[Drama 2017-2018] A Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi 화유기

larus

4 hours ago, Wendy Wang said:

2. The myth of Orpehus and Eurydice is tragic, in that Eurydice is killed and when Orpheus brings her back to the living world, he can't look back at her until they both reach the Upper World.

AKSKDJSKKSSK

But is it just me or when love stories are tragic, the romance seems more intense, as in the characters seem to love each other more than if it were a happy story?

In a tragedy you knows it's not going to end well but the OTP will be damned If they didn't try thus go all out.

Regarding the myth I have a theory for the upcoming episodes 

Buja is the catalyst of the death of Sun-Mi or Oh-Gong...T-T

In the original myth

Lyra represents the lyre played by Orpheus, musician of the Argonauts and son of Apollo and the muse Calliope

Apollo God of the Sun=Fire=The primary powers of Oh Gong

Lyra represents the lyre played by Orpheus,

muHe fell deeply in love with the nymph Eurydice, and the two were married.sician of Oh-Gong and Sun-Mi are married even If some may disagree 

the Argonauts and son of Apollo and the muse Calliope. Apwild beasts, therocks, a Eurydice was wandering in the fields with some other nymphs when she was seen by the shepherd Aristaeus. Aristaeus was struck by her beauty and pursued her; as she fled, she was bitten by a snake in the grass and died of the serpent's poison.i

Assuming Buja is going to pursue Oh Gong she will be the shepherd who inadvertedly cause an accident that kills Oh-Gong by the hands of Sun-Mi as she can poison his heart to obey her or Abuja causes Oh-Gong to accidentally kill Sun-MiEurydice

On condition he must not look back until he had emerged from the valleys of Avernus or else the gift he had been given would be taken from him.Anxious on his journey back worryinghis wife's strength be failing and eager to see her, the lover looked behind him, and straightaway Eurydice slipped back into the depths. Orpheus stretched out his arms, straining to clasp her and be clasped; but the hapless man touched nothing but yielding air. Eurydice, dying now a second time, uttered no complaint against her husband. What was there to complain of, that she had been loved?Eurydicwandering in the fields with some other nymphs when she was seen by tSome soompiers have complained that Sun Mi and Oh gong's fate given by God is too sad but It's actually a gift.Love is a gift that can be given away but also taken back.Perhaps the minute Oh-Gong defies heaven's will the worst his love with Sun-Mi will suffer ?

According to Ovid, Orpheus was so heartbroken from having lost his love not once, but twice, that he rejected the company of women in favor of that of small boys. The women of Thrace were infuriated and, while maddened during Bacchic rites, hurled rocks at the bard. The rocks, tamed by the sound of Orpheus's lyre, at first fell harmlessly at his feet, but the shrieks of the infuriated women soon drowned out the music. The women dismembered Orpheus, throwing his lyre and his head into the river Hebrus. The Muses gathered up his limbs and buried them, and Orpheus went to the underworld to spend eternity with Eurydice

• Like 7

18 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Did you get to LSG's cameo in that drama? He's hilarious in it. That's why when OG was mimicking MW with his "You Pass" catchphrase, it cracked me up so much because it reminded me of LSG's character mimicking CSW's character in Greatest Love. :) 

I did! There was a whole little bit where he was offended about someone else having a scarf just like CSW was in the first episode, then he totally mimicked him and it was adorable.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Wotad said:

you need to compare the rating to last weeks episode for some reason the Saturday episodes are lower than the Sunday episode.

last week it got 5.054% and 5.539% i think tomorrow it will hit 7%+ 

Yeah the rating ofr yesterday was good. Quite surprised because two hit dramas are ending this week too.

Can't wait for tomorrow although i haven't watched ep 11 because my heart isn't ready yet but i hope this otp would go all out already cos avoiding each other still won't change their fate anyway.

just love as much as you can

• Like 5

3 hours ago, stroppyse said:

I can't believe how episode 11 took me from being so delighted with the romance to being so hurt for the star crossed lovers. So, a translation of one of the parts I loved so much. This is SM confessing to OG.

MW: Surely not?
SM: No, it’s not! It’s absolutely not!
OG: What do you mean it’s not? If you keep acting like this, I’m not going to do activation.
SM: What?
OG: Activation, I’m talking about. Activation.
(kisses his fingers and touches them to SM while everyone looks on in surprise and shock)
MW: What’s this?
SM: Get up! You’re going to follow Ma Wang today, and die. Get up.
OG: What? What?
SM: Get up!
OG: What is it? Ay! Ay!
MW: So, has Sam Jang ultimately become like that?

SM: Go in. Hurry up!
OG: What? What about it?
SM: You, in front of people… no, in front of all the demons, don’t act up. It’s embarrassing.
OG: Really? Okay, then I’ll only act up when it’s the two of us.
SM: Don’t act up when it’s just the two of us either.
OG: Why? Are you not confident that you won’t give in?
SM: Yes. I’m not confident. If you keep tempting me, then I’m totally going to give in.
OG: Why are you being like this so suddenly? I like it too much.
SM: I’m embarrassed. Son Oh Gong, I have totally deceived myself and fallen for you. Later, you’ll be finished, so I’ll probably be left to be miserable alone. Even though I know that, I still like you more and more. I must be crazy. The me who has come to like you, you watch out for me.
OG: Right now, here, the two of us, is this really dangerous for you?
SM: Yes. It’s dangerous. Don’t do it.
OG: Okay, since I agreed not to do anything that you tell me not to do.

After the clip is done, there is one more section in the continuation of the scene, though I didn't bother including some of the chitchat:

SM: Thank you.
OG: Then not acting up, but can I do some showing off?  

(OG shows SM his viewing tower, and then shows her the stars. OG is about to gesture to put more on display for SM, but notices the geumganggo on his wrist.)

OG: (talking to himself) Jin Seon Mi, I think I’m also deceiving myself. Even if this goes away, I think that I’ll feel the same as I do now. I’m crazy, aren’t I?

SM: What?

OG: Nothing. Just look at the stars.

So, SM flat out confesses how much she likes OG despite knowing that OG will later leave her and probably not think of her at all. And, OG himself is not sure that it's all geumganggo and not real.

So, the episode starts off so cutely like this. Well, the opening scene where OG wants to take the "activation" further and tells SM to take responsibility for getting him all activated was also pretty cute and funny. And, coming just after that kiss, I can see why the Monkey King wants more. :)

Anyway, after the cute, funny, flirty, caring start, the episode proceeds to get darker and darker until the end when I'm hurting for both SM and OG.

It's interesting that OG finds the bell, and thinks that it means that he will die since he can't hurt SM, but that MW is firmly convinced that OG will find a way to do away with SM before she can hurt him. As the patriarch had said before though, only OG knows what is truly in OG's heart.

Thank u so much for ur translation, this makes our day till 9pm bearable :heart:

SOG's heart is really unpredictable... we can only expect the best thing in the world for the couple :cry:

OhGong~SunMi ahhh... please give in, just love eachbother unconditionally...

Edited by stroppyse
Please do not quote images/videos. Thanks.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, stroppyse said:

For those who don't know, Lee Seung Gi, Cha Seung Won, and Lee Seo Jin are all alumni of PD Na Young Seok's reality tv shows: LSG did Noonas Over Flowers and New Journey to the West, CSW did Three Meals a Day: Fishing Village, and LSJ did Grandpas Over Flowers and Three Meals a Day. So, it's hilarious that LSG turns to Youn's Kitchen which is the latest of PD Na's reality based tv shows, featuring fellow alumna LSJ. Plus the references to CSW's cooking which is actually unbelievably fabulous apparently, and really looked amazing on tv.

It's kinda cute and sweet that OhGong watches Youn's Kitchen because SeungGi and SeoJin are best friends in real life.

I think SeungGi is showing his support and  also helping to promote more of best friend's show through this drama.

Also about mentioning of his former reality TV show "New Journey to the West" ...   it's kinda bit funny because SeungGi is SamJang in that show. :)

@stroppyse  Thank you so much for all of your updates and translations.

I appreciate them so much  and I'm truly very grateful. :)

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

This got english sub. Click CC if u don't see them.

When the lyrics mention "sending my longing with a wind"....unrelated to the drama...but i imagine a scene when one whisper words of longing and fan it out with the Magic Fan....across the world to the other person....

• Like 2

The thing about not being able to understand Korean is that I need to wait for subs. The thing about waiting for subs is that I don’t quite get the discussion until midweek when I have seen the episodes. It’s like the fella waking up in the middle of the night and laughing at the joke he heard the night before. Sigh.

But I am super grateful for the live recap and posts here for it keeps my sanity. Particularly the translated scene where OG and SJ were behaving oddly in front of the rest of the demons. Made me laugh! We know the GGG binds them with artificial love and they have progressed beyond that. Both know it and each in their own way has admitted that much but SJ is the one holding back a bit cos she is apprehensive that he will leave when she is done saving the world. Characters aside, it is clear that both have different interpretations of what the end is like, with OG I think having a clearer view, and so have different thoughts of how they could end up together. Perhaps the next few eps would see them sorting it out. For better or for worse. No one is really helping them since all the rest have their own agenda. I am not optimistic about the end though. Sigh, sigh.

• Like 6
  • LOL 1

It's just my opinion...

Soo Boo Ri (if im not mistaken his name) has said that GGG is originally used for the couple did not realize each other feeling... I no longer can guess in which direction GGG should be handled.

- if GGG is taken off, st really bad has to happen to SM for OG truly realize that he cannot let SM die

- but, I prefer GGG still in OG since he has to realize that SM stopped him to kill two killers for a reason. Why should SM want OG die??? She is a special person in a human world to be chosen as SJ. OG still has to learn a lot in a human life, with more evilness in a persom, for him to be able back to heavenly realm.

We have to focus that the focus of the story line is to fight evilness.. if GGG is taken off I think it will be weird. The function of it is not to prevent SJ for dying, but to save the world through SM. Maybe SM has to be sacrificed to let OG realize how he love her really deeply... this scene is the key of their romance *maybe. But the moment for SM "to take it off-or not" is worth to watch :)

• Like 3

Ep 12 text preview (wink2 someone kind please translate )

금강고로 인해 자신이 진짜 죽을 수도 있음을 알게 된 오공. 오공은 선미가 자신과 '필살'의 연이 아닌 '천생연분'으로 착각하고 있음을 알고, 선뜻 진실을 말하지 못한다. 한편, 악귀를 없앴던 나무 아래서 의문의 석관이 발견되고, 그 안에는 배신당한 신녀이자 원귀인 '아사녀'가 봉인되어 있음이 밝혀지는데...

-Oh Gong realized he could die because of Geum Gang Go

-Sunmi still doesn't know and still thinks it's a "fated love" bell. He can't bare to tell the truth

-something is found under the tree(?) . Someone is sealed below it(?)

• Thanks 7

I'm still trying to make sense of what just happened overnight... trying my bestest to avoid spoilers (although unsuccessfully it seems) before viewing with subs :wink: ... to incur so much angst but since our friend @bebebisous33 summoned me here and somebody else mentioned Moon Lovers :D I thought I should have a look in and add my 2 cents.

I suspect that it was always going to be a bit of a challenge doing Journey to the West with extra-terrestrial romance and a happy ending. That's the part that piqued my interest in the first place. As far as I can tell the romance is just a vehicle to get SOG and Samjung to their destination... this end of the world scenario that the drama seems to have temporarily shelved to one side. In the original Journey to the West, Sun Wukong and Xuanzang had moments where they had serious falling out sometimes due to Wukong's pride and mischievousness and other times because of Xuanzang's naivete/gullibility. Of course the power of the headband would be invoked from time to time with the "Headache Sutra" to keep Wukong's propensity for violence in check. I'm also labouring under the assumption that the OG in Hwayugi has been banished to earth because he's a major upheaval elsewhere.

To add to what @bebebisous33 has said, Monkey is an extremely powerful entity with the potential to wreak a lot of havoc at will. On top of that he's a cunning trickster who really doesn't consider the consequences of his actions or his words as long as it tickles his fancy. Channelled properly, his abilities could be used do a lot of good. Hence it's the "channelling" part that's the difficulty here. How does one manage to tamper a wilful, powerful entity who destroys demons and evil spirits as easily as breathing and make him do exactly what you want? Make him fall in love... is the Korean drama answer. Obviously love doesn't immediately transform him into a saint but by forcing him to protect a woman he has strong emotions for, he will gradually get to a place where his impulse control issues will be curbed or managed. :wink: I don't think OG will ever turn into a docile pet on a leash but his wild side will be kept in check. My impression is that the geumganggo acts similarly to SWK's headband in that it keeps the wearer from going against its Master's will or bidding. But eventually even the geumganggo won't be needed because the deepening love will be its own restraint. 

The death bell does sound ominous but I'm inclined to think that all it means is that 

Spoiler

OG will sacrifice himself willingly for SM/Samjung when the time comes

Honestly, for me I'm just along for the ride. I'm maximizing my enjoyment by not thinking too much about the ending. As long as the ending is logical and makes sense, I'm not too worried what the endgame is. (Although it's hard to see how this mostly comedic drama can end in tears) The unpredictability of the narrative is one of the highlights for me aside from this humorous, creative reimagining and recontextualization of the JttW mythos in a modern Asian city.

@rocat -- I feel you. :(

@stroppyse -- LOL. I love how "activate" has become the new euphemism for "lip service". :D

Nooooo... no more spoilers... 

• Like 7

Based on the preview of tonight’s episode Ah Sa Nyeo was buried beneath that tree, that tree were they found a stone coffin. In the preview, we saw Bu Ja as if nothing had happened.  Her corpse, maybe possessed by evil spirit? Come to think of it, BJ is kind by nature and grateful and know to apologize. That the old BJ isn’t vengeful but the Bu Ja that they will encounter this time is literally evil.

I’m not sure but maybe this BJ will take advantage of MaWang’s weakness,  the feeling of love and longing for Na Chal Nyeo  (there is this scene where she said “MaWang on your behalf, shall I help her?). In the preview, something is confusing, did MaWang address Ah Sa NYEO as HE? I thought the evil spirit is woman and that name is a woman’s name. 

Apparently, Son Oh Gong does not know who’s that Ah Sa Nyeo ( he was asking someone if by chance, know anything about that ASN)

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

Another translation of the text preview.

Oh Gong has realized that wearing the geumganggo can really kill him. However, to Seon Mi who believes that she and Oh Gong are lovers who are a match made in heaven, Oh Gong can’t tell the truth of their heaven fated relationship.

Meanwhile, beneath the tree where they vanquished an evil spirit, a suspicious sarcophagus is revealed, the betrayed lady ghost ‘Ah Sa Nyeo’ is revealed to be sealed within…

I think this "Ah Sa Nyeo"  is the evil spirit who will possess BuJa's body in the next episode.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Though SunMi has the Death bell right now, but I have a feeling that the Love Bell will be in the future episode and it will prove that OhGong and SunMi are truly destined lovers.

• Like 8

Who is Ah Sa Nyeo btw?she is not Mawang ladylove right?

looks like this evil spirit really possesed cuty Buja  corpse. She is using this to manipulate OG, Mawang, and Samjang.

She also said to samjang "Unnie Oh Gonf oppa got hurt because of you right?"

hmmm.... i hope this bell of death will be known asap. Don't you think it's too cruel for the otp? Sunmi will be all giddy sbout this fated lovers thing while OG is in pain

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Hwayugi: Episode 11

by girlfriday

hwayugi11-00240a.jpg

It’s an episode all about death, but in true Hong sisters fashion it’s an opportunity for gags, since dying means something entirely different to a bunch of monsters who live for centuries. Still, it makes them reflect on what they live for, what they leave behind, and how they choose to go, and they learn that no one is truly exempt from death… maybe even immortals.

http://www.dramabeans.com/2018/02/hwayugi-episode-11/

• Like 8