[Drama 2017-2018] A Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi 화유기

larus

Are they serious?? 

a new bts without the lead actress and we even have a little interview of LSY?

but we never had one with OYS, you know the lead actress...

(i saw that this drama is made by Studio dragon/TvN, aka the people who made a scandal with the awful adaptation of a webtoon, they also "forgot" they had a lead actor...)

and guess what movie will be released in March just after Hwayugi ?

yes, a movie from the same webtoon with her as the lead actress.

They really don't want to support her.

• Like 2
  • Sad 7
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, jinsunmi said:

Are they serious?? 

(i saw that this drama is made by Studio dragon/TvN, aka the people who made a scandal with the awful adaptation of a webtoon, they also "forgot" they had a lead actor...)

Uuuurg i'm so upset. She doesn't have anything to do with that matter ... The movie even tried auditioning Seol's role but in the end chose OYS cos she is the most suitable actress that match the webtoon

I was so happy that she gets to work with amazing and very well loved actors like LSG and CSW but this just made feel  sad 

Guess what we will see soon? Lee se Young as lead in upcoming tvn drama. 

i've seen this pattern from them lol

• Like 4
  • Sad 5

30 minutes ago, jinsunmi said:

Are they serious?? 

I second that! 

This is really strange ..i mean Lsy who is not even the main cast / in the advertised poster  has her own segment of interview..i guess her bts is already twice (with LHK/PK bts) 

but OYS???? None? 

What is her role exactly in this drama? 

For God’s sake she is the LEAD, The MAIN actress who is supposed to be promoted over and over and vice versa ..why it seems to me that they dont want her to be exposed or promoted although she’s the main cast? 

.I am not OYS’s fan so nothing personal, but i feel that its just really unfair for her, not to mention she got bashed from those haters for portraying weak character( accordingto those haters)..tbh, this is the first time in my journey as an avid kdrama fan to see such weird and strange thing happens where the lead actress has not got the chance to appear in the BTS nor got interviewed (like LSY).

i really really hope there will be a twist for our samjang’s character so that people will not take her character for granted or continue to label her as damsel in distress

• Like 10

9 minutes ago, haymochi said:

Uuuurg i'm so upset. She doesn't have anything to do with that matter ... The movie even tried auditioning Seol's role but in the end chose OYS cos she is the most suitable actress that match the webtoon

I was so happy that she gets to work with amazing and very well loved actors like LSG and CSW but this just made feel  sad 

Guess what we will see soon? Lee se Young as lead in upcoming tvn drama. 

i've seen this pattern from them lol

LSY? you can also add CSW lol

Ahem...at least, they are not re-filming her scenes with the other actress behind her back..:wacko:

8 minutes ago, jinsunmi said:

LSY? you can also add CSW lol

Ahem...at least, they are not re-filming her scenes with the other actress behind her back..:wacko:

Naah i don't think the pd and Hong Sisters are that bad. They have their good reputations

This happen before in CITT. The 2 nd male lead scenes replaced the male

lead. The male lead was even cut off from everything (photobooks,etc).

Guess what? The 2nd male lead was in fact offered a male lead role

in tvn upcoming drama. 

Sorry as OYS fan i may sound really bitter and resentful

• Like 6

@carolinedl

@stroppyse @maddymappo @stargazer187 @RobinM @40somethingahjumma @evie7 @kaoriharang

In my last post, I used Calypso in order to underline ASN's worth in the story. She is the one who makes Odysseus/Ulysse realize what life really means. Immortality as such has no real value, if you are captive on an island and nothing is happening there. It is indeed more a punishment: loneliness and boredom. In opposition, SOG has experienced pain and even heartache, yet he didn't want SJ to remove the GGG as he has learnt to appreciate the good sides of love. SOG learnt that even a loved one can hurt you but it didn't happen with a malice intent. In other words, SOG has finally accepted his love for SJ with all the risks and pain that he might be facing in the future. So now, we have a villain, ASN, who wants to have SOG as her husband.

Interesting is that ASN is connected to the red rose. The red rose usually signifies beauty, faith, wisdom, sensuality, timelessness and deep, passionate and unshared love. As you can notice, the red rose is associated to positive qualities. Since ASN is the new big villain, I believe that the deep, passionate and unshared love should be perceived as something pejorative. Her passion and exclusivity means that she won't accept anyone by SOG's side, not even family or friends. I link this to selfishness and self-centerness.

Nevertheless I couldn't help thinking of the poem written by Ronsard "Mignonne, allons voir si la rose" (1553: My sweet, let us see whether the rose...), where the poet compared a young woman to a rose. In the first strophe, he is describing the youthful radiance (rose = girl, both are young and glowing), in the second strophe he notes the damage caused by the time (old-age) and in the last strophe, he gives the advice to enjoy her youth. In other words, the rose is linked to temporality and not immortality. Even JSR/BJ compared herself to flowers and wanted to die by leaving a good image of herself. She thinks similar to Ronsard.

Nonetheless BJ has something in common with ASN: both view themselves as flowers. JSR is connecting the rose and flowers to temporality, whereas ASN has the other perception in mind: rose as a symbol of intemporality. Just like BJ who used perfume to cover up her rotten body, ASN uses the rose scent to cover her true nature too: she is actually a mummy in a sarcophagus. She is no longer the rose and the beauty she presents to the world. That's why professor Kang couldn't see the face of the priestess. She is just borrowing BJ's face and body. Her true target is SJ's body as she is still a living human. In Old Egypt, the mummification was a tool to make sure that the deceased would be able to live in the afterlife. Important is to underline that the organs were removed. Hence ASN has no longer a heart or a brain. That's why she can manipulate the minds of humans and she is so cruel and ruthless in my opinion. To conclude, ASN is actually a dead person who has never accepted to be confined in a sarcophagus. She wanted to be immortal like gods. For her, power can secure her immortality from my point of view. She wants SOG as husband as he is powerful and would give her the immortality she is seeking. But we all saw that ASN needs human sacrifices in order to live. SJ's special blood would give her special powers. She would get power and immortality without restraint. However, BJ differs so much from ASN as she is innocent, pure and selfless. She accepts her second death, she refuses to become an evil demon. She wants to remain a good person... immortality is not what she is seeking. She accepted her fate from the start, even if her death was unfair. She even didn't seek revenge. We can observe the contrast between ASN and BJ.

Finally, the scent of a rose is not really able to cover up stank and evil as you can only get the fragrance, when the flower is young and fresh. She needs blood for her spells.        

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, estrellita1122 said:

@haymochi As an OYS fan i understand You. I am not use to see this happening to OYS on her on drama. I mean even on Here comes oh Ja Ryon(she had that wgm scandal) she still had bts with  lead actor  but this drama we only had one bts with her on it 

Even when she is on the scene together, she is just cut out...

• Like 2
  • Sad 6

iis all this over reaction because OYS is missing from bts??? seriously?

look at the drama.. she has her scenes.. people stop over reacting .. and it is no where close to citt where everything was super blatant.. OYS has her role..enough scenes and enough lines.. big deal if one bts doesn't have her..  atleast in this drama all characters are prominent.. every one gets a few seconds of stardom except seungi (but face it.. his character is at the center of the drama)

• Like 6

1 hour ago, chunkyung_8690 said:

I second that! 

This is really strange ..i mean Lsy who is not even the main cast / in the advertised poster  has her own segment of interview..i guess her bts is already twice (with LHK/PK bts) 

but OYS???? None? 

What is her role exactly in this drama? 

For God’s sake she is the LEAD, The MAIN actress who is supposed to be promoted over and over and vice versa ..why it seems to me that they dont want her to be exposed or promoted although she’s the main cast? 

.I am not OYS’s fan so nothing personal, but i feel that its just really unfair for her, not to mention she got bashed from those haters for portraying weak character( accordingto those haters)..tbh, this is the first time in my journey as an avid kdrama fan to see such weird and strange thing happens where the lead actress has not got the chance to appear in the BTS nor got interviewed (like LSY).

i really really hope there will be a twist for our samjang’s character so that people will not take her character for granted or continue to label her as damsel in distress

I hope you're right and we're just overacting and over analyzing ^^ People on Naver are questioning the same things too .. she is missing from almost all the bts scenes though.. even though she is there. However I should get used to it and keep quiet.

Back to the drama...some people say the preview is going to be out tonight ar 10 pm.. guess we will see if OG lose or win

Buja also needs to come back for her mum at least

• Like 10

8 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Okay, sneaking this one in. Here is a translation of the text preview.

In order to quickly send off Ah Sa Nyeo who had been unjustly killed a thousand years ago just before her wedding, Ma Wang tries to convince Sun Mi let Oh Gong get married. However, to an upset Seon Mi who thinks that Oh Gong’s wedding is inevitable, Oh Gong makes a sincere proposal of a “marriage” contract that can never be broken. Meanwhile, Ah Sa Nyeo, in order to get Oh Gong, gets closer to Ma Wang…

It seems that Ah Sa Nyeo, having been thwarted in her wedding a thousand years ago now wants OG, and MW actually tries to get SM to release OG so he can get married. He may have convinced SM that OG has to marry ASN. However, OG may not be as possessed by ASN as she thinks he is, since he proposes to SM instead.  It promises to be another interesting episode coming up. :) I'm just happy that OG may not be under ASN's spell after all, even if MW tries a bit of trickery to get OG married off to her. 

You’re really awesome! :) I keep  checking their YouTube channel for the new preview but there was  no release till now.

I wonder what kind of marriage proposal is that. Might be the great sage will cross the line between man and  woman. A union of soul between human and immortal ( the monkey king will go bananas if this happens).I doubt MW motives, asking SM to release OG from her bind? another provocation? Perhaps MW wants to knows the depth of SM’s affection for the monkey king. MW is very eager to become deity. He will not conspire with ASN. That’s a 1000 steps back to become deity 

• Like 10

11 hours ago, jinsunmi said:

Are they serious?? 

Really? I was going to make it a point not to watch anything by that production company after that fiasco they made forgetting about the male lead. I'm happy I'm just finding out now because I'm enjoying this one, there is no way I'll drop it now.:tongue: It does look like they are forgetting about SJ. I hope they are not going to be so petty in another drama.  @stargazer187 Thanks for the google tran of that article, at least we know that SJ will take some action and they won't forget about her completely.

The nasty comments about OYS don't surprise me since this happens all of the time by people on blogs that get it w/the lead actress. They start w/the no chemistry but it's not oppas fault etc.. It's not just this drama, it always boggles my mind since it's mostly woman making these comments:o I don't get it but it is just better to stay away from them and just play in our own backyard chingus.

Edited by evie7
  • Like 4

Guys, true that I want more OYS and LSG stuff from the BTS, but generally I think the BTS is a mess ? but in the drama OYS has her screentime and the drama comments actually ship OYS and LSG's characters a lot? But this drama has lets not forget many great actors who are capable of taking lead roles and have done so before, each, so obviously OYS has to share some of her screen time, LSG is a different case since he is the center of the drama and CSW is a big senior accepting a secondary role so they also give him a lot of screentime. Also, it's all about the script, OYS knew what she got into and LSY actually has a big storyline here and most comments on Naver were saying she is cute but they want to see the main couple so I don't think we should worry so much yet.

• Like 8

I found out that OYS used to be in a girl group and now I want a Hwayugi ost with LSG and OYS singing duet. Or at least LSG should sing an ost coz this

His voice is so beautiful. AND THIS SONG IS LIFE. :heart:

I'm thinking of making a MV with this song. Should I? Only on weekend though, coz I have recently started working so I'm no longer free to and make MVs and watch dramas everyday (Good old times...)

Also, I really really hope my mental state will be fine enough this Sat and Sunday nights so that I can do translations. I love doing translations, sharing the Joys and Drama FEELS with you guys. Even though I don't write, I check this forum everyday. :wub:

P.S.- I LOVE OH YEON SEO. Ignore the people complaining about her character and acting. People used to complain that Kim Go Eun's character was too childish and cutesy in Goblin (She was acting as an 18 years old girl...). Now with OYS, it's opposite. They will never be satisfied. Nothing will be good enough for people like them coz that's what all they do, complain.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2