her and in a body that'd give me my full powers I'll find a place to hide out first instead of strutting around buying new clothes and hanging around monsters who want me out. She was really over confident about her plans succeeding!

Question: while she's in SJM's body and while SJM is in the sarcophagus, why is BJ asleep? If BJ didn't return does that mean she's gone?

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, ShannonK said:

People in Korea celebrate the Lunar New Year for 3 days, which this year runs from Feb 15 - Feb 17.
Many people travel to their hometowns, visit family... so they are less likely to watch TV. 

Yea, I've been celebrating it too, but I think misty's ratings went up... .-.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

Well we can't do anything about it. It's hard to compete with the winter Olympics. 

This time.. KOREA WON GOLD AND BRONZE. 

20-20:21 kst.. it's hard to build up a rating with that competition and given 30-40 viewers were the strength of this drama. They prefer to watch the Olympics. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Another excellent episode! I loved it more than I thought I would. The chemistry between LSG and OYS is just so bled1-onion-head-emoticon.gif?1292862492

When MW decided to betray OG again, I wasn't even that surprised nah-crazy-rabbit-emoticon.gif?1292793775

I get he wants to know where his child is but still (ノಥ益ಥ)ノ ┻━┻ the frustration. Did we not learn anything from Summer Fairy's sad demise? 

• Like 3
  • LOL 2