[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

On 7/13/2018 at 2:21 AM, sadiesmith said:

@arctichare, did you see @widala's post earlier?  She and you obviously need to team up together to write us this fan-fic.

I missed @widala's gem of a post earlier. I need to do some serious back reading. Haha I really wish I could write fanfiction. But writing is just soooo hard. My eternal respect for fanfic writers.

I think one of the reasons I really want to see Ji An and Dong Hoon sort of become unlikely partners or whatever is because I really enjoyed their antagonistic chemistry at the start of the show.

I mean don't get me wrong I really love their whole - "You're a good person. No you're a good person." - unconditional love and support thing they had going on by the end of the show. But I also really enjoyed it when they didn't trust each other at all (or liked each other) but couldn't help but be intrigued by each other. Especially Dong Hoon cause Ji An was doing it for the money at the start at least.

There's something really magnetic about their scenes when they're just starting to get to know each other.

Just to share a few examples.

Spoiler

image.png

image.png

There's a beat before Dong Hoon responds because I think he's just so shocked that this girl, this temp has figured out what's really going on in the company. You can see him sort of re-assess his opinion of her (or at least that's my interpretation).

image.png

image.png

Then there's this scene. Another of my favourites -

image.png

Getting angry at Ji An, confronting her in the office in front of everyone. It's one of the first signs of life we see from Dong Hoon on the show. The scene is so tense and when it starts it looks like Dong Hoon has the upper hand but then Ji An says this -

image.png

And Dong Hoon doesn't really have an answer to that. Because she's right, he is going through his life like it's a punishment. So he tries to deflect with his "Do your parents know you're behaving this way?" but Ji An just throws that back in his face.

image.png

Which causes Dong Hoon to snap back in quite an uncharacteristic fashion.

image.png

I just found it really really interesting how Ji An was able to push his buttons and see through him so early on in the show. She had barely started wire-tapping him, so I'm not sure how much of that even contributed to this. This is one of the first instances in the show where Dong Hoon begins to fight back so to speak. He even confronts that guy who insulted Sang Hoon at the end of this episode. Her words leave him shaken and that is confirmed by Dong Hoon himself at the end of the episode - She knows who I am.

She really did wake him up.

image.png

• Like 9
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 4

9 minutes ago, ann04 said:

I saw this review https://m.pantip.com/topic/37709937?

i think it’s in arabic? But used web translate and it was very readable. There’s loads of interesting points in the review and most of the thigs she pointed out are what we’ve pretty much discussed here. It’s good to see another person’s take on the drama 

That’s not Arabic .. it looks Thai. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, arctichare said:

I think one of the reasons I really want to see Ji An and Dong Hoon sort of become unlikely partners or whatever is because I really enjoyed their antagonistic chemistry at the start of the show.

I mean don't get me wrong I really love their whole - "You're a good person. No you're a good person." - unconditional love and support thing they had going on by the end of the show. But I also really enjoyed it when they didn't trust each other at all (or liked each other) but couldn't help but be intrigued by each other. Especially Dong Hoon cause Ji An was doing it for the money at the start at least.

There's something really magnetic about their scenes when they're just starting to get to know each other.

Just to share a few examples.

Hide contents

And Dong Hoon doesn't really have an answer to that. Because she's right, he is going through his life like it's a punishment. So he tries to deflect with his "Do your parents know you're behaving this way?" but Ji An just throws that back in his face.

Which causes Dong Hoon to snap back in quite an uncharacteristic fashion.

I just found it really really interesting how Ji An was able to push his buttons and see through him so early on in the show. She had barely started wire-tapping him, so I'm not sure how much of that even contributed to this. This is one of the first instances in the show where Dong Hoon begins to fight back so to speak. He even confronts that guy who insulted Sang Hoon at the end of this episode. Her words leave him shaken and that is confirmed by Dong Hoon himself at the end of the episode - She knows who I am.

She really did wake him up.

@arctichare, thanks for taking us back to the beginning, to the time when they did not like each other, yet were highly intrigued by each other.  She could definitely see through him even before the wire-tap, which tells me there is always a connection between them that is hard to explain.  And I totally would enjoy more scenes of them at the beginning with all that antagonism at full force.  

I am slowing re-watching the show and this time, just to make it more interesting, trying to see it through the lens of "Dong Hoon is a father without a son." :lol:

@h2ogirl, if you find Pasta a bit hard to swallow, give Miss Korea a try.  MK has many awesome female characters, which you might appreciate.  Pasta has very very cute chemistry.  

• Like 7

On 5/29/2018 at 6:30 PM, reign143 said:

@justamom kekeke i know it's just that IU's last work Moon Lovers she posted lots of it that's why I said that :)

I just saw this post from weeks ago about IU posting a lot of Moon Lovers related stuff on her social media after that show ended, but no mention at all about My Ajusshi after this show ended.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sadiesmith said:

I just saw this post from weeks ago about IU posting a lot of Moon Lovers related stuff on her social media after that show ended, but no mention at all about My Ajusshi after this show ended.  

@sadiesmith not surprising. Moon Lovers was safe to discuss even after it ended. There was an age gap between her and Lee Joon Gi as well but it was set in the past.  The way I see it, age gaps where the man is older seems acceptable to Korean viewers in sageuks but not in a drama with a modern setting. And especially not when the story is too realistic. And of course, ML didn't excatly detract from the public's perception of LJE as IU,  the idol and nation's little sister. 

I do believe LJE doesn't post much about MA not because she doesn't want to. She clearly sees it as one of her great accomplishments. But I guess she's also trying to balance her actress image with her idol image. There are still some people,  even her own fans,  who may not yet be prepared for LJE the serious actress,  which is what MA was all about.  

My own opinion though is that she should talk about it more. That way,  she can help them get used to the idea and maybe even help those who were negative about it to appreciate MA. 

• Like 6

Oh I would love to hear some counter claims for arguments about “DH is a  father without son hence showering the fatherly love to jian”. 

No matter how many times I rewatch I just can’t miss the spark between them. The physical tension by the end of it was evident with all those restrained shots of him staring at her hands, her asking for a hug with so much of hope in her eyes,him trying to hold the urge to hug her. 

Funny thing, when he refused her the hug first time , PD deliberately gave us a long shot of him climbing down the stairs and walking past the road. I was trying to observe if he did sigh anywhere, trying to find out if there was a trace of regret of refusing in his breath. But couldn’t get any clue. I am sure expert shipper detectives here can figure out something in that long walk of his. I was just left wondering why was that shot added if not to show DH internal turmoil after refusing the hug !!!! 

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, t123han said:

Oh I would love to hear some counter claims for arguments about “DH is a  father without son hence showering the fatherly love to jian”. 

No matter how many times I rewatch I just can’t miss the spark between them. The physical tension by the end of it was evident with all those restrained shots of him staring at her hands, her asking for a hug with so much of hope in her eyes,him trying to hold the urge to hug her. 

Funny thing, when he refused her the hug first time , PD deliberately gave us a long shot of him climbing down the stairs and walking past the road. I was trying to observe if he did sigh anywhere, trying to find out if there was a trace of regret of refusing in his breath. But couldn’t get any clue. I am sure expert shipper detectives here can figure out something in that long walk of his. I was just left wondering why was that shot added if not to show DH internal turmoil after refusing the hug !!!! 

If a father look at his daughter the way PDH look at LJA

vRFnWqA.jpg

I've watched that scene many times, and haven't found even a smallest clue that PDH regret refusing the hug (there's a small sigh after he reach the bottom stair and turn to the road, but I don't know if it's regret or just taking a breath after climbing down that many stairs :sweatingbullets:)

BUT, I think that shows how determined PDH to create a distance, not just from LJA, but also from his own feelings.

Someone mentioned about his body language as they walked home together. He walked slower but refused to look at her direction. All the way, he kept thinking about how LJA had defended him (and admitted that she like him) in front of other directors, and LJA told him that he's a good person. That affected him and he wasn't ready to face it yet...

• Like 1
  • LOL 6

@sadiesmith

Oh God. You're trying to see the paternal relationship people's side? Just... don't.

WJyuW3c.gif

And already seen Miss Korea, babe. It's one of my favorites. Even when it was airing alongside the major hit You From Another Star, I found MK the more heartwarming show. Partly because of LSK's charms. ;)

---

@t123han 

Like @widala said, he did let out a tiny sigh just before we see Joon Young pull up. I definitely think it's related to forcing himself to not hug JA. If you notice, we always hear his (heavy) sighs when he's particularly stressed (for example, when YH keeps insisting that he quit his job, when he overhears YH talking to JY on the phone)...

Here's a screenwriter's perspective of that no-hug scene (how it's laden with meaning without the characters screaming it out to us).

• Like 9
  • LOL 3

2 hours ago, widala said:

If a father look at his daughter the way PDH look at LJA

I've watched that scene many times, and haven't found even a smallest clue that PDH regret refusing the hug (there's a small sigh after he reach the bottom stair and turn to the road, but I don't know if it's regret or just taking a breath after climbing down that many stairs :sweatingbullets:)

BUT, I think that shows how determined PDH to create a distance, not just from LJA, but also from his own feelings.

Someone mentioned about his body language as they walked home together. He walked slower but refused to look at her direction. All the way, he kept thinking about how LJA had defended him (and admitted that she like him) in front of other directors, and LJA told him that he's a good person. That affected him and he wasn't ready to face it yet...

@widala not sure if I said this here before but all I can say to those advocates of a paternal relationship between PDH and LJA is this:  i have a father and that's not how he looks at me. :D

• Like 6
  • LOL 3

3 hours ago, widala said:

Allow me to post these shots again:

bY6QvrMjKIH9hxMJd6D5Zno_3N8upvLykpLcKsWRBEQsWAEzXgzk54Z1Ws-h7Xfur4_3__eTpAvYPR3xOe6f27qHUeC7k0BZVmo4Yc3r-WQw530sV1FJg28IXA-EnORXjvCNK7qt

H08hnVp7t7q3EQjL0yPMzKvX0uEB7CbHmBAoD0xTLV_h3yem3wMfn9Af9QJCml9aGj5zeu7WH4j_VW7pZ9hvHhxpMf-Qgg78tv4ssAX6nTeu7kslrfQOV1yNWNVAzvwIerA5Pd6A

70yU5zKxBC33159G-gbzLQgY3dqyhaGds6O9S1ZFEEqW5uxrUED64PYFZkKueTiuo6A04iS2Fd-Bj1fpPpAuAL6b_9wbV-xx23UpoRy0sfSEU-mkvpeUCQGFwd7-CVW07LwT9PGa

6tgVtZUWdwlh3EJyCJLsMg52uxL3TSuCQ1pqIZEbYs_Vyk-gP1beOE_BUHW_q4jpVhQ0SxEaptPRGGsh1UHv96_SFKhiBYhsGMmn5KhH_2nvb3HfV-6GbG9uDtq_tNzuzcx3KqRWEMyYVEwPMjHj1afguTLPK16gCn7sA9Jb0WylHK4t-Mz9ydn-tzqvPaGTbmfK7TNl781IN7cLU5duNEd2W_7mEvww5sfBhbH9y2qCD0nXh9sg8ZLVTLVE5vsQm3YBK7vte6NaFPcc

nJF195KO-jP8DOMN0cEeFfR7nvtwSid7-GRYqDGiJTjUsDBwmdxLf8taMJKnv25R7jGo-Xd4MLGrohe2OB9hQoJvtaHSKtZGsT4yS-hh0N4vSZgmLcwp4238ltSKgoaT-_swQ3dV

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I can take platonic but not father :wacko: especially after that last scene between the two of them. That would irk me so much. Can they reallly see it that way????????? I cant even bring myself to think of a father——— just no:vicx:

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

Regarding the opening scene in ep 13, I always thought the reason for Dong Hoon's long walk back was not really in service of his character but in service of Do Joon Young. I think it just provided them a smoother transition to cut to this scene.

image.png

Showing that Joon Young had followed them home or was waiting for Ji An. He obviously could not have been waiting any closer as Dong Hoon and especially Ji An would notice. And if they didn't have this shot then it would just be an awkward cut to Joon Young waiting at the foot of the stairs without any context.

image.png

It felt similar to the scene in ep 8 where Ji An tells him fighting! and Dong Hoon appears surprised at first. Then there's a long moment where we just see him walk back to his apartment and he doesn't show much reaction (even though we know how much that fighting! meant to him) but at the end of the scene we see Kwang Il has followed him home. So a scene which I originally thought was about Dong Hoon was actually about Kwang Il instead.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

@t123han

Based on prior knowledge / Google translate:

-- Family

-- Rivals

-- Affection

-- Support

-------

A little gift for skinship-starved shippers. ;)

Spoiler

The kiss scene, reimagined... (Credit to my delulu sister for egging me on)

BKYctCL.gif

GgJcdn5.gif

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6

@h2ogirl, tell your sister I love her. :lol:

Remember this movie?

File:Peppermint-candyposter.jpg

Well, news just broke that Lee Seon Kyun's next project would be a movie with the lead actor from Peppermint Candy Sol Kyung Gu.  It will be directed by same person who did The Merciless (starring Sol Kyung Gu, Im Siwan, and Jeon Hye Jin, aka Mrs. LSK).  Sounds good and everything, but why does it have to be yet another thriller movie opposite another male actor? He already has three in the pipe before this!- Bad Police with Park Hae Joon (monk friend), PMC opposite Ha Jung Woo, and Parasite with Song Kang Ho.  Does no movie director want this guy in the romance genre anymore?

• Like 8
  • Sad 1