[Drama 2017-2018] A Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi 화유기

larus

54 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

The GGG is not the transport mechansm, SM calling his name is. So not sure if there is any implication wrt the GGG.

I think you’re right that SOG was going to be there when the black dragon was called. However, I wonder if ASN inadvertently woke up the black dragon while she was trying to show off he4 “power” to KDS who had started having doubts about ANS since SM is stronger. Also, from the preview stills, it’s confusing that Frosty is with ASN. Frosty is aware that ASN is working with OG after all.

I also think SM being on the brink of death has to do with SM somehow facing off with the black dragon before OG can. I doubt that ASN would attack SM any more.

But she didn't call his name when she almost fell in the traffic while saving the baby. Doesn't his heart hurt due to the GGG whenever she is in danger and he is quickly sent to her? When she is not in danger, he does not know where she is and has to wait in the office till she comes back.

GF was shooting in front of JSM's office building, maybe he took her to the site? The demons must have decided to help JSM in saving SOG (On SBR's orders or just to save SOG) and sacrificing herself like it was needed? They need the dragon to come out in the world to be defeated and only JSM can do that. ASN will probably be taken away by GF to be killed by PK or MW.

Only if the calling of the dragon is preempted does it make sense for SOG to be unaware of the fight and him rushing to save JSM.

31 minutes ago, Emma Gudiy Caresia said:

As a kind,compassionate and rightful human being Sunmi first worried about controlling someone's mind with the power of the bracelet. Still when she fell in love with SO , even if she thought his love was fake, that he didn't really and consciously love her, she not only kissed him, but had sex with him in the last ep. 
Don't know how you felt about it (maybe you were blinded by their hotness), but I felt pretty much disgusted. We don't need TV series with rape culture messages in it. Forcing someone to intimacy is wrong (even if he did love her, she didn't know that so it's not an excuse for her). 

No offense but you really need to educate yourself about Rape culture and watch the show properly. Right now your reason to hate on the female lead is flimsy at best because from the start it was SOG who was coming onto her to be intimate. Even though he is wearing a bracelet, it is not forcing him to sleep with her. He could have very easily said no to her. Even when the bracelet's power was active, he had all his bearing and told her point blank again and again that his love is fake. The bracelet did not rule his brain and JSM knows that. The bracelet only forces him to protect her. It would not have punished him if he had refused to shower her with affection or to sleep with her.

Also, she went to him to declare her love, not to sleep with him. Them being intimate happened because they both love each other. See the difference?

• Like 15

28 minutes ago, butterflyeffect said:

First of all, we don’t know for sure what happened on the bed aside from the kissing. Second, OG is the one who said “he won’t stop”  so idk where you are coming from with this “forced intimacy”? Lastly, if OG didn’t want it, he is powerful enough to stop her so ... imo you’re just finding excuses to hate on the female protagonist. lol

It was still a kissing scene in bed rated 18+ and kissing someone who doesn't wants to is counted as sexual harassment. Since he had the bracelet on him, it doesn't matter what he said he wanted or how powerful he is, because the bracelet's magic can control his brain and feelings. She didn't know whether he loved her FOR REAL or felt like she loves her because of magic and still kissed him. It can be a magical bracelet, new drugs or mind controlling microchip - still counts as mind control and is one of the modern ethic dilemmas. 

24 minutes ago, RobinM said:

If you think this drama is enforcing Rape culture you haven’t seen very many dramas... 

I'm pretty sure I saw enough TV series in general. I've been watching asian dramas and movies for years and this is one of those that for me haven't shown a good message with that last bed scene. 

Edited by Jillia
Please do not post consecutively, edit you previous post instead. Thanks! :)

13 minutes ago, Emma Gudiy Caresia said:

It was still a kissing scene in bed rated 18+ and kissing someone who doesn't wants to is counted as sexual harassment. Since he had the bracelet on him, it tornadoes matter what he said he wonted or how powerful he is, because the bracelet's magic can control his brain and feelings. She didn't know whether he loved her FOR REAL or felt like she loves her because of magic and still kissed him. It can be a magical bracelet, new drugs or mind controlling microchip - still counts as mind control and is on of the modern ethic dilemmas. 

Except your point about OG “not wanting to be kissed” is moot because the bracelet no longer controlled him at that point? (Even if he did put it back on)

Have you been paying attention to the drama? The bracelet didn’t control his brain, and he wasn’t some mind controlled robot at any point of the story.

If you are bringing up SM kissing him, why aren’t you saying anything about OG’s jealousy kiss then? It’s pretty much the same thing by your standards. ... but anyway I won’t reply to this anymore.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stroppyse said:

I’m really convinced it’s a post-army maturing and toning. LSG just carries himself with more confidence, but also with a more relaxed air. Before army, I always thought of him as cute and puppyish, but don’t see anything puppyish about him now as SOG.

You're right, because I was seeing him the same way too but he indeed looks more confident and relax than before and well, as we can see, exit cutie puppyish boy welcome to our new favorite swoony guy ! hehehe

44 minutes ago, Emma Gudiy Caresia said:

As a kind,compassionate and rightful human being Sunmi first worried about controlling someone's mind with the power of the bracelet. Still when she fell in love with SO , even if she thought his love was fake, that he didn't really and consciously love her, she not only kissed him, but had sex with him in the last ep. 
Don't know how you felt about it (maybe you were blinded by their hotness), but I felt pretty much disgusted. We don't need TV series with rape culture messages in it. Forcing someone to intimacy is wrong (even if he did love her, she didn't know that so it's not an excuse for her). 

Right now, JSM doesn't think OG doesn't love her. I don't believe it at all. She's not 100% sure he does because of the bracelet but I'm certain she knows or, if you prefer feel he loves her. Love is not just "I love you" it shows also through actions, and OG's actions when he first had the GGG and now are not the same anymore since quite a few episodes. First of all, he's not saying his famous "Because I love you" while showing the bracelet. Saying he's the way he is with her because of the GGG to me, sounds like her rassuring herself that when things will go awry, he won't be affected and suffer in the end because it's all fake. (recall the sadness she saw on the Heron).

But most important, I personally, absolutely don't see how she forced him to intimacy. When she kissed him in the library, he is the one who kissed her back, I can't picture him doing that at the beginning, instead he hated being associate with her. Let's say then, there were no way for him to avoid the kiss and because of the feelings the GGG gives him, he kissed her back.

Then when he kissed her several times in her office when she was pondring about marriage with Han Joo, was it him forcing intimacy onto her ? 

And him willing to marry her, can a bracelet, however powerful it may be, can really make you propose to someone ? After all that, of course she knows it's not just the GGG that make him act this way.

And well, no matter how I was blind by their hotness last ep, for having view the last scene lord knows how many times, they were agrement between two adults knowing what they were walking into. Did you miss all those passages in the middle of the drama when JSM was telling him things were dangerous for her because, though he loves her because of the GGG, that's not her case, if she loves him it's real, so she was being careful around him and was never letting him stay at her place ?

I agree, officially she doesn't know his feelings are genuine (since she doesn't know for the GGG being story) but unofficially she does ! And to say that she forced him, like abusing of his feelings for her, I can't agree. It's not like she brainwashed him and he can't leave her at all. He told her first "The great sage SOG loves human JSM", the way he said it, no one would believe it's because of the bracelet.

Anyway, let's say we all have different views and perspectives of one thing. Though, when it comes to dramas, there are some where you feel like feelings of one are forced onto the other, but to me it's so not the case in this one. It's actually one of the reason why I like this drama. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, butterflyeffect said:

Except your point about OG “not wanting to be kissed” is moot because the bracelet no longer controlled him at that point? (Even if he did put it back on)

Have you been paying attention to the drama? The bracelet didn’t control his brain, and he wasn’t some mind controlled robot at any point of the story.

If you are bringing up SM kissing him, why aren’t you saying anything about OG’s jealousy kiss then? It’s pretty much the same thing by your standards. ... but anyway I won’t reply to this anymore.

The bracelet no longer controlled him BUT SHE DIDN'T KNOW IT! The bracelet does control the brain - making you love the owner and making you do anything they tell you to do even if you don't want to. I find this immoral by itself, but SJ first was using it to save her life and to help others. But now she wanted to use it basically to make up with a hot guy she likes (and doesn't know or at this point even care if he really wants her back, she simply kisses him regardless.). His gesture of kissing her for jealousy was harsh, but he didn't have control over his brain or emotions and she loved him for real and not because of magic, so it's a different situation. 

59 minutes ago, butterflyeffect said:

LOL 

I got a great laugh from reading this newbie comment.

You@Emma Gudiy Caresia acted as if you watched the series right from the beginning but apparently you did not understand the whole meaning of GGG and the essence of hwayugi plot AT ALL.

and what is it with microchip and drug? 

I want to ask you, Are we actually watching the same drama? 

And the point is She wanted to declare her love to SOG  which she has been resisting throughout the episodes and it has nexus with her fulfilment as SJ to save the world.

I don't see any correlation with the rape whatsoever.

on a side note: 

Are you ASN's sidekick in real life? 

• LOL 16
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Emma Gudiy Caresia said:

The bracelet no longer controlled him BUT SHE DIDN'T KNOW IT! The bracelet does control the brain - making you love the owner and making you do anything they tell you to do even if you don't want to. I find this immoral by itself, but SJ first was using it to save her life and to help others. But now she wanted to use it basically to make up with a hot guy she likes (and doesn't know or at this point even care if he really wants her back, she simply kisses him regardless.). His gesture of kissing her for jealousy was harsh, but he didn't have control over his brain or emotions and she loved him for real and not because of magic, so it's a different situation. 

No. The bracelet does not control the brain. It's not mind control nor is it a drug. When the love was forced, he knew and was vocal about it to her many times. Also, she offered to remove the bracelet many times and he refused. So she has an inkling that the bracelet is not exactly forcing him to love her to this extent. IT WAS HIS CHOICE TO KEEP THE BRACELET ON HIM. Watch the show properly.

BTW you also need to educate yourself on what is sexual assault. I would but apparently its not allowed on soompi to educate about it. I am sure you can google "Kiss and sexual assault".

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Emma Gudiy Caresia said:

What kind of blaspmerry is  this???? 

:D:D:D:D

You guys tell me why i see  this instead of ep 19 preview 

• Like 1
  • LOL 23

1 hour ago, Emma Gudiy Caresia said:

You were talking about rape culture in your post earlier; and now sexual harassment... you are the only one who has complaint about the steamy kissing scene..the scene is done in good take so appreciate it. 

The message is clear, LOVE IN GENERAL IS A STRONG EMOTION THAT SOMETIMES WE FORGET TO BE RATIONAL AND SENSIBLE WITH OUR ACTIONS. 

Now stop your nonsense argument,  I’m starting to think that you are a fan of LSG’s ex-gf.

• Like 2
  • LOL 21
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, WildDivine69 said:

Hi everyone.

A little OT but seems to be necessary right about now.

Reveal hidden contents

I'm not trolling, nor hating the character (I actually like her in general, especially her altruism), I'm not even judging this drama as a whole, just speaking of my concerns about the morality of her decision to not make sure he truly is ok with it (by taking of the bracelet or asking Frost to help her again), before being intimate with him. I understand if people are ok with the scene since it's been shown to the audience that he can take off the bracelet, but it still bothers my moral principles  since still it wasn't shown to her. So her decision was sure irrational and passionate and for me also immoral. 

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks! :)
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Emma Gudiy Caresia said:

I'm not trolling, nor hating the character (I actually like her in general, especially her altruism), I'm not even judging this drama as thole, just speaking of my concerns about the morality of her decision to not make sure he truly is ok with it (by taking of the bracelet or asking Frost to help her again), before being intimate with him. I understand if people are ok with the scene since it's been shown to the audience that he can take off the bracelet, but it still bothers my moral principles  since still it wasn't shown to her. So her decision was sure irrational and passionate and for me also immoral. 

LOL. Ignoring the logical explanations we are giving and continuing to harp on a flimsy excuse to hate on the female lead is trolling. You are clearly not paying attention to the show or else you would not speak without giving the premise a though.

She has tried to take off the bracelet. SOG wouldn't let her.

Frosty could only freeze the bracelet on one special night because it was a cold wave. He does not have the power to do it again.

Now please prove me right about you being a troll by ignoring my logical explanation again. I have already explained your other concerns in my previous posts. Do your self a favor and read it. You seem pretty desperate now to paint JSM into a vamp. I doubt you have even watched the show. Did you see the kiss clip on Instagram and got up in arms about it? :tongue::lol:

• Like 5
  • LOL 11
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Emma Gudiy Caresia said:

I'm not trolling, nor hating the character (I actually like her in general, especially her altruism), I'm not even judging this drama as a whole, just speaking of my concerns about the morality of her decision to not make sure he truly is ok with it (by taking of the bracelet or asking Frost to help her again), before being intimate with him. I understand if people are ok with the scene since it's been shown to the audience that he can take off the bracelet, but it still bothers my moral principles  since still it wasn't shown to her. So her decision was sure irrational and passionate and for me also immoral. 

I actually see what you mean here and I would agree if you were to take the scene out of context and especially, if you were to disconnect it from the 18 episodes of the show and that we, the viewers, have seen before. SM has been going through harships because of this; because she loves him but she also feels her love is a burden because of the GGG, because she believes her feelings will still be present after the bracelet is taken off and not his. She wondered the same thing when he has asked her to marry her and the same argument could be made to that particular scene as well, no? She also tried to convince herself that if she loved him enough, it would be ok to do this, right? I think that, connected to her ever-present doubts and to her previous questionnings, the immorality you speak of is questionable. Perhaps she was being selfish? I think she was but isn't that a part of love too, this desire to be fully loved by the other, to be the only one? And that aspect is even more complicated here because OG also shows signs of love, he has asked her to marry him, he has tried to sleep with her before, etc. See what I mean?

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

Anyone who thinks that SM was raping OG needs to go back and watch the episode where SM's body was taken over by ASN who then spent a good chunk of the episode chasing OG around and trying to "marry" him. 

OG was freaked out to the extent that he was begging MW to let him sleep with HIM.

That was also the second time that something/somebody else tried taking over control of OG. The book lady was the first one before ASN.

Fairly sure that ASN-in-SM-Body episode made it clear that the GGG could not "make" OG do anything he didn't want to. And SM knows that. 

• Like 10
  • LOL 8
  • Thanks 1

So, I think I may have mentioned that I've been re-watching some of the earlier episodes while waiting for the finale. Anyway, I was watching OG's interaction with Han Joo's kids, Han Byul and her little brother. I actually thought it was even more adorable in the re-watch.

OG is his usual grumpy self about not wanting to be bothered, but true to his nature, he can't help but get curious about the kids when they actually do ignore him. He so hates not being the center of attention when he's right there in the room. This is such a monkey-ish depiction, I laughed through the entire scene. And, as the children continue to try to ignore him, he can't help but try to mess with them more and more. Unfortunately for him, he finally succeeds in getting their undivided attention, but it's only to start crying at his mean teasing. Then he becomes so sorry about it, and he can't do enough to make the children happy again, sending OJ to make snacks for them, sending PK who he knows Han Byul likes to sing for them and sign autographs, and sending BJ to help them draw.

It also reminded me a bit of OG's scenes regarding the group chat room that SM had originally set up to discuss BJ's plight to whom everyone but OG was invited. After making a fuss about not wanting to be invited, he was so hurt that he wasn't a part of it. Awww...

Perhaps it's because I am more into the drama now than when I was first watching the early episodes, but I find myself laughing more at the comedic scenes, and each time OG's eyes fill with confusion or pain or sadness, it tugs my heart so much more.

Anyway, our OG has come a long way from being the selfish, self-centered, self-declared bad guy to being the hero who wants to save the love of his life as well as to save the world because she wants. OG had destroyed the world within the movie to save SM, and now he has the harder task of saving the world for her. Not to mention, our Monkey King now loves someone more than his own self.

It is slightly unfair in the relationship that OG knows everything at this stage, while SM still isn't entirely sure with respect to the GGG. SM has had the reassurance from OG that it is of his own free will that he doesn't want to take it off since he's in love with her, but that is a slightly different thing from the actual fact that OG loves her so deeply and completely. Having said that, I have some sympathy for OG not wanting to possibly burden SM with that in case he dies.

Still, the ending scene in episode 18 where SM not only finally gives in to OG's desire for her after numerous stopped or aborted attempts, but initiates the intimacy, not knowing whether he will stop loving her at some point, indicates a level of trust that SM has in OG as well as giving in to her own overwhelming feelings of love for him. As she has said, she's willing to allow herself to be fooled that they are in love. I'm not sure if the translations captured that concept well, but she expresses it that way a number of times, that she's willing to be fooled into thinking that they are truly in love (versus that she's conducting a one sided love affair only). Given the Monkey King's lusty nature, even without deep love, he seems to have wanted the physical affection and intimacy earlier on even if he thought his feelings were fake. :)

In the text preview, when it talks about how they've ascertained their love for each other, though, I have a sneaking little hope that SM finds out that the GGG doesn't hold sway over OG's emotions any more, and that they really are uniting to share their love for each other freely and not under any influence or even as a way of expressing lust versus love.

However, we will see how it plays out in the final two episodes. I still have high hopes for a happy ending. And, from the BTS, it seems that OYS also wants a happy ending, so I think we are all agreed! Now, it's up to the writers.

36 minutes ago, Emma Gudiy Caresia said:

For what SHE KNOWS the bracelet makes him love her and he had it on, so it doesn't matter if he really wanted to do it, she couldn't know. My problem isn't with the scene by itself because, WE know it was consensual, but with her decision because SHE COULDN'T BE 100% SURE.

LOL you 're funny :lol:

You know it was consensual, we know it, but MAYBE SJ didn't know it (a fictional character btw !!!!), so it has to be rape?!!  And you come to a thread, where you know we are fans of the couple and the show, to create a stir ? to trivialize something as serious as rape because of a KISS IN A TV SHOW and 'cause maybe they had sex (which btw we didn't witness) to argue about not being consensual even though you know it was?!!!

Yeaaaaahhhhh. He was really uncomfortable in that scene, I could see his suffering. Yeap. Totally. Specially when he was kissing her, or when his hand was caressing her face, her ear, oh! an the way he was looking at her, he was really upset!!!

giphy.gif

WOooow. LOL. Ok.

BTW guysss!! What a HOT kiss!! Love it!!!  :wub: I can't believe the show it's gonna end :bawling:!!!

• LOL 20

27 minutes ago, Emma Gudiy Caresia said:

20 minutes ago, YourHighness . said:

She has tried to take off the bracelet. SOG wouldn't let her.

Frosty could only freeze the bracelet on one special night because it was a cold wave. He does not have the power to do it again.

Clearly,  You didn't watch the drama and desperately wanted to make an account in soompi so that you can vent your anger toward the female protagonist.

Woah..the effect of the last scene of ep 18 was utterly exceptional... I begin to wonder whether this has been a trending worldwide that this person could make such judgement.

@YourHighness ., I absolutely agree with your insight.  This newbie comment confirms that she didn't watch the drama at all. 

my suspicion is getting bigger and bigger that she is actually ASN's sidekick which is revived  from the coffin along with ASN after 1200 years. 

......into real life, not only in a dramaland.:D

• LOL 20

I  have never thought Sunmi and the words vamp or rape could be associated together. Come on ! The purest, saint, innocent, and kindest character? It took her 18 eps to have courage to confess her feelings while crying like there's no tomorrow

then i remember OG's face hugging himself while saying

" Is she protecting me? Because Oh Gong is precious? I like to be handled carelessly though" 

then it made giggle even more:D:lol::D

Shouldn't feed the troll but isn't it amusing that this person manages to take our mind off while anxiously waiting for ep 19 preview. Sometimes how a troll can come up with things such as Microchip, etc wows me heeheehee

are you a user from that certain blog which is full of trolls as well? * kidding* 

~off to rewatch ep 18 again, ciao ƪ(˘⌣˘)ʃ(^o^)

• Like 1
  • LOL 21

1 hour ago, carolinedl said:

I actually see what you mean here and I would agree if you were to take the scene out of context and especially, if you were to disconnect it from the 18 episodes of the show and that we, the viewers, have seen before. SM has been going through harships because of this; because she loves him but she also feels her love is a burden because of the GGG, because she believes her feelings will still be present after the bracelet is taken off and not his. She wondered the same thing when he has asked her to marry her and the same argument could be made to that particular scene as well, no? She also tried to convince herself that if she loved him enough, it would be ok to do this, right? I think that, connected to her ever-present doubts and to her previous questionnings, the immorality you speak of is questionable. Perhaps she was being selfish? I think she was but isn't that a part of love too, this desire to be fully loved by the other, to be the only one? And that aspect is even more complicated here because OG also shows signs of love, he has asked her to marry him, he has tried to sleep with her before, etc. See what I mean?

As for the marriage I don't think that "the same argument could be made to that particular scene as well," because her decision on that was influenced by the fact she thought they were destined to be together because of the "love bell" (at the time she didn't know it wasn't a love one). And yes, being selfish is also part of love, I agree. I see that you mean, it was really hard for her to resist him, but I still think she should have until he still had GGG on.