[Drama 2017-2018] A Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi 화유기

larus

Everyone is so quick to judge MW. But i can actually understand his feelings. We all saw how agonizingly painful it was for OG to bear losing his SM even for a day.

Even The Egret guardian couldn't bear to live with the thought of her beloved dying and has chosen death in the end.

And WM was enduring this agony for centuries.  He bowed his head to The Heavens orders and shared his wife's punishment for 1000 years losing her to an awful fate over and over again. And he even was robbed of a chance to see his NCN for the last time and say his goodbyes (all thanks to a certain *forgetful* monkey).  And now he finds out that Heavens lied to him about their son's death. So how he is supposed to feel? Of course he is so damn angry!  He gave them a chance to tell the truth but was lied yet again. He is blinded by rage. Yes, maybe his intentions are wrong and his wrath are misdirected (because it's not SM's fault). But his judgement is clouded by his emotions at the moment.  At least it seems MW doesn't want to become ASN's puppet, you have to give him that. But he still needs a way to find his child and  take his revenge on Heavens. So killing SJ is the only thing he knows that would kill two birds with one stone.

I'm not going to judge MW's qualifications for becoming God. He is evil? He is selfish? Not good enough material for the position? Maybe

But we all saw what a merciful bunch their Gods are.  Not even for one bit they are unreasonably cruel and selfish. Yeah right. 

Anyway, I still hope that MW with the help of his friends would be able to make a right desicion in the end and show to Heavens that he is also a force to be reckoned with. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, butterflyeffect said:

imo the conversation OG had with the doctor on the bridge is quite telling...

when she tells him that he can escape suffering like she did because of the GGG, he replies:

“Because I have this on, I can’t begin to fathom what kind and how great the suffering would be after this disappears. I’m…more afraid of that.”

I wondered about that, maybe he's afraid that there will be suffering because something he's valued over all will dissapear when the GGG is removed? As in there will be a void he won't know how to fill and that in it self will be suffering?

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

On 2/18/2018 at 10:48 AM, countingstarz said:

Did she mean that once SJ dies he wouldn't suffer because she thinks his love isn't genuine and it's only due to the GGG or am I interpreting it wrong lol

(Me looking too deep) I think there might be a deeper meaning to the GGG that we don't know about yet. lol

His reply seems like foreshadowing to me though. I agree with that theory that SM will sacrifice herself...  ;__;

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Liting1 said:

I just think OG will let the world burn down because this fate to save the world is a bunch of BS made by the heavens. Don't they have some kind of powers up there too? Are they that weak to win against hell? 

The chinese mythology doesn't work like that. There is no heaven nor hell in the sense of monotheistic religions of the middle east. It's more that the world is under the control of "fate", which is merciless and not understandable to humans. Gods are able to read fate at times and act accordingly, but they cannot change it, so basically they try to minimize the damage but can't reverse fate. It's not the devil against the good god, the gods are more like humans with special powers and fate is "god" which is never personified. The gods do try to implement their own rules like a hierachy in heaven (a place above where they live, not the place humans go after they die), like rewarding the good and punishing the bad, which is game-changing for humans, but the gods cannot change the fate of the world.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, countingstarz said:

Did she mean that once SJ dies he wouldn't suffer because she thinks his love isn't genuine and it's only due to the GGG or am I interpreting it wrong lol

That’s how I interpreted too. If that’s the case, then the heaven is helping the guardian. So GGG is to protect the Guardian. Then it makes sense when SBR previously said that GGG was to protect feelings. I Guess he meant to stifle real feelings. 

Im confident that since the topic of the sacrifice is broached so early before the end, they will be able to overcome it. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Ldy Gmerm said:

I wonder if a twist this time is OG, SM/SJ and MW and other gods and deities band together to stop the world ending but also teach heaven a lesson over their own selfishness in playing with lives? It would be interesting to see that because I think that the Heavens have had far to long to play with peoples lives. I am not saying that those that do wrong should not get some form of punishment even those who are immortal and are powerful but I feel that at some point even heaven needs to take a step back because with great power comes arrogance and detachment to remember that their way may not be the only way to fix a problem or that those that do wrong do not have to suffer for eternity for that wrong if they have at some point learned their lesson and changed for the good. 

That is why I say I would love to see MW , OG , SJ and the rest not only stop the end of the world but also be able to deal with heaven and be with the ones they love at the end. Should be interesting to see where the Hong Sisters are going with this story.

Hm this will be difficult since "heaven" is an inanimate something in this mythology. It's like saying let's team up to teach earth a lesson for the earthquakes it caused. It won't work or if it ever did it would probabaly backfire severely on anybody who tried.... Although I'm still optimistic that in the end they will find a way out and have a happy ending.

3 hours ago, Mau_Cherry said:

Sad but true - the Hong Sisters often use the Seperation the OTP in the end - before we got the happy end...

Gosh - I don´t like it - but at least they gave us happy ends. So the chances for them using that card again are high I guess.

I personally wouldn't care if they separated temporarily as long as we got the happy ending :D:D 

Btw I feel conflicted about MW's story. I don't think that heaven "tricked" them by killing his child, however maybe by sacrificing the lives of human children, his wife managed to save their child after all. I think her punishment of having to be reborn as a human and suffer the loss of her child is just, because she caused many mothers suffering for her own child's live, which is understandable, but cannot go unpunished. My theory is that she managed to save their child but they were separated and the child hidden, because what would the point of their (her) punishment be if she was reunited happily with her child after having killed human children for him/her? So in the end their child will be ok but their surplus punishment would have been separation from him/her for a long time.

Edited by rittoo
had something to add and wanted to avoid double post
  • Like 6

12 minutes ago, rittoo said:

I like this theory much better than the one where Samjang is the daughter of MW. Also he did say son.

Although does anybody wonder how it took him 1000 years to start wondering about his child's fate? _(:з」∠)_

Sorry to cut your post.

Apparently MW was told the child died. And he believed thinking there are no reasons for Heavens to lie about it. Especially since the baby was weak and sickly.

You can only imagine how betrayed, hurt and angry he must feel right now.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, juju84 said:

Sorry to cut your post.

Apparently MW was told the child died. And he believed thinking there are no reasons for Heavens to lie about it. Especially since the baby was weak and sickly.

You can only imagine how betrayed, hurt and angry he must feel right now.

Yeah but I wonder why he only started doubting after ASN said something. I mean it's not like she had any proof at all, she just voiced justified doubts, but how come he never even once wondered about his child? Or maybe whether it's been reborn as somebody else? :D I had to SMH a bit at him you know....

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

7 hours ago, intanr said:

Ayooo.... why lah... all this sad stuff every episode like never ending... I don’t mind on bumping into spirits and ghosts in the first 10 episodes.... and fighting the evil spirits but since episode 11, it has been all about getting ready to die, no one to trust, betrayal, and fate to die ....the only consistent is SOG..... WHO continue to live....and love....  SJ... can you have a little bit of faith and not to be too innocent after all what had happened to you. Daaaaaaa..  

It's not about innocent or not now

after all these happening who would have thought Mawang will let ASN go and go to the betrayal route. He is someone who went through thousand years of trying to gain points by helping samjang finish her mission. And now To the extend of eating samjang?????

Ghostbusting is fun but the real thing is happening now. It was indicated from Sunmi's foreseeing the apocalypse in ep 4 and how a sacrifice is needed to save the world.

this is a very cruel choice for Sunmi. Forsake the humanity to be with OG forever or save the world. It's said then when the world is in a mess a samjang has to stabbed by the sword. Poor girl..heaven is so cruel.

What made OG even determined to bury that sword? sunmi said she doesn't want to think about this kill or to be killed fate.. she wants to be together with him as of now. 

The bright side is i don't think any  other samjang have gotten the power like Sunmi. She is starting to use her power of being able to see the future and i hope she gets to use more of her other power too.

Sunmi also said to OG "so i can be a deity too?". I hope this indicate she will get MW position mwahahahahahaha

MW will likely contribute to this doom of hell soon. ASN seems to be really useless now with all her power gone? I admit it's now kinda bored of seeing her.. better return Buja already.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, rittoo said:

Yeah but I wonder why he only started doubting after ASN said something. I mean it's not like she had any proof at all, she just voiced justified doubts, but how come he never even once wondered about his child? Or maybe whether it's been reborn as somebody else? :D I had to SMH a bit at him you know....

Well just before recently MW didn't even know there is a loophole in his wife's punishment and he can actually receive it in her stead. So there was no reason for him to doubt everything else as well. From his own words, MW believed that Heavens orders are absolute and can't be avoided or opposed. We know he tried on numerous occasions to help his wife's reincarnations and just like secretary Ma said it resulted in an even more awful fate in her next life.

Who knows maybe MW was told that his child's soul won't be reincarnated as a punishment for NCN  stealing other babies' souls to cure hers.

• Like 5

I am sorry guys but just because MW suffered doesn't mean he can make others suffer to get what he wants. That makes him the bad guy. Just like his wife had no right to kill other babies to save hers. MW has no right to kill SJ just to get revenge on the heavens. The way he behaves, I don't think he deserves to be a deity at all. Unless he does some really big sacrificing, my opinion on that won't change.

Also, why do I get a feeling that MW will make a deal with ASN to get SOG's GGG out. I don't think the GGG will remain on his hand till the stabbing occurs.

• Like 16

Hello everyone. Silent lurker here, but I just can't help myself this time. So we are only left with four episodes. I hope we'll get a happy ending.

I don't know why, but I can't help but feeling they will be going through the reincarnation route. Maybe SOG will sacrifice himself rather than killing JSM and somehow he'll be reborn as human while JSM becomes a deity and waits for him forever? I'm worried because of of the baby, and how he looks like SOG and the remark that it's not his time to be born yet. I don't know. I hope I'm wrong. I have faith in Hong Sisters. Please please don't let us down. I just want them to be happily together in the end.

• Like 7

In retrospect, it becomes clear why in episode six these words and the scene that followed were highlighted so much :

"For her sake, the Great Sage burned up an entire world."

Because now OG has to do the opposite : for the sake of the world, he has to stab her. The reason why the scene had such an underlying melancholic tone was due to the irony of this. And what's even more tragic? That a world without her has no value to him. It's like being forced to give up the meaning of your life

A bit off topic and just a pure speculation but I think I know why Alice's/the prince's characterisation and story line is a bit lackluster. As some of you know, scriptwriters hate 1+1 deals made by agencies (basically when agencies give you a lead actor along with a not so talented actor, who they're trying to hype up). Bo-ra and LSG come from the same agencies and I suspect that they made the same deal and that the writer's petty revenge was to offer her a plotline that left little space for developement.

If you think that I'm reading too much into it or that it's a bit of a sensitive topic, I can remove the last part of my post. 

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, ladysaotome said:

Does anyone know what OG said when he pressed SM's hand to his forehead? I was hoping he'd kiss her hand but whatever he said seemed to move her. ??

OG tells her that he has something to do now and for that he needs, fighting. He lays his head on her hand and says that when he is struggling or in danger or scared , then he will call for Jin Seon-mi

• Like 13

6 minutes ago, ravenbleu said:

OG tells her that he has something to do now and for that he needs, fighting. He lays his head on her hand and says that when he is struggling or in danger or scared , then he will call for Jin Seon-mi.

Thanks. I wondered if that's what he said, since he seemed to be saying 3 things. (struggling, danger, scared)

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, ladysaotome said:

Thanks. I wondered if that's what he said, since he seemed to be saying 3 things. (struggling, danger, scared)

It is one of the important dialogues in this drama so I kinda memorized it. :D(Non-korean and first year k-drama watcher) :D

무섭고(museobgo) is scary, 힘들고(himdeulgo) is hard, as in hard to deal with and 위험해(wiheomhae) is dangerous. 

• Like 10
  • LOL 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, ladysaotome said:

Does anyone know what OG said when he pressed SM's hand to his forehead? I was hoping he'd kiss her hand but whatever he said seemed to move her. ??

SM had been telling OG about how she had seen hints of the future, and how it felt as if the time for things to happen as they had been foretold was drawing near. OG teased SM asking whether she didn't want to live with him for a long, long time, having a sweet, romantic life together. SM responded that of course she did, however, if something were to happen so that one of them disappeared and the other of them survived, that it would be much harder for the one left behind. That she felt the one left behind would be suffering a lot more for a lot longer. That was what convinces OG to help the orphanage doctor/protector of the previous Sam Jang.

He reassures SM that they are going to live that life together, but that he has something that he has to do first, something for which he needed additional strength. Then he takes SM's hand and presses it to his forehead, and he says "When I'm frightened, having a difficult time, or in danger, I will call Jin Seon Mi." It's a reprise of what SM had told OG when he had first put the ring on her, that if he was frightened, having a difficult time, or in danger, that all he has to do is call her name, and she would immediately go to him to protect him. It's also what OG had said in despair when he couldn't find SM because she had gone into the sarcophagus in the dream state.

It is a romantic and touching moment from the confident and strong Monkey King to the one that he loves with all his heart and thus has become his weakness as well as his strength.

edit: Or basically, what @ravenbleu wrote. Sorry, I answered the post before I saw that @ravenbleu had already addressed it. :)

Edited by Guest

Of course the strong and confident monkey is a long goner because of Sunmi lol . He is her everything...

i don't think he can live with Sunmi gone from this world. He suffered so much with. Just one day of sunmi soul being trapped

the monkey king   who loves his alcohol more anything is now applauding Sunmi for breaking his previous collections in front of him like some kind of talent show   "fabulous fabulous" :D

• Like 9
  • LOL 10