[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

This drama is so powerful, I tell you... Sometimes in the middle of preparing my concept paper for my dissertation, I think about something in the drama and feel tears forming at the back of my eyes (then I look at my crappy concept paper and the tears disappear :P).

I am watching a few new dramas, but I'm definitely dropping more dramas than I am following. Everyday isn't Christmas, is it?

After all the analyses about the traffic signs, episode 15 makes it painfully obvious that the director was using the traffic signs as a metaphor/ symbol / motif. Even if I missed traffic signs in other episodes, episode 15 was SOOOOO obvious. PDnim is just brilliant! Aspects of this scene sequence have been analysed before, but what caught my attention is how the scenes were arranged this sequence. Deleting the app should take one second, however....

From around minute 54, 

• Ji Ah tells DH she'll delete the wiretap program. 
  • She lays down next to Jung Hee who tells her they need to sleep to feel better.
  • JA picks the phone. We see her phone wallpaper, a tree that is blocking the sun behind it. As I posted this, it became so obvious why the tree is blocking the sun!! JA's life is dark, DHs life is so dark, the light has figuratively been blocked from their lives. By the end of the drama, even the lighting style has changes to something brighter to reflect their new brighter, open lives.
  • Could the picture also mean that JA as DHs light, watched DH from behind a "veil"?

Spoiler

37933966_10156180496765412_9103366076464

• Ji An listens to DongHoon for the last time as he walks towards the subway.
Spoiler

38122052_10156180496910412_7302811465520

38155464_10156180497080412_7744203459234

• The warning bell of the approaching train rings and the barriers come down as DH crosses the tracks. The barriers have the red light on, plus the very obvious stop sign.
Spoiler

37961343_10156180497440412_2743534476284

• Ji An chooses the "uninstall" option the program as she listens to DHs last footsteps... the light is red = stop wiretapping 
Spoiler

37962516_10156180497600412_4553805720591

• The train flashes past and the barrier behind DH shows the red light and stop sign. The scene changes focus to his legs was he continues walking.
Spoiler

37971101_10156180497740412_8554704130617

• Ji An chooses OK to begin the uninstall option and the program is deleted. This is as he's crossed the Railtrack and the train metaphorically cuts their communication.... I almost fainted seeing this.
Spoiler

37945951_10156180497910412_2403926142265

• Back to DH's footsteps that we see and can NO LONGER HEAR. (then the "Adult" OST plays over the footsteps). The link to his footsteps that told her about him is ended.
  •  The train barrier turns green and rises behind DH and he continues walking. Even though the light is green, the stop sign and the train sign remind us that the link is broken.
Spoiler

38168674_10156180501610412_6297839266294

• PS ... Can someone read what this says? Is she changing the wallpaper? Because the wall paper changes to something brighter and with a "traintrack" looking boardwalk thing...

Spoiler

38071949_10156180503890412_2004218919283

37978420_10156180503770412_8231997308951

• If the wallpapers are contrasted, does it mean that JA now has open access to DH, as opposed to before where she saw him through the wiretap? Does she now have "legal" / open access to him (the board walk) as opposed to the wiretap (the sun behind the tree)? Later when she meets him at the café, she hears his voice "without using any channels"....
  • JA puts the phone down and closes her eyes and we see a tear run down her face. I think this is the first tear she's shed in the entire show. She didn't even cry the two times she was beaten by gangster. JH asks her why she is crying. Obviously she cant say.
Spoiler

38130075_10156180504275412_2451300881375

• DH is still walking, but now we can hear his steps. JA cannot. the scene ends.
Spoiler

37905947_10156180503275412_7512642161486

38036958_10156180504425412_5014238244926

They say the script is edited thrice: by the writer, then by the actors and director during shooting, then during post-production in the editing suite. The sequence of the scenes just hit me BAM! BAM!! BAM!!!. PDNim was playing a piano with how those scenes were arranged. The end of their bond (wiretapping) plays out so beautifully here, I was blown away! I can see PDnim with his directors notes, telling the editing guy how to arrange the scenes, knowing that he's trolling us by hiding awesomeness in plain sight.

I'm still gathering the courage to watch episode 16, two weeks after watching 15. I don't know why it's harder now!!!

• Like 8
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, t123han said:

Between few days back I posted a YouTube video of his wife talking about him . It was a treat to watch and you come

to know how much of a jovial person he is in real life. Apparently the interview is from a show called ‘healing camp’ ep 138 And 139. I tried to find it online but couldn’t find this particular episode anywhere !!! 

Do you mean this video?

It's the Healing Camp ep 138.

It doesn't have sub, but there's someone in the comment section translated what Jeon Hye Jin was saying.

The video doesn't available in most Asian countries (South East Asia mostly), so I watch it using VPN...

• Like 5

I have seen the video and I know someone posted the content in comment section. 

But I can’t find the whole episode online :( . Most of korean drama subbed websites have only recent episodes of this show !!!

• Like 2

Oops, sorry @t123han.... I thought you're looking for the vid :sweatingbullets:

Yes, it's sad. There's a clip of ep 139, but no sub and no translation either...

So difficult to find sub video of LSK...

I can't even find any vid or clip of Blue Dragon awards 2017, where LSK was the host with Kim Hye Soo... (There's few clips of Jo In Sung, Jung Woo Sung and some performances, but no LSK :unsure:)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, widala said:

Oops, sorry @t123han.... I thought you're looking for the vid :sweatingbullets:

Yes, it's sad. There's a clip of ep 139, but no sub and no translation either...

So difficult to find sub video of LSK...

I can't even find any vid or clip of Blue Dragon awards 2017, where LSK was the host with Kim Hye Soo... (There's few clips of Jo In Sung, Jung Woo Sung and some performances, but no LSK :unsure:)

There are very few, and I don't even know if these are official videos.  Still, you can see how much of a gentleman he was to Kim Hye Soo who was overcome with emotions.  I'll post more on his soompi page.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I thought the Caution: Electricity sign was exclusive to the Ep 14 farewell phone call, but I see it on the far right in the Ep 10 confession scene. And it's not just a momentary thingy. (Go rewatch this scene, haha) *gasp*

I think this sign indicates that Dong Hoon's emotions are running dangerously high. Any thoughts?

6cscuU1.png

• Like 12

2 hours ago, h2ogirl said:

I thought the Caution: Electricity sign was exclusive to the Ep 14 farewell phone call, but I see it on the far right in the Ep 10 confession scene. And it's not just a momentary thingy. (Go rewatch this scene, haha) *gasp*

I think this sign indicates that Dong Hoon's emotions are running dangerously high. Any thoughts?

Definitely running dangerously high.  Isn't this the first time he hears her tell him that she likes him?  And that he might like her too?  Yeah, man is all stirred up inside.  One of my favorite scenes.

Changing course a little, here's another evidence that the moon is indeed more than just something grandma loves.  We've already discussed how the lyrics of Dear Moon seems to point to the moon as Ji An's light, which is obviously embodied by Dong Hoon.  The PD confirmed this interpretation with the moon's appearance during DH's fight with Kwang Il.  Strangely the moon does not appear in episode 9, only in episode 10.

5CHjIx5zlB2s5XH8VU11w21HgUpdctxC0GgaBcnTOQdddC1Ta-1RKPN3yGCHDwz6KPOFTlrUMSGxScbHERG32UgjU0bWnZWHy5RpnM6xnS3JlMYpyEDl4cIWSfX5Phr6j93t-5-h

lNZ-AAqORSQvFBes629fz0Jvc1Srw_tKSFcSa2l-aed6gG3UWQyFQ2lOGAlZ-3mJkKdvgw0-76qf2WdH4WmDGsPCw8QshOYAMD6oMhUp2am5tKQA3ZGJGgb4VmKZ67WTSIkt7M4_

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

@africandramalover, I really enjoyed your analysis.  Coincidentally my rewatch took me to episode 15 last night and I saw the same details you did, although I did not make as many connections as you were able to.  :)

21 hours ago, africandramalover said:

If the wallpapers are contrasted, does it mean that JA now has open access to DH, as opposed to before where she saw him through the wiretap? Does she now have "legal" / open access to him (the board walk) as opposed to the wiretap (the sun behind the tree)? Later when she meets him at the café, she hears his voice "without using any channels"....

@mushroomsoupie made a very good observation about the contrasting wall papers mirroring what the chairman told DH earlier in the episode.  We even put it up as a post here: https://givemeslippers.wordpress.com/2018/06/24/ji-an-coming-into-full-light/

•  JA puts the phone down and closes her eyes and we see a tear run down her face. I think this is the first tear she's shed in the entire show. She didn't even cry the two times she was beaten by gangster. JH asks her why she is crying. Obviously she cant say.

Well, she did have a good cry at the end of episode 9 when DH beat up Kwang Il on her behalf. 

• Ji An chooses OK to begin the uninstall option and the program is deleted. This is as he's crossed the Railtrack and the train metaphorically cuts their communication.... I almost fainted seeing this.

And I almost fainted reading this.  I saw the train and all I remember was asking myself if we ever see the actual train cross any other time in the show.  Your conclusion is brilliant.  

Do you notice the same kind of directorial feat in your other favorite drama?  

• Like 6

55 minutes ago, sadiesmith said:

Well, she did have a good cry at the end of episode 9 when DH beat up Kwang Il on her behalf. 

How on earth did I forget that moment!!! hahahahaha!

56 minutes ago, sadiesmith said:

Do you notice the same kind of directorial feat in your other favorite drama?

My other drama had its own layers. The music pieces chosen had such a history to them that tied directly to the two protagonists story in a way that nothing else could have explained their relationship. By the time I was done reading analyses from classical music experts, I knew things about classical music I would never have cared about. When I hear classical music, all I think about is Oh Hye Won and Lee Seon Jae.

Each director added more padding to the story in their own way that makes the difference between the two dramas and every other drama ever done.

On my school break, I intend to rewatch every episode, analyze every scene in this drama and take extensive notes to learn what it takes to write a good story. That should keep my two weeks busy enough.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

You are like a hawk !! How do you even come to know about this ??

i was about to mention here if anyone knows why LSK is in hibernation !!

IU is on my insta feed every other day doing concerts. If it was just bc of controversy I am sure she would not have been  so out there.  And she sings Sondia in these concerts which obviously means korean audience loves it.

I don’t know why LSK is not milking it. He gave a performance of his life and he choose to then go into hiding. Either he is the type who does not believe in media circus or korean movie actors are bit toned down on these fan meeting and all.

I know he is not your typical k drama hero but at least give us airport pic of you moving somewhere. That should satisfy some of us !!!!

And how  young he looks in that Japan interview. I should applaud the make up artist for making him look older in the drama. 

• Like 5
  • LOL 6

8 hours ago, Joseph Lim said:

I keep trying the links but I think theyre broken/deleted due to magazing copyright. But I do remember seeing a translated quote in one of the pics, IU said along these lines, “DH is a man you can’t help to fall in love with.”  I just wanted to verify if that was actually what was said? I mean if it’s correct, that’s like ittttt already :wub:

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote IGs! Thanks! :)
  • Like 6

39 minutes ago, h2ogirl said:

@ann04 If you've read @justamom's translation of the HaruHana interview, then yes, she did say something along those lines. And LSK called IU his Lee Ji An. I basically died there.

Here's the translated interview: https://givemeslippers.wordpress.com/2018/08/03/lee-seon-gyun-shes-my-lee-ji-an/

Yes I have read that post thank you :) what I meant was the one in the link, there was those individual quotes and that’s one of them. Im annoyed I didn’t take a screenshot of it but I couldn't quite believe what I read. Hopefully we get the rest of the translation of the magazine when it comes out 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ann04 said:

I keep trying the links but I think theyre broken/deleted due to magazing copyright. But I do remember seeing a translated quote in one of the pics, IU said along these lines, “DH is a man you can’t help to fall in love with.”  I just wanted to verify if that was actually what was said? I mean if it’s correct, that’s like ittttt already :wub:

I think the quote translates to “There’s no reason she wouldn’t like Dong Hoon.”  

Not quite as romantic as we'd like.  Lol.

• Like 6

This drama is so good. I just finished it and it's probably my all-time favorite K drama now. Feels. I'm happy I learned about this forum. I'm just gonna back read a lot, for now, to continue savoring the feelings I felt watching My Mister.

• Like 9