Quantcast

[Drama 2017-2018] A Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi 화유기

3 minutes ago, cleoLsg said:

@deanne3004 mawang’s child is a boy and reborn everylife time wth nachanyeo to be killed . so no samjang is not their kid . but i wonder whats the deal with sunmi’s monk

ancestry ? i want them to come and save her and guide her .or anyone really . we have only 3 weeks left and samjang most of have the least idea about doomsday and how to prevent it .  she needs guidance and power to save the world. heaven need to do something about that . 

and one of my twitter mutuals shared this awesome fan video in bilibili.com they have the best hwayugi fanvids i’ve seen so far . if anyone is having a hard time waiting till saturday can check it out . 

https://m.bilibili.com/video/av19610717.html

Ahhh, I see. Thnks for explaination.

Yes, I also hoping someone besides SOG to help her. Or maybe she can get some powers. 

• Like 5
  • Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

YEEEEEEEESSSS  - Son Oh Gong finally holds his bride in his arms once again (a bride who is wearing a royal wedding dress). Judging from OG's scarf this scene will follow the confrontation with the Wi

It took the Hong Sisters 13 long years to write a bed scene but they managed to  do it right on their first try. I might have issues with their writing in this show but this whole moment was FREAKING

Oh no.. with everyone hating on the ending, i think i wanna step out to defend it a little. initially without the subtitles, the ending seemed like a whole mess. But if u really just focus on our OTP

Posted Images

I didn’t have the luxury of time to rewatch the initial episodes.. but instead i read all of dramabeans’ recap of the show. And now i have a burning question which needs to be answered!!

that is, what truly made OG fall in love deeply with JSM?

i totally get how JSM fell in love with OG. She’s a naturally soft hearted person who is lonely. So once she was showered with so much love from OG, she felt moved and slowly had romantic feelings for our dear monkey.

But what about OG? The first few eps had him yelling about how he wants to eat her (and cry at the thought of it), hating the bracelet. Did he fall in love with JSM because he started to feel confused about his own feelings? Because the magically induced love started to feel real? But why would it even feel real, when all JSM did is put on the bracelet, continuously rejecting him to protect her own heart, and... asking him to go away?

The relationship just felt a bit too one-sided. I get that OG has always been intrigued the moment he met adult JSM, but what would truly attract him to her once the bracelet has been taken off?

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, kjesin said:

Sorry, this is gonna be a long post.

I'm currently rewatching Hwayugi from the start, I've watched those so many times, but this time, I suddenly noticed something. People say that SM doesn't have character development despite being the main character, or that she's weak and gloomy. But the thing is, she too has a character development. It's just that her development isn't obvious like OG, who became a better person because of her. First of all, SM DOESN'T NEED TO BECOME A BETTER PERSON COZ SHE'S ALREADY THE BEST FROM THE START. She seems weak but SHE'S A HUMAN SO OF COURSE SHE CANT BEAT THE DEMONS AND SPIRITS. But she is definitely not a typical female lead.

In a normal human world, she can definitely protect herself. Despite being a loner all her life, she has a successful business, a nice home and she doesn't hate herself or blames herself for everything. Even though she knew her relatives were using her, she let them coz they're the only family she had. She was hated and avoided all her life but she doesn't blame them and still wants to save everyone. She's an angel that the world and even heaven doesn't deserve. Such and angel doesn't need a character development to become a better person because she's already the best kind of person.

Or suddenly have powers to protect herself so she doesn't seem weak?? Why would she need that?? She is not a weak person. She has protected herself just fine before OG came. But now, the ones she's facing are no longer small spirits. They are the spirits she's trying to get rid of for MW so that he can gain points. And the reason MW made her do that from the start was because she has OG. She doesn't need to be able to protect herself from everything. If she could, she wouldn't need OG. Just because she can't protect herself from those spirits, doesn't mean she's weak. By a normal drama standard, she's a strong independent woman and a whole lot better than most, if not all, of the female leads in kdramas.

When she was a kid, OG told her that when she's having a hard time or scared or in danger, call his name and he will come to protect her anytime. She believed it and waited for him all her life even though he ran away that time. Why? Because he's probably the first and only one to say something like that to her (except, maybe her grandma?). No one has ever told her they'll protect her so of course she would want to believe the first person who has said that to her. Despite all the negativity in her life, she's still an innocent and hopeful girl. Even now, OG is still the only one protecting her. But innocent doesn't mean she's stupid. Remember the time OG said he'd kill her if she called his name wrong? She immediately admitted that she was lying. Because you don't mess with a powerful demon like OG, unless you're really stupid and want to die. She didn't know the contract prevented him from being able to kill her then.

About her not admitting her feelings to OG, I totally understand her. I don't know why people blame her for that. OG was gonna kill her as soon as she takes off the GGG and he has already told her countless times that his feelings weren't real before. Despite all that, she still fall for him but of course she wouldn't want to admit those feelings. But now she has accepted it and even told OG. That is really brave. She's even willing to die for him now. Isn't that enough??

Character development?? Yes, there is some kind of a development. During the early episodes, she was a really odd and cold person. She had no one and she didn't smile much or talked much with other people unless it's necessary. You can see from the relationship she had with her one and only employee. Before, she didn't talk to HJ much and HJ didn't dare to talk to her either. Taking care of HJ's children. Asking him advice about marriage and many other things. These things happened only after she met OG. She's not as scary as before. She smiles a lot. She daydreams. She's starting to act like a normal woman in love. She acts cute for OG. Got jealous. Throw tantrum. More expressive. Becomes more cheery. And starts to open up more. She's not lonely anymore. She's happy. She's more human than ever. Because now she has OG. She has someone who is always by her side. Someone who protects her and she wants to protect. If that is not the best kind of development for her, I don't know what is.

I wanted to defend SM because I love her and OYS. She's doing a brilliant job as SM. No one else can replace her as JSM just like no one else can replace LSG as OG. Unlike other dramas, this drama doesn't get boring in the middle or later episodes, and trust me, I've been watching kdramas for more than a decade to the point I can now understand them without subtitles. This isn't the first time I got obsessed with a drama but this is the first time I can't predict anything, get stressed and cried out (actual tears, not crying inside), don't lose interest and still watch all the episodes again and again and again and still loves them every time. Normally, I would be interested in any other new dramas by now but with Hwayugi, I can't watch anything else anymore. Nothing else interests me. This drama with the best story line, the best OSTs, the best casts and the best characters, I don't know why it's getting more popular. This is better than Goblin or MDBC, and those two were the only dramas I looked forward to every week till the last episode, but still got a bit bored in later episodes. Except those two, I have never watched the last episodes of the dramas I got obsessed. I mostly lost interest and move on to newer ones and just find out from articles how they ended later. With Hwayugi though, even for me, it's a new kind of obsession. I check this forum everyday whenever I'm free, write a lot and interact with others which is the first time for me, honestly.

Quoting you... second on your opinion. So true. I am obsessed over this one. Love their characters, narratives and boy.... clever adaptation. The romance is honest to the bone and in critical scenes like 50 jealous with Jonathan in the parking lot where then he argues with JSM and then when they're equally upset JSM became 'ordinary' the emotion play were so solid they still give me shivers. And this 15 is def going to be a strong episode. We will see a vulnerable 50 ge loves SM so dearly 

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

@kjesin

I can't imagine anyone who is watching the show seriously can really say that there's been no character development for JSM at all. Unless they don't quite understand what "character development" means I can only speculate that what those critics are saying is that they don't particularly like the direction the character is being taken in or how she's being used in the show. And if that's the case, honestly, I have to say, I have some sympathy for that position.

*Holding out arms defensively for incoming tomatoes*

I enjoy this show a lot and have a great time with it each week. But the one thing that frustrates me about the show is the way SM is written. Because she's understandably navigating her role as Samjang while trying to lead the life of a human being, it isn't easy to get the balance right. But lately... I dunno... it seems like the writers are deliberately throwing her to the wolves in order to achieve certain outcomes. And from my perspective it doesn't really do the character justice.

My biggest beef with SM's character development is that while she's opened up emotionally, she seems to have lost all her previous savvy. It seemed to me that when the whole world was against her, when she was a lot more closed off, she was at least a sharp operator. Even without the protection of Mr Fairy, she was able to build a life for herself using her inside knowledge about spirits and haunted buildings. Sure she was lonely but she was also very much a survivor.

The positive part of her development that I especially appreciate is that she's come to trust SOG and accept that she can have some kind of relationship with him even if it isn't 100% within her expectations. It's a big step and one that I had personally rooted for.

BUT it doesn't mean she should be quick to trust every single supernatural being out there particularly MW who already has made decisions not just once that has put in her jeopardy. With OG, at least she has the geumganggo as a safety net. With the others, she has no control over their decisions as we've seen with the friendly General Winter who has a backstory she knows nothing about, which is now directing his decisions and actions. Moreover PIggy was only too eager to feed her to  Zombie Girl in his desperation to keep her alive. 

Even if he were completely trustworthy, she should also realise by now that MW doesn't know everything there is to know about the spiritual realm eg. the tree spirit guarding the Asanyeo sarcophagus. I think it's ironic that MW turned blind after being hit with karmic retribution because his agenda to save his wife did blind him to the dangers that the Asanyeo presented. Thankfully OG intervened although that in hindsight was only a temporary setback for the Asanyeo.

I'm not sure if it's a weakness in the writing or deliberate because the more JM trusts in OG and the other monsters, the less reliant she seems to be on her own ability to critically appraise things. In my more cynical moments I have to think that it's all deliberate so that OG can be the Big Trickster Hero and save the day. 

It's hard for me to avoid that conclusion especially when she puts herself in jeopardy or when others do, he's usually the only one who has his head screwed on right. 

I hope I'm wrong and that SM can turn things around in the next couple of episodes, and play a different role from being the damsel in distress. I can see the possibilities but it all depends on where the writers do with her while she's entrapped herself in the sarcophagus. I would hate for her just to be plot device for them so that OG can shine.

I'm trying to look at this objectively because I really adore OG now. He is my Big Trickster Hero :wub:. His development has been phenomenal and has no doubt overshadowed JSM's. Just looking at those early episodes and how much of a scumbag he was compared to what he is now... so devoted, so confident in what he wants to share with SM and so determined to defy the will of the gods (of course that's not changed in 1000 years. :D)... the Monkey King has been tamed to some degree. He's gone from "I want to eat you" to "I want to be activated". What more can a girl ask for?

• Like 14
  • LOL 1

I was laughing at my thoughts, because I was thinking that Mawang and Asn could be related as father and daughter.I said this because his ability to manipulate and bring the soul of a person to else where  was the same crime committed by Na Chal Nyeo. Also, Both MaWang and ASN use other people for their benefit. MW used OG and SM to stack points, ASN used  general winter, to be more precise, she threatened general winter and asked him to repay her by stealing the incense burner. Come to think of it, patriarch SBR  avoided answering the question when asked about the child of MaWang.

its funny, isn’t it. :D:D

• Like 6

@40somethingahjumma It's ok. No tomato throwing :D

As for me, I don't mind her trusting MW and others in their group, because she has OG. OG is the strongest among them so it's not like they can do anything to her. That time with PK too, since she's not SJ anymore, why would PK wants to eat her, and she didn't know about BJ, so I can understand her trusting him about that. She was worried about BJ after all. I don't know... Maybe it's because I love her so much I can understand everything she does? :wub: I just don't mind they way this is going. She's not annoyingly stupid and weak damsel in distress and I don't mind OG saving her no matter how many times. But sometimes, she can save herself too, like with the book seller. Even though OG got rid of her, he couldn't help SM and she came back herself. Anyway, this is just my opinion. I'm so blindly in love with her so I can't see any fault in her. Maybe she too is blindly in love with OG so she can't see anyone and anything else anymore?

• Like 13

I kinda agree on some point that the lonely scammed Sunmi was much more perceptive as she is a survivor. The writing of ep11-14 has made her to be a plot device to make the male lead shine and swoony *i have no complaint cos this happens in most dramas *

However i also think that while the cold ,closed, and sturdy Sunmi heart is still the same as the girl who keeps believing that Mr. Fairy will come and protect her.

In ep 1, she sounds all mighty say that she doesn't care about Fairy-nin or whatever but the moment OG appeared in her house, she sounds all hopeful again "Did you finally come to protect me?"

Now that she comes to love him and obviously OG is the only person besides her grandma who loves her wholeheartedly. He is the first person that makes her feel vulnerable but safe at the same time.

She seems to be clueless about her samjang role as no one has ever guided her. She can only trust and believe MW cos they're obviously a team... who knows that Demons can betray each other so easily. She has a soft heart anyway esp if it's related to OG and Buja. She was adamant about helping MW until he mentioned Buja's body that can be saved. 

@immortal_piglet hmm have to agree that as cliche as it sounds. He loves her cos she is Jin sunmi. The girl with pure heart and soul that he never encountered  in his great sage life . OG as a deity was never really welcomed as he is only seen as a troublemaker.

However Sunmi is different, he makes him wanting to be a better version of himself.

To be frank, OG is super charming and everything but he was a jerk in the first few eps? No?

• Like 14
2 hours ago, cleoLsg said:

@deanne3004 mawang’s child is a boy and reborn everylife time wth nachanyeo to be killed . so no samjang is not their kid . but i wonder whats the deal with sunmi’s monk

ancestry ? i want them to come and save her and guide her .or anyone really . we have only 3 weeks left and samjang most of have the least idea about doomsday and how to prevent it .  she needs guidance and power to save the world. heaven need to do something about that . 

and one of my twitter mutuals shared this awesome fan video in bilibili.com they have the best hwayugi fanvids i’ve seen so far . if anyone is having a hard time waiting till saturday can check it out . 

https://m.bilibili.com/video/av19610717.html

The monk is also supposed to be a boy and yet here we are... :D  Unless official drama material has specifically called the child a boy, I don't think we can eliminate the possibility that JSM is an incarnation of MW and Nachal's child just yet; at least not exclusively based on gender. Personally I agree with another poster that it is more an outside chance than either a guarantee or a strong possibility. I"m torn because I really like the idea of a fully human being confronting hellish gates, (quietly or not so quietly) saving the world and being rewarded for her efforts.  But it's not a deal breaker for me or anything.  Really what intrigues me about the theory is watching that bull freak out to realize he's responsible for putting his kid together with OG and that he can never be rid of him since he'll be his son-in-law, :D:tongue:

@40somethingahjumma  I do get frustrated with how she trusts MW, although I admit most of my frustration is aimed at how shady MW continues to be and I'm really just <_<.  But as much as SM has grown more emotional because of OG and also more relaxed because she's socializing more (with monsters), she still has a lot of the same instincts she's developed over a lifetime of solitude and rejection. One of them is a tendency to forgive offenses, a necessary skill when dealing with spirits that she may be able to convince through kindness to move on or to maintain even the barest familial ties. IMO, SM reacts to the dubious nature of MW, for example, exactly the way she reacted to her family - he's done/doing something that hurts me but he has his reasons and I sympathize. It's not an instinctive reaction we've seen her kick yet because if she kicked it too soon, she might never have let herself fall for OG. I do wonder if MW's action of letting ASN not only live but hang around after what she's done will mark a change in her attitude towards him?  I'm not expecting bitter or even angry but maybe the same firmness she displayed with her cousin because really, at this point, MW has no strong sympathetic position. Nachal has been freed from eternal torment, if not her rebirth cycle, and that was thanks to SM, OG and even SBR. If he can't show a little loyalty even in the face of that, it likely is time for SM to let MW know he's reached his limit. 

• Like 14

I really wanted to see OG and SJ to have some wonderful moment... is just so hard lately to watch all the episodes... how many times the heart break wondering would they be together, would they not...so many questions I have in mind... LSG acting just great - I watched him then... I would watch him forever... 

• Like 8
2 hours ago, briseis said:

New fan photos from the ongoing filming - it seems SM is back

Looks like SM is with her uniform again >-< If im not mistaken the last photo is a baby . Maybe they hv deleted it

Edited by stroppyse
Please do not quote images. Thanks.
  • Like 5
1 hour ago, theseasasleep said:

The monk is also supposed to be a boy and yet here we are... :D  Unless official drama material has specifically called the child a boy, I don't think we can eliminate the possibility that JSM is an incarnation of MW and Nachal's child just yet; at least not exclusively based on gender. Personally I agree with another poster that it is more an outside chance than either a guarantee or a strong possibility. I"m torn because I really like the idea of a fully human being confronting hellish gates, (quietly or not so quietly) saving the world and being rewarded for her efforts.  But it's not a deal breaker for me or anything.  Really what intrigues me about the theory is watching that bull freak out to realize he's responsible for putting his kid together with OG and that he can never be rid of him since he'll be his son-in-law, :D:tongue:

I agree with you, the gender of the child isn't always male.  In fact, in Ep. 13, ASN tells MW that Nachal's child in this life was a daughter and that she was seeking revenge on her killer.  Since SJ is supposed to a "punishment", it would make sense that it would their child since it survived by such evil means.  Since MW seems to have never mentioned his child and with SB's deflection of SM's questioning who it is, I'm pretty sure it will be addressed.  AND SOG's being MW's SIL would be hilariously EPIC!!:D

@GreeNNa in the English translation of the 30 second preview, MW mentions that he still has an officer he needs to save.  Is that officer General Frost?  Could that be why he doesn't kill ASN?   

@PororoQueen Episode 1 is one of my favorite episodes.  I love when SOG meets little SM, but also the scenes he has with her when she finds him again.  LSG is top notch is both scenarios and their interaction is so fun to watch.  

• Like 13
1 hour ago, astrobooy said:

And by the way is there something going on between LSG and OYS ? i mean the bts is rly suspicious rn . 

We'll see.. it's hard to assume that they are in a relationship. There must be a reason behind why they ignore Oys in hwayugi bts. Tvn and hwayugi Crew must answer all these. Even I, a Seung gi fan is really pissed that they ignore our female main lead. We don't even have a bts scene of our main couple. (Especially those kissing scenes) 

• Like 11

I made another MV coz I didn't have work today and I'm in Hwayugi withdrawal :huh:

The last MV I made was about Oh Gong's feelings for Sun Mi and now, this one is about Sun Mi's feelings for Oh Gong. I can't believe I found perfect songs for both of their feelings. :rolleyes:

• Like 9
  • Thanks 6
  • Jillia changed the title to [Drama 2017-2018] A Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi 화유기