[Drama 2017-2018] A Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi 화유기

larus

Agree with you about Seung gi, he was an average actor before king 2 hearts. i remembered, when lee seung gi was casted with Hajiwon in the king 2 hearts, I doubted him. I expected HAjiwon to carry the drama, but it turns out it will be his breakthrough role as an actor. He was the core of the drama king 2 hearts. And he was brilliant. And later I found out he was very close to veteran actors like Youn-yuh jung of tvn youns kitchen and Lee seon-jae. That explains his improvement in acting since 2012. 

ABOUT Oh yeon seo's performance... I don't get the negative comments. She really nailed her character as jin sun mi. Sometimes she is too passive making it to be a realistic portrayal of her character. Imagine a human dealing with demons, deities, etc. So it's natural that  the nature of jin sun mi to become passive. And it that area Oh yeon seo's performance is brilliant. 

• Like 17

I don't get those comments either :D

as OYS said that her character is very serious and she is always left clueless with the demons world other than being used as the bait.

as for Seunggi, i 've always regard him as a great actor. It's just that his role is more of boyish character except King2 Hearts. He also have puppyish image and the millitary time def washed away that image. He is like more seasoned and totally hot now

• Like 11

18 hours ago, stroppyse said:

[...]

Do you think it's too much to hope for a scene where OG stands up, dumping ASN on the ground? :D Just saying. I would enjoy watching that scene anyway...

@stroppyse I can see it now:

"Oy, that seat doesn't belong to you. (push) Pssh, just how much luxury does a possessed zombie dare to grasp for?"

18 hours ago, stargazer187 said:

Sorry guys for the bad translations, what else can I do aside using it for some hints. Lol

@Zelda oohh.. we play that game a lot when I was still a high schooler. It is crazy but fun!

[...]

@stargazer187, that was a lot of fun last night(my time)! :D If I made a Hwayugi-themed Mad Lib would anyone be interested in playing? As long as you understand English parts of speech, great language skills are not necessary.

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

1 hour ago, haymochi said:

A new bts

http://m.tv.naver.com/v/2680447

Do i need to say more? -_-<_<

At this point, I have no expectations at all for BTS. Let's just enjoy the story. 

1 hour ago, haymochi said:

samjang role is like that. Should she act like Hongnan? 

original.gif

Should she act like this? I believe OG will get a heart attack. :D

• Like 5
  • LOL 17

36 minutes ago, haymochi said:

I son't get those comments either :D

as OYS said that her character is very serious and she is always left clueless with the demons world other than being used as the bait.

as for Seunggi, i 've always regard him as a great actor. It's just that his role is more of boyish character except King2 Hearts. He also have puppyish image and the millitary time def washed away that image. He is like more seasoned and totally hot now

Yes I agree. OYS character is about a clueless woman who only knows how to protect herself since LSG's character abandoned her. Though some may be lacking for me she is portraying her character well. She is too trusting and overwhelmed that she has people or in her case demons to be by her side now.

9 minutes ago, annie1234 said:

At this point, I have no expectations at all for BTS. Let's just enjoy the story. 

original.gif

Should she act like this? I believe OG will get a heart attack. :D

I love her in this drama too! 

• Like 10

3 hours ago, annie1234 said:

Thanks for posting this. Hoping that HCY

Spoiler

will sing the OST when he performs at the  Pyeongchang Olympics - he's scheduled to perform on 22 February at the after-medal ceremony :) 

Edited by bebebisous33
don't quote videos, gifs and pictures. Remove these next time
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, haymochi said:

Og already fell too deep in love

In the beginning it's alwyas him forcing his love on her (not in a bad way) but:

1. He wanted to learn what she likes

2. He saved her from the world where she dies when he can just leave her there and their contract will be finished.

3. He felt loving her was so painful

4 . He let go of his biggest desire: alcohol just for a small happiness of hers

5. Despite sad and heartbroken, he let go for her happiness sake to live normally 

6. He apologized sincerely (Can you imagine this prideful Great Sage apologizing to a mere human?)

7. He doesn't need love and respect from anyone except her haha

This is what i mean but i'm not gonna think so negatively anymore .

Sigh...

2. how can he leave her when neither ggg nor protection clause will allow it? she did take his name while dying in the photograph

• Like 2

I just have a random thoughts lol what if we get a ridiculous twist that will switch SOG - JSM body just for the laughs that will stay for an episode or two lol that would be a riot :lol:

Abt LSG acting i rmbr cringing at his earlier dramas like BL and MGIAG . He tends to overreact at times there lol but i rly like his crying scene though . And yeah after K2H he rly up his acting chops . He is a great actor now . Abt OYS though i feel like she portray her role well as JSM i just feel like the writers should just give her bigger character development but even now i rly dig her i totaly love the emotions in her eyes . ~~ especially shes not a poor leading lady with brand new phone lol and her character for me is very strong in a sense that she became successful even with those circumstances. U dont neef to be physically strong for to be called STRONG anyway.  -_-

• Like 8

I think my favourite part of Episode 12 must have been when the shaman told OG that ultimately she was after him. And then his response... "Ah... Suddenly I'm so popular!" LOL. 

I especially love his response here and the set up leading towards it because in the original Journey to the West, every female demon en route that ever lived was throwing herself onto Tripitaka. This role reversal is just a hoot. Now here we have female spirits wanting Samjang's hold over OG because it's the Great Sage they want.  Or so they say anyway. Whatever their intentions really are, it's Monkey that they're trying to seduce and that for me is hilarious. I mean, why wouldn't they? It's LSG for goodness sake!

But more importantly, in JTTW, the female demons didn't particularly look like demons so Master and disciple would clash. Monkey would never be fooled even if Tripitaka was. 

It is frustrating but probably not beyond the pale for the Demon King to cause trouble for the OTP. He is after all, the ultimate deal broker (Lucifer etc) and he wants in on whatever short-term benefits he can get to get him closer to the love of his life. I think he's forgotten though that it was something he did that caused his lady love to be in the quandary that she's in right now. I did expect a bit more from him as he's been acting a bit more sensibly of late and now that he sees a chance to interact with his lady love, he's completely lost the plot. What I don't like too are his one-sided misleading comments about OG. Why SM goes to him for advice despite his general untrustworthiness baffles me as well.

I was missing the bull statue in the last episode and voila... my prayers were answered and OG gave it a  right royal pummelling with his foot. :D MW returns the favour by spitting on Monkey's statue. :lol:Whatever I think of Ma Wang as a thorough scoundrel, there is no doubt that the bromance between the Demon and the Monkey is one of the highlights of every episode. Their verbal oneupmanship takes the cake in this episode when they start arguing about who caused what poop first. And then MW's comment about Poop #1 criticising Poop #2 hits the heights of hilarity in terms of banter. I cracked up... man I did I need it! Everything's been so deadly serious of late. Still it's nice and mature of MW to take some responsibility and ownership. :D

While I don't expect SM to be Black Widow or Captain Marvel, I would prefer her not to be written to be purely as a reactive character. I know that Tripitaka in the original was rather useless for the most part, but he was a monk with certain views about life and death. Sweet as he may be, I also object to OG treating her like porcelain... she's a lot stronger than she looks and he really shouldn't hide everything from her just because he doesn't want her upset. After all she's an adult female who managed to look after herself quite well for years and years while he was goofing off elsewhere.

@bebebisous33  I don't know how much of the show is patterned after Homer's Odyssey but your analysis is interesting especially when considering the choice of mortality over immortality etc which I expect will come into play. I've always thought that the show was titled A Korean Odyssey because Stephen Chow's adaptations of Journey to the West was called A Chinese Odyssey so perhaps this drama owes a lot more to that than even the novel.

• Like 14

Lee El Transforms Into A Charismatic Cocktail Bar Owner In “Hwayugi”

Lee-El-5-e1518055387395.jpg

harisma queen Lee El has transformed into the boss of a cocktail bar in newest “Hwayugi” stills.

Lee El plays Secretary Ma in the drama, Woo Ma Wang’s (played by Cha Seung Won) chilly, fierce right-hand woman, known for her unwavering loyalty to her boss. However, in revealed stills from the upcoming episode, rather than serving a boss, she becomes one herself, and runs Fairy Ha’s (Sung Hyuk) cocktail bar. With her signature alluring red lips and keen fashion sense, she stands impressively behind the bar.

From the beginning of the drama, Secretary Ma has stayed by Cha Seung Won’s side and carried out his bidding, whether it be nonchalantly offering to kill anyone who bothered him, deleting unflattering selfies of her boss from fans’ phones, or flawlessly executing the dealings of Lucifer Entertainment. Throughout the drama, Lee El’s charisma has never lost to Cha Seung Won’s, making her the perfect person for their fierce duo.

more https://www.soompi.com/2018/02/07/lee-el-transforms-charismatic-cocktail-bar-owner-hwayugi/

• Like 5
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 3

6 Reasons Why We’re Extremely Nervous After “Hwayugi” Episodes 11 And 12

Oh-Yeon-Seo-Lee-Seung-Gi-Lee-Se-Young-e1

If we thought life was as complicated as it could get for the characters of “Hwayugi,” we were wrong. Because this:

1. The possibility of Sun Mi killing Oh Gong

Thanks to the Death Bell, we’ve known that Son Oh Gong (Lee Seung Gi) and Jin Sun Mi (Oh Yeon Seo) share a deadly fate in which one of them will cause the other’s death. And with the Geumganggo bracelet causing Oh Gong to love Sun Mi unconditionally, it is implausible that he would harm her.

2. The equally likely possibility of Oh Gong killing Sun Mi

But then again, this is the Great Sage we’re talking about, and if anyone can wiggle his way out of the spell of a magical bracelet, it’s him.

Cha-Seung-Won-1-e1518002624197.jpg

3. The scheming priestess

As if the relationship woes weren’t enough, we now have the fate of the world to worry about as well, after Sun Mi and Secretary Ma accidentally unearth the spirit of a powerful priestess called an Asanyeo. And to add insult to injury, this sorceress has taken over the body of our formerly sweet, beloved zombie Bu Ja (Lee Se Young).

more

https://www.soompi.com/2018/02/07/6-reasons-extremely-nervous-hwayugi-episodes-11-12/

• Like 7
  • Thanks 6

On 2/7/2018 at 12:37 AM, jinsunmi said:

At least, in CITT i know that the team really appreciate her, sending her a food truck during MSG,

saying nice things about her in their instagram...but here in hwayugi she is ignored in her own drama,

no official poster with LSG, no bts, her screentime...

I also think it's weird that we never see her own bts even when there is one,

the camera is hiding her face (wedding) WHY???

I know YG want their own actor to shine but why the lead actress is ignored? 

i’m really mad that oh yoen seo is nowhere to be seen in bts in her own drama . i hope the pd’s will fix this becuase lot of fans are requesting for more otp bts.we have 8 more episodes , who knows we might get flooded with oys content going forward . and lee seyong say buja is gone forever so i guess Asy will stick longer than i thought ? 

the text preveiew sound good . i hope after hearing mawangs absurd request to let oh gong marry evil ah sonyoe sunmi will fight for her man . oh gong desparately want’s her to show that she cares .  and we have to thank jonathan for the jelous kiss , book demon for the propper kiss and now ASy for a real proposal to bind them forever . though we hate whoever come between the otp they ultimately push the otp towards each other . 

and hopefully ratings won’t be affected too much by other show’s in the same timeslot

• Like 11