[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

13 hours ago, h2ogirl said:

Because I'm determined to hunt down as many breadcrumbs as possible... :ph34r:

This is the original character relationship chart with the lovelines, right? Sigh...

With the correct understanding of the code, what one used to see as a breadcrumb could turn out to be a whack over the head because it is so obvious.  Rewatching episode 8 last night, I came to the Omma’s birthday scene and in particular, the part where they are talking to Ji Seok on the phone.  I found myself caught completely by surprise at the sudden change of scene from birthday dinner to Ji An working in the kitchen just as Dong Hoon asks his son about son’s girlfriend. @kerfuffle_95 already did an awesome job analyzing this scene in the following link, so I won't repeat it here.  But I thought it really felt in-your-face now that I understand the secret code the PD has taught us. 

But, I promised I would try to rewatch from the paternal relationship side.  Soooo… Dong Hoon is quietly shipping his son with this pretty and nice young lady we see on our screen?  The one towards whom he feels fiercely protective with every fiber of his being? :lol::vicx:  

• Like 4
  • LOL 6

LSG would kill it in out and out  romantic role. I wonder how long we have to wait for that to happen.

As a shipper i  can’t even digest father- daughter relation after that explosive train scene  “ I am so decent I can’t squish you hence I am shielding you  , but this closeness is killing me and I am doing everything to keep my hands from touching you” .

• Like 6

2 hours ago, t123han said:

LSG would kill it in out and out  romantic role. I wonder how long we have to wait for that to happen.

As a shipper i  can’t even digest father- daughter relation after that explosive train scene  “ I am so decent I can’t squish you hence I am shielding you  , but this closeness is killing me and I am doing everything to keep my hands from touching you” .

wGZZ3UR.jpg

That clenched fist is everything...

• Like 7
  • LOL 2

4 hours ago, widala said:

Haha I’m so glad you learnt to gif

That, my dear is a sign of his chivalrousness...his intent to keep a distance from her no matter what ;)

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote images, thanks! :)
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, widala said:

That was one of those scenes that made me a fan of LSK. Nuanced acting at the highest level. His clenched fist was enough to convey the equivalent of so many lines of dialogue. And brilliant writing and directing too! 

Now, just imagine if there was a love scene written into this drama between PDH and LJA... With such writing,  acting and directing,  it would be one for the books!  Too bad we never got that. Oh well. 

On 7/15/2018 at 4:15 PM, mylovelystar said:

Just sharing caps of our OTP

cr @.yumi^^

@mylovelystar  ahhh.  They're so cute!  I don't see LSK and LJE.  Or I do see them and am amazed again at how much chemistry they have.  Yes, despite the age difference that all those other people keep harping about.  I honestly think their chemistry is more explosive (and yes, more sexually charged when they act onscreen together) compared to other onscreen couples whose ages are much closer to each other.   

Oops.  Sorry for the succeeding posts, Admins.  I didn't notice.  Joesonghamnida!  

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote images, thanks! :)
  • Like 11

3 hours ago, akhenaten said:

That was one of those scenes that made me a fan of LSK. Nuanced acting at the highest level. His clenched fist was enough to convey the equivalent of so many lines of dialogue. And brilliant writing and directing too! 

Now, just imagine if there was a love scene written into this drama between PDH and LJA... With such writing,  acting and directing,  it would be one for the books!  Too bad we never got that. Oh well. 

MM-FYlgEjCF1bhmD2NwOUBlguz5GuFcV90LEE9sESOsNOa4X6qt5O-1oHQbG0vjrHk1SBaAu2siGfLabQxG4eIfGN8ksY89E_oTcbcQEsPWAen4WV8pIGqjLTd13EEE09QDxM3oh

Before that clenched fist is shown, right around 57 sec, for a minute fraction of a second he looks at her before very very quickly looking away uncomfortably:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

He...he...Aren’t we reading too much into every scene. 

This is what happens when we don’t get in your face romance. Shippers like us are so desperate to find any clue. This is some high level detective work. I dint even realise that look !!!! 

But he was anyways very much aware of her presence. She is so tiny compared to him and her closeness might have felt like a hug to him. Maybe he felt he embraced her since she could fit right into his arms there. 

Now let me go and imagine more raunchy stuff !!!! 

• Like 1
  • LOL 11

4 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

Before that clenched fist is shown, right around 57 sec, for a minute fraction of a second he looks at her before very very quickly looking away uncomfortably:

Happy Tuesday:) How is everyone's week so far?  I loved that first train scene between LJA and PDH because as much as he was trying not to touch her, she on the other hand was so taken a back by their closeness. I am not sure whether the PDnim/writernim intended this scene to tease for a loveline or that unexpected oozing spark was mainly because of the natural chemistry between Lee Jieun and Lee Sung Gyun. It is still such a toss up in my opinion even after rewatching it multiple times. I was so confused with that scene during the initial broadcast. I was like wait I thought there was no official loveline?:huh: Why was my heart racing all of a sudden? What the heck was that?  Talking about a chemistry so explosive that it could possibly snapped a train pole if they stayed glued to each other. In the back pages, some posters called the spark like  "butter melting" that you could cut a knife right through it:lol:. Yes, the chemistry was that strong.

I know that LJE openly referred to LSG as her best partner but I also think she was his best partner too. I watched LSG's movies/dramas over the years. He had some chemistry with most of his leading ladies but never quite the spark of electricity that he had with his leading lady in My Ajusshi. If you think about it of all the actresses that LSG was paired with, "the spark" had to be with IU of all people? Who would have thought right? Talking about odd and complete opposites that they might as well be a variable in a mathematical equation that does not make sense. They are such an unlikely pairing even their personal career trajectories are so different.. She is a well loved top artist to the point that sometimes every single news about her is blown out of proportion. He on the other hand is an award winning thespian (borrowing @akhenaten's term:D ) that most people loves to overlook despite his great talent in kdramaland. But for some reason LJE and LSG connected in an emotional level as actors and have that palpable chemistry on screen. They can just sit, not talk, look at each other and viewers can already understand their pain and suffering. These two are so lucky to have found this type of onscreen chemistry. Not many actors are granted the same opportunity of finding their best partner throughout their careers.

About the controversy from the previous pages, I am seriously going to be upset if My Ajusshi, KWS, writer Park, LJE, and LSG will be snubbed of award nominations next year because of this ridiculousness:angry: done by people who didn't even watch the show. I will wait until the end of the year if there will be other kdramas that is unique, thought provoking, well acted, and emotionally charging like My Ajusshi. So far no new shows have peek my interest. I am stuck in a kdrama rut after the triple gems of Misty, Mother, and My Ajusshi. My kdrama excellence bar is set so high this year.  No pun intended but I dropped Mr Sunshine despite my admiration for Kim Taeri. I can' t take the close ups and heroic shots every damn episode.  I was cringing that I am afraid I will suffer from a locked jaw. I think I should switch to Jdramas. Any recommendations?

• Like 12

6 hours ago, timidjock0819 said:

About the controversy from the previous pages, I am seriously going to be upset if My Ajusshi, KWS, writer Park, LJE, and LSG will be snubbed of award nominations next year because of this ridiculousness:angry: done by people who didn't even watch the show. I will wait until the end of the year if there will be other kdramas that is unique, thought provoking, well acted, and emotionally charging like My Ajusshi. So far no new shows have peek my interest. I am stuck in a kdrama rut after the triple gems of Misty, Mother, and My Ajusshi. My kdrama excellence bar is set so high this year.  No pun intended but I dropped Mr Sunshine despite my admiration for Kim Taeri. I can' t take the close ups and heroic shots every damn episode.  I was cringing that I am afraid I will suffer from a locked jaw. I think I should switch to Jdramas. Any recommendations?

M must be the lucky letter in k-dramaland this year as exemplified by the quality of Misty, Mother, and My Ajusshi .  Let's see if Mr. Sunshine belongs in that group.  I am trying very hard to stay objective in my watch, but yeah to what you said.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, timidjock0819 said:

So far no new shows have peek my interest. I am stuck in a kdrama rut after the triple gems of Misty, Mother, and My Ajusshi. My kdrama excellence bar is set so high this year.  No pun intended but I dropped Mr Sunshine despite my admiration for Kim Taeri. I can' t take the close ups and heroic shots every damn episode.  I was cringing that I am afraid I will suffer from a locked jaw. I think I should switch to Jdramas. Any recommendations?

Right there with you. The three Ms sucked all my drama energy. I started with Mother, dropped it because it was too heavy, moved on to Misty, got hooked on it, the ending dragged me under a bus and with no expectations at all started My Ahjussi...only to end up completely transformed. I will never be able to watch a drama like I did in the past again.

I started watching Mother again recently...and it isn't as good as I remembered. Some of the conflicts are resolved too quickly, there's too much narration instead of letting the characters unravel the story with dramatic action, and I suspect the chase/adventure is going to take up the bulk of the last 6 episodes. I don't think those points would have been so glaringly obvious to me before My Ahjussi.

And let's not get started on Mr Sunshine...(I haven't yet ;) )

• Like 5

@timidjock0819

I'm stuck in a rut too, like you. I've picked and dropped ~6 Kdramas after MA. So I keep reliving the MA watching experience.

You could try the new J-drama Good Doctor. I heard it's good. Plus, it has Ueno Juri and Kento Yamazaki! Have you seen 1 Liter of Tears yet? It really touched my heart. So far, it's my #1 J-drama.

---

I was going through Ep 3 to check something, and thought this bit was interesting. (Since no one has done any traffic signals analysis, I've decided to pick it up again. Wish me luck!)

DH tries to ask JA out for dinner (to thank her, yada yada), but JA coolly brushes it aside.

PQmtstr.jpg

Later that night, DH waits for JA's phone call. Interestingly, the camera pans over to his family photo and JS's photo, then to him and his phone. JA doesn't call. In the next scene, SH teases him about JA (DH calls her a "kid" to thwart off the teasing)... and then the talk about temptation comes up.

U7Txpa3.jpg

If I'm not reading too much into this, JA is the temptation / enticement that will be a severe trial of his marriage. Yes, they never act sleazy and sleep together like JY and YH, but I very much believe that they get into an affair, an emotional affair. And that's one of the major reasons that YH couldn't make the marriage work anymore, even if she wanted to.

Just look at her knowing look - Ah, your heart really has left me.

EIHkqwN.gif

Here are some parallels of YH's affair and DH's affair, in case you're interested. Shoutout to @ccl82 for initiating this. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, h2ogirl said:

Have you seen 1 Liter of Tears yet? It really touched my heart. So far, it's my #1 J-drama.

I was going to recommend this too. I watched it about 8 years ago and rewatched it again a while back. It never fails to make me sad. 

2 hours ago, h2ogirl said:

Since no one has done any traffic signals analysis, I've decided to pick it up again. Wish me luck!)

Didn’t we have a bunch of traffic signal analysis? Or you mean no one has done any after that? 

Anyway, Im with you too in regards with dropping dramas. I tried watching but I am always waiting for a moment, something, that would hit me right in the feels like MA has done. My bad. They just feel a bit half hearted and the build up leading to a climax does not really satisfy... I felt like there were loads of potentially really good dramas (with very good and/or well known actors casted in) this year that just fell short of expectation. Just goes in to show that an actor alone cannot guarantee a good drama. Its the whole package and MA delivered so well:unsure:

and about the drama Mother, I tried watching it before but I found the pace sooo slow, it felt like they weren’t really getting into the story. So I dropped it at episode 8 I think. I really just couldn’t get myself to watch i:huh:. Such a shame as I was looking forward to it

• Like 8

Dear fellow MA fans,

If you are waiting to find a show that comes near My Ajussi on quality and "hooking-ability" to be able to watch and enjoy a new drama, then I'm afraid you will have to wait many many years or maybe forever.

This kind of quality from a tv production happens only a few times in a viewer lifetime: it is a kind of epiphany that arises through a conjunction of mysterious and mystical phenomena!!

My advice: put MA on its due high place, then lower your expectations - making an epistemological cut or a Kierkegaardian leap -, and with a detached espirit, I believe, one can be able to watch and enjoy another drama after MA. 

True: It is not easy, I myself tried two or three times (About Time, Secretary Kim and Marry Me), before being able to enjoy (as entertanment) a new show. This happened with Investigation Couple (I like very much the main actor) and I'm currently enjoying Mr Sunshine (in spite of not being a fan of KES - BTW I'm surprised that some issues from MA surface here too [age gap and "pretty young face can be a cold murderer, but I love him and hope he will get the girl"] lol). I don't expect more than a few hours of pure tv entertainment, nor do I expect (or want) to be hooked, just to have enough interess to be able to follow and enjoy a show without much engagement. And this is working  now :)

P.S.: Another point - I will be surprised if MA get some awards. Not because it hasn't enough quality (on the contrary!!!), but precisely because its high quality. We can't forget that this is an industry, and in this environiment quality means high ratings: even if MA was a beloved drama, its ratings wasn't the highest amongst the higher ratings (e.g.: LL, Secretary Kim and that Noona food drama have an average higher ratings than MA). I'm afraid that if this KES drama keeps its high ratings, there will be no place to MA in the awards, nor to others dramas :(. So, in regards to awards, I think we should also lower our expectations. 

This is all for now. Back to my logged out lurker mode ;) .

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

@ninaanin agree. It's quite frustrating that the award-giving bodies in SK seem to focus more on quantity than quality.  They seem to equate high ratings with high quality. This results in excellent shows like MA getting overlooked. I'm still hoping that it gets recognized,  but with high-profile and big-budget dramas like Mr. Sunshine coming into the picture,  I don't see it happening. Too bad because MA was such a good show and to me, Lee Ji An was LJE's breakout role. She deserves to be recognized for it. And of course LSK and the supporting cast. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, ninaanin said:

Dear fellow MA fans,

If you are waiting to find a show that comes near My Ajussi on quality and "hooking-ability" to be able to watch and enjoy a new drama, then I'm afraid you will have to wait many many years or maybe forever.

This kind of quality from a tv production happens only a few times in a viewer lifetime: it is a kind of epiphany that arises through a conjunction of mysterious and mystical phenomena!!

My advice: put MA on its due high place, then lower your expectations - making an epistemological cut or a Kierkegaardian leap -, and with a detached espirit, I believe, one can be able to watch and enjoy another drama after MA. 

True: It is not easy, I myself tried two or three times (About Time, Secretary Kim and Marry Me), before being able to enjoy (as entertanment) a new show. This happened with Investigation Couple (I like very much the main actor) and I'm currently enjoying Mr Sunshine (in spite of not being a fan of KES - BTW I'm surprised that some issues from MA surface here too [age gap and "pretty young face can be a cold murderer, but I love him and hope he will get the girl"] lol). I don't expect more than a few hours of pure tv entertainment, nor do I expect (or want) to be hooked, just to have enough interess to be able to follow and enjoy a show without much engagement. And this is working  now :)

P.S.: Another point - I will be surprised if MA get some awards. Not because it hasn't enough quality (on the contrary!!!), but precisely because its high quality. We can't forget that this is an industry, and in this environiment quality means high ratings: even if MA was a beloved drama, its ratings wasn't the highest amongst the higher ratings (e.g.: LL, Secretary Kim and that Noona food drama have an average higher ratings than MA). I'm afraid that if this KES drama keeps its high ratings, there will be no place to MA in the awards, nor to others dramas :(. So, in regards to awards, I think we should also lower our expectations. 

This is all for now. Back to my logged out lurker mode ;) .

I think they still have a chance to win Baeksang's Best Drama category (or at the very least, be nominated)

This year's best drama is Mother (average ratings: 3.46%) while in 2017 is Dear My Friends (average ratings: 5.06%) which is not that far off from My Ahjussi's average ratings (4.98%). Achieving high ratings is not the prerequisite to get this award so I feel like Baeksang is quite unbiased when it comes to this category. The only thing that worries me is if they take public reception into consideration. My Ahjussi received a lot of controversies in the beginning so I wonder if that factor will get in the way of them winning the award.

In my opinion Kim Won Suk has a chance to win the best director category too and also Lee Sun Gyun to at least be nominated for the best actor category. For him to win will be a bit difficult, since there's a lot of competitors this year (some of them are Jo Seung Woo with Life, Jung Kyung Ho with Life on Mars, and Lee Byung Hun with Mr. Sunshine) But it's still possible.

For me, it doesn't matter if they don't win, but if they don't get nominated, I will fight someone LOL. I want to see the cast, director, screenwriter to go to the awards ceremony. They deserve that.

• Like 9