[Drama 2017-2018] A Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi 화유기

larus

The orphanage director tells SM about when SM was born.

Woman: Thank you for bringing the baby safely back to me. (to the baby) Baby, you’ve suffered a lot. It’s not time for you to be born yet. I’ve made you travel.

Woman: Jin Seon Mi, you’ve grown up a lot. I was here when you were born as well.
SM: Yes? But you look so young… Ahh, you’re not human.
OG: That’s right. The one who called me to come here with you was this person.
Woman: I am Baek Laura.
SM: Do you know me?
Woman: I know your maternal grandmother very well. You were a special granddaughter that she cherished very much.
SM: You do? But, what is the reason that you called me here?
Woman: That you are not a child of misfortune, i wanted to let you know that. (flashback) There was a sudden outbreak of disease that affected a lot of people. Because it was a small village, the patients overflowed this place. The ones infected died quickly, and this place became a war zone. Among the patients, there was a pregnant woman. From the moment the pregnant woman came in, I could sense it. That a baby who would save lives was going to be born. The mother died, but the baby was born safely, and that baby immediately started saving people’s lives. The disease disappeared in that moment. (end flashbacks) Though no one is aware of this, from the moment you were born, you were born saving lives, Sam Jang.
SM: You’re saying I saved them?
Woman: Your destiny was determined from your birth. Of course, that your blood smells like lotus flower probably started from the time you met your protector.

So, it seems that the disease was possibly born of evil spirits, and SM as SJ was able to vanish the evil spirits with her cries. Good to know that it wasn't meeting OG who turned her into SJ, but that she had been SJ all along. It explains SM's specialness as a child.

Okay - yes - I have a hate and love relationship with MW too - but I have a huge understanding for him too..

OG said it - MW must suffered like that for 1000 years - just one day was too much for OG. ANd even the witch is evil she is not always wrong - she is very good at finding out the sensitive spots and uses them.

The Heaven treats MW like a Dog. They think they could tame him. He once was powerful - he loves a strong deity - and she was pregnant and born his Child - MW must have been happy back than and felt sure - very mighty.

But what happen - the heaven allows his child to get sick ... to the extend to die. But Iron Fan tried to rescue her child (male or female doesn´t matter). She broke the rule of heaven and used souls from human childs to rescue her kid. MW was not around when Iron Fan was punished - and his child - they told him died.

We are sure - that was a lie....

So MW gave up his powerful weapon to the heaven and started to try hard to earn points to become a deity himself - but he needes to watch his love beeing in pain again and again - and she always looses her child again... thats so cruel.

If the Heaven is almighty why couldn´t they save the child? MAybe there where scared about a child beeing born from two so powerful. A deity and a demon.

MW is unloyal - but on the other hand he is loyal - he is so loyal to his one love - and somehow to Doggy too.

I wonder how those two met.

So - MW was sended to earch and the Witch was right - he gave up what was his to let the heaven tame him - for so many years.

I was angry when the GGG was used to tame the powerful Monkey - the Heaven did it before. Looks like the life in heaven is boring so they need something to entertain than. I understand very well why MW goes more and more angry. He just sufferes a lot and got blind to broke the cruel spell from his Love - and now he finds out that his child never was dead... and yes - only the witch told him that. Without her - he would not even know that by now.

So - honestly - I think we have no right to be angry with MW. He will become the Devil again as I see it - but can we blame him?

Heaven tries to play chest - thats how it looks for me - and they are so excited to watch what will happen when the sword  come in the picture again. But damn - this time the chest figures will turn the table. As I hope and wish to see...

• Like 6

Ayooo.... why lah... all this sad stuff every episode like never ending... I don’t mind on bumping into spirits and ghosts in the first 10 episodes.... and fighting the evil spirits but since episode 11, it has been all about getting ready to die, no one to trust, betrayal, and fate to die ....the only consistent is SOG..... WHO continue to live....and love....  SJ... can you have a little bit of faith and not to be too innocent after all what had happened to you. Daaaaaaa..  

• Like 3

In my humble opinion, I’m convinced that MW’s child is JSM/SJ. I think it also wasn’t a coincidence that SJ received the death bell. I think the heavens steers the SJ’s to their ‘required’ paths. SOG will try to convince SJ to ‘rebel’, but most likely she will be the one to make the choice to die. This will ultimately end ‘her punishment ‘ from being MW’s child (the sins of our fathers?).

Again in the end things will turn out fine. Some peps are worried that the end will be in the lines of Goblin. I honestly don’t think it will. Goblin was a lot more tragic. I don’t think there was comedy in each episode as there is in this show. I think SOG, MW and JSM will ultimately open a family restaurant. 

And in regards to ratings dropping, I think it’s because SK is the host country. Nationalistic pride tends to swell up (especially when they win medals) so less watching of shows. 

• Like 6
  • LOL 1

SM: I've never walked this road in a good mood. I've always been alone or the kids would bully(?) me.

OG: Do you like it now?

SM: First of all, didn't she say my fate wasn't your fault. Since that means, it's not your fault no matter what happens to me, so i like it.

OG: Now, you're not scared?

SM: Yes. It seems I'm a bit more important person, and I have powers too so I'm less(?) scared. If I got more powerful, I won't be scared anymore. Like you.

OG: When did I tell you I'm not scared? Because of you, I'm so scared I feel like I'm gonna die.

SM: You said I'm your greatest weakness, right? I hate it. I'm gonna become stronger and I will remove this. After removing this, If you don't find me beautiful at all, run away. But, if you find me even a little bit beautiful, I'm gonna hold on to you tight.

OG: Let's go.

SM: Btw, My grandmom must have known you will come. Whenever I talked about the fairy, she said he'll definitely come back.

OG: Didn't that doctor said she's really close with your grandma?

SM: Yes.

Doc: SOG, you must have something you're more curious about though.

SM: I'm sorry. You should have leave work first,

HJ: It's ok. I'm about to go too. Oh. You got it back.

SM: What?

HJ: The ring. Son must have gave it back. I just said one thing to him. No matter how severe the objection is. if you love someone, you should take her away. Let's go.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 11

26 minutes ago, kjesin said:

MW: Isn't there a very simple way to become even stronger than I used to be?

MS: What way?

MW: SJ. I just have to catch and eat SJ.

MS: But, isn't there the great sage?

MW: I just have to remove GGG. If I remove the GGG I gave, I can get rid of SOG from SJ's side. If they deceived me for a thousand years, why would there be things I can't do?

Does MW still believe that OG is in love with SJ just because he's wearing the GGG?? Even if you removed that GGG, OG will still kick your @$$ if you put his girl in danger. 

• Like 8

I wonder if a twist this time is OG, SM/SJ and MW and other gods and deities band together to stop the world ending but also teach heaven a lesson over their own selfishness in playing with lives? It would be interesting to see that because I think that the Heavens have had far to long to play with peoples lives. I am not saying that those that do wrong should not get some form of punishment even those who are immortal and are powerful but I feel that at some point even heaven needs to take a step back because with great power comes arrogance and detachment to remember that their way may not be the only way to fix a problem or that those that do wrong do not have to suffer for eternity for that wrong if they have at some point learned their lesson and changed for the good. 

That is why I say I would love to see MW , OG , SJ and the rest not only stop the end of the world but also be able to deal with heaven and be with the ones they love at the end. Should be interesting to see where the Hong Sisters are going with this story.

• Like 13

20 minutes ago, annie1234 said:

Does MW still believe that OG is in love with SJ just because he's wearing the GGG?? Even if you removed that GGG, OG will still kick your @$$ if you put his girl in danger. 

Honsetly  - I just think he don´t care. The betrayel was too big.

• Like 2

Shop Owner: Without that sword, can SJ be safe?

SBR: I think so. But that(sword) definitely won't disappear.

SO: What if SOG won't use that sword?

SBR: If he wants to protect SJ without that sword, the great sage will have to sacrifice his life.

OG: The sword that I will have to kill SJ with, don't appear in this world again.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 17

If heaven wants SJ/SM to sacrifice to save the world, why would they sent the great sage equal to heaven as her protector? It's heaven mistake to make OG as SM protector, he will definitely gonna fight back heaven because he want to save SM. I kind of sad when i watch the scene where Sun Mi looks back to the doctor and the doctor full of tears with the sad looks, look to Sun Mi, seeing that Sun Mi knows the sadness of her dead in future. I think Sun Mi knows she is the one who gonna die that makes her a lil bit less scary of her being OG killer. OG name Equal to heaven made me believe he will success fight their fate and save SM and the world at the same time. This time the Samjang protector is not someone that heaven can dictated, so lets believe in our super powerful The Great Sage Equal to Heaven Son Oh Gong

• Like 11

Random thought.... the doctor was the previous guardian to the previous SJ. 

And it seems that after she killed the previous SJ, she later on was given charge of the next SJ. 

Meaning the flashback scenes with her taking care of baby SM. 

So makes me think that the baby that just randomly showed up for OG might be the next SJ.

When the doctor said it wasn't time yet... maybe she meant that the baby shouldn't have shown up until after OG had killed SJ???

Thinking aloud.... 

People are talking about Goblin, but I'm getting Fushigi Yuuigi vibes (priestesses selected to gather together a group of people to perform a ceremony to bring to life a god who will then devour the priestesses something about preventing chaos).

Also. :) IF there is a happy ending to this series and a satisfying one... I'm planning to buy it. That's a bigger deal than ratings which are pretty meaningless tbh when you consider how many people following the series are not watching it live. 

• Like 9

So basically more and more theories unfold and develop the story. I agree to say that JSM is a special SJ, as in the doomsday will be more likely to happen in this present time. And my next guess is JSM carries the mark of MW & PIF child. The doctor's proffession is very suitable that she would have to kill babies that would became SJ in the future. So the fates of JSM & PIF haven't intertwine yet. But she returns to her father after all. That's pretty wild, but at this point anything is possible. 

The Skyworld is petty. I dislike this deities. They're playing with other's fates. Not nice. But a proverbs said that Heaven works in mysterious ways. I just truly hope that the end result is a happy ending. Sigh....

Ep. 16 felt like a bridge for climax of the last 4eps. The whole story significantly progress and because this is a fantasy after all, all logics just had to fly out the window and we should just accept whatev happens throughout the eps.

About the baby, i believe the Doc is sending a soul. As an immortal, or deity in any sort, i guess she must've capable of something. 

And my other theories that KDS is going to be a bad president that caused war is also true. At first i felt a tiniest sympathy towards ASN. That maybe she was used as a tool and then discarded. But ladies, honestly she did that to herself. She keeps on manipulating people and comes to the wrong person. Serves her right because of her all ill intentions.

And i like JSM smiles more and more. Shows a very broad changes of her somber self on earlier episodes. And she could be feisty. She sure has a temper.. hahaha..

The ending this time, thankfully, not so much of a cliffhanger. This is a solid and resolved ending. 50 will never sacrifice JSM for whatever the price would be.

I was a bit surprised they put Jonathan as a source of info this time. Looked a bit misplaced but maybe he became more used to supernatural world due to his experience when he was younger.

I wonder why the writers decided to steer further from the original JTTW. don't get me wrong, refreshment and romance are warmly welcomed. But sometimes i prefer predictability rather than just patching up mysteries here and there. 

All in all, I hope the rating recovers and the next episodes will be fully anticipated and offer us stronger insights of JSM's birth secret.

• Like 10

3 hours ago, corleone said:

I think MW's child is the prof. coz his heart is not pure though he wants to appear to be one in the public..just like MW..a bit selfish.

SM should be from the sacret bloodline...

and why..of all ppl/demon...ASY knows a lot about a lot of things...

Professor KDS ia a human being (even though he goes from a rotten family line he is still a human being) and MW's child can't be human. His mother was a Godness and his father is a demon. No human can be born from such alliance 

• Like 5

I just think OG will let the world burn down because this fate to save the world is a bunch of BS made by the heavens. Don't they have some kind of powers up there too? Are they that weak to win against hell? 

Using someone else who didn't do anything wrong to be a sacrificial pig is ridiculous! I should join OG and burn heaven and hell with him. I really hope OG sacrifice heaven for real to end the gates of hell. So the continuation of SJ will end. 

OG, please speed up your romance with SM in the next few episodes so if anything happens to y'all, us fans will remember the wonderful moments y'all had! That includes a real wedding and a bed scene. 

• Like 4

imo the conversation OG had with the doctor on the bridge is quite telling...

when she tells him that he can escape suffering like she did because of the GGG, he replies:

“Because I have this on, I can’t begin to fathom what kind and how great the suffering would be after this disappears. I’m…more afraid of that.”

I may be looking too deep into things like I usually do though. lol

• Like 17
  • Sad 1

So, have not watched the recent episodes, but SM has gained powers from ASN, right? Like she could break the glass when angry. What other powers did she gain? Did we see any more?

I was thinking, that perhaps her gained powers will actually help her. As SJ, she is not different from the previous one, human and with a gift to save lives. But SM has gained sthg that the previous SJ probably did not have - could it be that ASN's powers will help her in the end? If her body is to contain the evil souls, perhaps she can re-expel them or do sthg with them that only a priestess could do? Just a random thought...

• Like 10

59 minutes ago, butterflyeffect said:

imo the conversation OG had with the doctor on the bridge is quite telling...

when she tells him that he can escape suffering like she did because of the GGG, he replies:

“Because I have this on, I can’t begin to fathom what kind and how great the suffering would be after this disappears. I’m…more afraid of that.”

I may be looking too deep into things like I usually do though. lol

Did she mean that once SJ dies he wouldn't suffer because she thinks his love isn't genuine and it's only due to the GGG or am I interpreting it wrong lol

• Like 4

1 hour ago, juju84 said:

I think I know who MW's son is. 

It's quite obvious actually when you think about it. And very ironic in a cruel way. 

I like this theory much better than the one where Samjang is the daughter of MW. Also he did say son.

Although does anybody wonder how it took him 1000 years to start wondering about his child's fate? _(:з」∠)_

I'm slightly dissatisfied with the pacing of this week's episodes, not because there's a problem in the episodes per se but because one problem has been solved but the second episode mainly consisted of events leading up to the next big problem and nothing really happened _(:з」∠)_ I felt so sorry for the doctor who killed her lover and suffered in loneliness until now, who knows how many years or maybe even millenias have passed since then. Couldn't she have commited suicide earlier though? Has she even been punished with immortality until the next SJ is born?

Also I do wonder whether OG's feelings really will disspear now if the GGG is removed. Last week I thought it would be removed this week and we'll see them coming to terms with a more independent and natural OG who still loves SJ in his own way, but no _(:з」∠)_

Edited by bebebisous33
don't quote videos, gifs and pictures. Remove these next time
  • Like 3