[Drama 2017-2018] A Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi 화유기

larus

11 hours ago, carolinedl said:

I hve been thinking a lot about The Odyssey too (and mentioned it here once) so happy to have read your post a few days back @bebebisous33. It took me a while to answer as I have yet to see episode 12... I was going to wait till I see both episodes but I have been taking my time so that I don't get too stressed with that annoying ending :tongue:

One aspect I would add to your already excellent post is that Ulysses (Or Odysseus) refused Calypso's gift so to speak, that is immortality. By staying with her, he would have become immortal. And yet he chose to remain human, thus mortal, and returned to Penelope. So the whole mortal/immortal dilemma is certainly there.

Also, the whole seduction by possessed Buja made me think of the episode in The Odyssey with the sirens. So perhaps, like Ulysses, OG protected himself? Perhaps the GGG is his protection? Anyway, I won't add more because I first need to wtahc episode 12...

Thanks for pointing out one aspect I had missed. Ulysse/Odysseus chose mortality over immortality and it was not just out of love. We have to imagine Calypso's loneliness on her island. She is a prisoner herself so that we can say that she gave up her freedom for her immortality. Yet she is not just lonely, she is also bored as each day looks the same. Nothing new happens there, it was as if she was living out of the world and the time. That's why she wanted Ulysse by her side, she wanted to feel less lonely and break the routine of her daily life. In other words, Calypso is not really living. So if we had to compare her to the priestess Ah Sa Nyeo,  we could see two denominators:

- her solitary confinement : she lived for 1000 years under a tree and saw no one. She had no real life like Calypso.

- her need to be loved, have someone by her side: to end her loneliness.

And since we know that Calypso failed to convince Ulysse, we can imagine that it will happen the same to ASN. 

That ending was not annoying at all.:wink: I guess, people got upset that Ah Sa Nyeo was able to trick SOG and he fell under her spell. But we shouldn't forget that ASN targeted his head therefore he got red eyes. But it was not upsetting at all for me, as with her last move Ah Sa Nyeo made a huge mistake. She believes that the GGG is controlling SOG's mind. she thought that by controlling SOG's mind, she has power over SOG. But we were told much earlier that this GGG is particular, as it controls his heart. Hence in reality, ASN has no real control over SOG. The moment SJ notices his change and even tries to disobey him, the GGG will be reactivated and his heart and love for SJ/SM will release him from the spell. While the GGG in the episode 11 made SOG realize that with this instrument, SJ could really kill him, the incident with ASN will have the opposite effect: the GGG saved his life as he could escape ASN's control. He gets aware of the positive and negative aspects of the GGG. He will have one more reason for wishing to keep the GGG. 

I am sure like others that once ASN is defeated by SOG/SJ, she will look for the future president, professor Kang, since the sarcophagus is in his home. The latter is someone obsessed with power. Striking is that BJ's smell (her rotting corpse) is a vizualisation of Professor Kang's true nature. On the outside, he looks like the perfect man but deep down, he is rotten to the core. The more he tries to hide his rotten nature, the stronger BJ stank. So his "reunion" with ASN will be "perfect", as the rose scent will cover up his true nature. 

@stroppyse @maddymappo @stargazer187 @RobinM (nice to see you here) @40somethingahjumma @evie7 @kaoriharang

• Like 16

Why is Mawang like that? I guess demon is bound to be selfish somehow. I'm still upset that not a single of them holdseven  a tiny bit consideration towards Samjang.

I hope she be a badass this time and told ASN off who is the boss this time

• Like 12

9 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

Okay, sneaking this one in. Here is a translation of the text preview.

In order to quickly send off Ah Sa Nyeo who had been unjustly killed a thousand years ago just before her wedding, Ma Wang tries to convince Sun Mi let Oh Gong get married. However, to an upset Seon Mi who thinks that Oh Gong’s wedding is inevitable, Oh Gong makes a sincere proposal of a “marriage” contract that can never be broken. Meanwhile, Ah Sa Nyeo, in order to get Oh Gong, gets closer to Ma Wang…

It seems that Ah Sa Nyeo, having been thwarted in her wedding a thousand years ago now wants OG, and MW actually tries to get SM to release OG so he can get married. He may have convinced SM that OG has to marry ASN. However, OG may not be as possessed by ASN as she thinks he is, since he proposes to SM instead.  It promises to be another interesting episode coming up. :) I'm just happy that OG may not be under ASN's spell after all, even if MW tries a bit of trickery to get OG married off to her. 

So ASN now wanted SOG probably is because she wants to fulfil the wedding that was suppose to take place 1000 years ago. But lucky SOG still has his heart for JSM. its a good thing that GGG is not taken off. like what others speculate, GGG actually kind of helped them.

Probably ep 14 we will see ASN seducing MW and used MW weakness for the iron fan lady to get MW to do things for her.

• Like 12

14 minutes ago, haymochi said:

Why is Mawang like that? I guess demon is bound to be selfish somehow. I'm still upset that not a single of them holdseven  a tiny bit consideration towards Samjang.

I hope she be a badass this time and told ASN off who is the boss this time

Yes, i thought this way too. MW is always using SM and never consider her feelings which is kinda annoying. SM is actually quite pitiful, Seems like only SOG consider her feelings. Not letting her know its actually a death bell because it will make her sad for a longer period. 

• Like 8

She was a little bit of a bad richard simmons when she told the Octopus lech he wouldn't need to worry a  about SOG because she was perfectly capable of Making Takoyaki her self  and then walked out like boss. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 6

Watch: Laughter Never Leaves The Set Of “Hwayugi” As Cast Brings Humor To Their Scenes

Lee-Se-Young-Cha-Seung-Won-Lee-Seung-Gi.

tvN’s weekend drama “Hwayugi” has shared a new making video that shows the actors hard at work but having fun at the same time.

First, Lee Se Young and Lee Seung Gi can be seen filming a scene together. When asked if her character Jin Bu Ja will return, as her body was possessed by a priestess in the most recent episode, Lee Se Young says, “Bu Ja won’t be coming back, because I ate her.” Asked what will happen to P.K. (Lee Hong Ki) then, she replies, “Even I don’t know what this feeling is inside of me, but it can’t be helped, she’s gone.” However, she ends the short interview with, “But something is strange,” leaving more questions to be answered.

Next, Lee Seung Gi, Cha Seung Won and Lee El are filming a scene together where Son Oh Gong is trying to motivate Ma Wang to stay alive and return to his normal self. Cha Seung Won’s over-the-top ad-libs have the other two struggling to hold back their laughter, which bursts out as soon as cameras stop rolling.

https://www.soompi.com/2018/02/06/watch-laughter-never-leaves-set-hwayugi-cast-brings-humor-scenes/

• Like 4

This drama's sense of humor is Super!!

I want JSM marries SOG, MW marries that secretary lady, and Jonathan gets BJ - LOL

I still wish that in the end Sam Jang will show her true power, like she's the queen of all the Demons - just like this wonder woman.

Lovely Oh Yeon Seo :heart:

original.gif

• Like 4
  • LOL 7

2 minutes ago, RobinM said:

She was a little bit of a bad richard simmons when she told the Octopus lech he wouldn't need to worry a  about SOG because she was perfectly capable of Making Takoyaki her self  and then walked out like boss. 

I was lol-ing at that part cos she was talking with such straight emotionless face.

Gosh this Mawang. My heart broke for him and Princess Iron Fan but can't he be patient till he become a deity? If not all his efforts will just be useless.

He needs to think about others too if he really wants to be a deity. I don't

think heaven will let him till he learn to do so.

PK is also the same. he just put Sunmi in to be zombie food...

if i were Sunmi, i would have took OG to run away with me hmmph

• Like 12

1 hour ago, stroppyse said:

Just backread a bit of the thread to read some of the speculations of the written preview. Now, I'm a bit sorry that I translated it, since your speculations are so fantastically funny! :D

However, not sorry that OG and SM may have some really great OTP moments in the next episode. :) Also, it looks as if we will get to find out a little bit more about the priestess as well.

Thank you for translating, @stroppyse ! You are very reliable. Reading your version gave me great comfort (while the other versions -including google translate- entertained me so much that I could forget about ASN sitting on SOG's lap on the last ep *facepalm)

Honestly speaking, when I read the google translate version, I was not even sure if the preview talks about THIS drama or a totally different drama. Hahahahaha.

Thanks everybody, all of you are valuable in your own way and made this wait (for another week!) a lot less painful. *smooches*

• Like 11

12 hours ago, jinsunmi said:

At least, in CITT i know that the team really appreciate her, sending her a food truck during MSG,

saying nice things about her in their instagram...but here in hwayugi she is ignored in her own drama,

no official poster with LSG, no bts, her screentime...

I also think it's weird that we never see her own bts even when there is one,

the camera is hiding her face (wedding) WHY???

I know YG want their own actor to shine but why the lead actress is ignored? 

i’m really mad that oh yoen seo is nowhere to be seen in bts in her own drama . i hope the pd’s will fix this becuase lot of fans are requesting for more otp bts.

the text preveiew sound good . i hope after hearing mawangs absurd request to let oh gong marry evil asy sunmi will fight for her man . oh gong desparately want’s her to show that she cares .  

and hopefully ratings won’t be affected too much by other show’s in the same timeslot

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, stargazer187 said:

So ASN was supposed to get marriage before she got killed, now she wants OG but OG made a new contract with SM which is that can be broken forever. Nice! This makes me light up. I was thinking that OG is the one that ASN planned to marry long long ago. 

We all need a guy like OG. Sigh.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, hikaru_dawn said:

I sincerely hope that Seon Mi would emerge as an amazing Sam Jang. An amazing high priestess in the next episodes...that would be lovely

I miss Sunmi and her umbrella

Kinda want her to be an amazing priestess too but she is just a decent businesswoman and really new to these evil demons

Hope this time it's time it's her turn to save OG

• Like 13

12 minutes ago, haymochi said:

I miss Sunmi and her umbrella

Kinda want her to be an amazing priestess too but she is just a decent businesswoman and really new to these evil demons

Hope this time it's time it's her turn to save OG

This. I hope we get a Sun Mi saving Oh Gong too

• Like 10