[Drama 2017-2018] A Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi 화유기

larus

5 minutes ago, YourHighness . said:

The way they locked up KDS..he could become an evil spirit just like ASN..we never know..IF there is a S2. Right now I am leaning towards no but my logical mind is connecting everything. All the plot loose ends don't make sense..Hong sisters generally tend to tie them up in a bow when the show is ending. Maybe the reason why the BTS was so stingy with OYS is because they didn't want the shippers to go crazy with rumors and scandals since that would make it hard for LSG and OYS to work again in S2, if there is one.

God, don't remind me of AoY S2 end..I was wary and put off watching S2 because I thought they would keep an open ending again for S3 and I was proven right..I still have to watch that show and I dunno if I will. BTW why is our OTP called the 503 couple? I joined the thread late so I don't know why.

Yes If there are rumours or scandals

it would be impossible for them to do s2. It's for the best and i gotta admit the bts for all the casts are just awful. 

I notice Cha seung won start disappearing from the last few bts too

hong sisters are under fire and on the trending news right now. It's def not a good thing. 

503 couple

50=ohgong

3=sam (from samjang)

so fans call them 503

• Like 7

Lee Seung Gi IG update

Trans:  I’ve been able to keep up my energy because of the support filled with love you sent to Great Sage Equal to Heaven Son Oh Gong! But even before I could fully convey my gratitude, you’ve also given your love to movie GoongHap’s Seo Do Yoon, so it’s already Spring in my heart! I hope to relay this warm feeling to you too, and I love you.#Hwayugi #GreatSageEqualToHeavenSonOhGong #goodbye #GoongHap #SeoDoYoon #fighting #airen #forever #goodnight

credit: leeseunggi.official // tryp96
English translation: tryp96.wordpress.com

• Like 10
  • Thanks 6

24 minutes ago, haymochi said:

Yes If there are rumours or scandals

it would be impossible for them to do s2. It's for the best and i gotta admit the bts for all the casts are just awful. 

I notice Cha seung won start disappearing from the last few bts too

hong sisters are under fire and on the trending news right now. It's def not a good thing. 

503 couple

50=ohgong

3=sam (from samjang)

so fans call them 503

Yeah all the BTS was the same IMO..CSW and LSG's bromance..joking and adlibs..nothing new...only good glimpses were of LSG-OYS but I think they were very stingy with it to keep the rumors away. Imagine if a scandal or dating rumor had come out..chances of them ever working together..especially in S2 would have disappeared.

Oh really? The writers are trending and on fire? Wait..is it for the plagiarism news? If so, then S2 is almost impossible. But let's see.

I see. Thanks for telling me :D But she is no longer Sam Jang..so if there is a S2 then the fans will have to come up with a new name for them.

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, huhuhahahihi said:

Lee Seung Gi IG update

Trans:  I’ve been able to keep up my energy because of the support filled with love you sent to Great Sage Equal to Heaven Son Oh Gong! But even before I could fully convey my gratitude, you’ve also given your love to movie GoongHap’s Seo Do Yoon, so it’s already Spring in my heart! I hope to relay this warm feeling to you too, and I love you.#Hwayugi #GreatSageEqualToHeavenSonOhGong #goodbye #GoongHap #SeoDoYoon #fighting #airen #forever #goodnight

credit: leeseunggi.official // tryp96
English translation: tryp96.wordpress.com

He's getting more and more attractive :wub: I didn't quite pay attention to him before because I thought he was so-so actor (sorry!) and because of his dating scandal in the past, I thought well he was just okay. But now.. OMG.. now... :wub::wub::wub: I will put thousand of star candies for him!!! He will definitely my first choice if I can find any Geumganggo in this world. hahaha.. 

Sad to see him saying goodbye to OhGong :bawling: 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I am glad the forum is still so active. To tell you the truth, I haven't actually watched ep 19 and 20 in its entirety because I am too scared of how I would feel after it ends, and so much more so because of how it ended. Yes, I was going through the five stages of grief; I was in denial the whole time I was following the live recap and hours after that. I seriously though they would give us a definite happy ending. Then I was angry. Angry at the writers for how ep 20 goes, angry at myself for investing too much time and emotion in this drama (but to make it clear, I was never angry at the cast - all of them are wonderful and did their best!). Like another poster here, I had also almost got a gastric attack due to the stress of the day, luckily it wasn't that bad. Then I started bargaining stage where I'm trying to find a silver lining in all the bleakness and sadness. I was depressed, yes, but before too long I've found that I've accepted the end as it is.

I started looking into the story as a whole, trying to find some sense over what is really Hong Sister's intention. I was also following all the discussions here although I remained silent because I just couldn't yet express my feelings at the time. So thank you chinggus for keeping me sane. I laughed and cried, I raged and grieved, and I also felt the hope and admire the effort everyone took to help each other up. I loved the many fanfic-esque endings; that certainly seems like a plausible route uri SOG would take in his journey to get his bride.

I will post my overall thoughts on the story later on, mostly on the lessons and the overarching story that the writers were trying to convey - although these are obviously my own perspective and opinion. I do hope the forum will still be active. Last but not least, I'm glad I decided to become more active in soompi forums now and meet so many of you here. I truly felt the warmth of everyone here, it's just like a group of friends who enjoyed watching a show together and discuss things and throwing theories around though the only difference is we do it online. I hope we'll meet again in other forums. Till then, take care my lovelies!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, annie1234 said:

He's getting more and more attractive :wub: I didn't quite pay attention to him before because I thought he was so-so actor (sorry!) and because of his dating scandal in the past, I thought well he was just okay. But now.. OMG.. now... :wub::wub::wub: I will put thousand of star candies for him!!! He will definitely my first choice if I can find any Geumganggo in this world. hahaha.. 

Sad to see him saying goodbye to OhGong :bawling: 

I was the same as you before, didn't really notice him or thought that he was handsome (i was more of a fan of pretty boys :lol:). But damnnn, this SOG role really let us see his charming side and i actually love his monkey fringe cut. It does really suits him and i kinda miss it that he cut it right after the filming finish. He is the most handsome and charming monkey ever! Nobody can ever replace LSG as JCDSSOG in my heart. Hehehe :wub:

Edit: anyway I have not watch ep 19 & 20 with complete subs, just some snippets. I'm not sure if my heart can take it. Sighhh.

The withdrawal syndrome is so strong even without watching the last 2 eps. How can I cope with it? I believe I will feel more empty after watching that unsatisfactory ending. :bawling:

Its the first time I'm so into both the drama and the OTP yet it ended this wayyy....

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I thought i’ve recovered from the withdrawal syndromes because work was so busy.. 

and then one of the hwayugi OST Mackelli - Believe started playing on my spotify.. and i felt overwhelmed with grief (lol so dramatic i know)

The lyrics are made for SOG.. especially the part that said “where are you? More than any other day, i miss you..”

:bawling:

Can anyone imagine the pain of SOG who was left behind? 

• Sad 6

14 hours ago, Zelda said:

Sure! I'll post an abridged version this week. :) I read more of the ending chapters after your comment and now especially like Oh Gong's second trip into the underworld in chapter 97. :wink: Even though it wasn't the monk, the one it was, was similar to Sun Mi in goodness and being deserving.

I agree that Oh Gong in JTTW is a very different character than Oh Gong in Hwayugi, but I consider their power levels to be very similar. There have been many hints of that, even though the drama wasn't able to show him at his coolest like a big budget movie would have.

And, Ha! Now my count of people rising from the dead in JTTW has risen to 6. I wonder if the Hong sisters thought while reading JTTW, "It's like how zombies keep increasing, only not, because they properly return to life. Hey, you know what. Let's put in an actual zombie. We can use her for a second romance line and to make the message of loving life yet also loving others more than one's life even stronger. Ayup, let's do that."

@stroppyse and @ladysaotome, too. I'm so happy to hear the posts were helpful. ^^ I'll be sure to tag you three when I post the guidebook/glossary.

Now I just had an epiphany..maybe they left that cliffhanger not for a season 2 but some big budget movie that can have epic computer graphics and stuff? 

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, candiilicious said:

I was the same as you before, didn't really notice him or thought that he was handsome (i was more of a fan of pretty boys :lol:). But damnnn, this SOG role really let us see his charming side and i actually love his monkey fringe cut. It does really suits him and i kinda miss it that he cut it right after the filming finish. He is the most handsome and charming monkey ever! Nobody can ever replace LSG as JCDSSOG in my heart. Hehehe :wub:

Edit: anyway I have not watch ep 19 & 20 with complete subs, just some snippets. I'm not sure if my heart can take it. Sighhh.

The withdrawal syndrome is so strong even without watching the last 2 eps. How can I cope with it? I believe I will feel more empty after watching that unsatisfactory ending. :bawling:

Its the first time I'm so into both the drama and the OTP yet it ended this wayyy....

OMG me too, i didn't attract to him before even i watch 2-3 of his drama, but Son Oh Gong change all of it TT______TT

Damn i cannot imagine, if last time PBG accept this role not LSG :dizzy:

and after watch with sub, somehow i understand about their Death bell's fate, Even Sunmi Die, but the fate is change/ Before their fate was they will killed each other like the white heron who killed her "samjang". But they change it, they protect each other, even sunmi at the end still die, but she die not in Oh Gong's hand. 

• Like 2

Here’s my version of what happened at the end of Hwayugi (starts from scene after ep19):

SM is in Sureumdong dead as we think. But the white heron appears in spirit and flashes some bright light on SMs body and she gains consciousness. SM is surprised  to see her, saying she thought she went somewhere faraway and White heron replies that she did, and will be away after she finishes what she had to do. The white heron had made a wish when she killed herself which was to sacrifice herself instead SM for the death. Then SM is completely revived and the white heron disappears. SM goes back to dragon gates are where OG is and holds him in her arms as she tries to wake him up. He does and is surprised to see her but hugs her tightly nonetheless, saying he loves her so much he didn’t want to live in this world if she wasn’t in it. She then sees that he’s not wearing the g bracelet and realizes his love for her is real and sincere. OGs wish comes true too; like he once lied to Sm that the previous SJ and her guardian were promoted to deities, they are actually turned into deities.

Meanwhile, KDS is dealt in some hwayugi-manner that makes us like the heavens for ONCE cause they’re finally doing their job right. ANS is taken to the heavens for punishment, but just as SM had gotten some of ANS power, since BJ has SMS blood, she also somehow absorbs powers that makes her body permanently ‘immortal’ or at least not have the problems she did as a rotting zombie. She also gains consciousness but has no memory of what happened while ANS was in her (finally an amnesia twist done right!!). PG and her end up together and when she asks about octopus, he just says e went back to his dragon kingdom while she was unconscious. MW and Secretary ma are together as always with his PASS! And it is revealed shopkeepers grandson is his son, they are reunited and stay together throughout time jump making up for lost years.

time jump: ~16 years later

A high school student comes out from school gates once it’s the end of the day and she looks exactly like the Summer Fairy. She was reincarnated (but not with any curse like MWs lover had). Winter General watches from afar with a happy expression as she is happily walking with her girlfriends talking about getting the newest line of make up coming out and wanting to own a sul bar when she grows up.

MW is at his entertainment office with Ma, playing with a baby that looks exactly like the one he melted for back when the white heron brought a baby that hadn’t been born yet. It’s SM and OGs baby. He’s making faces and having the time of his life while this time, his son is watching from afar, with disgust but slight jealousy and amusement too. He turned the mystical shop into a video game shop like he wanted. PG and BJ are now famous idols also famously dating and one of Korea’s favorite couples kinda like a brangelina.

SM and OG have remained in the human world to continue combatting evil spirits and keeping this place the safest place is can be, spending an eternity together to make the world a better place and not be alone in doing it while also bringing out the best in each other.

The End

• Like 10

There will always be a part of me that’s salty, but I’m mostly over the last episodes now. The Hong Sisters really need to give a deep bow to the cast and especially to LSG/CSW (and OYS who got the short end of the stick). They (Hong Sisters) clearly bit off more than they could chew and with all the plagiarism accusations they’ve had in the past, I think there is bound to be some truth to it. This is why I hope there won’t be a continuation of Hwayugi. The actors suffered so much in the cold to make this drama come to life, they deserve to work with better writers. 

My two cents. lol 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Well, Secretary Ma managed to survive as well.

Caption says “(laughter) Naturally, there are four of them #hwayugi #female actresses #bye Hwayugi #bye”

The 4 characters listed, btw are the Octopus, Jeong Se Ra, Jin Seon Mi, and Fairy Ha.

It is odd that Sung Hyuk isn’t in a single BTS. It’s also sad that other than Secretary Ma, the femme characters all die. 

In having thought about the end some more, I really hated BJ’s ending since her life was so sad and then even that was taken from her with not even a nod in passing. Just a few words by ASN at the end.

There is a lot to like about this drama, but also so much to criticize. Oh well.

My big takeaway from this drama is that Lee Seung Gi has become totally hot, and knows how to kiss! :) 

Ah yes, I forgot about Secretary Ma being female. :lol: She was so good in her role, I keep picturing her as the white shaggy dog. :lol:

Was he not even in a single BTS? :o I never noticed. Seems unfair..the shows BTS was really a mess. His latest Insta post is about interview for Hwayugi so we may get some answers..hopefully on the open ending. I wish we also had some with LSG and OYS. Can you translate it when it's out please?

Are you sure BJ's life was sad? I thought she was very happy with her mom and doted on. Only her death seemed unfair to me..especially after ASN took over but I think BJ left the body as soon as she "showed" JSM how she was killed. It's so sad that both BJ and JSM were killed by KDS. I wonder if SOG came to know of it..maybe? But he was busy planning on how to break out JSM.

LOL, you know that's my big take too. I honestly thought of him as a cute puppy guy(In MGFIAG and GFB) and never saw him as hot or anything but Hwayugi changed my mind about him. The guy can kiss and how. :wub:

BTW someone in the comments section on Dramabeans said that the fans were overthinking the "However you change or whatever you become" part of SOG's promise. Apparently this "promise" is very common in Korean dramas and was used in IANAR too and there was no exchange of fiery eyes done in that show.

• Like 1

Keep hope alive! 

Resist! Glue the actors together so, they can’t run away from a second season. :D

Seriously,  after watching chap 20 sub I have to say that all the actors played their parts beautifully. LSG is younger than I am so, I never really paid attention to him. Now I will :D I  still won’t ship him for myself,  but I will acknowledge that he has matured. And thankfully  he isn’t shy around kissing his costars. 

The actors (LSG & OSY) both made a love story come alive (and be believable), and I want to thank them for it. 

This show is still one of my favs even with the ending. It even made me want to buy a puppet (I was going to give the excuse of, ‘oh, it’s for my kid”). And it even made me stop lurking on this forum. :tongue:

This kdrama is special, and will continue to be. Furthermore, It made  me laugh, cry, sympathize, and think -which is a rarity.  

And while we wait for hopeful news of a part 2 or a manwah

Fan fiction time: 

https://www.wattpad.com/543613625-wait-for-me-a-hwayugi-continuation-1 

• Like 6

I've been thinking and maybe I don't understand completely how kdramas work but aren't writers still subject to the decisions of the directors and tv channels? Isn't it slightly possible they wanted a scene of Sun Mi waiting or something like that and someone else vetoed it?

(Just wondering if there's a small chance it wasn't the Hong sisters who made that decision. I went into this drama terrified the ending would be bad and then got caught up in it and forgot to be cautious. I'd prefer to keep a little bit of faith in the writers if there's a chance it wasn't their fault, despite the fact they killed Sun Mi.)

And if they can't make another season or a movie, maybe at least hoping for a special or an extended scene on the dvd... *wishful thinking* :dissapointed:

(I've been a huge fan of LSG since Brilliant Legacy but I'd never seen OYS before. She was great, I'll have to check out her other dramas.)

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, ladysaotome said:

I've been thinking and maybe I don't understand completely how kdramas work but aren't writers still subject to the decisions of the directors and tv channels? Isn't it slightly possible they wanted a scene of Sun Mi waiting or something like that and someone else vetoed it?

(Just wondering if there's a small chance it wasn't the Hong sisters who made that decision. I went into this drama terrified the ending would be bad and then got caught up in it and forgot to be cautious. I'd prefer to keep a little bit of faith in the writers if there's a chance it wasn't their fault, despite the fact they killed Sun Mi.)

And if they can't make another season or a movie, maybe at least hoping for a special or an extended scene on the dvd... *wishful thinking* :dissapointed:

(I've been a huge fan of LSG since Brilliant Legacy but I'd never seen OYS before. She was great, I'll have to check out her other dramas.)

Yes it is possible it was the director's choice or the channels for keeping an open ending in case they plan a season 2. And Hwayugi was a hit, even with the Olympics.

I remember in Faith, the writer had actually written that the OTP will hug and kiss but the director felt it didn't suit the hero's silent personality so changed it to them just staring at each other with teary eyes. LOL, I raged at that ending so imagine how much I am raging right now. Seriously it would have taken them zero effort to show JSM with SOG in the car proving to us that he was successful in his quest but..*sigh*.

• Like 4

I must say i'm pretty pretty disappointed with the way they handled the V.A especially the BGM's included...They omited so many BGM's used that were soooo beautiful(esp. Ma Wang's and his soulmate tune)and being his main tune i mean,why sooo stingy not even including them,not like they added too many to say anything,they added only 4 measly tunes...:dissapointed:

• Like 3
  • Sad 1