[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

7 minutes ago, chickfactor said:

Hello Najussi fans ... :tears:

Thank you all for keeping the Najussi fires burning. I've actually been avoiding this group. It actually hurts too much, and I've been trying to move on.

But it's great to be able to see it near the top whenever I swing by forums.soompi, knowing that the enthusiasm and love is still alive!

So I am reporting that no K-drama has quite lived up to the brilliance of Najussi so far. I've enjoyed a few, but nothing has quite touched my heart in the same way.

If anyone is on the fence about this drama, I am telling you, this is a rare drama, an absolute must-watch, you must have this in your lives, and you will mourn it when it ends, like I do.

((HUGS)) to everyone. I hope everyone is living brilliant, happy lives right now!

@chickfactor, so happy to see you drop by.  I hope you'll visit the fan site some time, though it might hurt even more.  But then you might really enjoy something like this: https://givemeslippers.wordpress.com/2018/08/03/gif-knowing-looks-1-3/

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, sadiesmith said:

@chickfactor, so happy to see you drop by.  I hope you'll visit the fan site some time, though it might hurt even more.  But then you might really enjoy something like this: https://givemeslippers.wordpress.com/2018/08/03/gif-knowing-looks-1-3/

I love it!

I'll go cry in a corner now. Ahhh, hurts so good.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

https://www.asiaartistawards.com/vote/preVote.html?type=mactor

I hope the glaring omission of LSK from the list of actors is not a foreshadow of how things will be when awards season rolls around in South Korea.  Somehow I am very pessimistic, at least for LSK. :tears:  IU seems to be doing okay getting the recognition she deserves.  

This is so sad...

I mean, it seems like every other actor is on the nomination but LSK...

Was the drama's controversy really that bad in Korea?

I mean, the drama had proven its quality, and there's no obvious loveline between the main leads... Why is that people seems to stuck on their prejudice?
I'm glad IU was being praised by other actors/celebrities on her role in MA...

But, there's no word on LSK's acting?

Hi, @chickfactor !

Feel free to check out Instagram account dedicated to MA (shamelessly promoting again :D)

• Like 5

3 hours ago, widala said:

This is so sad...

I mean, it seems like every other actor is on the nomination but LSK...

Was the drama's controversy really that bad in Korea?

I mean, the drama had proven its quality, and there's no obvious loveline between the main leads... Why is that people seems to stuck on their prejudice?
I'm glad IU was being praised by other actors/celebrities on her role in MA...

But, there's no word on LSK's acting?

Hi, @chickfactor !

Feel free to check out Instagram account dedicated to MA (shamelessly promoting again :D)

Why LSK is underrated in S. Korea? Anyone knows? I think he gave his best in MA and deserved to be on the awards list. He ever mentioned in Healing Camp that women who worked with him always got the recognition. Just unfair.

Edited by Guest
Please do not quote images, thanks! :)

9 hours ago, chickfactor said:

I love it!

I'll go cry in a corner now. Ahhh, hurts so good.

@chickfactor, I meant to tell you earlier that we put up a lot of the things you helped translate.  These are only some of them:

https://givemeslippers.wordpress.com/2018/06/23/a-lovers-quarrel/

https://givemeslippers.wordpress.com/2018/07/10/if-its-love-then-even-phone-tapping-is-ok-my-ahjussi-should-have-been-rated-age-19/

• Like 5

6 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

Wow, that's awesome!

I'm happy that I was able to contribute a little bit.

Wow, you put so much work into that. I love it!

• Like 6

I need something to feed on my MA addiction, so I read the old posts from this forum...

And I found this

On 4/12/2018 at 2:23 PM, chickfactor said:

Oh, and for the record? This marriage is DEAD.

It's not just the cheating, although that alone would be devastating.

It's the methodical undermining. It's that she knew that the bribe money came from Joon-Young, and she knew all along that Joon-Young is working to kick Dong-Hoon out of the company. She knew that, and instead of sticking up for her HUSBAND, she relentlessly encouraged him to quit. That is DISRESPECT. That is a whole another level of BETRAYAL.

Dong-Hoon knows this. This is why he asked Joon-Young if Yoon-Hee knew about the bribe. He is smart. He knows Joon-Young is not in love with Yoon-Hee, and he will never marry a divorcee with a child. He knows Yoon-Hee was used.

He will resolve this with grace. He will be most concerned about how his mother and his child will be affected, rather than himself.

But they're not getting back together. It's over.

This.

Even if PDH didn't end up with LJA (ptooey, ptooey, ptooey!) I wouldn't want PDH to get back with KYH.

KYH knew how important PDH's job for him. He wasn't only providing for his wife and son, but also his elderly mother and fallen from grace brothers.

KYH said she would help him, but if everything falls apart (PDH quit his job and his business fails), would she be willing to support his family? Or would she just throw them on the street?

Like the post said, it was another level of betrayal. And, KYH really burned down the bridge with nothing left to fix.

Then, if PDH job was so important, how come he dared to quit and started his own company in episode 16?

Besides the promise he made to LJA to be happy, I think one of the main factor was because his brothers have a steady job.

He saw that his brothers are serious about the cleaning business. Ki Hoon loved the hard work, and it seemed Sang Hoon was pretty good at managing it.

So, he took the risk. And if the worse happen, at least his mother is taking care of by his brothers.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Thanks @Joseph Lim for posting about LJA's new project. I believe having a new project at the end of the year will only boost the memories of fan's and the people who have the power to nominate the wonderful cast and crew of MA for awards. It has been many months since the airing and a few more highly rated programs have aired since. I'm still hoping that MA gets the recognition it deserves in terms of awards nominations.

I haven't re-watched any episodes yet but I might soon. I get tempted whenever I see an actor/actress from MA appear in a different drama. Also, I think on tvN's 'Let's Eat 3' or 'Familiar Wife' or perhaps both, there was mention of 'not a big deal' and 'finding comfort'. Perhaps done to honor MA? The main characters in tvN's 'Because it's my first life' came out in a guest appearance on the networks 'What's wrong with secretary Kim?' recently. Maybe LSK and LJE will appear in a cameo in one of the networks future drama? An appearance will be great. A few episodes will be greater. A new series... one can hope and dream.

@sadiesmith I will post a link to the fansite on dramafever if someone else hasn't done so already. I will post my thoughts on male friendships and the friendship between monk and DH. I have to think about it first.

Cheers!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Warning...warning. This is going to be a very long post. It also will be a bit different because I am trying to be a bit creative. So it may be confusing. You might think that I am so crazy for doing this but I wanted to have some fun. So, sorry if this is not your cup of soju but here it goes. You have been warned.

I think all friendships are generally the same. Like-minded individuals enjoy each other's company and they form friendships. But honestly, for guys when you are with 'the guys' you don't have to worry if your shirt is unwashed and wrinkled, if your hair is uncombed, if your language is a bit rough. Or totally the opposite if that is your style. The point is you can just be yourself. I think maybe some women prefer guy friends more than female friends for this same reason. As close buddies you may share the same interests in sports, music, films and books. Maybe the teams and genre are slightly different (only slightly) but you like similar things so you hang out. Like @africandramalover said  Dong-hoon and Gyeom-duk discuss the heavy stuff and I find that good male friends can do just that.

Ding ding ding the train rail guards sound as they come down before the train swooshes past. Dong-hoon is lying on his back in the snow. Contemplating. Suddenly his underwear comes to mind.

Ding ding the wind chimes sound  (taken from @justamom's fanfic I loved it so much) as Gyeom-duk sits cross legged in the temple yard as he watches the blades of grass, the sheep on the hillside.   Different lives.

Your close friends or your best friend is different. You became friends most likely as kids. You share the same scars, the same experiences. The highs and lows. Every free moment you spend together at school and at home. You enjoy the same games, TV shows and movies. You end up liking the same things then later maybe totally different things, but the friendship remains. You know what each other likes, hates, thinks. You fight, you compete but the friendship endures. This is why as @africandramalover says, DH can "unburden his deepest emotions" to GD.

Buzz buzz. The subway doors are warning of there impending closure. Dong-hoon sits contemplating the bribe. Dong-hoon sits worrying about his wife's infidelity. He is standing trying not to make contact with this woman. He is sitting and thanks her. Later he sits and gives advice to her. DH stands close to protect her from prying investigators.

Dong dong. The prayer bowl rhythmically sings. Geom-duk sits to contemplate a life free from desire. Is Jung-hee still hurting? Free from material things. Is Jung-hee doing well? Living a simple life. Actually, Jung-hee is still longing and drinking too much, but she still washes up before bed.       Different lives.

Best friends may end up living far away and may not stay in contact daily or weekly or yearly, but when they do connect it is like you saw them yesterday. Fixing a tire. Sharing a laugh. Consoling with a hug. Male friends actually don't do the physical contact thing too much if at all. I think having the awareness of being a monk allows GD to do this. Even DH seems to want GD to stop hugging him. But DH needed this hug. He needs a hug from JA more but this has to do for now.

Spoiler

To be honest, I had a lingering thought in the back of my head early in the show about why GD decided to become a monk. I thought that he left JH because he was conflicted about his sexuality and maybe he liked DH. He couldn't love either properly so he gave up material things and went to live up in the mountains. That back hug brought those thoughts back. But I believe GD is in touch with his feelings and genuinely wanted to provide some comfort to DH and support his friend while he was feeling down.

Smash. Crack. Smash. Crack. Dong-hoon's hammer breaks the walls.

Sweep. Sweep. A clean temple helps the formation of a clear mind.

It is like having a brother, but it is different. You choose to be friends. It seems as if DH and GD were friends from childhood. Like all the neighborhood gang that stayed in Hoogye for generations they are all friends. The gang who congregate at JH's bar are drinking buddies, a soccer group, a community who has each others back. Good acquaintances. Almost a family but DH and GD's friendship transcends this group. They have nothing to hide from each other. They share a deeper connection.

Smash, crack. Smash, crack. Dong-hoon's fist hits a cheek. Smash. Lands on an ear. Crack. Finds the jaw.

Clang. Clang. The metal rice and soup bowls rattle and pray while being washed. A daily routine. A clear mind.

They were rivals in study. Rivals in sport. Maybe even rivals for the same women. They thought similarly. They thought differently. Both thought the other was better than himself. They couldn't be separated through high school up until maybe the start of college. Then Gyeom-duk decided to drop out of "normal" society because the best he could see himself being was to become just like his friend DH. Living earnestly in the attainment of material things for the appearance of being happy. So, DH lost his friend. It wasn't his fault, but for the sake of JH he didn't utter GD's name. Kept his visits to him secret. Couldn't reveal his whereabouts. DH who doesn't smile often always smiles when he sees GD. For a guy like DH it must have been so hard to not have GD around.

Smash. Crack. Dong-hoon's fist pounds the bedroom door. Smash. Crack. The door is splintered. The fist is bloodied. Smash. Crack. The emotions are finally laid bare. Exposed.

Silence. Gyeom-duk waits patiently. Rustle. The yellow flowers whisper as GD, ever so slightly nervous, holds them. Knock, knock. The bar is not yet open. Yet her heart is. Anticipating...hoping...  Emotions are raw.     Different lives.

Dong-hoon and Gyeom-duk live far away. Speak infrequently. Live different lives. Yet they share a past that bonds them together. A knowing look. A slight smirk. Silence. Words are not necessary for them to understand each other. But a comforting hug. Words of encouragement. Tough words to shake you from self-pity. These are all shared by these two friends.

Is GD truly happy? He must meditate for days to ascertain the answer, but he has found his peace. DH had a good cry and in the end I believe he is just starting to find his happiness. Reconnecting with JA is a huge piece to help him achieve happiness.

One lives in a temple high in the hills. No hair on his head. The other lives high up in a concrete block. That annoying stubble above his upper lip. Different lives, but best friends.

Okay, you can throw tomatoes now! Or persimmons!

So, what do your husband's think about DH's friendship with GD? @justamom @africandramalover and @sadiesmith

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Koala's Playground just wrote a post about 2018 Korean Drama Awards (what exactly is this award?).  My Ajusshi is nominated for best drama and best screenplay (Park Hae Young), but nothing for our OTP or any other actor. :(

http://koalasplayground.com/2018/09/26/mr-sunshine-and-a-handful-of-weekend-dramas-lead-nominations-at-2018-korean-drama-awards/

Do read the comments section though. 

• Like 4

Here's a more complete picture of the just announced APAN Star Awards nominees:

APAN Star Awards, Kim Nam-Ju, Son Ye-jin, Lee Byung-hun, Lee Sun-gyun, Cho Seung-woo '

Finally!!! Our man Lee Seon Kyun got the DAESANG (grand prize) nomination along with Kim Nam Joo (Misty), Son Ye Jin (Pretty Noona), LBH (Mr. Sunshine), and Cho Seung Woo (Life).  It's a tough group to beat, but he definitely belongs there!  

IU got nominated for Top Excellence Award (against veteran actresses Jung Yumi, Kim Sun Ah, Lee Bo Young, and Jung Rye Won), Park Ho San for Best Supporting Actor, and Jang Ki Young for Best New Actor.  Congratulations to all!  Hope this means the show will be properly recognized in the Baeksang Awards next year.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6th_APAN_Star_Awards

http://news.jtbc.joins.com/article/article.aspx?news_id=NB11701767

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Today had been an emotional roller coaster for me.

First, reading the post about Korean Drama Awards. Although I was glad MA got nominated as Best Drama and Best Screenplay, I was also mad because neither LSK or IU got nominated for actor/actress categories...

I read the article from Koala Playground and checked the comment section, (thanks @sadiesmith), so happy that there are many people who thought LSK and IU deserve to be nominated. I loled at one of the comment that said this award is crap for leaving LSK and IU out.

And then, I saw the post about APAN awards, and both LSK and IU got nominated! And also Park Ho San! So happy!

Yes, they are up against other talented actors and actresses. But, they are given the recognition they deserve.

Now, the important question, will they be attending any of these events?

I understand IU is busy with her 10 anniversary tour this October...

I don't know about LSK though...

Hoping for the red carpet photos :D

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, widala said:

Now, the important question, will they be attending any of these events?

I understand IU is busy with her 10 anniversary tour this October...

I don't know about LSK though...

Hoping for the red carpet photos :D

Hahaha... I doubt they would attend unless they're actually winners.

Here's Koala's post on the APAN Awards:

http://koalasplayground.com/2018/09/27/popular-dramas-and-high-profile-stars-like-lee-byung-hun-and-son-ye-jin-lead-2018-apan-star-award-nominations/

• Like 4

I thought I was having a case of the deja-vu when I saw this news today on yet another nomination pitting Lee Seon Kyun against LBH (Mr. Sunshine) and Cho Seung Woo (Life).  Turned out this is a totally separate award body from the APAN Awards, and this time LSK got the nomination for Best Actor in a drama, going up against LBH and CSW.  

46852_114603_5533.png

Other nominations:

Best Drama: My Ajusshi against Life, Money Flower, My Golden Life, Should We Kiss First?

Best Supporting Actor: Park Ho San

Best New Actor? (not sure about this): Jang Ki Young

IU might have gotten the Popular Actress nomination, too, but I am not sure.  Winners will be announced on October 27, 2018.  Congrats and good luck to all these nominees!!  To be honest, I am rather surprised Mr. Sunshine did not get the Best Drama nomination judging by how popular it is in SK.

http://www.slist.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=46852#09Pr

Koala's post on Seoul Awards

• Like 7