[Drama 2017-2018] A Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi 화유기

larus

2 hours ago, carolinedl said:

Well, I think it would have been weird if they had recognized what she did. There were other SJ before her and we saw that they were not rewarded for what they did either, no? I think paradise is probably their reward.

It's true that it wouldn't be consistent with the fates of the SJ before her. But SM was also not killed by her guardian, unlike the other SJs. Why could it not have turned out differently for her? *sigh* And it would be more in line with the original JTTW...  And the underworld doesn't really seem like paradise... :unsure: 

But it's okay I guess because OG is getting her out! Just wish we got to see it.

2 hours ago, haymochi said:

Yes when ASN took her body her soul is perished 

she can't even meet her mum and her last wish to be burned when she was still beautiful was not fulfilled. She became an evil spirit that she is most scared off ( she ate so many people with bloods on her hands)

she will be punished and with the soul gone ahe has no chance of reincarnation at all

my two poor beautiful heart girls Sunmi and Buja. At least Sunmi still have her crazy god boyfriend who will wreck heaven to get her back no matter what

Thanks for the explanation. That's so unfair and sad :( If Buja left the moment ASN took over, why should she be punished for eating people? Buja doesn't deserve punishment... she didn't want to become an evil spirit, she didn't even want revenge on her killers. :( Doesn't seem logical of heaven at all.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

21 minutes ago, kdramafangirl29 said:

I think a sleep is what I needed. I still woke up feeling mad about the ending. But now that I'm slowly processing it... maybe, just a tiny maybe... I can accept this ending. (Well we can't really do anything with it :()

I think the problem and the reason whyyyy a lot of us are really mad because it's the otp that we clung to in this drama. The chemistry is everything!!! In my opinion, 503 couple > story. I'm not saying that the story is not great and all, but for me what made Hwayugi instantly one of my favorites is the chemistry of the leads and now that it lacks closure, we are mad.

I'll just calm myself by thinking that there are other dramas that ended happily but the kissing scenes are not as many and intense as we had with Hwayugi. Plus the bed scene. OMG that's a whole new deal!!!

Hwayugi will surely be in my Top 5 and I'll be lurking around and check the fanfics that will be posted! (I'm sure there will be, right???) :D 

Agree 503 couple  > everythingelse 

what would happen if they didn't cast these  two actor and actress? 

their romance and chemistry is so crazy. Even ep  19  opening still makes my heart beats like crazy. 

Ep 20 doesn't exist doesn't exist doesn't exist. Rewatching this drama again from ep 1 t0 19 ONLY

• Like 2

SM calls OG out to the garden where she faces an OG who doesn't remember her. Plus some exposition from Ma Wang to Secretary Ma.

OG: What’s this? You’re not a human.
SM: You really are still wearing it.
OG: How could an imp like you enter Sureumdong?
SM: Your temper must have gotten worse.
OG: The imp doesn’t even know who I am, and is messing around.
SM: The Great Sage, Equal to Heaven, Son Oh Gong.
OG: You know, and you’re still messing around? Do you want to die?
SM: I’m already dead, so how can I die again?
OG: What are you? Do you know me?
SM: I know you very well. Since I was the person who had put the geumganggo on you. I came to take it off you.

MW: Jin Seon Mi won’t be able to take the geumganggo off. Since the geumganggo’s owner is the one who put himself back into the geumganggo, Son Oh Gong himself.
Sec. Ma: But the heavens don’t seem to know that. However, why didn’t you tell them about that.
MW: Then they wouldn’t have called Jin Seon Mi to come here. Since Jin Seon Mi also doesn’t know the secret of the geumganggo, she probably come to take it off.
Sec. Ma: Even if he meets Jin Seon Mi, since his memory is shattered, he won’t recognize her.
MW: He has to realize himself that he can take the geumganggo off. In order for that to happen, his shattered memories need to be pieced back together. For that, no one other than that woman can make that happen. (sighs) The chance is for exactly one day.

OG: You’re saying that you put it on me?
SM: Yes, I put it on you. Now that I’m dead, I’ll take it off you, and then go. You’ll become more comfortable
OG: How dare an imp be up to such tricks? Did Ma Wang send you? Or the heavens? Why is everyone so anxious that they can’t take this off me?
SM: You said it hurts.
OG: My heart hurts. When it hurts like crazy, because of the geumganggo that is wrapped around my heart, I’m barely able to tolerate it.
SM: You understand it wrongly. It’s because of the geumganggo that you’re hurting. It has to be gotten rid of so that you won’t hurt. I’ll take it off you.
OG: You said that you’re the one who put it on me, didn’t you? What happened after you put it on me?
SM: Something that really seemed like a miracle, an amazing thing happened. A thing where I fell in love with you. Because of it, I loved you like crazy. What do you think? Do you think you can believe me now?

Someone post on this drama group page on Facebook about having many of the Hwayugi fans to watch the drama through Netflix only. They said Netflix bought the series and it's Netflix original. So if there's a lot of viewers then they can make season 2. 

From my understanding, Netflix can demand or make a season 2? How can that be possible? Shouldn't the writers and directors decide on it first?  

• Like 7

SM tries to convince OG that she is the one who loved him so much that she trapped him with the geumganggo so he can't run away from her.

OG: You’re saying that because you loved me, you followed me around like crazy?
SM: That’s right. I put this on you to trap you so that you wouldn’t be able to run away. But I’ll take it off now.
OG: Enough of that. Just because something like this was put on me, there is no way that I couldn’t run away from a pathetic human like you and was trapped.
SM: It’s true. I trapped you.
OG: What did you do?
SM: I told you every day that I loved you, and told you that you were good looking, and did all sorts of things chasing you around.
OG: You’re saying you did such pathetic things? You don’t even have any pride, do you?
SM: That’s right. Even this thing (referring to the GGG), I activated it, so it’s true that I’m the owner.
OG: Activation? How? (SM looks down) Then try activating it again. Then whether you’re the owner or not, I’ll determine it for you.
(SM gives OG a little peck)
SM: I told you that I did all sorts of things. It’s all my fault for doing them. I’ll go ahead and take it now.
OG: Activation…whatever. You’re saying that you were able to activate with something like this?
(flashback to the kiss after the bookseller incident, and OG saying “I don’t think this will be enough to activate it” as he goes in for a better kiss. OG’s heart hurts as he remembers.)
SM: Does it hurt?
OG: Get out. Stop telling lies, and you imp just get lost. Get out!
SM: Even seeing you hurt like this, my tears start. If this isn’t love, then what is it? Come out of here. If you come out of here, then I’ll make you able to believe that I’m telling the truth. I’ll wait for you outside.

9 minutes ago, Liting1 said:

Someone post on this drama group page on Facebook about having many of the Hwayugi fans to watch the drama through Netflix only. They said Netflix bought the series and it's Netflix original. So if there's a lot of viewers then they can make season 2. 

From my understanding, Netflix can demand or make a season 2? How can that be possible? Shouldn't the writers and directors decide on it? 

it's probably a business arrangement of some sort. Just like with the writers of The Crown. With a story like Journey to the West, there will always be that potential for a long drawn storytelling. 

• Like 2

I def need a season 2 after  such ending but i doubt it can happen because of the star studded casts.

I wonder if Sunmi will at least get to meet hee grandma in the underworld?:bawling:

i feel so empty and dying inside

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, gilaswan said:

it's probably a business arrangement of some sort. Just like with the writers of The Crown. With a story like Journey to the West, there will always be that potential for a long drawn storytelling. 

Maybe we all should do this and see if it becomes true. Haha. I live in the U.S so it hasn't been released through our Netflix yet.  

• Like 2

Is that possible for Netflix to demand 2nd season???? OMG! I'm definitely going to download Netflix now just to watch it again!! 

The story definitely open for 2nd season. They could tell OG's journey to the underworld and Ma Wang's story as well. If it was a netflix show, the 2nd season would probably come out around next year. So, still definitely a possibility for the casts to arrange the schedule. 

We Demand Hwayugi Second Season!

• Like 11

The reunion between MW and OG.

MW: Huh? Hey! This is his clothing, isn’t it? The way it’s draped in such an ill-mannered way… it’s definitely his. Son Oh Gong!
MW: (moved to tears at seeing him) Yah! Have you just finally crawled out?
OG: Yes. The bathtub here in this house is nice. It feels familiar. I must have used it frequently.
MW: That’s right. You’ve never even cleaned it once whenever you’ve used it, and the soap was carelessly left splattered on the floor, so the times when I’ve slipped on it isn’t just once or twice! Do you remember that?
OG: Is that what would happen? That must be true. I also left in that state today.
MW: You thug, you haven’t changed a bit. You even left this on the horns of my bull. You made yourself at home as if you owned the place. Saying that it’s not reaching the second floor, the heat of the boiler is turned way up… (laughs) Nice to see you, Son Oh Gong.
OG: Are you the one who sent the imp to Sureumdong?
MW: An imp?
OG: Yes. An imp came to find me saying that she’ll take this (indicating the GGG) off me.
MW: Ah. You’ve met her. Does she just seem like an imp to you?
OG: She told me to come out, so I came out.
MW: That’s right. That woman is not just an imp.
OG: Does Ma Wang know that woman as well? She said that she loved me so she chased me around in a crazy fashion. Is that right?
MW: You find it, Son Oh Gong. When you put the pieces of your memory back together, then this geumganggo will be able to be taken off.

It was actually sweet how much MW had missed OG. Even with his ranting and blustering, it's clear that MW has developed real love for OG and has been very concerned for him.

OG decides that maybe SM is right that she is the owner, but wants to go around some more with her to be sure, so ddeokkbokki date.

OG: Imp. Your words must be right after all. You clung to me, but I must have chased you off. So that’s why you put this (indicating the GGG) on me?
SM: That’s right.
OG: I think I must have been very rude to you. Then again, I’m originally a bastard like that, so I’m not very sorry about it. So, why does it hurt?
SM: Son Oh Gong. I only have a day.
OG: (noticing her necklace) Is that a star that allows you to live for one day? You said that you chased me around because you liked me an awful lot. But you only took one day in order to sort things out?
SM: I did like you an awful lot. Enough to put a star in the heavens for you, I liked you.
OG: How could an imp like you put a star in the heavens?
SM: Since there isn’t much time, let’s quickly take it off.
OG: That’s enough of that.
SM: You said you believed me, so what do you mean “That’s enough”?
OG: You said it’s for one day. One day can be so long. It’s not even lunchtime yet. I think we’ll have to go around some more.
SM: To where?
OG: I’m hungry. Where should we go? You said that you chased me around all the time. Then you must know what I should eat. My memory is gone. So, guide me. (walks off)
SM: Okay, since one day is still left.

(At a Myongdong ddeokbokki restaurant, having some ddeokkbokki with ramen, fishcakes, mushrooms, etc. Yum. I must be hungry.)
SM: Here.
OG: I liked this sort of thing?
SM: You liked it so much, I brought you here every day and bought it for you.
OG: It looks spicy.
SM: You said you liked it spicy.
OG: You. If I eat this and don’t like it at all, then I’ll get rid of all the ddeokkbokki from this world. If ddeokkbokki is gone from this world, then, imp, it’s all your fault.
SM: Okay. I guess you could do that. I was joking. Don’t eat it.
(OG takes the ddeokkbokki and eats it.)
SM: It wouldn’t be right if ddeokkbokki disappears. (seeing his face chewing) It’s very spicy, isn’t it?Are you angry?
OG: It’s not terrible.
SM: That’s a relief. When you don’t like spicy food.
OG: I don’t like spicy food. However, sitting here and talking with you, my mood is good. Perhaps, is it because I did something wrong, and so I feel sorry? I’m a bastard who wouldn’t feel something like that.

How can I think this is cute, and yet so sad at the same time. The sadness is mostly from knowing what's coming, I guess.

I was scrolling through instagram looking at the wrap up party photos that were uploaded and trying to find the slightest clues about OTP really sitting next to each other. We already had that video as proof but the video was blurry as hell and I need more proof. hahaha. Now I'm super dizzy :dizzy:

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

38 minutes ago, annie1234 said:

Is that possible for Netflix to demand 2nd season???? OMG! I'm definitely going to download Netflix now just to watch it again!! 

The story definitely open for 2nd season. They could tell OG's journey to the underworld and Ma Wang's story as well. If it was a netflix show, the 2nd season would probably come out around next year. So, still definitely a possibility for the casts to arrange the schedule. 

We Demand Hwayugi Second Season!

I just suggested it in their title suggestion section. Might as well try :)

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, haymochi said:

I def need a season 2 after  such ending but i doubt it can happen because of the star studded casts.

I wonder if Sunmi will at least get to meet hee grandma in the underworld?:bawling:

i feel so empty and dying inside

Same! I feel so empty right now but I'm trying to accept it... or am I???

Honestly I want to cry not because of the sad scenes but because of anger.

I think if they gave us a heavy and tearjerker ending, maybe I can accept it more. At least it has a meaning. I feel like they just left us hanging. :( 

I know lee seung gi can really act well, since he can do parting scenes well (my gf is a gumiho and gu family book) I just wished that the last scene with Sun Mi dying and the one in the namsan lasted longer. You know, I need a good cry with this drama!

I know I might sound crazy but I rather feel hurt than feel this emptiness. :( 

• Sad 3

2 minutes ago, stargazer187 said:

How was the final guys? Happy or sad? Scared to watch it. Happy ending right???

Technically it's happy, but you'll feel extremely empty and unfulfilled.

........ after 10+hours I'm still ??? I wish they lengthened the Namsan Tower scene and just ended it there.

About the Netflix deal, as much as I would love a season 2 I highly doubt it will happen as it's not happened for other shows (as far as I know).

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I just wanted to mention something. SOG was not a human so if he died after that fight with black dragon he would perish and completely gone like summer fairy so he wouldn't go to the same place as sunmi. 

And probably because most of us are from a different culture I think there is a misunderstanding about that underworld,  I don't think it's the same as hell since in their heaven they have their gods not good people so it doesn't mean sunmi Will be in a bad condition in afterlife world . 

• Like 5

OG wonders if he's hurting because he feels sorry towards SM. MW finally realizes that the Grandson is actually his son.

OG: I feel sorry to her? Is that why it hurts?

Grandson: Oh, you’re here?
MW: Yes. Is your grandmother not here again today as well?
Grandson: Yes
MW: I wonder why such a diligent person didn’t report the geumganggo story? (me: he’s asking why she didn’t tell them about the OG taking off the GGG himself)
Grandson: Don’t just keep coming here pointlessly. You should call before you come. Should I give you my phone number? Do you want to “talk” with me? (meaning online chat)
MW: You’re going to charge for words at that rate. (looks in his bowl) Oh, it’s mushroom porridge. I’m eating it because I’m hungry, but this restaurant isn’t very good. For mushroom porridge, the place in Yeouido is the best.
MW: Yeouido Grandma’s Porridge House?
Grandson: Do you know the place?
MW: I’m a regular customer. At that place, the pineflower porridge is really delicious.
Grandson: Oh, that’s expensive. The pinenut porridge is also delicious.
MW: For pinenut porridge, it’s Daebangdong. At Yeouido, it’s the pineflower porridge.
Grandson: Then next time, buy some pineflower porridge and bring it with you.
MW: Your mouth is cheap (meaning he talks a lot of nonsense), but your taste is discerning. Okay, forget about the “talk”, when your grandmother gets back, call me immediately.
(MW takes the grandson’s phone and notices a photo of the stars on it.)
Grandson: It’s cool, isn’t it? I took that picture.
MW: You did?
Grandson: Yes. There was a night recently when in one night, there were a lot of falling stars. I was freezing to death, but I got a call from grandmother to go and make my greetings to the stars. That she would scold me thoroughly if I didn’t.
MW: You’re saying that she made you greet the falling stars?
Grandson: Yes. She said to take an ending shot and send it to her, so I did. I thought I was going to die from the cold, but the picture is pretty cool, isn’t it?
MW: The stars that fell on this night were the stars that carried the fate of a certain woman that I knew.
Grandson: Tell me your number. The flowers bloomed, didn’t they? I see Ma Wang-nim also saw them.
MW: Huh?
(Grandson taps on MW’s phone to see the blossoms that are between the phone and the case.)
Grandson: I saw them today. I was in the pc game cafe all night and came out in the morning, and al these petals were flying around. Somewhere, flowers must have bloomed already. Isn’t that fascinating? Your number?
MW: What is your name?
Grandson: Hong Hae Ah. Hong. Hae. Ah. You can enter it like that (into his phone). (me: Hong Hae Ah is the Korean version of Hong Hai Er aka Red Boy)

On 04/03/2018 at 8:53 AM, natsuu said:

I totally agree about OYS. I watched her in Come Back Mister (my first drama seeing her) and after now watching Hwayugi, wow... I definitely can see how much work she did to portray JSM, even if some may not love her acting or are very critical of it. It would take a lot to get into the mindset of JSM and her mannerisms etc, and OYS does it very well. She became JSM and I can't think of anyone else who could do her justice. It is such a difference to many female leads, I agree, and refreshing. I remember in a BTS interview she said that she is only 15% like JSM (something like that), so it really shows how much she has had to do to become JSM. I think acting totally opposite of who you are must be difficult. I think I also remember LSG saying he is a lot like OG (90% something?) lol.

Which interview was this ? Do you have the title or the link ?

32 minutes ago, butterflyeffect said:

Technically it's happy, but you'll feel extremely empty and unfulfilled.

Exactly. I've cried and cried and need a little something more for closure. When a drama leaves you needing (or writing) fanfiction to finish the story, they didn't wrap it up well enough. 

I never thought SM would be rewarded for her part - the previous SJ & guardian obviously weren't. But we'd been promised a chance for OG to circumvent their fate and it didn't really  happen. Just because he wasn't the one to do it isn't enough of a change. But even then I'd have been ok if we saw him storming the gates of the underworld and her smiling knowing he was there, or them driving off together, or anything like that. There's not a shadow of doubt in my mind he'll do it but us not seeing it felt like a cheat. 

And I thought it absolutely unbelievable they just hugged and didn't at least kiss before she disappeared.

Now I'm going to go take a shower, sob buckets, and write a sequel in my head so I can sleep tonight. :bawling:

• Like 4