[Drama 2017-2018] A Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi 화유기

larus

4 minutes ago, briseis said:

I refuse to analyze the last episode because, frankly, there is no way anyone could make sense of this mess. I’m afraid my brain could explode from trying.

In the last few episodes, the Hong Sisters pretty much threw logic completely out of the window so at this point they could have Jesus snowboarding down a rainbow and I wouldn’t question any of it, as long as the OTP finally got the happiness they deserve. There were so many ways to end it but they gave us that unsatisfying open ending?!

I totally feel the same! I've been racking my brain thinking and analyzing for the past 19 episodes, and now I feel somewhat cheated because of the end. That's it?! It's just as if the writers just want to twist the knife because they can. I get it that on paper, it would seem quite fitting; bittersweet yet, but also somewhat understandable. BUT they should have made good of their promises of a happy ending! 

What's with the amnesia? So they wanted to echo the beginning of the story; when SOG bailed on SM by taking her memory of his name, now he's suffering with his memories not intact. When he was first imprisoned because he saved the world only to brag about it (from MW'S story) to now saving the world to fulfil his lovers final wish and imprisoning himself out of his own choice.

It's good that SM now knows about his feelings, but it truly feels so anticlimatic. Why such a big build-up, when in the end she realises it is so right before she disappears forever? There's really no closure for her. So in the end, she suffers for years and years, found the greatest love of her life, fulfils her duty, die, and spent the last day on earth with her lover who doesn't even remember her, found out he did love her right before disappearing, then now will just wait for him to come find her. What??? Seriously writer??

There's so many faults and holes I could find, they don't make sense, they just reek of lazy writing. To be honest, no one likes other endings except for happy endings. But if you're going for the bad endings anyway, there's certainly much better ways to do it. Fullstop!

I'm mad, I'm sad and I'm totally bummed.:bawling:

• Like 7
  • Sad 2

14 minutes ago, Mau_Cherry said:

Right - they could have done it - if they did not used all the time for the tragedy part.... and for the many many scenes from the past.

yesss!! the ending was just too Richard Simmons  lazy.. or at least like @miramara suggested, JSM could have whisper OG name, and I am sure there are many other more satifying ways.

Edited by Jillia
Please do not circumvent swearing, thanks!
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, haymochi said:

Oh Yeon Seo once again betrayed by a drama ending :bawling:

i remember her sobbing so hard on the wrap up party of SOGC cos she only

knew that they are shooting a hug reunion scene but when she watched it,it became a reuiniom in the after life.

gah... ep19 is the ending. That's it

my poor yeon seo .  :bawling:   

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, Wendy Wang said:

Honestly, the underlining of the ending isn't bad at all. I wouldn't say it's a complete open ending, since it's hinting that SOG will definitely find SM and they'll become deities or whatever together. There's usually a bittersweetness to the ending itself, but I think the bittersweetness doesn't lie in the ending of a fictional piece of work this time, but in the reality that it didn't live up to expectations. It's not the ending that's bittersweet, it's the audience that feels bittersweet about it, if that makes sense.

This really bitter not even sweet, but what could we do, this is the ending, we can vent but can't change a thing. Thanks to all crew and cast hardworking, we enjoy the drama but not the ending. Love Hwayugi even the ending is hard to accept

• Like 3

Please refrain from using all capital letters in your posts. It comes across as shouting and I know you're better than that. Keep your cool, post in a constructive way.

Also, though I'm sure you all know this, please refrain from using curse words and foul language. Our maturity filter filters out a lot, but if you're caught circumventing it, please know that I take great pleasure in removing your post from the existence of the Internet. Thanks and have a nice day :) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I am so furious and disappointed with the Hong Sisters! Come on now! You gave us so many hints of a real wedding for our OTP but you give us separation at the end! I had lack of sleep every weekend because of this drama. You two will need to pay for my lack of sleep and addiction to this! No need to release the DVD because I'm not buying it! This is not cool! 

No mercy for you writers anymore! 

Capture_2018-02-01-10-33-57-1_zpsq99agir

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, booho said:

Its only for me, or i feel the ending is quite realistic ? typical ending of adventure anime drama :dizzy:

its like u need a "movie" or season 2

Season 2 please,,, season 2 maybe the end of the year? Please... *Crossing fingers* 

• Like 4

Okay I need seungi in another drama fast so I can totally forget about this craptasticlly lazy ending. I think the worst part is that all the hard working and amazing cast was ruined by lazy uninspired writing. How can you write something with such a great premise and Richard Simmons it at the end. Open endings always show the laziness and no conviction on the part of the writers. It's the writers way of saying I don't know what the ending should be so I'll leave it up to the audiences imagination. You are getting paid to write the audience is not so do your job and don't Richard Simmons.

Edited by Jillia
Please do not circumvent swearing, thanks!
  • Like 5

I must say all actors are all great. All did their best;)

Now I can't imagine how am I supposed to not really ship OYS and LSG forever, they both find the best on-screen partner an actor could have. Their chemistry, the intense kiss, the undying love for each other. I want them to have their happy ending together.

• Like 6
  • Sad 2
  • LOL 1

Just a special is all I need. I mean how about her prediction in her sec's daughter wedding?

I just hope to see Oh Gong create havoc in the land of the dead that they will make Seon Mi an immortal so he wont go to the land of the dead again. I would love to see that. The only consolation is that they didn't go the reincarnation route

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, haymochi said:

I feel like strangling hong sisters

my otp huhuhuhuhuhuhu

i don't want to be a delusional shippers but please date and get married already

this touchig love story became such a joke because of that one ending. Gonna take ep 19 morning scene as the ending. Enough said

Agreed!! if otp don’t really have happy ending in drama..Can they have REAL happy ending in real live.hehe.. Can’t control my shipper heart!! I will not watch hong sisters drama again!

• Like 6
  • LOL 1

5 minutes ago, kdramafangirl29 said:

To calm myself, I'll just watch All the Butlers...

But I'm still mad and hurt!!!! :(

Now I try to heal my heart with Lee Seung Gi voice... I hear all his albums now. Actually I'm not Airen, but I just love LSG's voice and collect his songs... I hear Return again and again... Then And Goodbye...

Spoiler

Then later I will watch The King 2 Hearts and My Sassy Girl... I need something to heal quickly, it will be better if I found LSG came to wrap up party and have moments with OYS...

• Like 2

I just can't stop being disappointed. I'm still so stressed out, I want to re-watch the drama but only until ep16. Those eps are reaaally good. Then it starts declining when ASY came.  I'm having a love-hate relationship with this drama, I just can't make up my mind. 

• Like 2