[Drama 2017-2018] A Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi 화유기

larus

Just now, Wendy Wang said:

The soul switching thing is a little confusing...

1. ASN is in BJ's body

2. SM is in ASN's body

Is ASN going to go into SM's body...?

How is that going to turn her into SM...? I'm confused af rn...

Also, is BJ going to be BJ again...?

No, SM is not in ASN's body. ASN is still in BJ's body while SM's soulless body is in her appartment. OG said that SM is not dead she is *asleep* meaning her soul is somewhere else. So it's just her soul. I mean SM's soul is sealed in the sarcophagus ASN was in. Simply speaking there wasn't a soul switch. Instead they switched their *fates*. SM got the abilities of the priestess and her fate while ASN got SJ's abilities and probably her fate as well. 

At least that's how I've undertood it but I may be wrong:huh:

Still confused why ASN wants SJ's powers...?

• Like 8

21 minutes ago, Wendy Wang said:

But SM didn't know what ASN wanted. ASN only told SM about the death bell and that the best way to keep SOG safe, preventing the death bell fate, is for SM to get into the coffin.

The soul switching thing is a little confusing...

1. ASN is in BJ's body

2. SM is in ASN's body

Is ASN going to go into SM's body...?

How is that going to turn her into SM...? I'm confused af rn...

Also, is BJ going to be BJ again...?

Edit: Wait, is ASN in BJ's body becoming SJ, and SM is stuck in the dream? If that's the case, then the GGG isn't going to be transferred to ASN bc SOG is obviously in love with SM. Right? OMG I'm so confused

^^^^ Add to that, ASN doesn't HAVE a body. She's borrowing Buja's for that reason. 

My eyes bugged out at the idea of her being thrown back into the past (ie reason for her being dressed like a queen).... so many possibilities... 

Also - did ASN give up her powers to steal SM's life? 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, juju84 said:

No, SM is not in ASN's body. ASN is still in BJ's body while SM's soulless body is in her appartment. OG said that SM is not dead she is *asleep* meaning her soul is somewhere else. So it's just her soul. I mean SM's soul is sealed in the sarcophagus ASN was in. Simply speaking there wasn't a soul switch. Instead they switched their *fates*. SM got the abilities of the priestess and her fate while ASN got SJ's abilities and probably her fate as well. 

At least that's how I've undertood it but I may be wrong:huh:

Still confused why ASN wants SJ's powers...?

The fate exchange sounds more plausible but ASN now has SJ's fate...which doesn't really affect the GGG bc SJ's fate was passed onto SM, and OG is obviously in love with SM and not SJ...so this is probably where KDS gets involved .-. What does ASN want? World domination...? I guess we'll find out next week .-.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, tweets said:

She isn't physically in the sarcophagus. Her soul is though.

Now the question as to why she was dressed like a queen 1000 years ago???? That's something I'm wondering too. 

The sarcophagus is in the politician's hands (in his living room??? I dunno) and I expect that he's going to meddle with that in the next episode.

so was she having a dream? I saw a clip where she fell asleep and woke up after dreaming that. Was that her past self? Oh gong has been around for a long time, maybe he was royalty that long ago? We haven't been told what his horrible sin was and what his life was like before he was imprisoned. 

wait, was he in heaven prior to the 500 year thing? or was he  human like already? 

y'all I'm so confused like what exactly does ASN want? and what about bu ja? is ASN going to take over JSM body to get to oh gong? like, wouldn't oh gong know that's it's obvs not her? im confused and need the subs lol

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

19 minutes ago, Wendy Wang said:

The fate exchange sounds more plausible but ASN now has SJ's fate...which doesn't really affect the GGG bc SJ's fate was passed onto SM, and OG is obviously in love with SM and not SJ...so this is probably where KDS gets involved .-. What does ASN want? World domination...? I guess we'll find out next week .-.

Yup, even with SJ's fate ASN has no power over GGG 'cause as teacher Soobori said apparently it was SM who activated the bracelet not her SJ powers. That's why the bookseller demon couldn't control GGG.

And it's not clear yet what is it that ASN really wants. I have a guess that maybe stealing SJ's powers and ruining The Heaven's plan of preventing Apocalypse is her way of paying them back for her punishment?

It's the only plausible reason that comes to mind  at the moment.

ASN was telling something about how hard it was for her  being priestess, how she was used because of it and betrayed. But does she really think that being SJ is a piece of cake? She would be in a disadvantage if she's lost all her priestess powers. Maybe that's another reason why she wants SOG? To protect her?

Also without her abilities how she can turn Kang Daesung into *the King*?:blink:

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, tweets said:

^^^^ Add to that, ASN doesn't HAVE a body. She's borrowing Buja's for that reason. 

My eyes bugged out at the idea of her being thrown back into the past (ie reason for her being dressed like a queen).... so many possibilities... 

Also - did ASN give up her powers to steal SM's life? 

Apparently Sunmi's blood is more powerful than hers

for demons it can be used for all powerful things. See how her blood can move the stars and change fate? 

It can also awaken horrible things

Sunmj is just a normal human being with selfless and kind personality so she just use herself to help others.

you can see with her finding out being able to see the future, what she did  was to save the baby first

what am i going to do these 6 days.my brain is rotting like zombie and my heart is tightly tight by the GGG 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, haymochi said:

Apparently Sunmi's blood is more powerful than hers

for demons it can be used for all powerful things. See how her blood can move the stars and change fate? 

It can also awaken horrible things

Sunmj is just a normal human being with selfless and kind personality so she just use herself to help others.

you can see with her finding out being able to see the future, what she did  was to save the baby first

what am i going to do these 6 days.my brain is rotting like zombie and my heart is tightly tight by the GGG 

I guess it is better to say Samjang’s blood (rather than sunmi’s blood) which is the most powerful blood that can attract demons and move the stars.

the reason is because when SM has samjang’s fate, her blood becomes most powerful and when her fate is transferred to someone else she becomes normal human ( in ep 10 where Normal JSM is bitten by Rotten BJ in the van, nothing extraordinary  is happened to BJ ). 

And this fate , aka Samjang’s blood, abilities and etc ...is I think the one ASN coveted as She realised BJ’s body is not powerful (rotten tbh), and she cant keep her needs by killing humans continuously. 

ASN thinks that by being SJ, she will rule the world and have control over OG (she keeps saying to SM that only special person like ASN should be protected by great sage OG) .however..like many of you have said..the control on GGG is activated by normal human JSM (and not SJ) and ASN hasnt realised that. (( Lol, ASN didnt know that true love rules ))

I also think She misinterpreted the deathbell’s prophecy by thinking human JSM is the one who will kill OG..while in fact SJ’s fate is the one who will kill OG..

Sealing JSM will only make ASN to be SJ WITHOUT the ability to control OG as GGG’s owner is still laying  on the sarcophagus ..

So at the end, JSM needs to decipher the real meaning of the prophecy and call OG ASAP. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, VanillaSalt said:

[...]Oh gong has been around for a long time, maybe he was royalty that long ago? We haven't been told what his horrible sin was and what his life was like before he was imprisoned. 

wait, was he in heaven prior to the 500 year thing? or was he  human like already? [...]

@VanillaSalt From the things that have been mentioned by the characters so far in the show, we know that Oh Gong was in the heavenly realm as a deity and at least some of his crimes. In this post written before episode 13, I wrote up a summary of Oh Gong's back story as it is told in Journey to the West and pointed out the things that the show has revealed so far to let us know that a lot of those events must have occurred also in this show's version of the story. Since seeing episode 13, there have been even more reveals, so I'd like to add on the following:

In JTTW Oh Gong was locked up for 500 years, but JTTW was published in the 16th century, so for this drama set in modern times, the writers seem to have extended the length of Oh Gong's punishment to about 1,000 years to match. We can infer that because:

• Oh Gong said that "he stopped counting after 500 years", which indicates that he was locked up for much longer.
  • Na Chal (Princess Iron Fan), Ma Wang's former wife, was punished 1,000 years ago. Na Chal was unable to reunite with Ma Wang before that time, because she had given her fan to Oh Gong and asked him to send it to Ma Wang as a token, but Oh Gong delayed and then was unable to give it to Ma Wang because Oh Gong got locked up in the Five Elements Mountain.
  • Oh Gong knew the Winter General back when he was not so well behaved and comments on how well behaved he has become now. The Summer Fairy was placed into the Winter General's body by Asa Nyeo 1000 years ago. Since Oh Gong made that comment on the WG's behavior change, he probably was not around at the time that the Summer Fairy was placed in the Winter General's body.

So, I think the sequence of events goes like this:

1. Oh Gong is the yogwe king of monkeys and becomes allied with Ma Wang.
  2. Oh Gong becomes a shinsun in the heavenly realm.
  3. Ma Wang and Na Chal had broken up, but Na Chal had a child and wanted to reunite, so she gave her fan to her and Ma Wang's mutual acquaintance, Oh Gong. However, Oh Gong doesn't deliver it to Ma Wang right away.
  4. Oh Gong, for whatever reasons the writers of this drama choose, commits a rash of crimes and causes havoc in the heavenly realm. The heavenly realm fails to execute him, but manages to trap him in the Five Elements Mountain. (Sometime before this Oh Gong is betrayed by a human. Who this human was and what manner of betrayal, we do not know yet. However, it was brought up in the episode about the mermaid ghost who had been betrayed by her human lover. Food for thought.)
  5. The heavenly realm discovers that Na Chal has eaten the souls of children and become the akgwi Na Cheol Nyeo. She is punished and dies. Ma Wang arrives at the cliff where she fell to her first death too late.
  6. The Summer Fairy (Ha Sun Nyeo) perishes, and the Winter General (Dong Jang Gun) makes a deal with Asa Nyeo to have Ha Sun Nyeo's soul placed in his body, so that she can continue to live.
  7. Asa Nyeo had raised a (presumably) human king to his throne using her shin nyeo powers and was about to marry him. However, she was betrayed and sealed inside a stone coffin under a shinsu.
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 3

After reading a few posts, and thinking about it, my confusion on the "soul switch" has been mostly cleared up.

1. SM has acquired ASN's fate of being trapped in the sarcophagus/coffin

Thus, SM is now "lifeless" as she is essentially trapped in the dream.

2. ASN has acquired SJ's fate, with the powerful blood and all

I might be wrong, but since ASN was supposed to marry an emperor and couldn't, she wants to marry someone really powerful aka OG.

She just wants a lot of power, and she's trying to get it this time, if I'm not wrong...

The GGG however, was activated by SM, so ASN has only acquired SJ's fate with the demon-attracting blood. She's most likely going to realize that she still can't control OG in the next episode. It's unclear if she still has her own powers though, because we saw SM getting her powers. If she still has her own powers, she will most likely try to get control over KDS since he has quite a lot of power in the human world.

One thing that's still unclear (for me at least) is if SM is the one who's killing OG or if it's SJ that will. The GGG is her's, and it's causing OG to be in more and more physical pain, but at the same time, it could be a red herring and SJ is the one who will actually kill OG...If that's the case, SM needs to get the heck outta that coffin and save the world with OG! Then they can get married and live a wonderful life together, somehow, I don't know how, but somehow.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, stargazer187 said:

Ooohhh... games!!! @Zelda @Lmangla nice!!! I am feeling so depressed after reading last night's spoilers.. ughh.. I haven't watched it either. Err.. this game is going to be the remedy for my heartache over the disappointment of last night's ending. Kekekeke... 

Without much ado... I'll start playing... 

Errr... wait.. I'm going to read the above texts again... hahaha

@stargazer187, I'm hoping to keep this going over the next few weeks to give us a little something to do during the long and desolate weekly wait from Sunday cliffhanger through the midweek pining.

Please, let me know if there is anything unclear about how the game works. If people want to make suggestions for further improvements, then I'm all ears. :wink: 

• Like 5

Thanks @Zelda!

I love mad libs!!

Noun: Fork
Verb: bend
Noun (describing a person): Aji3
Noun: peanut
Noun: bush
Verb: peek
Adjective: amorous
Name a Kdrama celebrity who is not part of this cast: Gong Yoo
Verb: smack

Reaction phrase : sarang-haeyo

Edited by bebebisous33
correct tagging
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, Zelda said:

@VanillaSalt From the things that have been mentioned by the characters so far in the show, we know that Oh Gong was in the heavenly realm as a deity and at least some of his crimes. In this post written before episode 13, I wrote up a summary of Oh Gong's back story as it is told in Journey to the West and pointed out the things that the show has revealed so far to let us know that a lot of those events must have occurred also in this show's version of the story. Since seeing episode 13, there have been even more reveals, so I'd like to add on the following:

In JTTW Oh Gong was locked up for 500 years, but JTTW was published in the 16th century, so for this drama set in modern times, the writers seem to have extended the length of Oh Gong's punishment to about 1,000 years to match. We can infer that because:

• Oh Gong said that "he stopped counting after 500 years", which indicates that he was locked up for much longer.
  • Na Chal (Princess Iron Fan), Ma Wang's former wife, was punished 1,000 years ago. Na Chal was unable to reunite with Ma Wang before that time, because she had given her fan to Oh Gong and asked him to send it to Ma Wang as a token, but Oh Gong delayed and then was unable to give it to Ma Wang because Oh Gong got locked up in the Five Elements Mountain.
  • Oh Gong knew the Winter General back when he was not so well behaved and comments on how well behaved he has become now. The Summer Fairy was placed into the Winter General's body by Asa Nyeo 1000 years ago. Since Oh Gong made that comment on the WG's behavior change, he probably was not around at the time that the Summer Fairy was placed in the Winter General's body.

A lot of stuff HAPPENED 1000 years ago...

And there you have SM's consciousness being put to bed inside the sarcophagus in what appears to be the same period of time. :warning:

@Wendy Wang 

When SM let the bookseller lock away her childhood self, I get the impression she only got the part of SM which was SJ + had made the contract with OG. I'm not sure why SM's ability to see ghosts was also taken away since that had been something she was born with, but we'll let that slide. :smirk:  The Bookseller could not get OG to be her love swain because (1) he was in love with SM and (2) that love sealed with a kiss was not with the child SM but the grown up SM.  

If AN takes over SM's body - presumably, that also means that OG will be very confused. Because a possessed SM body will still likely have some power over the GGG????? It was SM's lips which sealed the deal.... But he'll know it isn't SM in there.....  

• Like 3

MaWang is catching a flu and his vision disappear temporarily. Awww, Get well Soon MW-nim. It's no fun not able to see MW's twitching eyes, while having quarrel with OG.

I hope Han-Joo secretary will soon tell OG the SJ's where about - that JSM told HJ about her in a wedding dream. Then OG can relate AsaNyeo's wedding tragedy in the past and rescue JSM in the coffin. My wish is that JSM will become Queen Sam Jang in the next episode. The most beautiful goddess who has no interest in SOG *hahahaha, pay back time*.

I read somewhere here about MW+Nachal's child comments, I wouldn't be surprise if that kid is actually SJ.

I enjoyed the confusion of episode 14, so cannot imagine any further what is the BJ+AsaNyeo+JSM switching soul all about.

Will Professor Kang later open the coffin in his living room and found the pretty JSM inside? And what kind of topic is he talking about burrying husband and wife in one tomb. Is he talking about The King and Asanyeo? or SJ and OG die together? To me, it feels like Asanyeo is the one who smile at Professor Kang, not Buja *Buja cannot remember him* and what Asanyeo see in Professor Kang?

I still wish to see Jonathan appear one more time to cheer JSM up, or his reaction when Jonathan knowing that JSM got a mini GGG's engagement ring. :heart:  His English is priceless.

• Like 7

16 hours ago, dvrels said:

But OG already call JSM name but she is not appear so maybe the ring is not a contract yet just a conversation.

Anyway I just realized, OG tends to call JSM as Jin Sun Mi not Samjang when there is only the two of them but when he with others demon he always call her Samjang, looks like our OG not want to show his warm heart to others demons hahaha *trying to focus on another things of the otp so it can help to stay healthy after the very heartbreak ending

Naah maybe it's just another misleading scene like last time 

Maybe in the opening of next ep we will get a scene where OG is holding SM in his arms "JinSunMi please call me" then then therr will be scene of Sunmi opening her eyes to that sound

but Sunmi being sealed in that coffin which is inside the politican room must have some kind of purpose right?

ifASN is in SM's body that's goiing to cause lots if trouble. OG can't do anything to hurt her... I hope ASN will just go and seduce Kang Dae Sung already. But it she used Sunmi's body to do that, pheeeew.. can't imagine OG's reactions

i hope Sunmi will make it out of the coffin by the wedding time

please writer-nim.. because of ASN i feel like i' ve been choked  and suffocated for the last 3 eps

last night cliffhanger is the worst 

• Like 6

52 minutes ago, tweets said:

[...] 

When SM let the bookseller lock away her childhood self, I get the impression she only got the part of SM which was SJ + had made the contract with OG. I'm not sure why SM's ability to see ghosts was also taken away since that had been something she was born with, but we'll let that slide. :smirk: [...]

@tweets This was my take on what and why the bookseller was able to take:

On 2/4/2018 at 1:22 AM, Zelda said:
Spoiler

[...]

How was Sun Mi's life changed by becoming Sam Jang -other than needing to prevent the apocalypse-? 

Sun Mi was born with the ability to see spirits. Because of the troublesome/dangerous situations she encountered, she developed an ominous reputation among the humans around her, and she was facing bullying at school. These things already made her unhappy and she was in need of her talisman umbrella to protect herself. The crux of the issue back then was "seeing". She had difficulty distinguishing between ghosts and humans and that got her into trouble. However, as she bragged to Ma Wang when he warned her in episode 1:

MW: "Whatever you see, whatever you hear, you must ignore it."

SM: "Okay! I do that really well."

she probably had hope that if she could just learn to ignore them well enough then she could one day pass herself off as normal.

Becoming Sam Jang changed that. In episode 1, the ghost teacher discovered that Sun Mi could see her, because Sun Mi responded to her. But with the power of Sam Jang in her veins, Sun Mi now attracted evil spirits to her just by existing. She had to take great care and be physically cautious in order to never bleed. Scrap your knee, get a splinter, have blood drawn? All potentially dangerous. And this probably increased the ominous happenings in her surroundings. Now it had become even harder to hope to be accepted by other humans.

In episode 1, the Summer Fairy explained to Oh Gong Sun Mi's longing for Oh Gong's protection in the following scene:

OG: A kiddo I knew a long time ago showed up looking much older. She made me feel uneasy.

SF: You must've done something wrong to that kiddo.
OG: Yeah. But I don't feel uneasy about the wrong thing I did at all. But she said she waited for me for 25 years.
SF: Desperately?

OG: I don't know what that is, but it concerns me very much.

SF: Desperately means something like this. (slides a glass of alcohol in front of OG)

For 25 years, because it was never allowed, you weren't able to forget about it, and you end up wanting it even more.

Sun Mi already longed for a protector before becoming Sam Jang, but after releasing Oh Gong the dangers she faced increased even more. How much more must she have wanted him? And, then to find out that not only had he reneged on their contract and abandoned her at that time, but that her increased danger was also due to having met him.

I think she must be aware that Ma Wang used her, but since he had warned her to ignore Oh Gong when she went to the mountain, she probably finds it pointless to express anger to him. Not to mention, betrayal or not being cared for hurts when you love someone, and she loves Oh Gong and is more like "neutral" towards Ma Wang.

What was the bookseller able to take? 

So Sun Mi's own ghost seeing talent, Sam Jang blood, and the unfulfilled contract made her unhappy and lonely in her childhood. The bookseller took Sun Mi's childhood unhappiness, which I think is why the bookseller was able to take all three things. The GGG was begun in Sun Mi's adult life and was not part of her childhood. Still, if the GGG had been initiated with the power of Sam Jang as many of the characters first thought, then it may have gone with the Sam Jang powers. However, the GGG belongs to the human Sun Mi and is also probably not something that she subconsciously feels makes her truly unhappy even though she experiences loneliness and hurt from being in a one-side love (from her view point). [...]

@rocat Thanks for participating! Hee, hee! I can't wait to share the results with you after submissions are done on Tuesday. :lol:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1