[Drama 2017-2018] A Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi 화유기

larus

On the first watch, episode 16 was so full of loneliness and desperation that it felt hard to watch.

MW's longing for Iron Fan. He's freed her from a further 10,000 years and 99 lives of torment and misery. His desperation as the idea that his child who he had been told had died might be alive to find out the truth and potentially be with his child felt pitiful actually. Despite MW's determination to eat SJ to make himself more powerful for a revenge against the heavens, I couldn't hate him, but rather pitied him.

His fascination with the baby that OG had brought made him seem sad as well, as it increased his understanding of Iron Fan in being willing to do anything and everything to save their child, even knowing the price she might have to pay. If he had developed such affection for a baby he had just met, he couldn't even think of what Iron Fan must have gone through with their child whom she had borne and raised. The comedic moments of MW falling for the baby only served to highlight his pitiable state, and created more sympathy for his anger at possibly being lied to about the existence of his own child. For his sake, I hope that his child had died after all, because I think being lied to and being separated from his child for over a millenium may send him over the edge. Even if his child turns out to be SM, I think it would be hard on MW.

The orphanage doctor who had been a protector of the previous Sam Jang is also wretchedly lonely. She didn't have the geumganggo to bind her to her Sam Jang, and yet it was clear that she had loved him deeply. And, yet, she had done her duty in killing her Sam Jang once he was possessed by the great evil that the world had generated, and thus saving the world. She has lived in loneliness ever since, just waiting for the new Sam Jang to appear, so that she could request a release from her eternal loneliness and torment. She was waiting for the new Sam Jang's protector who she knew would receive the sword that must be used to kill the Sam Jang/Great Evil, and that since that sword was indestructible and immortal itself, that she would be able to die by it.

And, finally, our Monkey King himself. He couldn't last a day without SM, but had to do everything he could to find her and be with her. He admitted openly that he's unable to have any patience at all. The thought of possibly being without SM, of actually having to kill SM filled him with horror and even more resolve not to accept heaven's determined plan of having the SJ's protector also be the one who kills the SJ in order to protect the world. OG is also afraid, however, of taking off the geumganggo and of how he will feel about SM once it's off.

Everyone is so convinced that OG will be fine with SM's death once the geumganggo has been removed from his wrist: MW, the orphanage doctor, and SB himself have all said so. OG himself is afraid to find out how he would feel if the geumganggo is removed. However, I think it's too late for OG. I think he has developed real feelings for SM that surpasses what the geumganggo can do to his heart.

So, it made me realize that the story of the orphanage doctor and her SJ is a cautionary tale of what has happened to previous SJ's and protectors. I have to trust that our Monkey King in his infinite wiliness will come up with something else though to subvert heaven's intent. His rebellion of the heavenly orders and his iconoclastic, non-deferential nature is one of his trademark characteristics after all. I refuse to believe that the final lesson of this drama is that heaven can't be circumvented. And, actually, we've already been introduced to the concept of loopholes in heaven's mandates already in how MW was able to save Iron Fan from further misery. So, I firmly believe that our OTP will persevere and have their long and happy life together, with SM being awarded divinity for her services. :)

I do have a strong feeling that OG won't tell SM about the deadly fate. He's afraid of losing her and what she'll do. I think SM will figure it out herself from someone and she will choose to sacrifice herself, since she is such a kind selfless person, who just wants to save the world.

If she willingly sacrifices herself, she may live at the end. Heavens will see her loving sacrifice and let her live. Which I hope they have a bit of love in them to see that. 

I picture OG... when he sees her sacrificing herself... without him knowing... will hurt him to death that he may just destroy the whole world.

I hope that doesn't happen but hope there's an alternative for them to change the deadly fate and live together at the end. I don't care if both die together or are alive together at the end. As long as they have each other, I will be happy. 

Btw, did the previous samjangs knew that their guardian had to kill them since they are the ones to save the world? That would be so sad that they didn't know. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 6

Of course Og once again will hide the fact about the sword as he already made sure that the sword is sealed.

The heartbreaking scene will be when Sunmi realized that the way to save the world is by  sacrificing  herself. She will get that sword and stab herself in front of OG :dissapointed_relieved::cry:

OG only cares about his Sunmi. He only needs her but Sunmi is different, her heart is attached to this cruel world... she seems so happy with the fact that she wasn't an unlucky baby but someone who can save people.

• Like 2
  • Sad 11

@haymochi It will be too sad. They should discuss this over and find what they can do to stay alive for each other. But I doubt it. If SM dies then OG should die as well after using the sword so they can be together at the end whether they live or not. 

I will blame the heavenly realms for their selfish ridiculous decision to do this from the very beginning for every generation. I may even end up having a grudge on them in this drama if it doesn't turn out well in the end. I will also hate the Hong sisters if they wrote the drama to end up like this. Which the heavens won and it's a continuing deadly fate cycle of guardians and samjangs. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

General Meaning of the Lotus Flower

The Lotus is a delicate flower with many layered petals arrayed around a central core. A few different plants from separate families all make up this category, but they all have similar meanings when it comes to symbolism. The plants also look alike and share other characteristics like medicinal and edible value. In general, all the Lotus flowers exude beauty and grace. Most varieties grow in the water of ponds and creeks, lending them an otherworldly quality that makes them mystical enough for religious ceremonies. In the Victorian flower language, the Lotus represented eloquence.

Lotus Flower Color Meaning

The color of the Lotus certainly affects its general meaning as well. The white lotus flower and pink lotus flower from the Nelumbo family are seen as meaning purity and devotion. More passionately colored red, purple, and blue Lotus flower blooms can take on a spiritual meaning of ascension, enlightenment, or rebirth. A green Lotus flower is a beautiful gift for anyone trying to improve their life and start good habits.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 11

6 minutes ago, Liting1 said:

@haymochi It will be too sad. They should discuss this over and find what they can do to stay alive for each other. But I doubt it. If SM dies then OG should die as well after using the sword so they can be together at the end whether they live or not. 

I will blame the heavenly realms for their selfish ridiculous decision to do this from the very beginning for every generation. I may even end up having a grudge on them in this drama if it doesn't turn out well in the end. I will also hate the Hong sisters if they wrote the drama to end up like this. Which the heavens won and it's a continuing deadly fate cycle of guardians and samjangs. 

Now you said it, i think Sunmi and OG will fight and end this fate cycle of guardians and samjang.

the sacrifice that 's gonna  wrench the viewers heart will def happen but maybe in the end the heaven will be touched with their love and grand them becoming deities.

1 minute ago, astrobooy said:

General Meaning of the Lotus Flower

The Lotus is a delicate flower with many layered petals arrayed around a central core. A few different plants from separate families all make up this category, but they all have similar meanings when it comes to symbolism. The plants also look alike and share other characteristics like medicinal and edible value. In general, all the Lotus flowers exude beauty and grace. Most varieties grow in the water of ponds and creeks, lending them an otherworldly quality that makes them mystical enough for religious ceremonies. In the Victorian flower language, the Lotus represented eloquence.

Lotus Flower Color Meaning

The color of the Lotus certainly affects its general meaning as well. The white lotus flower and pink lotus flower from the Nelumbo family are seen as meaning purity and devotion. More passionately colored red, purple, and blue Lotus flower blooms can take on a spiritual meaning of ascension, enlightenment, or rebirth. A green Lotus flower is a beautiful gift for anyone trying to improve their life and start good habits.

Sunmi is pink coloured lotus hence it fits her so well:purity and devotion

• Like 11

Spiritual and Religious Lotus Flower Symbolism

Aside from the Victorian and contemporary meanings for the Lotus, there is a wealth of symbolism tying these flowers to Hinduism, Buddhism, and the ancient Egyptian’s religious practices. The ancient Egyptians used the plant extensively as a symbol in the paintings and carvings left on the walls of temples and tombs. Scholars believe the Egyptians viewed the Lotus as a symbol of rebirth because it appeared to sink at night and rise again in the morning. It is now known the plant simply loses old blooms and adds new ones on a daily cycle, but it is still a potent reminder of reincarnation and the mysteries of the afterlife. The priests and other religious leaders also brewed the flowers to make a tea with sedative and mild psychotropic effects, which heightened their sense for ritual work.

The Lotus meaning in Hinduism is a little different. As ideas were exchanged with Buddhists for thousands of years, Hindu religious leaders began to use the flower as a symbol of peace and eternity. White lotus flowers are usually seen under the feet of deities like Lakshmi, Ganesha, and Saraswati. Brahma, the ultimate creator, emerges from a Lotus as well. This sense of purity arises from the flower’s growing habit of rooting in mud and pushing up through the water to bloom.

The flower’s meaning in Buddhism is similar, but still unique again from the other meanings. The Buddhist Lotus represents:

Patience

Purity

Mysticism

Direct Spiritual Contact

Emptiness from Desire

Victory over Attachments

Enlightenment and the Bodhi State

Love and Compassion for All Things

Self-Awareness

Faithfulness During Spiritual Development

Rising Out of Suffering

These deep spiritual meanings gave rise to a way of sitting known as the Lotus position. The legs are crossed and tucked in a way that makes the bent knees look like the petals of a lotus. It is an important position in both Buddhist meditation and Hindu yoga practices. The soles of the feet are tucked away, which makes it a respectful position to sit in when visiting a temple where exposing the bottom of your feet is considered rude. Another example is the use of the lotus in mandalas, which are spiritual and artistic representations of divine energies and meditation aids in Buddhist traditions.

Cr.flower meanings

Just throwing ideas here for what JSM is looking/ what she will probably do. And sorry for the long post

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5

Watching ep 16 made me realise one thing: our heroine is sharp, sensitive and smart. She is able to notice the emotions of people around her and pays alot of attention to these details.

When OG tells her that the previous SJ and his/her protector received enormous reward and become dieties after fulfilling their mission, would you really think that our heroine fell for that? SM said that it will be more painful for the one that is left behind after the other one dies. She noticed the tears in the previous SJ’s protector eyes when they were about to leave the village. Those soulful eyes shows the sadness and the loneliness of the one left behind. She knows the cruel truth, that one has to be sacrificed, and that the fate of the death bell remains.

i believe our heroine will be a step ahead of OG. Her ability to see the future will help her to complete the mission that only SJ can fulfill. That mission is to sacrifice herself and stop the world from destruction.

• Like 19

Somehow I kept reminding me, that the story could be like Final Fantasy X. There is Sin and yuna had to sacrifce herself to destroy sin. But in the end she summoned all bestias and of course her love tidus (which was a dream) disappeared. Maybe SM can also summon all demons, deitys and monsters away. So that way she can save the world but OG "dies" also. And because OG sacrificed his self and dissapeared, the heaven lets him down on earth as a human afterwards as a reward??

I think OG will find out other ways, so that SM won't die. As we saw he loves her despite of GGG and if it gets removed, he will just listen to his feelings. Which could really lead him to destroy everyone. 

• Like 4

They give me life on Saturday and rip my heart out on Sunday .... i want a happy ending without the being apart for a few of years and meet again storyline which seem to be a favourite ending for k dramas... sigh....

OG to cute to be miserable 

• Like 10
  • Sad 1

Just a random thought, so OG only need to put the super powerful evil spirit to a body, then stab that body with the sword, can Oh Gong put that evil spirit in KDS and then stab him? Or another case OG can kill that evil spirit before it possess SM, so that OG doesn't need to stab SM. I just wish back in previous episode the spirit that protect the tree succeed to kill KDS. I feel so sad after watching ep 16, Sun Mi already knows her fate, to save the world and die :bawling:

Poor OG frustrated to find a way to save his love life. 

The only funny moments was when SM said to OG "Can you work?" OG answer "I can ask for job to Oh Jeong" then SM said "Forget it, keep playing around, I have a lot of money" when SM said she has a lot of money i was like :oB)

• Like 13
  • LOL 5

Has anyone touched on the topic of the white crane/heron seen by the "little brother" when he was talking out loud to himself about bringing OG breakfast, it was while OG and SM were talking in his room....  

White cranes/ storks/ herons have several meanings, this is just a few... 
Longevity (they were believed to live 1000 years), good fortune, wisdom, they carry the dead souls to higher enlightenment, springtime/rebirth...they also mate for life so they are a symbol of fidelity. 

In christianity which I know this lore doesn't center on but I find interesting....they are symbolic of cleansing the world of the devil's influence.

Also....Ratings bounced up a little today: 
                                       Nation wide/ Seoul 

February 18, 2018 4.250% 4.565%
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, immortal_piglet said:

Watching ep 16 made me realise one thing: our heroine is sharp, sensitive and smart. She is able to notice the emotions of people around her and pays alot of attention to these details.

When OG tells her that the previous SJ and his/her protector received enormous reward and become dieties after fulfilling their mission, would you really think that our heroine fell for that? SM said that it will be more painful for the one that is left behind after the other one dies. She noticed the tears in the previous SJ’s protector eyes when they were about to leave the village. Those soulful eyes shows the sadness and the loneliness of the one left behind. She knows the cruel truth, that one has to be sacrificed, and that the fate of the death bell remains.

i believe our heroine will be a step ahead of OG. Her ability to see the future will help her to complete the mission that only SJ can fulfill. That mission is to sacrifice herself and stop the world from destruction.

This is what I am afraid of, that SJM will foresee that “inevitable fate” and just accept it when that wasn’t decided by her. She needs to fight back, fight alongside SOG since he’s already prepared to take on the whole of the spiritual realm to prevent this fate. But her characteristic is such that she’s willing to spare others pain blah blah blah. She’s noble, i will give her that, but she’s also smart. I think she needs to have that fighting spirit! Use her new powers and fight! 

There are many ways to skin a cat, and just because one way worked before, doesn’t mean it will have to be the same way over and over again. I don’t buy that each time there’s a catastrophic future, someone has to be given the fate of SJ and just die. And its always because that someone who did something probably to offend the heavenly realms and therefore, will have to die after experiencing love, friendship and all.  

Maybe that’s why the old protector showed up. The old protector followed the path that the spiritual realm decided, and therefore, became so alone. I hope SOG, SJM, WM and all the deities wannabe or ex-deities will fight together. 

• Like 12

If someone needs to be sacrificed to save the world, I hope it will be by some twist of circumstances KDS. Let SJ’s newly acquired powers help get her through the sacrificial rites. With some dun dun dun drama of cos to keep us at the edge of the seats. There is nothing like good angst in exchange for a happy ending with all the happy ever after frills.

:huh: But it had better be good. 

Pweeseee.

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, dvrels said:

Just a random thought, so OG only need to put the super powerful evil spirit to a body, then stab that body with the sword, can Oh Gong put that evil spirit in KDS and then stab him? Or another case OG can kill that evil spirit before it possess SM, so that OG doesn't need to stab SM. I just wish back in previous episode the spirit that protect the tree succeed to kill KDS. I feel so sad after watching ep 16, Sun Mi already knows her fate, to save the world and die :bawling:

Poor OG frustrated to find a way to save his love life. 

The only funny moments was when SM said to OG "Can you work?" OG answer "I can ask for job to Oh Jeong" then SM said "Forget it, keep playing around, I have a lot of money" when SM said she has a lot of money i was like :oB)

Woah woah... so Sunmi might be possesed again later?

so her mission is to summon this big evil spirit to her body with her blood  and get stabbed by her guardian? 

I want Og to burn down the world and heaven  already. This is so unfair... she livednas an unclucky kid being bullied and scorned at. Moreover hunted by demons... and her fate is to die????

OG aaah.. i hope you find justice for your honey

this drama is super good. I'm more amazed at the rating which doesn't  describe this amazing drama at all

• Like 11